• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

rvy

Banned
survivor said:
Been playing MGS2 all day today. I just did the Ames part. Any idea how far I am in the game so far?

Loving the game so far. I still have problems with the controls but they are not bothering me as much as they did when I originally played. The story is pretty cool though there was bunch of stuff that I didn't know about. I just read the wiki for MGS1 to see what I missed. I was gonna read the ones for the MSX but I decided that I'm gonna play them so I held out.
Still plenty to go.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
survivor said:
Been playing MGS2 all day today. I just did the Ames part. Any idea how far I am in the game so far?

You're near the half of the Plant Chapter, IIRC.

no Limited edition in Europe? :(

*pukes*

yvTKZ.png

Red Blaster said:
Yes.

Subsistence camera diminishes a lot of the impact during the bike chase, always used OG for that part.
Awesome. Yeah, the bike chase using the cinematic camera angles is part of one of the best moments/endings in gaming for me so I toggled it back on the first time I played with the Sub camera.

areal

Red Blaster said:
Is it just me or is there a delay when bringing up the codec in MGS2? Really freaking annoying.
Yes. So annoying.

That boxart is gross. This collection is crying out for one of those custom boxarts.

Synless

Desmond said:
I know, and it's METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER HD EDITION unlike just Metal Gear Solid 2/3. They should of named it 5 for the big boy release.

btw, this may be an odd question but if a friend is playing the collection, what does it say under their PSN ID?

edit: I don't get why the used CGI on the trophy icon or the box art, there is some Shinkawa PW art.

MetalGearSolidPeaceWalkerIllustrati.jpg

295998_235661943163185_188888181173895_709465_319201196_n.jpg

The latest Famitsu had a nice piece

Also did anyone see the new render of Raiden and BB? looks nice

386650_232959656766747_188888181173895_700993_1283804885_n.jpg

310422_228495023879877_188888181173895_682271_1082657857_n.jpg
I was actually talking about when you goto look at your trophies MGS 2 and 3 use artwork where Peacewalker uses a CG version of bosses face. It's really annoying and out of place.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Went to visit my GF about 100 miles away. While grabbing lunch at Five Guys, I made my way into the Gamsstop next door. After looking for a bit the employee found a copy of the PS3 LE. Yay!

But now I don't know what to do. I asked my mom for the regular version for Christmas. I'm pretty certain she'll get it for me as she was actually looking forward to getting me a game she really knows I want. But I don't want her to buy the LE off me to give me, because I don't want her to feel obligated to spend $85 on a game for me, as she doesn't really have it. Maybe I'll just see what I can sell it for. Make a bit of money, and get the normal version for Christmas. But now I want the LE lol. Arg...

jaydogg691

Skel1ingt0n said:
Went to visit my GF about 100 miles away. While grabbing lunch at Five Guys, I made my way into the Gamsstop next door. After looking for a bit the employee found a copy of the PS3 LE. Yay!

But now I don't know what to do. I asked my mom for the regular version for Christmas. I'm pretty certain she'll get it for me as she was actually looking forward to getting me a game she really knows I want. But I don't want her to buy the LE off me to give me, because I don't want her to feel obligated to spend $85 on a game for me, as she doesn't really have it. Maybe I'll just see what I can sell it for. Make a bit of money, and get the normal version for Christmas. But now I want the LE lol. Arg...
I hate you.

Picked up the game yesterday and played mgs3 for a couple of hours wow the Subsistence camera is awesome. I have only play OG ver of Mgs3 and remember not enjoying the game at all because of the camera and running thru all the areas triggering the alarms. Playing it with the new camera feels like I am playing the game for first time now.

Skel1ingt0n said:

Ask her to give you a $50 bill instead.

I started Peace Walker today, never played it on PSP. Just on the first chapter now. Cool story so far but I'm not really liking the tiny areas separated by load points...do the levels get more expansive later in the game?

The more I play it the more I'm annoyed by Bluepoint's job on the MGS2/MGS3 ports. The codec lag, the inability to upload camera shots to the console OS, inconsistent framerates, sound glitches here and there. It's not Capcom bad but I expected better. Meanwhile KP's work on the Peace Walker port is fantastic.

chaostrophy said:
I started Peace Walker today, never played it on PSP. Just on the first chapter now. Cool story so far but I'm not really liking the tiny areas separated by load points...do the levels get more expansive later in the game?

There's your answer.

cacophony

I really want to get this but I need to beat MGS1 first and I'm waiting for my free $5.99 to get it on PSN but it's not fucking coming :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished all the Snake Tales in one 2-3 hour sitting. Confidential Legacy and Dead Man Whispers definitely have the most fun and challenging gameplay. External Gazer has the best story, of course.

Now it's on to either Dog Tags, Missions, MGS3, or Peace Walker...

cacophony said:
I really want to get this but I need to beat MGS1 first and I'm waiting for my free $5.99 to get it on PSN but it's not fucking coming :(

Yea definitely play that first. It's rough around the edges and dated but force yourself through it. You'll really appreciate these games a lot more.

Metal Gear's always been pretty good about near future tech but that cell phone the ninja gives Raiden is so much more hilarious after having passed the real 2009.

JohngPR

Quick question about trying to beat the game with no alerts.

If you do get caught what's the best way to start over? Let them kill you and hit quit and load up your save again? Let them kill you and hit continue?

I'm not sure if that counts it as an alert or not.

SamuraiX-

JohngPR said:
Quick question about trying to beat the game with no alerts.

If you do get caught what's the best way to start over? Let them kill you and hit quit and load up your save again? Let them kill you and hit continue?

I'm not sure if that counts it as an alert or not.

If you do the latter option where you just die and hit continue, the alerts will always count.

In order to eliminate them from your record entirely, you'll have to exit back out to the main menu and manually load your last save.

HOLY CRAP, MGS3 should NOT look this good. WTF kind of magic is this? I've also never played the Subsistence version so it's like I'm playing this for the first time. It's so clean, and the free camera allows me to take it in so much more. Wow.

And MGS3 has an atmosphere that is so unlike most games. Hunting animals and guards while keeping track of my ammo/health supplies, monitoring the suppressor gauges, healing injuries, having to eat, the sounds of the jungle, all the options available to the player, etc. etc. I would pay a high price for a multiplayer game with these mechanics where the only goal was to survive in a massive playspace with other players and just hunt crap. Other people, animals, whatever. I LOVE THIS GAME.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Net_Wrecker said:
I would pay a high price for a multiplayer game with these mechanics where the only goal was to survive in a massive playspace with other players and just hunt crap. Other people, animals, whatever. I LOVE THIS GAME.

Capcom would be happy to sell it to you at a high price, strangiah. It's called Monster Hunter!

Aokage said:
Capcom would be happy to sell it to you at a high price, strangiah. It's called Monster Hunter!

Monster Hunter is good for the monster hunting, but it is in any way survival based like MGS3? What I was talking about was a game that almost directly lifted the health, stamina, injury, hunting, and stealth systems from MGS3, and just dropped me on a map with other dudes where we just kick back and hunt crap and survive for hours.....Cause I could do this all day. With a day/night cycle too *drools*

And MGS3 is seriously pretty. Makes no sense.

Aokage

Net_Wrecker said:
Monster Hunter is good for the monster hunting, but it is in any way survival based like MGS3? What I was talking about was a game that almost directly lifted the health, stamina, injury, hunting, and stealth systems from MGS3, and just dropped me on a map with other dudes where we just kick back and hunt crap and survive for hours.....Cause I could do this all day. With a day/night cycle too *drools*

And MGS3 is seriously pretty. Makes no sense.

It definitely has major survival elements. You have to eat constantly to survive, and keep yourself cool in hot areas/warm in cold areas. Might be exactly what you're looking for.

And curse you Americans for getting MGS3 HD three weeks before us in Japan ARRRRRGH

Aokage said:
It definitely has major survival elements. You have to eat constantly to survive, and keep yourself cool in hot areas/warm in cold areas. Might be exactly what you're looking for.

Hmmmm, interest piqued.

Aokage said:

I'm a pretty good Monster Hunter player, and I've got to say, this is a bit of false advertising right there :p

Not saying it's not true, but it's like advertising Yakuza 4 as a realistic dart simulator, if you know what I mean...

OneMoreQuestion said:
I'm a pretty good Monster Hunter player, and I've got to say, this is a bit of false advertising right there :p

Not saying it's not true, but it's like advertising Yakuza 4 as a realistic dart simulator, if you know what I mean...

Hmmm, interest de-piqued. :p

Desmond

Synless said:
I was actually talking about when you goto look at your trophies MGS 2 and 3 use artwork where Peacewalker uses a CG version of bosses face. It's really annoying and out of place.
lol, thats what I meant. I said 'trophy icon' but I meant the yellow cgi picture in your trophy collection for PW

Ratrat

Monster Hunter isn't really like Snake Eater imo but its definitely worth looking into.

Now where are the zomg MGS3 images?

jsnepo

Does the in-game camera take pictures to be saved as a picture file (JPEG, etc) like in MGS4 or can it only be viewed from the game's menu?

Aokage

Well, MH certainly doesn't have the emphasis on jungle survival Snake Eater does, but in terms of hunting things multiplayer in a vast arena—while staying alive—it gets dat job done pretty well.

survivor said:

Loving the game so far. I still have problems with the controls but they are not bothering me as much as they did when I originally played. The story is pretty cool though there was bunch of stuff that I didn't know about. I just read the wiki for MGS1 to see what I missed. I was gonna read the ones for the MSX but I decided that I'm gonna play them so I held out.
Man. Should've went back and played MGS1. Easily available on PSN.

Net_Wrecker said:
HOLY CRAP, MGS3 should NOT look this good. WTF kind of magic is this? I've also never played the Subsistence version so it's like I'm playing this for the first time. It's so clean, and the free camera allows me to take it in so much more. Wow.

And MGS3 has an atmosphere that is so unlike most games. Hunting animals and guards while keeping track of my ammo/health supplies, monitoring the suppressor gauges, healing injuries, having to eat, the sounds of the jungle, all the options available to the player, etc. etc. I would pay a high price for a multiplayer game with these mechanics where the only goal was to survive in a massive playspace with other players and just hunt crap. Other people, animals, whatever. I LOVE THIS GAME.
Its a shame they didn't add crouch walking and an option for controls to be mapped closer to MGS4. That would've made the game pretty much perfect.

Also, this render is amazing. I wonder how close the next gen games will get to this quality.
310422_228495023879877_188888181173895_682271_1082657857_n.jpg

Desmond

What are the chances of Portable Ops getting at least a PSP Remaster like MH? I might try it today, really wish it had a fixed camera

-Winnie-

Desmond said:
What are the chances of Portable Ops getting at least a PSP Remaster like MH? I might try it today, really wish it had a fixed camera

I'd say it's very unlikely since it sounds like Kojima kind of disowned it, or at least doesn't consider it to be an important part of the series.

The game is good enough on PSP though, the camera's bearable if you can do the claw. :p

Yen

Desmond said:
PW is so much better. I wouldn't even bother.

Desmond

-Winnie- said:
I'd say it's very unlikely since it sounds like Kojima kind of disowned it, or at least doesn't consider it to be an important part of the series.

The game is good enough on PSP though, the camera's bearable if you can do the claw. :p
I've given up already lol. The camera's Ok, everything else is unbearable

rvy

Banned
m0dus said:
Was trying to get a " no kills" run on mgs 3, was engaged in CDC and accidentally knocked a dude off the bridge into the raging river below. Died and continued, but would I actually have to completely start over? Or does it still count?
If you've knocked him off yourself, it still counts.

jett

D-Member
m0dus said:
Was trying to get a " no kills" run on mgs 3, was engaged in CDC and accidentally knocked a dude off the bridge into the raging river below. Died and continued, but would I actually have to completely start over? Or does it still count?

Load a previous save point, if you have one.

m0dus said:
I was trying to get a no kills run in MGS2 and I accidentally snapped the neck of the first guard I encountered. Oops.

areal

I'm having fun with MGS2 but I'm not very good at it. I found MGS4 Big Boss easier to stealth. Anyway, MGS2 must have been a real trip back in 2001. I rike it.

areal said:
I'm having fun with MGS2 but I'm not very good at it. I found MGS4 Big Boss easier to stealth. Anyway, MGS2 must have been a real trip back in 2001.
I used to be really good at MGS2. I remember doing a no kills/no alert run of the tanker chapter at the hardest difficulty without the radar.
However, the end of the Plant chapter gets ridiculously hard... Metal Gear fight, Torture chamber, and Solidus fight were all nearly impossible, and I had to use a gameshark to get past 2 of them and a turbo fire controller to get past the chamber.

rvy

Banned
areal said:
I'm having fun with MGS2 but I'm not very good at it. I found MGS4 Big Boss easier to stealth. Anyway, MGS2 must have been a real trip back in 2001. I rike it.
It's all about figuring out enemy patterns and the amount for each environment. Boss battles are the toughest part on higher difficulties.

Also, YouTube "Metal Works the Perfect" for people having trouble with MGS 2.

jett

D-Member
infinityBCRT said:
YES! Giantbomb quick look for MGS HD is up. Gonna spent the next hour watching this.

I noticed in that QL(360 version) that the codec messages take a few seconds to show up. Is that how it is iin the PS3 version too? The fug.

Top Bottom