• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Arklite said:
That's a shame, because aside from being a good game generally, it was also very well tailored for handheld play. Surprisingly, giving it the handheld treatment also meant they "fixed" something critics have always complained about, which was shortening the cutscenes and focusing on the gameplay. In my crazy opinion, Peace Walker has the best pacing outside of MGS1.

I'd actually agree with this. The shortened cut-scenes allowed for much better pacing overall. Plus, Heavens Divide. I mean, seriously.

I never once played the game co-op, and it never felt like I had to outside of some post-game stuff.

Buckethead said:
MGS4 spit in the eye of every hardcore MGS fan.

It doesn't exist.

Just like Alien 3 doesn't exist.
ha no
its just a huge piece of fan service that tries to tie up all loose ends albeit not everyone was pleased with the results... (cant satisfy everyone i guess)

but i agree with many...the cutscenes sometimes are too long and overdone

The Lamp

Does this collection come with Metal Gear 1 and 2 for NES like the second disc of MGS3 Subsistence had?

EDIT:
FEATURES | Besides being rendered in HD (720p), all the games run at 60 FPS (Frames Per Second)
and have 5.1 Surround Sound. The MGS2 version is the Substance version which has hundreds of VR Missions,
the MGS3 version is the Subsistence versions which has a 3D camera and the MSX games Metal Gear
and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake.

Missed this. Is this for the CE or all versions?

frAntic_Frog said:
ha no
its just a huge piece of fan service that tries to tie up all loose ends albeit not everyone will be pleased
Retconning hundreds of hours of story your fans spend following = fan service?

Maybe in bizzaro-world where Kojima sports a nice bushy goatee.

But let's not make this thread about that piece of garbage game GOTP.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Let's try to keep all his Metal Gear Solid 4 is shit talk out of here. It's been discussed many times.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was even more awful than MGS3
. Not trolling I just think both were the worst in the series.

The Lamp said:
Does this collection come with Metal Gear 1 and 2 for NES like the second disc of MGS3 Subsistence had?

EDIT:

Missed this. Is this for the CE or all versions?

That should be for both versions. The only differences between the LE and standard are the larger box with alternate art and the artbook. Based on images people posted of the LE, the game itself is identical to the standard release.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Liquidus said:
Let's try to keep all his Metal Gear Solid 4 is shit talk out of here. It's been discussed many times.

Omg talk about argument-diffusing argument-starter.

Must. Not. Debate. XD

Liquidus said:

i think you need to turn in your MGS fan badge now and leave...

i believe the Splinter Cell/Assassin Creed thread is down that way....in the uninspired gaming section

leng jai

So anyone else not had their PS3 LE shipped from Amazon yet?

I ordered the UC3 guide and the LE in the same order and the guide shipped today and MGS is sitting at "Not Yet Shipped" while the shitting estimate says the 9th Nov.

MGS 4 rules. Yes, it has lots of flaws, but (a) so does each game in the series, and (b) overall it's a great, memorable experience with easily the most evolved gameplay.

To each his own though.

EL Beefo

I thought I remembered how much I hated rose, but somehow she's even worse. I'm pretty sure people would hate Raiden much less if she wasn't there. Still a great game though, I'd forgotten how much I loved it.

EL Beefo said:
I thought I remembered how much I hated rose, but somehow she's even worse. I'm pretty sure people would hate Raiden much less if she wasn't there. Still a great game though, I'd forgotten how much I loved it.

That's why I skip the codec conversations in replays of MGS2. Much more enjoyable that way.

So back to the MGS HD talk, the sound quality in this is fantastic. I recently got a decent 5.1 setup, I love how useful sound is.

Only beef is snakes in the grass sound like they are making footstep noises :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
All the cool people know...

MGS TTS > MGS2 > MGS4 > MGS3 >>>> Peace Walker >>>>>>>>>>>>>Portable Ops>>

>>>

>>>

>>> Ac!d

I ain't even trolling! For some reason, I have like the single most unpopular opinion about these games, even though it is undoubtedly my absolute favorite video game franchise, period. I *love* these games. But with that said, I'll absolutely never, ever understand the hate for TTS. The game was better in just about every way, and in no way, shape, or form was anything much more over the top than what we saw it MGS2 or MGS4; save for jumping off a rocket/missile... but that was freaking badass!

And MGS2 has arguably the best story in the series. The third gets a lot of praise for being the least ridiculous and most easy to follow... but so what? That's not what MGS is about. It's most definitely a bit contreived on purpose. Kojima is aware of what he's doing, and certainly goes over the top with ridiculous exposition, characters, plot lines, and twists on purpose. And for that, I appreciate that with the first sequel, 2, those traits are fully embraced.

Pic for fanboy proof: ;p

6328661764_1f87c60ed3_z.jpg

Anyhoo, can't wait to get the HD collection. I really, really want that artbook, but I just can't justify the extra cost. I know I'll never own 1/10th of all the cool MGS stuff there is, so I stick to just plain releases for the most part (save for my PSP).

Gonna ask for this for Christmas; and my family knows how much I care about these games, so it's pretty much a lock.

But I still need to finish up a few games from last month, and Zelda and Saints Row are right around the corner. No time for Metal Gear right now :-(

areal

Skel1ingt0n said:
MGS TTS >
Does not compute. MGS TTS < is the only valid inequality.

I'm feeling bad that I wasn't more attentive when I played MGS3 at TGS. I was assigned a 360 and I was pretty confused by the controls. I assumed it was because I'm used to playing MGS with dualshocks, but it seems like the controls are actually pretty bad.

PS3 version in the mail. :)

Skel1ingt0n said:
MGS TTS > MGS2 > MGS4 > MGS3 >>>> Peace Walker >>>>>>>>>>>>>Portable

Can certainly make a good case for that.

But to me MGS3 will always stand alone and above other games in the series, and pretty much up with any other game in history.

The last couple of hours of the game?

DT1Qr.jpg

Every single time. If you haven't played through it till the end, you should. Some people will hate it, sure...but just maybe you will enjoy some of the best experiences gaming has to offer. It is certainly worth the time to find out.

JohngPR

Net_Wrecker said:
MGS4 is flawed, but nothing will take away from that magical first time playing through the game. It wasn't until I sat back afterward and thought about it that it started to fall apart, but all the fan service, all the characters, all the cutscenes, Act 1 and 2, then Act 4 omg.
I'll co-sign this sentiment. I still have fond memories of MGS4, but it's easy to pick apart its flaws when you think of the game on a critical level.

icespide

Banned
holy shit just played some MGS2 and it's amazing in HD!!! I teared up at dat intro! so many memories!

mgs3 is fucking smooth!

Plasma

Banned
awwyeahgurrl said:
Pretty tempted to import the PS3 version. Did Konami give any reason why the EU release is held back for so long?

They just missed the good old days of tormenting us with long delays.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Hi, I've got an old version of MGS2 for the PC.

It supports widescreen resolutions (16:9 and 16:10) but unfortunately it doesn't have the correct FOV's for those.
No matter what res I set the game always looks like a 4:3 streched to widescreen.

Does anybody have a soultion to this problem?

icespide

Banned
I'm also really glad that I played MGS1 before jumping into this. it made the impact of HD MGS2 so freaking huge. srsly I almost cried

LiK

icespide said:
I'm also really glad that I played MGS1 before jumping into this. it made the impact of HD MGS2 so freaking huge. srsly I almost cried
then MGS3 will blow your mind.

Salaadin

icespide said:
Are you new to the series?

I always love reading newcomers impressions. Pre-MGS4 when Costanza did a playthrough of all the games, I used to scour the thread an pick apart his impressions. Its great to see the reactions.

Ra1den

Anybody know what the scoop is on the brand new content? I think I heard that Peace Walker would have new missions or something...

Liquidus said:

asdjghakjdgah

Wait.

Didn't you post the EPIC MGS collection a few pages back?

I thought the opposite of your second assertion was something everyone universally agreed upon.

Also, in playing through MGS3 in HD now, something I REALLY miss from MGS4 is the crouch-walk. Not used to either full run/stalking/crawling.

AEREC

icespide said:

Im still undecided on whether or not to start from the beginning as well. The only MGS game I haven't played is Peacewalker so I may just jump into that when I get the collection.

MGS3 is probably my favorite of the series as it's surprisingly an emotional game. I remember enjoying MGS2 when it came out but thinking about it now doesnt sound too appealing.

LiK

AEREC said:
Im still undecided on whether or not to start from the beginning as well. The only MGS game I haven't played is Peacewalker so I may just jump into that when I get the collection.

MGS3 is probably my favorite of the series as it's surprisingly an emotional game. I remember enjoying MGS2 when it came out but thinking about it now doesnt sound too appealing.
MGS2 is my least favorite in the series. I'll replay it in HD and see how it fares but the Raiden twist was the worse thing ever.

RedSwirl

Red Blaster said:
wat

Don't get how anyone can ding MGS2's gameplay. It's as tightly designed and superbly balanced as any game I've played. MGS3 is when things start to get muddy.

Red Blaster said:
Calling MGS2 dated is like calling Streets Of Rage 2 dated.

I know it's kinda unfair, but compared to action games today, the first two MGS games are played in a very unusual way that by this point only really appeal to the fans. Its like the older Resident Evil games in that regard. Since I've played RE games for years I can still go back and deal with it. Even MGS1 feels more consistent to me since almost the entire game is played top-down like a 2D game.

Unlike most people though, I didn't come into it from MGS1 to MGS2 so I didn't see the added variety of fixed camera angles and other new gameplay quirks for what they were. I just see the whole thing as a stealth game where you have to deal with the fixed camera angles so indicative of antiquated Japanese game design.

Sure MGS2 is probably more balanced around its gameplay mechanics (especially the tanker chapter), but to me it still feels like a painful half-step into the third dimension where Subsistence, MGS4, and Peace Walker finally completed the process. I even think Metal Gear 2 holds up a lot better.

Chairhome

Gahhh, everytime I come in this thread, it makes me want to buy this game. If I can get it sometime for $25ish, I'll bite, but it'll sit unplayed till I finish so many games :-(. I've beaten every game in this collection though, and I can't wait to play them again. This is probably one of my favorite series. Peace Walker was amazing, and one of the biggest reasons I want it is to try multiplayer (never got the chance to on PSP)... hopefully some of you guys are still playing when I get this. Also, I want to finally play MG1 and MG2.

czk said:
Hi, I've got an old version of MGS2 for the PC.

It supports widescreen resolutions (16:9 and 16:10) but unfortunately it doesn't have the correct FOV's for those.
No matter what res I set the game always looks like a 4:3 streched to widescreen.

Does anybody have a soultion to this problem?

I dont think there is a fix for this, if there was it would be here:

http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/metal-gear-solid-2-substance

Clearly states there that the FOV is fixed and cant be changed, such a bummer :(

RedSwirl

Now, all said about how freaking antiquated MGS2 feels, that game still has at least twice as much personality and flavor as most of the dudebro shooters I'm playing today. From an artistic standpoint everything about the game feels like it was deliberately put in there by creative minds, not a marketing team. Hearing Otacon give me tips and explain how to play the game over the codec, just like a real mission briefing, instead of in loading screens, is so goddamn refreshing.

Phatcorns

I remember the first time I beat MGS3. I had gotten it for Christmas that year along with Metroid Prime 2 and some other really big release, but I can't remember now. Anyway, for some reason I put it off till last and finally started playing it.

I beat it in maybe 3 sittings because on the third sitting I thought I was near the end. But then I found out how fuck amazing the whole last portion of MGS3 is and stayed up till like 3 in the morning to finish it. Can't wait to do that again!

RedSwirl said:
Now, all said about how freaking antiquated MGS2 feels, that game still has at least twice as much personality and flavor as most of the dudebro shooters I'm playing today. From an artistic standpoint everything about the game feels like it was deliberately put in there by creative minds, not a marketing team. Hearing Otacon give me tips and explain how to play the game over the codec, just like a real mission briefing, instead of in loading screens, is so goddamn refreshing.

Just curious, had you played MGS previously? This is one of my favourite things about the series. It totally embraces the fact that it's a videogame. Usually when games try to be "cinematic," it does the complete opposite.

toddhunter said:
Can certainly make a good case for that.

But to me MGS3 will always stand alone and above other games in the series, and pretty much up with any other game in history.

The last couple of hours of the game?

DT1Qr.jpg

Every single time. If you haven't played through it till the end, you should. Some people will hate it, sure...but just maybe you will enjoy some of the best experiences gaming has to offer. It is certainly worth the time to find out.

I like your style.

RedSwirl

Pai Pai Master said:
Just curious, had you played MGS previously? This is one of my favourite things about the series. It totally embraces the fact that it's a videogame. Usually when games try to be "cinematic," it does the complete opposite.

Yes. All of the main ones, just in a weird order since I never owned PlayStation hardware until I bought a PS2 in 2005.

I briefly got to play through most of MGS2 back in 2001, then played Twin Snakes when that came out. After I got a PS2 I almost immediately went into Substance and Subsistence, but a PS1 copy of MGS1 cost over $50 back then. I couldn't actually play it until the Essential Collection came out.

Even then, I actually decided to play the two MSX games first BEFORE putting in the PS1 MGS1 for the first time. By then MGS4 was already about to come out. Playing MG2 and MGS1 back-to-back puts the latter game in a profound new perspective.

That cinematic gameyness is kind of the defining thing about Kojima though. Metal Gear goes to great lengths to try to make its story seem believable within its own context, but it's not ashamed to be a video game and incorporate game mechanics into the story, which actually helps the suspension of disbelief instead of hurting it.

Top Bottom