• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Desmond

Ridley327 said:
I ordered it on Halloween, but if that's the case, then they should be letting people know about stock issues. Don't tell me it's being delivered tomorrow when there's absolutely no indication that it will be.
They mustn't have received enough from Konami. Amazon here aren't as lax usually, I assume .com is no different

I always wondered during that trek through the water in MGS 3. Does it ever end? I always had to resort to taking the death capsule, or drowning myself to end it.

Ridley327

In other news, one of the trophies in Peace Walker actually led me to discover something new and pretty interesting about how Outer Ops works; the kind of soldier you send in actually impacts the operation a great deal.

Each soldier you recruit have a "class" associated with them, but the game doesn't really tell you about this, as the focus is on what their best characteristic is (are they best suited for Combat, Mess Hall, R&D, Intel or Medical) and what skills they possess (some enable development on certain weapons and items, while some have special abilities if selected for missions). Outer Ops is where this all changes, because the class that your soldier is in impacts their loadout. A Scout will use long-range weapons, Commandos use more explosives and whatnot. This is actually really important when you get into higher-ranked missions, as they start being populated almost entirely by vehicles and a Scout using even the best sniper rifle is going to be completely worthless.

tl;dr version: if you want to get that trophy for beating Capture the Enemy Base 06 with just soldiers, make sure that your whole team is comprised of Elite Commandos.

thechemist

Liquidsnake said:
I always wondered during that trek through the water in MGS 3. Does it ever end? I always had to resort to taking the death capsule, or drowning myself to end it.
It does eventually..

it all depends on how many people you have killed!! So if u kill 2, it will only have 2 people

Yen

Ridley327 said:
In other news, one of the trophies in Peace Walker actually led me to discover something new and pretty interesting about how Outer Ops works; the kind of soldier you send in actually impacts the operation a great deal.

Each soldier you recruit have a "class" associated with them, but the game doesn't really tell you about this, as the focus is on what their best characteristic is (are they best suited for Combat, Mess Hall, R&D, Intel or Medical) and what skills they possess (some enable development on certain weapons and items, while some have special abilities if selected for missions). Outer Ops is where this all changes, because the class that your soldier is in impacts their loadout. A Scout will use long-range weapons, Commandos use more explosives and whatnot. This is actually really important when you get into higher-ranked missions, as they start being populated almost entirely by vehicles and a Scout using even the best sniper rifle is going to be completely worthless.

tl;dr version: if you want to get that trophy for beating Capture the Enemy Base 06 with just soldiers, make sure that your whole team is comprised of Elite Commandos.
My God!

JohngPR

ctrayne said:
I booted up the PC version last night (1080p with some tweaks) and it looks marvelous for a game from 2001.

How did you get the game running in 1080p?

I was just messing around with MGS1 a few minutes ago and the highest resolution (native to the game anyway) is 1024x768

Branson

AgentOtaku said:
Another thing I loved about MGS2 was the bit in the tanker when you were forced to have a shoot-out in subsection. Like the devs finally said, "alright now, you snuck around long enough, here's your reward!"

I fucking loved that sequence back then just because you could finally engage in some gunplay with zero consequence and it looked sooo amazing at the time with the lighting, 1st Person perspective, flashlights, and 60fps.
Zero consequence? I used my tranq gun on that fight last time because I thought it still counted against a no kill run.

Liquidsnake said:
I remember going through this. After reading about it, I regretted picking up the Machine Gun.

JohngPR

Salaadin said:
I ordered with 1 day from amazon and I got it yesterday even though it was slated for 11/10. It shipped Monday afternoon.

Maybe they have short supply so theyre shipping in the order that they were received. When did you guys order it?
I did on 9/30 maybe a few hours after Warios post about it.

I pre-ordered mine October 10th

Desmond

Liquidsnake said:
I could never get the PILL + DROWNING method to work. I must have done it really wrong

Goddammit, is it me or is the pressure sensitivity on the DS3 very different from the DS2? I've been having a really hard time lowering my weapon without firing in MGS2 because of it. :(

mattp

Revolutionary said:
Goddammit, is it me or is the pressure sensitivity on the DS3 very different from the DS2? I've been having a really hard time lowering my weapon without firing in MGS2 because of it. :(
havent tried 2 yet, but it feels the same/is easy to do in 3

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If anyone is waiting for the digital releases, looks like the disc rip is about 24 GB or around there. About 8 gigs each game? Probably even less for Peace Walker and more on the other two

Desmond

Revolutionary said:
Maybe you're just a bit rusty, pressure sensitivity isn't really utilised in modern games

Wario64 said:
If anyone is waiting for the digital releases, looks like the disc rip is about 24 GB or around there. About 8 gigs each game?
I'm waiting for the EU release, and yes, I'll moan about it as long as I can ;)

Are there any brightness settings in these games or located on the main menu? I played through an hour of the Tanker chapter in MGS2 last night, everything looked fantastic and I can’t wait to play more, but the brightness was an issue for me. Could just be I need to recalibrate my TV, but most other games I play look fine without the need for any adjusting.

mattp said:
havent tried 2 yet, but it feels the same/is easy to do in 3
This post made me suspect something was wrong with my controller, so I switched to an older DS3 and it seems to be much better. Haven't accidentally fired yet.
I guess the new one needs to be broken in or something. lol

Ridley327

Wario64 said:
If anyone is waiting for the digital releases, looks like the disc rip is about 24 GB or around there. About 8 gigs each game? Probably even less for Peace Walker and more on the other two
I doubt they're all 8 gigs each, but the DD5.1 soundtrack definitely adds more space. MGS2:S was already larger than 6 gigs on the PS2, and that was with only select cutscenes featuring DD5.1 sound.

burgerdog

I'm having problems sneaking up behind guards in mgs3. It seems like they can hear me regardless of whether I'm walking or crawling behind them. Is there something I'm missing? It's been a while since I last played it.

burgerdog said:
I'm having problems sneaking up behind guards in mgs3. It seems like they can hear me regardless of whether I'm walking or crawling behind them. Is there something I'm missing? It's been a while since I last played it.

Something poorly explained in MGS3 is that you need to switch to the pad to sneak-walk. Maybe there was some light-press analog equivalent but I always reverted to the dpad...

Ridley327

burgerdog said:
There is something you're missing; the d-pad allows you to "stalk" them with no sound.

Branson said:
Zero consequence? I used my tranq gun on that fight last time because I thought it still counted against a no kill run.

lol, this was before trophies and no kill runs. Back when this first came out.

I never play MGS series before and i don't have PS 3 yet but i do own 360 slim console so if anyone don't mind me asking how is the gameplay on the Xbox 360 controller?

Daigoro

Ridley327 said:
There is something you're missing; the d-pad allows you to "stalk" them with no sound.

damn, thats right. its been awhile.

so wait, you have to use the 360 d-pad for this? sounds painful :(

i was thinking about picking this up tomorrow, but this gives me reason to pause. anyone use it yet? is it horrible?

Desmond

Jade Knight 08 said:
I never play MGS series before and i don't have PS 3 yet but i do own 360 slim console so if anyone don't mind me asking how is the gameplay on the Xbox 360 controller?
It should be fine with a 360 (as you never played before), though the buttons aren't pressure sensitive, so 2 and 3 may control weird. I heard PW uses the bumpers for shooting, don't know if that's true

Ridley327 said:
I doubt they're all 8 gigs each, but the DD5.1 soundtrack definitely adds more space. MGS2:S was already larger than 6 gigs on the PS2, and that was with only select cutscenes featuring DD5.1 sound.
They also remastered the audio in Peace Walker as well. It was probably hella compressed on the PSP version. Wouldn't be surprised if they are just using uncompressed audio.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Chacranajxy said:
Well, even as a Metal Gear whore, I'd insist that you shouldn't play Portable Ops. If you've gotta play a portable Metal Gear, make it Ghost Babel.

Good luck playing it on a portable

If you can though it's one of the best entries in the series imo. Paid ridiculous ebay resale prices and don't regret owning a mint copy of the game

I am playing through Peacewalker for the first time. :D Im only through 4 missions, but is has been fun so far. Any chance to play as Big boss is welcomed. :)))))))

This by far is my favorite series of games ever. the PS version of MG got me back into gaming after a 3 year leave of absence. I will for ever be in its debt. I put down BF3 and MW3 to play Peacewalker...............

Ridley327

Retro_ said:
Good luck playing it on a portable

If you can though it's one of the best entries in the series imo. Paid ridiculous ebay resale prices and don't regret owning a mint copy of the game
I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on the 3DS VC in the future. More people do need to play that game, as it's a pretty great continuation of the classic 2D formula.

Desmond said:
It should be fine with a 360 (as you never played before), though the buttons aren't pressure sensitive, so 2 and 3 may control weird. I heard PW uses the bumpers for shooting, don't know if that's true

Thanks for the input. As long as it doesn't feel gimped or hinder my gameplay then i'm golden.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jade Knight 08 said:
Thanks for the input. As long as it doesn't feel gimped or hinder my gameplay then i'm golden.

I can see fighting 'The End' could be annoying on the X360 if
you want to change your clock to cheat it

Desmond

Wario64 said:
Unplug the Ethernet cable, I did that to speed up rent in fable 2

Wario64 said:

I'm pretty sure you can snipe him after one of the cutscenes before his battle (you have to be a quick shot, though).

creid

Ridley327 said:

Wow, this isn't mentioned anywhere in-game, is it? I played a lot of PW and never knew this.

Salaadin

typo said:
I'm pretty sure you can snipe him after one of the cutscenes before his battle (you have to be a quick shot, though).
Yep. I loved seeing him just explode right there in the middle of everything. Its so cool that they let you kill him much earlier than intended.

benzy

Seeing MGS3 looking this clean and running at 60fps is damn amazing.

aaapa7hx.jpg

aazm7le.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
benzy said:
Seeing MGS3 looking this clean and running at 60fps is damn amazing.

http://www.abload.de/img/aaapa7hx.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/aazm7le.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Holy cow.

Please post more.

MercuryLS

Banned
Wow that looks amazing. The only thing I didn't like about MGS3 was 30fps, it felt like a step back from MGS2 in that respect. Can't wait to play this.

Top Bottom