• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
rvy said:
FML, this makes no sense. What the hell, Bluepoint? You can't lock a 7 year old game at 60 frames per second? Hell, you can't lock a game that ran, in 2001, at 60 frames per second 90% of the time?

I'm still buying the games, but FFS.

Say what? SOL is not fps-locked? :/

FrankT

How is the performance on this for 360? Only have a title or two left I'm considering before year end and this one is definitely one of them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
bernardobri said:
Say what? SOL is not fps-locked? :/

Most of the PS2 slowdowns (which weren't that frequent) have been fixed, but it still slows down at

- Climbing down the ladder in Hold No. 1 of the Tanker
- Shooting Stinger missiles at Vamp
- And as I just discovered today, it also slows down in parts during the Ray boss battle, specifically when explosives are involves like in the MGS3 remaster of this collection

Can anyone here confirm if they can change their year of birth in MGS2? I can't, either in the story or mission modes. Pretty sloppy bug if I'm not missing something. Otherwise it was a decent port. MGS3's +30 FPS and Peace Walker's dual-analog control make them benefit the most from this remaster, however.

Desmond

I just noticed that the OP has a mistake.

This is the Box Art we'll be getting in Europe/PAL

yvTKZ.png

Does MGS3 still have massive fucking slowdown in that one area near the beginning where there's a lot of rain, water, and crocodiles? It kind of got close to SotC-levels of slideshow at that point iirc, which was just one little area with no enemies.

Ridley327

icarus-daedelus said:
Does MGS3 still have massive fucking slowdown in that one area near the beginning where there's a lot of rain, water, and crocodiles? It kind of got close to SotC-levels of slideshow at that point iirc, which was just one little area with no enemies.
Nope; that runs like butter now.

Man, I don't think I'll ever forget how to play MGS2.

Sub_Level said:
Can anyone here confirm if they can change their year of birth in MGS2? I can't, either in the story or mission modes. Pretty sloppy bug if I'm not missing something. Otherwise it was a decent port. MGS3's +30 FPS and Peace Walker's dual-analog control make them benefit the most from this remaster, however.
In the original MGS2, you were able to input your first and last name rather than a "code name" and also the birth year. Maybe they changed it because they couldn't work something out
in the end cutscene
or it was linked to the old Clear Record thing in the old MGS2 site.

Speaking of old MGS2, are we dealing with Sons of Liberty dog tags or Substance dog tags? I think the latter...
Ridley327 said:
Man, I don't think I'll ever forget how to play MGS2.
Same here. That was the only game I played for a few years in middle school, did everything I could in there. Even now I just go through Big Shell like I'm on a grocery run ("Okay, meet Pliskin, disarm C4s, go to Shell 1...") and double-tap Triangle to skip the conversations I don't feel like listening to.

Last MGS2 question concerning the final boss fight:
Can you still cartwheel into Solidus or did they make his rocket boost completely lethal and un-counter-able
?

bender

What time is it?
Red Blaster said:
Also to follow up on the framerate of MGS3, I've noticed a couple more areas where it'll choke:

-Anytime Volgin does a big lightning charge, the one where he dies on the Shagohod brings the game down to like 10 FPS
-Area where you fight The Boss hovers from like 30-45 fps, it gets better when you go on the outer edge of the flowers but if you go inside it'll choke

The most surprising thing is that the game was a 100% rocksolid 60 fps during the entirety of the bike chase.

Not that far yet but when you use the torch in the caves leading up to The Pain, the frame rate drops are noticeable. There are lots of graphical oddities in that section of the game anyway.

JohngPR

Salaadin said:
I frequented IGN at the time the casting sheet was leaked. I read the entire thing and wrote it all off as pure BS. A guy that shoots bees? A lizard-like man? A guy that can speak to the dead? So fake!!!

I ate so much crow.

LOL!

At the time I wasn't online a whole lot so I missed all of that. Hell, I was barely into games at that point! 0_o

I think MGS3 is what kick started me back into them a bit.

Desmond

Kagari said:
Anyone still looking for a PS3 LE? I have an extra one now.
I'd love to buy, but got no money at the mo.

How much are you hoping to make on it?

I'm hoping to import a regular edition around Christmas and hope we get an EU LE either way.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Desmond said:
I'd love to buy, but got no money at the mo.

How much are you hoping to make on it?

I'm hoping to import a regular edition around Christmas and hope we get an EU LE either way.

Considering the absolute rarity... around $120-$130 shipped if I can.

Another odd graphical "glitch" I encountered was in the last part of the game when you're on the WIG. The cloth flapping animations were something like 2 or 3 frames on the PS2, this looked fine at 30 FPS but sped up to 60 FPS it looks really bad.

Adilegian

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Last MGS2 question concerning the final boss fight:
Can you still cartwheel into Solidus or did they make his rocket boost completely lethal and un-counter-able
?
I'm not to the last boss fight yet, but I did
fight Solidus as Solid Snake in External Gazer, and Snake's forward roll damages Solidus out of his rocket boost.
I assume the same would be true in the main game as well for Raiden.

Y2Kev said:
OMG I STILL CANNOT PROCESS MGS3 IN HD IT IS MELTING MY FACE
I always thought it was really beautiful on PS2, even with 30fps and framerate drops.

I mean, the fucking individual stalks of grass moved when you walked on them! This blew my young mind at the time.

infinityBCRT said:
Finding bosses too hard? Watch some YouTube vids. Before I learned how to use the supply drops I wasn't feeling it either.

The only boss I've had difficulty with is
the Pupa
, and by "difficult" I mean I died once. The boss fights so far don't seem too challenging once you figure out what needs to be done, and considering all the bosses I've run up against telegraph to you exactly what they're doing all the time, it's not that hard.
I just fought the helicopter and he just flies around screaming what he's doing all the time, it's kind of silly
. The hardest part of the game by far for me is finding competently ranked soldiers for my base, I've got maybe two "B" ranked guys for each section of my base. I am only just getting into the second chapter though.

Synless

One thing that is driving me nuts is the trophy category for Peacewalker. It is completely out of place next to MGS 2 & 3's superior art.

Desmond

Synless said:
One thing that is driving me nuts is the trophy category for Peacewalker. It is completely out of place next to MGS 2 & 3's superior art.
I know, and it's METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER HD EDITION unlike just Metal Gear Solid 2/3. They should of named it 5 for the big boy release.

btw, this may be an odd question but if a friend is playing the collection, what does it say under their PSN ID?

edit: I don't get why the used CGI on the trophy icon or the box art, there is some Shinkawa PW art.

MetalGearSolidPeaceWalkerIllustrati.jpg

295998_235661943163185_188888181173895_709465_319201196_n.jpg

The latest Famitsu had a nice piece

Also did anyone see the new render of Raiden and BB? looks nice

386650_232959656766747_188888181173895_700993_1283804885_n.jpg

310422_228495023879877_188888181173895_682271_1082657857_n.jpg

rvy said:
FML, this makes no sense. What the hell, Bluepoint?

We have no idea what engineering was needed to make this collection. So yeah, doesn't make sense to us. It's not a copy/paste scenario and PS2 architecture was not simple.

Red Blaster said:
Another odd graphical "glitch" I encountered was in the last part of the game when you're on the WIG. The cloth flapping animations were something like 2 or 3 frames on the PS2, this looked fine at 30 FPS but sped up to 60 FPS it looks really bad.

I doubt there's any glitch or that it has to do with the original version anyway. MGS3 could hit 60 fps at some points, and I bet the animations and whatnot were made with that framerate in mind, even if they halved it to push the graphics further.

Concerning the dog tag hunt in MGS2, has anybody else had a problem with getting the names of acquired dog tags to be highlighted above soldiers' heads? I would press Triangle with the scope or whatever camera equipped while looking at them, nothing, then aim at them with M9 in FPV and I get a very, VERY faded version of their name over their head. I don't get it, did they forget that feature exists?

jett

D-Member
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Concerning the dog tag hunt in MGS2, has anybody else had a problem with getting the names of acquired dog tags to be highlighted above soldiers' heads? I would press Triangle with the scope or whatever camera equipped while looking at them, nothing, then aim at them with M9 in FPV and I get a very, VERY faded version of their name over their head. I don't get it, did they forget that feature exists?

maybe they indeed forgot LOL

bluepoint is really not as good as people think. i'm still mad at SotC's fudged up grip controls.

Y2Kev said:
OMG I STILL CANNOT PROCESS MGS3 IN HD IT IS MELTING MY FACE

It's so good. Something about this game's look is so satisfying. The warm color palette, just the right amount of hazy bloom, just about no perceptible aliasing, 60fps, the tasteful model and texture work... it's more pleasing than just about any contemporary game I've played lately.

Grinchy

Banned
revolverjgw said:
It's so good. Something about this game's look is so satisfying. The warm color palette, just the right amount of hazy bloom, just about no perceptible aliasing, 60fps, the tasteful model and texture work... it's more pleasing than just about any contemporary game I've played lately.
I've often wondered why companies never thought to make a "last gen game" that ran at 1080p and 60fps. Like make a game that a PS2 could run, but have it run amazingly well on the new consoles. I imagine that it would be cheaper than making a game with HD assets, but I don't really know. All I know is an epic RPG like FFXII made from scratch for the new consoles at 1080p and 60fps seems like it would sell really well.

revolverjgw said:
It also has wonderful art direction with a surprising amount of variety to the environments; moreso than any other game in the series, I think, even 4.

MGS2 down. I forgot just how cutscene/codec heavy that game got in the last 2 hours.

On to MGS3 now. Can't wait to use dat right stick again.

So does MGS3 still allow you to toggle between the Snake Eater and Subsistence cameras? I'm partial to the OG version for its increased challenge and slowed pacing.

survivor

Banned
Been playing MGS2 all day today. I just did the Ames part. Any idea how far I am in the game so far?

Loving the game so far. I still have problems with the controls but they are not bothering me as much as they did when I originally played. The story is pretty cool though there was bunch of stuff that I didn't know about. I just read the wiki for MGS1 to see what I missed. I was gonna read the ones for the MSX but I decided that I'm gonna play them so I held out.

icarus-daedelus said:
So does MGS3 still allow you to toggle between the Snake Eater and Subsistence cameras? I'm partial to the OG version for its increased challenge and slowed pacing.

Yes.

Subsistence camera diminishes a lot of the impact during the bike chase, always used OG for that part.

Top Bottom