• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

MikeE21286 said:
Lol, note for him that MGS5 is Peace Walker
Funny enough, that timeline is probably going to end up being correct because the real MGS5 (which is what the Fox engine game probably is) is likely going to be a sequel to Peace Walker.

I'm basing that off this pic that came out of a talk Kojima did last month:

foxenginebigboss.jpg

I think Kojima said it doesn't reflect progress on the game, but I dunno, its a lot of work to go through to make a fully HD model of big boss just for a tech demo.

infinityBCRT said:
Funny enough, that timeline is probably going to end up being correct because the real MGS5 (which is what the Fox engine game probably is) is likely going to be a sequel to Peace Walker.

I'm basing that off this pic that came out of a talk Kojima did last month:

foxenginebigboss.jpg

I think Kojima said it doesn't reflect progress on the game, but I dunno, its a lot of work to go through to make a fully HD model of big boss just for a tech demo.

LOL!!
On the latest KP Report, Sean said that they made sure that no one took any pictures of the FOX Engine presentation, guess that worked out OK :p

Thanks BCRT <3

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
rvy said:
People are crazy. Crazy to the point of taking down a harrier with a SOCOM.

That Vamp tactic is harder than it looks. It's very easy to make the mistake of kicking, which ruins the entire thing. The easiest method is to use a grenade launcher and then M9 him while he's berserking if you want to stamina kill him (which isn't required for this platinum)

I'll upload a video of this vamp strategy, the Tengu Extreme battle, and the Solidus Extreme chokehold tomorrow.

Very Easy Mode : Plant Only: All Dog Tags

6341560528_0f96ece356_z.jpg

Done in one small sitting. Even Very Hard and Extreme should be sub 2 hours since the game gives you the Brown Wig and Stealth first. 12 hours for all Plant tags. Less than half that for all Tanker tags.

jett said:
MGS2 on extreme is one of the hardest games I've played. MGS3 doesn't even compare. I literally died hundreds of time on Vamp, but eventually I manged to get myself into a zen trance and beat him. Didn't have rations, didn't have stingers to cheese him, beat him the right way. The boss battles that follow are even harder. Goddamn that game was as relentless as it was satisfying.
I hated that difficulty spike with the bosses. To me at the time, the guards were just way to freaking easy on normal to get past and that was my favourite part of the game. However, most of the bosses were way too hard on extreme, and near the end they were impossible. MGS3 fixed that by bringing the difficulty of the guards up on Normal so I didn't have to feel like I had to play on Extreme to get any satisfaction out of the sneaking parts.

Jb

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
LOL!!
On the latest KP Report, Sean said that they made sure that no one took any pictures of the FOX Engine presentation, guess that worked out OK :p

Thanks BCRT <3
Oh God, these graphics combined with larger environments and the depth of Snake Eater's gameplay...

Net_Wrecker said:
HOLY CRAP, MGS3 should NOT look this good. WTF kind of magic is this? I've also never played the Subsistence version so it's like I'm playing this for the first time. It's so clean, and the free camera allows me to take it in so much more. Wow.

And MGS3 has an atmosphere that is so unlike most games. Hunting animals and guards while keeping track of my ammo/health supplies, monitoring the suppressor gauges, healing injuries, having to eat, the sounds of the jungle, all the options available to the player, etc. etc. I would pay a high price for a multiplayer game with these mechanics where the only goal was to survive in a massive playspace with other players and just hunt crap. Other people, animals, whatever. I LOVE THIS GAME.
It's the best, mang.

Desmond said:
Also did anyone see the new render of Raiden and BB? looks nice
310422_228495023879877_188888181173895_682271_1082657857_n.jpg
Raiden does look kind of amazing here.

So, does MGS3 still retain the original camera mode (accessed via L3 or R3 if I recall correctly) in the HD collection? I actually started to prefer playing it that way for some strange, unfathomable reason.

Alright I'm totally convinced now. MGS3 is the best game in the series, no question. The environments, the survival gameplay mechanics, the characters, the boss battles are all so good. Someone else already said it, but if they put the MGS4 controls into it with over-the- shoulder aiming and modern streamlining, it would be a perfect game. MGS3 is MGS at its best.

Net_Wrecker said:
Alright I'm totally convinced now. MGS3 is the best game in the series, no question. The environments, the survival gameplay mechanics, the characters, the boss battles are all so good. Someone else already said it, but if they put the MGS4 controls into it with over-the- shoulder aiming and modern streamlining, it would be a perfect game. MGS3 is MGS at its best.
I think making the eating, healing and camo mechanics a little more streamlined would be fine, but it basically is close to perfect otherwise. Maybe better voice acting et al, but who gives a shit about that. Don't mind the controls a bit.

It also deserves credit for being the longest and meatiest in the series, gameplay-wise. I mean MGS4 adds on more mechanics and some cool stuff, but in terms of levels there is far less room for actually using & exploring those things than there is in MGS3.

lancerotomy

Neo Member
haha, i played peace walker with one of the dudes from snake soup awhile back on ad hoc party. good guys, really know their shit. looking forward to playing again on a solid psn network connection.

icarus-daedelus said:
I think making the eating, healing and camo mechanics a little more streamlined would be fine, but it basically is close to perfect otherwise. Maybe better voice acting et al, but who gives a shit about that. Don't mind the controls a bit.

It also deserves credits for being the longest and meatiest in the series, gameplay-wise. I mean MGS4 adds on more mechanics and some cool stuff, but in terms of levels there is far less room for actually using & exploring those things than there is in MGS3.

Yeah MGS3 was the perfect balance of cutscenes and gameplay. MGS2 went Codec crazy at the end, and MGS4 went cutscene crazy in Acts 3, 5, and the end.

But if I'm honest, MGS4 with more gameplay, a full install, and without the ridiculous ending would be right behind MGS3. I loved the gameplay in that game.

Cartman86

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah MGS3 was the perfect balance of cutscenes and gameplay. MGS2 went Codec crazy at the end, and MGS4 went cutscene crazy in Acts 3, 5, and the end.

But if I'm honest, MGS4 with more gameplay, a full install, and without the ridiculous ending would be right behind MGS3. I loved the gameplay in that game.

I wonder if i'm the only one, but I really wish MGS4 didn't have the loading screens where when they finished you have to press start to continue. Breaks the immersion every time for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Very funny to me that peace walker is pretty much the most feature packed mgs game in the franchise. 25+ hours in and barely halfway through the plot, and have a small fraction of the extra ops completed.

This game also has some of the largest boss encounters the series has ever seen too, really blown away at the act 2 boss considering its psp roots, and there are 3 acts left!

Took down a few of the monster hunter battles as well in 4p coop online. Neat stuff. Love a lot of the callbacks and humor infused as well. Just got the achievement for doing the 'assassin leap' too. Love the item reward from it too!

Only real sour point are the outer ops missions. Just really poorly implemented with no real strategic basis to consider. Pretty much a crapshoot whether you succeed or not and other games that use this mechanic have all done it better(ff tactics, assassins creed, etc..)

Ridley327

PedroPanache said:
So, does MGS3 still retain the original camera mode (accessed via L3 or R3 if I recall correctly) in the HD collection? I actually started to prefer playing it that way for some strange, unfathomable reason.
It does retain the camera switch, so you can be weird to your hearts content.

I will say that it's immensely disheartening that the Peace Walker port allows you to join missions you haven't actually unlocked yet. Noobs are so badly equipped for the harder missions. The worst one was today when I was doing Pupa Type-2 with three other players and one of them was still using placed supply markers, the rank 1 twin barrel and the RPG2. The fuck, guys.

vid

Ridley327 said:
It does retain the camera switch, so you can be weird to your hearts content.

I will say that it's immensely disheartening that the Peace Walker port allows you to join missions you haven't actually unlocked yet. Noobs are so badly equipped for the harder missions. The worst one was today when I was doing Pupa Type-2 with three other players and one of them was still using placed supply markers, the rank 1 twin barrel and the RPG2. The fuck, guys.

This was an option in the PSP game as well. Players were able to join into late game stuff (
Like the Monster Hunter missions
) even though they hadn't unlocked any of them yet. KojiPro accounted for this to some degree as well, because if you join a mission that you haven't reached yet, it will censor the cutscenes with a television test sequence similar to that of the title screen.

Ridley327

vid said:
This was an option in the PSP game as well. Players were able to join into late game stuff (
Like the Monster Hunter missions
) even though they hadn't unlocked any of them yet. KojiPro accounted for this to some degree as well, because if you join a mission that you haven't reached yet, it will censor the cutscenes with a television test sequence similar to that of the title screen.
How does that help me when the missions take 20 minutes longer than they should have. :(

So from what I'm hearing, MGS2 HD is kind of boned? A bunch of effects missing and stuff?

DL1hv.jpg

2KTNZ.jpg

It seems they may have ported the Xbox/PC version of Substance which was pretty boned too.

NYR94

The release of the HD Collection makes me yearn for new Metal Gear news. Sucks that we'll probably have to wait until E3 2012 for any news on MGS5. If Solid Snake is truly retired, then a game featuring Big Boss in the 80s sure could be a possibility.

Not so interested in Rising.

rvy

Banned
Gouda Jouji said:
So from what I'm hearing, MGS2 HD is kind of boned? A bunch of effects missing and stuff?

http://i.imgur.com/DL1hv.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2KTNZ.jpg[img]

It seems they may have ported the Xbox/PC version of Substance which was pretty boned too.[/QUOTE]
What the fuck?! jett vindicated on his comments about Bluepoint. This is terrible.

Santar

Gouda Jouji said:

It seems they may have ported the Xbox/PC version of Substance which was pretty boned too.

You sure those hd collection shots aren't taken from the cutscene viewer?
Evem om the ps2 the cutscenes were missing effects when you viewed them in the viewer I seem to remember.

If not then, aaaagh, another one of those bothed "HD" ports. Seems the ps2 really had quite a few difficult tricks up it sleeve when it came to wffects.

Sylver said:
Final 360 PAL boxart:
[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/HzBUZ.jpg[/IMG]

It's hard to believe anyone ever made that HD COLLECTION logo and even thought it would be a good idea to submit it, much harder to believe that the publishers went with it, makes all the boxes so ugly.

GrayFoxPL

Gouda Jouji said:

Wow! Wow! WOW!

Butchery!

Emotion Engine is like an older model of sports car that can kick never model's ass!

EE2 for PS4 please Sony!

rvy

Banned
Readying my popcorn for the inevitable defense brigade. I'm sure someone is going to work this into Kojima and Bluepoint doing us a favor by bringing the games to HD and selling them to us.

Red Blaster said:
*sigh*

Why don't you cross-reference this shit before jumping to conclusions?
And the other missing effects?

Santar said:
You sure those hd collection shots aren't taken from the cutscene viewer?
Evem om the ps2 the cutscenes were missing effects when you viewed them in the viewer I seem to remember.

If not then, aaaagh, another one of those bothed "HD" ports. Seems the ps2 really had quite a few difficult tricks up it sleeve when it came to wffects.

I've got no idea, they're from a French MGS fansite. They could all just be unfortunate glitches.

EDIT: Here's where I got those shots from: http://www.metalgearsolid.be/metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-la-chasse-aux-easter-eggs-644.html

burgerdog

Gouda Jouji said:

DL1hv.jpg

2KTNZ.jpg

Source?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
rvy said:
You can't tell that there's a ton of rain effects missing?
Yeah I looked again and I saw them. Image isn't exactly clear there though. Didn't really look into the rain effects while I played since I was just doing it casually not nitpicking graphical stuff.

InfiniteNine said:
When I played the lice were definitely there. I honestly can't tell the difference in that first comparison picture though.

The rain is toned down a lot, and in the last panel the rope the soldier is sliding down in the PS2 version is missing in the HD version.

burgerdog said:

I edited my last post to include a link. There's also the big watermark in the corner of each picture.

Top Bottom