• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Red Blaster said:
Precisely. Just lock onto them in third person using L1/LB and fire. Do it right before you roll or else they'll turn around and see you.
So walk up behind them, hold down LB, then hold down X then release X then forward and A to roll into them

bubnbob said:
I like achievements as much as the next guy, but that shouldn't turn you off. This is a well done collection, and I've never played Peace Walker, MGS3, or the MSX games. I'll likely be doing the same with the DMC Trilogy next.
Oh I'll buy it/play it eventually, but I'm OCD and have to 1000 my games so it's just delayed the inevitable.

Mothman91

How do I go straight for the choke in mgs2? I'm trying to get the achievement while I'm playing. Each time I press X, he hip tosses him, but sometimes he goes for the choke then I just snap his neck. Any tips on this?

Mothman91 said:
How do I go straight for the choke in mgs2? I'm trying to get the achievement while I'm playing. Each time I press X, he hip tosses him, but sometimes he goes for the choke then I just snap his neck. Any tips on this?

I believe the hip toss happens when you're pressing the analog stick at all. You have to let go of the stick first and then hit the button. Try to have a light hand on the button and you should be able to just tap-choke...

Mothman91

Crazymoogle said:
I believe the hip toss happens when you're pressing the analog stick at all. You have to let go of the stick first and then hit the button. Try to have a light hand on the button and you should be able to just tap-choke...
Yeah, I have to pause behind him then I can go for the choke. Thanks for the tips.

Quick impressions...
Loading times are superb, 1-2 seconds.
Controls are a bit confusing because of the 360.
Game is looking fine still even after all these years..

Matchew

MGS3 is awesome in this collection, looks good and runs great. I can actually see the flying squirrel now. I'm doing something different and playing MGS3-PW-MG-MG2-MGS-MGS2 and acting like MGS4 didn't happen.

I made myself complete MG1, I did not enjoy it as much. MG2 on the other hand was such a big improvement over the original and is a great game;however, playing MGS1 right after it makes you realize that when people mean Metal Gear Solid being the 3D version of Metal Gear (2), they were not lying!

B.K. said:
How can you ignore the best game in the series?
gVp6J.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I replayed MGS4 recently.

It's chock full of flaws. Undeniable flaws. Gameplay-wise. Storyline-wise. Everything.

And I'm a MG fanboy :p

Matchew

BocoDragon said:
I replayed MGS4 recently.

It's chock full of flaws. Undeniable flaws. Gameplay-wise. Storyline-wise. Everything.

And I'm a MG fanboy :p

Agreed. I liked MGS4 but I can't ever see myself playing it again. I hated the long wait between acts, the horrible bosses, Snake was old for no reason, and the end was just...horrible. I'm a huge fan of MG also and MGS4 was a disappointing end.

Back to the collection...it is just awesome..

I read that Guy Savage isn't in MGS3. That's a shame but expected, they're not gonna spend time porting another engine for a quick sequence. The whole exchange between Snake and Sigint isn't there either.

Kojima should of put clips from Nosferatu in there instead. That's public domain isn't it?

Chuck

Still without luck
overcast said:
Wasn't MGS4 GAF's GOTY? Just saying. I have yet to play it.
Should have been GTA 4.
don't kill me everyone>_<

...and you just gave my avatar a -4/10 ¬_¬

BocoDragon

B.K. said:
Its only flaw is that it's too short.
Flaws:

Gameplay:
The MGS4 gameplay is really only showcased in the first two Acts, and really deserved to be iterated on in later chapters. The "spy in a warzone" gameplay is completely abandoned. And you never get the traditional MGS "spy infiltrating a high-concept military installation" gameplay either. Acts 3+ are middle-of-the-road action shooters.

Storyline:
MGS4's inter-act "plane sequences" reveal the storyline as essentially naval-gazing and quite dorky. Instead of being a badass thrust into an extreme situation, you are a gang of nerdy anime stereotypes with a tendency to overanalyze every sitatuion to death. The pace is brought to a crawl as you discuss every detail. Part of the appeal of every MG and MGS game was that you were a super-spy in the depths of a crazy situation at the edge of the world. MGS4 is like the world's lamest family who discuss everything in hand-holding details until you're beyond bored of it.

overcast

ChuckNoLuck said:
Should have been GTA 4.
don't kill me everyone>_<

...and you just gave my avatar a -4/10 ¬_¬
Naw dude.. I was kidding man.. Ponies.. are cool.

I liked GTA 4 a lot too.

Lothars

SFGamer said:
Agreed. I liked MGS4 but I can't ever see myself playing it again. I hated the long wait between acts, the horrible bosses, Snake was old for no reason, and the end was just...horrible. I'm a huge fan of MG also and MGS4 was a disappointing end.

Back to the collection...it is just awesome..
I disagree fully MGS4 is an amazing game, It's not perfect and I wish you could install it fully, It still deserves everything that it got.

This collection is incredible as well and I can't wait to dig into all three games and play them, I am glad to finally own Peace Walker.

overcast said:
Wasn't MGS4 GAF's GOTY? Just saying. I have yet to play it.

Yup.

The game is flawed but it is a very good game. Gaf is a hivemind though and has assimilated the opinion that it is the worst thing to ever be unleashed on mankind. Its really kind of silly.

I personally think its the weakest in series as well but I still rank it as one of the better games I have played this gen even after accounting for all the hokey dialogue and the crazy plot. It has charm.

BocoDragon

BannedEpisode said:
Yup.

The game is flawed but it is a very good game. Gaf is a hivemind though and has assimilated the opinion that it is the worst thing to ever be unleashed on mankind. Its really kind of silly.

I personally think its the weakest in series as well but I still rank it as one of the better games I have played this gen even after accounting for all the hokey dialogue and the crazy plot. It has charm.
Really..? Because the original trajectory of the GAF hivemind was originally that we should all love it.

If people hate it these days, it's the effect of the game itself, trust me.

I enjoy parts of it. But I think it essentially lacks what made me defend older MGS to death.

MGS4 is flawed, but nothing will take away from that magical first time playing through the game. It wasn't until I sat back afterward and thought about it that it started to fall apart, but all the fan service, all the characters, all the cutscenes, Act 1 and 2, then Act 4 omg.

Quickly booting up MGS2 and 3 again after not seeing it for...three years. Let me tell you, they just don't make games like that anymore, not even Kojima. Also, thanks to MGS4, I now skip all cutscenes in all the games.. I can't stand it anymore. There used to be a time when I would hover over every single word...

and btw MGS4/MGO still has the best control. PW has a modified version but still not as intuitive

BocoDragon said:
Flaws:

Gameplay:
The MGS4 gameplay is really only showcased in the first two Acts, and really deserved to be iterated on in later chapters. The "spy in a warzone" gameplay is completely abandoned. And you never get the traditional MGS "spy infiltrating a high-concept military installation" gameplay either. Acts 3+ are middle-of-the-road action shooters.

Act 4 is a fantastic stealth section. Really intense if you don't use chaff grenades.

On topic, I'm still on the fence about picking this up right now. I really enjoy MGS2 and 3 and I've never played Substance and Peace Walker, but it's hard to justify spending $50 on a set of games when I already own 2/3 of it. Still, they are fantastic games (can't speak for PW).

RadioHeadAche said:
Act 4 is a fantastic stealth section. Really intense if you don't use chaff grenades.

On topic, I'm still on the fence about picking this up right now. I really enjoy MGS2 and 3 and I've never played Substance and Peace Walker, but it's hard to justify spending $50 on a set of games when I already own 2/3 of it. Still, they are fantastic games (can't speak for PW).

The conversion is amazing. The sound is amazing (and I only have TV stereo sound!). PW is a pretty decent game, better than most out there, although it is co-op heavy to get the most out of it.

Listen, close your eyes, and imagine MGS3 in 60fps. Also, do you have Fry's near you? It's 40 dollars for this week

BocoDragon said:
Really..? Because the original trajectory of the GAF hivemind was originally that we should all love it.

If people hate it these days, it's the effect of the game itself, trust me.

I enjoy parts of it. But I think it essentially lacks what made me defend older MGS to death.
I get why it polarizes people, my reference to the hive mind is more so concerning the level of vitriol gaffers have for it. It borders on lunacy. It's never "I don't care for it", its "burn it with fire!".

And god forbid someone enjoyed it and says as much lol.

Edit: In anycase MGS4 isn't included in this collection so I'll leave it at that. Looking forward to Playing PW with proper controls.

BeautifulMemory said:
The conversion is amazing. The sound is amazing (and I only have TV stereo sound!). PW is a pretty decent game, better than most out there, although it is co-op heavy to get the most out of it.

Listen, close your eyes, and imagine MGS3 in 60fps. Also, do you have Fry's near you? It's 40 dollars for this week

We don't have any Fry's stores around here which is probably good because that would only tempt me more. I may try to clear out some of my backlog first before going for this.

i know there is an official MGS4 thread, but as a MGS fan who just recently completed MGS4 (yes...three years late) i must say its a fine game...not the best MGS (that belongs to MGS3) but its nice to see the Snake saga end and see MGS nostalgia in full glory
appearance Raiden and the Shadow Moses level

the very ending is cool....it ties up loose ends at least
but its a little hamfist/contrived
....that Major Zero was behind the Patriots and how Big Boss jumps out at the end and pulls the plug on Old Man Zero....then stands shoulder to shoulder to Solid Snake, the very guy who tried to kill Big Boss in two of the Metal Gear games....

overall great way to end the MGS snake story....there were problems, but a great MGS game for the PS3

BocoDragon

BannedEpisode said:
I get why it polarizes people, my reference to the hive mind is more so concerning the level of vitriol gaffers have for it. It borders on lunacy. It's never "I don't care for it", its "burn it with fire!".
I actually agree with that. I like MGS4 in general, and only in response to a true believer would I outline its faults.

Arklite

Despite the hate, at least people talk about MGS4 in some capacity. Peace Walker, sadly, often seems like a fifth wheel in MGS threads. Hopefully that will change with this compilation, especially since it explains back story concerning Outer Heaven and helps explain what lead Big Boss from MGS3 government agent to a global security threat.

BocoDragon

Arklite said:
Despite the hate, at least people talk about MGS4 in some capacity. Peace Walker, sadly, often seems like a fifth wheel in MGS threads. Hopefully that will change with this compilation, especially since it explains back story concerning Outer Heaven and helps explain what lead Big Boss from MGS3 government agent to a global security threat.
I wouldn't be surprised if a fraction of the fanbase actually played it.

I have no problem, intellectually, with it being on PSP... And I bought it. But something about it being on handheld, and not a big home console experience, I never made it far into the game at all. :p

Arklite

BocoDragon said:
I have no problem, intellectually, with it being on PSP... And I bought it. But something about it being on handheld, and not a big home console experience, I never made it far into the game at all. :p
That's a shame, because aside from being a good game generally, it was also very well tailored for handheld play. Surprisingly, giving it the handheld treatment also meant they "fixed" something critics have always complained about, which was shortening the cutscenes and focusing on the gameplay. In my crazy opinion, Peace Walker has the best pacing outside of MGS1.

AwShucks

MGS4 is awesome. It's just not an awesome "game". I'm perfectly fine with considering it an "interactive movie".

But it's still awesome.

BocoDragon

Arklite said:
That's a shame, because aside from being a good game generally, it was also very well tailored for handheld play. Surprisingly, giving it the handheld treatment also meant they "fixed" something critics have always complained about, which was shortening the cutscenes and focusing on the gameplay. In my crazy opinion, Peace Walker has the best pacing outside of MGS1.
I like the idea of that.... but habitually I'm not wired to play games like that, and I think I'm not alone. :p

I'd better pick up this HD collection to give Peace Walker its due... I can transfar my PSP save, right?

BocoDragon said:
I like the idea of that.... but habitually I'm not wired to play games like that, and I think I'm not alone. :p

I'd better pick up this HD collection to give Peace Walker its due... I can transfar my PSP save, right?

Yes, but you lose trophies. Those precious, yet meaningless things.

Since I don't have it, I demand the "I'm not saying it's the patriots ...but it's the patriots" be on every page

Just thinking of it makes me chuckle. What's the origin of it anyway?

AgentOtaku said:
Since I don't have it, I demand the "I'm not saying it's the patriots ...but it's the patriots" be on every page

Just thinking of it makes me chuckle. What's the origin of it anyway?

It's one of the very, very few meme-related jokes that I actually enjoy.

Top Bottom