• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

survivor

Banned
So I decided to beat The End the cheap way to get the trophy and then reload my save and fight him normally. His fight was pretty cool. I didn't know about tracking his footsteps with the thermal goggles so I was just running around like an idiot waiting for him to shoot me. Also The Fear has got to be the easiest boss so far. I just stood in one place and kept shooting at him.

Anyway, fuck The Fury. I can't beat this son of a bitch. I always get him down to 50% health then I just get burned.

Desmond

So I decided to beat The End the cheap way to get the trophy and then reload my save and fight him normally. His fight was pretty cool. I didn't know about tracking his footsteps with the thermal goggles so I was just running around like an idiot waiting for him to shoot me. Also The Fear has got to be the easiest boss so far. I just stood in one place and kept shooting at him.

Anyway, fuck The Furry. I can't beat this son of a bitch. I always get him down to 50% health then I just get burned.

I just spent 5 minutes laughing at this. Imagine a furry boss...lol

If I remember, stabbing him is really effective

ScOULaris

Okay, so this is weird. When I played through MGS2, the rope was missing during the helicopter scene on the Tanker. When I play that cutscene through the Casting Theater mode, however, the rope is there.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So after replaying MGS1 this week ( the only MGS i have played, once, at release ), i was ready to start with this collection. It was a nice opportunity to see for myself what it was all about, since i never really cared much about the franchise.

So i started yesterday and 14 or so hours later, i am done with MGS2. It was a fun ride, replaying MGS1 was kind of frustrating because of the controls and how fucking bad it looked. I am no graphic whore, but the PS1 3D graphics didn't age well, but i found MGS2 controls to be quite okay after a while, still a bit convoluted. I would say the gameplay still holds up well today. And for graphics, the game being in HD and 60fps sure helped it, it looks great even by today's standards.

The only real "negative", i think, was the plot/story. Luckily i was never really spoiled for the game, but i remember reading how divisive it was between fans, so i don't know, i mean....
Nanomachines ? Patriots ? Genes ? I am your ally but not, but yes in reality, except not ? The meaning of life ? SO MUCH SHIT GOING ON. Lalulilieowhatever ? i remember someone talk about that in mgs1, i think it was the darpa chief ?, and in this one, Ames, the guy you get the president location from, mentions that too when Ocelot shows up. No idea what that even is. I assume it gets explained in other games right ? But the whole game was weird, especially towards the end, though i liked when the fake colonel was going crazy with the codec messages.

I am wondering if i should take a break or continue on with MGS3. I kinda want to, but don't want burnout since i'll have MGS4 and PW to play after! I really want to though since i kinda like the MGS3 setting, in the jungle, guerrilla like, the survival aspect of it.

Sallokin

I am wondering if i should take a break or continue on with MGS3. I kinda want to, but don't want burnout since i'll have MGS4 and PW to play after! I really want to though since i kinda like the MGS3 setting, in the jungle, guerrilla like, the survival aspect of it.

I think MGS3 is the high point of the series. The story isn't as convoluted as MGS2 (though it has its moments), and the new camera and controls from the subsistence version should really hit the spot for you. I'd say charge right in.

And to answer your question
La Li Lu Le Lo is indeed explained in MGS4 I believe. It's mentioned briefly in MGS3 as well.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I was sure Zavvi.co.uk had the exclusive for the Collectors Edition but I can't even see it on their website now. Just Rising, Standard HD Collection and MGS4.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, I'm confused...The Fury was easy as fuck. Just stand far away, follow his trail, shoot at his tank, then a few at his head. Rinse. Repeat.

IceCold

The 60fps of MGS3 and Peace Walker just blows me away. All are great games, but the up in framerate really makes them shine. And Peace Walker is damned addictive. I haven't been booting up a game so much since Xenoblade. Excellent collection, and well worth it. For what it's worth, the rain is in my MGS3 and the sea lice in MGS2. I'm playing on a 250GB Slim PS3.

Interesting... I thought those effects were only available in the old PS3s (20gb, 60gb) and not the slim.

What do you guys think is the cause of this then? The OS version?

Roto13

I can see the rain in 3 and the sea lice in 2 and I'm playing on a 180gb slim PS3.

Assuming the sea lice are what I think they are.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Also, gay vampires, huh? Man, MGS2 foretold all types of stuff.

:p

I know your comment is meant as a joke, but I'm serious when I say that "Kojima Was Right" about a whole lot of stuff in MGS2.

The best example being that the ending pre-empts the oversaturation of the internet with bullshit social media, "I'll put up this BS article just to get thousands of hits" articles and the general melting pot of shit that the internet has become now that everyone is being encouraged (or should I say "mandated") to "Comment" on things, to "Like" things and to propagate their own self-interests as the truth.

Rose: We've always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books...
Colonel: But not all the information was inherited by later generations. A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really.
Rose: That's what history is, Jack.
Colonel: But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible.
Colonel: The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths.
[...]
Colonel: You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.
Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."
Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

jacket320

Anyone had graphical glitches in MGS3? The game is gorgeous and I'd say one of the better looking games on the ps3 at times. Unfortunately, I've had a crossbow bolt in my chest since The Fear and it won't go away. :p

Ridley327

Anyone had graphical glitches in MGS3? The game is gorgeous and I'd say one of the better looking games on the ps3 at times. Unfortunately, I've had a crossbow bolt in my chest since The Fear and it won't go away. :p

This actually can happen in the original version, so you can't fault it for being unfaithful.

Does knifing do more damage? The one video I watched the dude just punched him to death.

When you knife him, he says something about you tearing his suit. Which probably has some effect like making him more susceptible to damage. I just like stabbing people.

ZnOcP.jpg

Played through the whole game like this back in the day. Apparently I'd make a bad surgeon. I forgot to remove the crossbow bolt from my skull.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
When you knife him, he says something about you tearing his suit. Which probably has some effect like making him more susceptible to damage. I just like stabbing people.

"My suit's been ripped" ?

He says that after taking a bit of damage from any weapon.

Dawg. It's two hexagons.

12, actually. Laid out in the pattern of two larger hexagons. :p

Speaking of hexagons: my Mother Base is freaking huge! 3 Command Center plants; 4 R&D plants; 3 Living Quarters and 3 Support plants, each with 4ths being built; and the Hangar with one Hex plant attached with another waiting to start construction, but I assume I need to capture more vehicles.

Synless

Interesting... I thought those effects were only available in the old PS3s (20gb, 60gb) and not the slim.

What do you guys think is the cause of this then? The OS version?

No, I have a slim ps3 and I had some rain problems in one play through and not the next. I always had the lice show up in the game though. I do not think it is console specific as much as I think it's a glitch.

SamuraiX-

No, I have a slim ps3 and I had some rain problems in one play through and not the next. I always had the lice show up in the game though. I do not think it is console specific as much as I think it's a glitch.

This is what I had suspected from the beginning.

Good to hear.

purg3

slept with Malkin
How rare is the CE of this going to be? One of the GS near me has it in stock, not sure if I should head out in the morning to get it. Was originally waiting for the BF sale on the regular edition.

ScOULaris

purg3 said:
How rare is the CE of this going to be? One of the GS near me has it in stock, not sure if I should head out in the morning to get it. Was originally waiting for the BF sale on the regular edition.
It's gonna be fuckin' RARE. Trust me on that. It was already hard enough to find upon release, so I can only imagine a couple of years down the road. I wanted to get one, but I just waited too long to pull the trigger.

MGS Peace Walker ending question:
Is their still story after the game "ends" and the credits roll? On wikipedia, I see that their is more story once you complete metal gear but I don't see any mention of this story in any gamefaqs walkthroughs.

Ridley327

Is their still story after the game "ends" and the credits roll? On wikipedia, I see that their is more story once you complete metal gear but I don't see any mention of this story in any gamefaqs walkthroughs.

Play some of the Extra Ops you unlocked. It'll show up sooner or later.

Angry Fork

Can you still do that trick against the end where if you stop playing for a few days (or speed up the clock on your system) he'll be dead? lol

BadWolf

Yeah, there is one more chapter.

I know your comment is meant as a joke, but I'm serious when I say that "Kojima Was Right" about a whole lot of stuff in MGS2.

The best example being that the ending pre-empts the oversaturation of the internet with bullshit social media, "I'll put up this BS article just to get thousands of hits" articles and the general melting pot of shit that the internet has become now that everyone is being encouraged (or should I say "mandated") to "Comment" on things, to "Like" things and to propagate their own self-interests as the truth.

I completely agree, what the internet has become because of social media has done nothing further society.

ZnOcP.jpg

Played through the whole game like this back in the day. Apparently I'd make a bad surgeon. I forgot to remove the crossbow bolt from my skull.

lol so did I, I forgot to take a few of them out and never noticed until after it was too late. Saw them while I was leaning up against a wall and thought it was a glitch until I read up on it.

Carnby

I was sure Zavvi.co.uk had the exclusive for the Collectors Edition but I can't even see it on their website now. Just Rising, Standard HD Collection and MGS4.

There are two different versions. The first one is the Limited Edition, which is identical to the one that NA got. For some reason Zavvi is not carrying this.

Then there is the Ulitmate HD version. This one is the zavvi exclusive, as there will only be 4k copies made world wide. Each steelbook case will be numbered. This one is no longer listed on Zavvi because it is sold out. But it still exists. I have my preorder receipt to prove it.

Rose: We've always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books...
Colonel: But not all the information was inherited by later generations. A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really.
Rose: That's what history is, Jack.
Colonel: But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible.
Colonel: The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths.
[...]
Colonel: You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.
Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."
Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Yeah I remember that....downright creepy how spot on that was. Also, Emma's explanation to Raiden (you) of how censorship can and will work in the digital space is also eerily accurate.

What's this I've been hearing about some framerate hiccups in MGS3? Is this true? Is it bad?

Also, can you force 1080p for MGS3 in the XMB or does it just default then then to 480p r w/e.

Ridley327

What's this I've been hearing about some framerate hiccups in MGS3? Is this true? Is it bad?

Also, can you force 1080p for MGS3 in the XMB or does it just default then then to 480p r w/e.

I honestly can't remember any serious frame drops in MGS3, and that's during the more graphically intensive moments like the entire chase sequence or fighting The Boss.

MGS2, on the other hand, has some serious problems if you're using the Stinger.

Is there any way to use the cheat codes for MG1 on the Subsistence version in HD? I'm having a hell of a time beating MG1 even on easy mode.

There were but I don't think they work on these re-release versions. On the MSX, you had to pause (with F2) then type in various words to have max rations / rank...etc

If you don't mind me asking, what part are you having difficulty with?

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I just got captured and met up with gray fox. The problem is running around I havent found any rations so now that I'm up to machine gun kid I have no health and only 3 RC rockets.

SamuraiX-

How are you doing with hand gun/smg ammo?

He's not too bad as long as you're patient and just keep peeking out of the corridors, spray a few shots, and going back into cover.

Even if you take damage from him, he doesn't do much. Some people like to just charge him because his bullets are made of Styrofoam.

Also, I remember there are some spots in the base where rations just keep respawning infinitely.

Top Bottom