• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Twice in a row now I've come to the end of MGS2 on Hard, and the game has frozen as soon as the credits start... is there something wrong with my game?

EDIT: Three times now. What the hell is going on?!

Also, Raiden should have been wearing body armor in the ending cutscene, but he wasn't...

The Stealth Fox said:
The 1.01 patch removes the "To Game Select" option in Peace Walker HD.

I have no idea why.

Is that all it does? I removed the patch and disabled my internet connection, and was able to finish MGS2 without it freezing. Could the patch have been what caused the glitch?

Tomasooie

Liquidsnake said:
Please someone explain to me how to get PW to play in 1080P. I have had zero luck.
Same here. Is anyone sure that it even does? 1080p has always been checked for me, and it works fine with other games, but Peace Walker stays at 720p for me.

Synless

Is there a good guide for getting all the trophies in MGS 3? I have no idea where to find some of those damn frogs!

hank_tree

randomwab said:
Can anyone remember how long it takes Videogameplus to ship to the UK? It was shipped on Tuesday and I can never remember shipping times for them.

I'm in Ireland and it usually takes a week or that. Sometimes sooner.

so gamestop sent me the hardened edition of modern warfare 3 instead of the ps3 MGS LE. guy said the issue was sort of widespread and had no idea what happened but they don't have any PS3 LEs now.

how's the 360 version?

MGS3 is definitely not locked at 60 FPS, slowdown whenever you get an alert at Groznyj Grad. smh Bluepoint.

I guess PS2 games are too hard to port. I have little hope that ZOE2 will hold its framerate.

rvy

Banned
Red Blaster said:
MGS3 is definitely not locked at 60 FPS, slowdown whenever you get an alert at Groznyj Grad. smh Bluepoint.

I guess PS2 games are too hard to port. I have little hope that ZOE2 will hold its framerate.
360 or PS3? This makes me a sad panda.

SamuraiX-

Red Blaster said:

As long as it's not as bad as the PS2 slowdowns, the port is considered a success for me.

Stable 60fps is incredibly difficult (probably impossible for most games) to do. Period.

rvy said:
360 or PS3? This makes me a sad panda.

PS3.

Doesn't make sense as the game pretty much holds its framerate perfectly through all the jungle parts but when it comes to the angular design of Grozynj Grad it chokes.

edit: wtf it happens inside the base too?! This is just a careless oversight, the interiors are so sparsely detailed.

I didn't notice any framerate problems in Grozny Grad, but maybe that's because I don't suck so I didn't get an alert

The only drops I've noticed is during some short shots during cutscenes with lots of fire and smoke. And when I blew up the parked helicopter. I've noticed maybe like 10-12 seconds of framerate drops in the whole game, total.

Synless said:
Is there a good guide for getting all the trophies in MGS 3? I have no idea where to find some of those damn frogs!

Oh god, the frogs. I'm totally dreading having to get the ones during the chase scenes.

Sanchito

So I got my order from Gamestop today... for the LE PS3 version. The clowns sent me Modern Warfare 3 instead. Spent over an hour on the phone with customer service. The rep called several stores in my area and no one has a copy. They guy is going to call a few more stores tomorrow and get back with me. Good times.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Slowdown spots in MGS2 for PS2:

Outside the Tanker in the rain
Climbing up the ladder after the first boss fight
Climbing down the ladder in the Holds
The Fortune boss fight
The hostage room
Using lots of Stingers consecutively in the Harrier fight
Using lots of explosives in the Vamp boss fight (the most severe slowdown in the game)

Of all these, the only one that hasn't been fixed is climbing down the ladder in the Holds, specifically the second one you descend should you choose not to take the balcony path. I haven't gotten to Vamp yet, will report back later tonight to try out the grenade launcher and stinger on Vamp to see how it holds up.

Sanchito said:
So I got my order from Gamestop today... for the LE PS3 version. The clowns sent me Modern Warfare 3 instead. Spent over an hour on the phone with customer service. The rep called several stores in my area and no one has a copy. They guy is going to call a few more stores tomorrow and get back with me. Good times.
Holy shit. It IS widespread then.

Did anyone get the chance to order the Peacewalker HD LE from CDJapan or has any experience with them sending you a Paypal money request to upgrade the shipping to EMS?

I thought I could use registered mail as on the Website the item was less than 2KG, but they sent me an e-mail last night stating they that they have upgraded my shipping to EMS because they cannot send it with registered apparently... the problem is that it will cost me 3000 yen more and I already paid 4000 yen for shipping originally. Paying 7000 yen to ship this item is definitely a lot more than what I would think it would cost. :/
In the mail they state that I will have a week to reply and pay the amount, otherwise they will ship the item anyway so I am not sure what that means (guessing I still need to pay the amount afterwards :p).

Anyone have had any experience like this with CDJapan? Does it really cost 7000 yen to ship an item like this? 7000 yen is almost the cost of the item itself. :(

survivor

Banned
Just got the game today but won't be able to play it until tomorrow.

Do you guys think I should play the games chronologically (MGS3-PW-MGS2) or go by release dates?

Sub_Level said:
Slowdown spots in MGS2 for PS2:

The Fortune boss fight

Of all these, the only one that hasn't been fixed is climbing down the ladder in the Holds, specifically the second one you descend should you choose not to take the balcony path. I haven't gotten to Vamp yet, will report back later tonight to try out the grenade launcher and stinger on Vamp to see how it holds up.
The way the Fortune slowdown ended up always made me think it was intentional and for effect. Guess not.

survivor said:

Do you guys think I should play the games chronologically (MGS3-PW-MGS2) or go by release dates?
Release date, so dated controls aren't an issue when playing.
If you play MGS3 and then MGS1, is going to be kinda weird.

jacket320

survivor said:

Honestly, I'd go with release dates since the gameplay evolves from one to the next... but that's just me. :)

Sanchito

A Twisty Fluken said:
Yup. I am expecting a call back with answers as to what happened to my game.

I wish you luck, my friend. Hope we both can score a copy somehow. And anyone else that got screwed, for that matter.

Red Blaster said:

FPS slowdown or gameplay slowdown? Call me crazy but at some points it almost seemed like the game was running at 60FPS but the game engine was dropping down to like 75% speed when theres a lot of things going on on the screen. I felt like thats what I was seeing, but I have to go back and play some more to see if thats true or if its something crazy that I imagined.

infinityBCRT said:
FPS slowdown or gameplay slowdown? Call me crazy but at some points it almost seemed like the game was running at 60FPS but the game engine was dropping down to like 75% speed when theres a lot of things going on on the screen. I felt like thats what I was seeing, but I have to go back and play some more to see if thats true or if its something crazy that I imagined.

I thought it was just gameplay slowdown, but when you toss a stun or smoke into a group of guards at Groznyj Grad the FPS takes a dive. Also if you get alerted inside the base and you run to the bathroom where Raikov is hiding the game will randomly slow down there for some reason.

I wasn't going to get this, but it's the game of my life on ps3 with trophies. Fuck, I have to!

Plus, a friend just pointed out that I'm basically real life ParaMedic - girl who loves B movies, studies medicine, talks too much - and now I can't un-think it.

Cartman86

Banned
Desmond said:
Congrats, how were the Kerotans?

I got them all back when MGS3 came out so I remembered them. Took 4 hours with EZ gun and stealth gained from normal no alert/kills first playthrough.

EDIT: I used a guide of course though, but combination of guide and memory helped.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Few off-screen shots I took today.

6336722946_fb56fb5770_b.jpg

6335967019_2398e38d41_b.jpg

6336723498_c6074bee83_b.jpg

The best game ever made.

burgerdog

Sub_Level said:
Few off-screen shots I took today.

[IM]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6091/6336722946_fb56fb5770_b.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6047/6335967019_2398e38d41_b.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6095/6336723498_c6074bee83_b.jpg[/IMG]

The best game ever made.

It appears you took shots from the wrong game. Silly you, make sure you select mgs3 next time.

survivor

Banned
Just played MGS2. Jesus I got my ass handed to me. And the majority of my screw ups are cause of the controls. Some of the weirdest controls layout I ever played.

Can't wait for tomorrow to try my luck at the game. I watched youtube video of the first boss and it blew my mind on what I didn't catch like blowing up the lights. Would have made my life easier during the later parts of the fight.

survivor said:
Just played MGS2. Jesus I got my ass handed to me. And the majority of my screw ups are cause of the controls. Some of the weirdest controls layout I ever played

Playing MGS2 after coming off of Gears 3, AssCreedBro, and Uncharted 3 was a HUGE shock, and is still screwing me over 12 hours into it. You just don't realize how much things have been tightened and streamlined until you really dig into the game right after playing something from 2011. Now I'm actually glad I've been postponing my MGS4 replay because there are still enough similarities to the movement in that game to MGS2/3 that I REALLY would've been having a hard time readjusting.

And it's funny because Snake, at any given time, has probably 20x more options during gameplay in MGS4, but just shooting in 1st person from cover in MGS2 is like performing open heart surgery on the controller.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hey everyone, it's been asked a couple times, but just wondering if there's any more input on the issue...

Was planning on just asking for the regular PS3 version for Christmas. I f-ing love MGS; but I just have too much on my plate, anyway. But now that it seems the CE is, indeed, actually limited, I'm drawn to it.

I'm heading about 100 miles to my college town to visit my GF, and judging by the Gamestop inventory checker, there are three stores with the PS3 LE in stock. Now, as I understand it, these are most likely pre-ordered ones. That said, since it has been several days, what are the odds that a store sells one to me? Like, is it typically their policy to go ahead and sell it after 48 hours, or do they more often hold onto it?

I'd drive to all three, but since I only see my GF for a day, I'd rather not force her to come along as I spend an hour driving all over town.

Thanks!

Socreges

Banned
I've got:

- MGS HD Collection
- XBox 360
- Samsung 50-inch HDTV
- MOTHER FUCKING COMPONENT CABLES FOR MY 360

I need to get an HDMI cable tomorrow.

(Still great considering I've only ever played MGS2/MGS3 on a 27-inch flat-screen)

Just finished MGS3. To think I was able to squeeze 15 hours without that much dillydallying in a game that I know backwards and forwards shows that current gen devs are not even trying. The "Sons Of Big Boss Are Born" line in the credits still gives me the shakes...my 2004 self was so hyped for what Kojima had in mind next :(

SamuraiX-

Red Blaster said:
Just finished MGS3. To think I was able to squeeze 15 hours without that much dillydallying in a game that I know backwards and forwards shows that current gen devs are not even trying. The "Sons Of Big Boss Are Born" line in the credits still gives me the shakes...my 2004 self was so hyped for what Kojima had in mind next :(

Fuck, just reading your post quoting it sends chills down my spine.

That line is especially awesome because we already all knew the insane shit that was gonna take place in the future.

Top Bottom