• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Blablurn

Red Blaster said:
Just finished MGS3. To think I was able to squeeze 15 hours without that much dillydallying in a game that I know backwards and forwards shows that current gen devs are not even trying. The "Sons Of Big Boss Are Born" line in the credits still gives me the shakes...my 2004 self was so hyped for what Kojima had in mind next :(

and he didnt disappoint *swoons*

I tried every available game-mode in Versus-OPS earlier tonight. It's ok, but really weird because I'm so used to MGO. Also, how long is Peace Walker? I never played the PSP version so this is completely new to me. Well, I did play the PSP demo, but that's it.

wwm0nkey

RadioHeadAche said:
I tried every available game-mode in Versus-OPS earlier tonight. It's ok, but really weird because I'm so used to MGO. Also, how long is Peace Walker? I never played the PSP version so this is completely new to me. Well, I did play the PSP demo, but that's it.
Versus Ops is MGO-Lite, there is one map that is pretty big that makes it play more like MGO though.

Also Peace Walker is actually decently log if you do all the side quests and ect.

Socreges said:
I've got:

- MGS HD Collection
- XBox 360
- Samsung 50-inch HDTV
- MOTHER FUCKING COMPONENT CABLES FOR MY 360

I need to get an HDMI cable tomorrow.

(Still great considering I've only ever played MGS2/MGS3 on a 27-inch flat-screen)

Where you getting the cable from? Retail - Frys is prob your best bet for a good price. Online I'd go with monoprice. Some hole in the wall PC places will stock monoprice cables for a small markup.

Synless

I thought PW was 1080p? I saw some reports on here that it wasn't and checked it out myself. It runs at 720p and if you try and force 1080p it will default to 480p.

Squishy

Is there anything in MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence that isn't in the HD collection apart from the multiplayer and the monkey catching? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer so far.

Synless

Squishy said:
Is there anything in MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence that isn't in the HD collection apart from the multiplayer and the monkey catching? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer so far.
I thought I read they got rid of the skateboarding mini game in MGS2.

jsnepo

Since no one is complaining, I guess the Konami ID bullshit is not required for Peace Walker's online play. Am I right?

Squishy

Synless said:
I thought I read they got rid of the skateboarding mini game in MGS2.
I'd be almost glad if that's the case, since the copy of MGS2: Substance I just bought won't be made completely redundant then :)

jsnepo

Synless said:

Great! I'm just waiting for my PS3 to be fixed this month and get the games. Peace Walker should be a blast for I have not finished it on the PSP. Just got to the part where Big Boss meets Huey.

jsnepo

N30RYU said:
This game sould have more screenshots/capture love...

That reminds me. Does the in-game camera take pictures to be saved as a picture file like in MGS4 or can it only be viewed from the game's menu?

It took me until this HD collection to find the Ghost Babel poster in MGS2. I remember it being mentioned in the credits, but I could never figure out why. Also, I never knew about the hatches you could take to see "ghost" Ocelot in the tanker.

Gouda Jouji said:
It's short for victory. I guess in Japanese Vic and Big kind of sound the same.

More like... Vic and Big kind of sound the same in English. The game is also set in South America where people speak english with a heavy accent.

Desmond

54-46! said:
Will these be available on PSN individually later on?
We don't know the dates for the West, but JPN has them on the PSstore on the same day as the disc (for 360 on JPN XBLA in 2012 lol)

rvy

Banned
54-46! said:
Will these be available on PSN individually later on?
This is bothering me too. 360 got the HD Collection and PW sold separately, which makes sense and is exactly what I wanted. I just hope they do the same for PS3 in EU.
Would be even better if they sold every title separately.

Snaku

Banned
My PS3 LE was delivered today from Amazon!
3AQmK.gif
Time to go through the rain, and feed on a tree frog once again.

Desmond

rvy said:
This is bothering me too. 360 got the HD Collection and PW sold separately, which makes sense and is exactly what I wanted. I just hope they do the same for PS3 in EU.
Would be even better if they sold every title separately.
What?

But you're getting more games for your .

Snaku said:
My PS3 LE was delivered today from Amazon!
3AQmK.gif
Time to go through the rain, and feed on a tree frog once again.

My Gamestop.com MGS HD LE (PS3) experience via pics

MGSHDLE-1.png

MGSHDLE-2.png

HAPPY+CRYING+FACE+%2528tumblr+meme%2529.png

bda21082.jpg

questionface.png

73173f2d.jpg

angry+face+meme.jpg

my 10k post apparently too, yay!

survivor said:
Just played MGS2. Jesus I got my ass handed to me. And the majority of my screw ups are cause of the controls. Some of the weirdest controls layout I ever played.

The controls in these games are so convoluted. If you're lying in the grass in MGS3 and you want to shoot someone with iron sights, you have to-

1- hold R1 to go into first person
2- hold L1 to look down iron sights
3- hold R2 + L2 to peak your head up
4- hold square...
5- but not TOO hard or you'll shoot prematurely
6- release square

Or something like that. Depends on the gun you're using

It's my favorite game ever but these controls are undeniably hilarious. During bossfights in MGS2-3 I often felt more like a turret than a man, because I usually just planted my feet and aimed, rarely moving because it was just too much hassle. Didn't move one inch against the Fear.

damn that's nice

RadioHeadAche said:
can you do subsistence multiplayer?

Also to follow up on the framerate of MGS3, I've noticed a couple more areas where it'll choke:

-Anytime Volgin does a big lightning charge, the one where he dies on the Shagohod brings the game down to like 10 FPS
-Area where you fight The Boss hovers from like 30-45 fps, it gets better when you go on the outer edge of the flowers but if you go inside it'll choke

The most surprising thing is that the game was a 100% rocksolid 60 fps during the entirety of the bike chase.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any pics of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2? How do they look?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Clarifying an earlier post;

Sub_Level said:
Slowdown spots in MGS2 for PS2:

Outside the Tanker in the rain
Climbing up the ladder after the first boss fight
Climbing down the ladder in the Holds
The Fortune boss fight
The hostage room
Using lots of Stingers consecutively in the Harrier fight
Using lots of explosives in the Vamp boss fight (the most severe slowdown in the game)

there is indeed slowdown again during the Vamp boss fight when you use the Stinger on him.

Almost done with my first Normal playthrough. And then...Missions. Awwwww yeeeea

icarus-daedelus said:
They really are so gay. I don't know why I didn't notice this when I first played MGS2.

They're like Sunny's two gay uncles. Yeah, yeah, Naomi, whatever.

No, Otacon and Snake are definitely straight. Without spoiling it for you, that hug scene takes place after something emotionally devastates Otacon. Snake is just being a good friend to Otacon and reassuring him. It's a great scene that shows how less cold Snake has become from his MGS1 counterpart.

Big Boss, on the other hand, is a pedophile. He had to get tipsy with wine just so he could bang Eva.

revolverjgw said:
The controls in these games are so convoluted. If you're lying in the grass in MGS3 and you want to shoot someone with iron sights, you have to-

4- hold square...
6- release square

It's my favorite game ever but these controls are undeniably hilarious. During bossfights in MGS2-3 I often felt more like a turret than a man, because I usually just planted my feet and aimed, rarely moving because it was just too much hassle. Didn't move one inch against the Fear.
I'm not going to say that you "played the game wrong" or anything like that, but I did find this very strange to read as a guy who plays MGS usually with no-kill/no-alert stipulations. In terms ofof stealth, I never had to hold down L1 to aim my gun because I used handguns only (Mk22) and knew that holding down square has me aiming the gun anyway. It was always just a matter of aiming and shooting, I never experienced the difficulties of managing 3+ button inputs to do anything in MGS2 or 3 that people would always talk about. Am I alone here?

Managed to convert my EU Peace Walker save to US and transfar it in. Pretty pleased with that.

To do it you need a CFW'd PSP and EU and US copies of the game.

If other Gaffers would like me to convert their saves, just let me know.

pa22word

revolverjgw said:

4- hold square...
6- release square

Actually it's just the first two steps and followed by tapping square. The peak head up thing is purely optional in order to get a better shot at the risk of being seen.

I know the controls are complicated, but fuck guys this hyperbole shit has to stop.

On topic: my copy has yet to arrive ; _ ; (hence the slight agitation above >.>)

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I'm not going to say that you "played the game wrong" or anything like that, but I did find this very strange to read as a guy who plays MGS usually with no-kill/no-alert stipulations. In terms ofof stealth, I never had to hold down L1 to aim my gun because I used handguns only (Mk22) and knew that holding down square has me aiming the gun anyway. It was always just a matter of aiming and shooting, I never experienced the difficulties of managing 3+ button inputs to do anything in MGS2 or 3 that people would always talk about. Am I alone here?

No, people just suck/can't adapt, considering the amount of options you have at your disposal at ALL situations, instead of having shitty context-sensitive actions, the controls for 2 & 3 are Perfect. And MGS4 made them even better :D

jacket320

Playing through MGS2, about 6 hours in... and it's a little more boring than I remember. I enjoyed replaying the beginning and the first part of the shell but it really drags around the Fatman sequence. I'm almost to the next major checkpoint though and anticipate it picking up once more of the story is revealed.

I hope so anyway. I'm replaying it with my gf (who loved mgs4) and she started losing interest during the last two hours or so. I keep telling her that she'll love mgs3 though :p

Snaku said:
Anybody else remember this trailer?

http://ps2movies.ign.com/ps2/video/mgs3snakeeater_050903_sub.mov

I remember that leaking online just before MGS3 was announced. Half of the internet was calling fake, and the other half had to change their pants. I know I shit myself when I realized Snake didn't have an eye. BIG BOSS! OMG!!
Dude, forget that trailer leaking, remember when the casting sheet got leaked out? Seriously every character and spoiler about MGS3 leaked MONTHS before the game was slated to release. It made perusing forums into a minefield, no fun at all.

Snaku

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Dude, forget that trailer leaking, remember when the casting sheet got leaked out? Seriously every character and spoiler about MGS3 leaked MONTHS before the game was slated to release. It made perusing forums into a minefield, no fun at all.

Yeah, I remember that too. I avoided the spoilers fairly well.

Squishy said:
I've read that the Guy Savage ninja vs. zombies dream sequence in the prison cell in Groznyj Grad has been removed from MGS3, but I haven't played it yet so can't confirm...

I can confirm that Rose is just as irritating in HD as she was in 480i on the PS2... "Do you know what day it is, Jack?" Just STFU!

Salaadin

I frequented IGN at the time the casting sheet was leaked. I read the entire thing and wrote it all off as pure BS. A guy that shoots bees? A lizard-like man? A guy that can speak to the dead? So fake!!!

I ate so much crow.

rvy

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Also to follow up on the framerate of MGS3, I've noticed a couple more areas where it'll choke:

-Anytime Volgin does a big lightning charge, the one where he dies on the Shagohod brings the game down to like 10 FPS
-Area where you fight The Boss hovers from like 30-45 fps, it gets better when you go on the outer edge of the flowers but if you go inside it'll choke

The most surprising thing is that the game was a 100% rocksolid 60 fps during the entirety of the bike chase.
FML, this makes no sense. What the hell, Bluepoint? You can't lock a 7 year old game at 60 frames per second? Hell, you can't lock a game that ran, in 2001, at 60 frames per second 90% of the time?

I'm still buying the games, but FFS.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Picked this up yesterday, played a little of MGS3 which I think looks great. It'll be a while before I hit MGS2. Big Shell is just so boring.

Top Bottom