• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

And if you need rations, try going back a couple of rooms and find re-spawning enemies. Punch them out, and see if they drop rations. Keep walking in and out of the area to force them to re-spawn and try again.

survivor

Banned
Just beat MGS3. The last boss fight was beautiful. Went directly for a stamina kill cause it made the fight more fun.

Ending question.
So Ocelot from the beginning was working with the CIA? I kept wondering who Adam was but I never thought it would be him. Anyway, who was he talking to at the end?

B.K.

Just beat MGS3. The last boss fight was beautiful. Went directly for a stamina kill cause it made the fight more fun.

Ending question.
So Ocelot from the beginning was working with the CIA? I kept wondering who Adam was but I never thought it would be him. Anyway, who was he talking to at the end?

The director of the CIA.

SamuraiX-

Ending question.

Ocelot was acting as triple agent, so in his first phone call he was speaking with a powerful political figure associated with the KGB (most likely Leonid Brezhnev, successor to Khrushchev) and indicating that he was backstabbing the GRU. However, in his final phone call it becomes clear that Ocelot was ultimately working for the CIA the entire time after he dialed the CIA director (John McCone) and revealed his true identity.

survivor

Banned
The director of the CIA.

Ocelot was acting as triple agent, so in his first phone call he was speaking with a powerful political figure associated with the KGB (most likely Leonid Brezhnev, successor to Khrushchev) and indicating that he was backstabbing the GRU. However, in his final phone call it becomes clear that Ocelot was ultimately working for the CIA the entire time after he dialed the CIA director (John McCone) and revealed his true identity.
Thanks mates.

So that ties in nicely with MGS2 since Ocelot was also working with the Patriots from the start. Pretty cool. I also read about Ocelot being son of The Boss.

So that ties in nicely with MGS2 since Ocelot was also working with the Patriots from the start. Pretty cool. I also read about Ocelot being son of The Boss.

Portable Ops and MGS4 spoilers:

He is The Sorrow and The Boss' son indeed. Fans speculated that his medium abilities in MGS2 were explained by that.

Also, Ocelot betrays CIA's director in Portable Ops and joins the Patriots through Major Zero - shown in MGS4 too.

What's this I've been hearing about some framerate hiccups in MGS3? Is this true? Is it bad?

Every time Volgin shoots some lightning, the frames start dropping; a few times it felt like it dropped to 15fps during intense bolts but that only lasts for a few seconds.

There was some general gameplay framedrops that I noticed (in all 3 games) but they happen so infrequently I can't remember where/why the occurred.

Should I play Peace Walker before I replay MGS 4?

I'm replaying all the games, and I just finished 3. I havent played PW yet, but I beat 4 when I came out. Are the gameplay mechanics in PW more refined than 4, or are they the same?

Will I miss any sort of references if I'm not fresh off of 4?

I was under the impression it was also downloadable from PSN? But if not, is the boxed version region-free?

There's no PSN version yet. I think they're coming next year, but I have the boxed version for PS3 and it's region-free. Actually, all PS3 games are region-free. Transfarring from an EU save is a painful process, however.

-Winnie-

I'm replaying all the games, and I just finished 3. I havent played PW yet, but I beat 4 when I came out. Are the gameplay mechanics in PW more refined than 4, or are they the same?

I didn't feel like Peace Walker related that much to MGS4, it's much more a companion to MGS3.

Pretty similar to MGS4 except you can't crawl and you upgrade weapons through use and recruiting people. It feels a bit weird at first, but you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Blablurn

I finished MGS2 yesterday and i started playing MGS3. DAAAAAMN at those graphics. those bluepoint guys really know how to make an HD Remake.

Just finished MGS3.

yeah, I cried :(

is it just me or did the fight with The Boss seem a little messed up? my memory on it is a bit fuzzy, but I don't remember it being so easy. i finished her non-lethally before Snake Eater even started playing, and the Subsistence camera was disabled through the whole thing for some reason.

i played on extreme and I remember it being much harder, I feel like I missed out on the major emotional impact of that fight because it was just a couple minutes long, and we just fought in silence with no music. i actually thought there was gonna be a part 2 of the fight that I had just forgotten about or something. :(

Omikaru

Transfarring from an EU save is a painful process, however.
Any info on how to do this (checked the OP, and nothing about it being possible)? I figured it plain wouldn't work, but if there's a way, I may plonk down the cash to import. I'm not particularly interested in bringing my PSP Peace Walker save over, but I'm going to start a new PW game and was hoping I could move between PSP and PS3.

Also, another question for anyone who can answer: do we know if online servers are region locked or not? As in, can people with the American version play against people with another version? Because I have a friend who is reluctant to import, yet he wants to do online with me. Should I be advising him to import from the US right now, or should we just wait for the EU version? I don't want to have to buy the game twice...

on 360 servers, seems to be open, since I'm playing the US version on a JP system with a EU account xD (well I've only been playing 2&3 so far)

Any info on how to do this (checked the OP, and nothing about it being possible)? I figured it plain wouldn't work, but if there's a way, I may plonk down the cash to import. I'm not particularly interested in bringing my PSP Peace Walker save over, but I'm going to start a new PW game and was hoping I could move between PSP and PS3.

Also, another question for anyone who can answer: do we know if online servers are region locked or not? As in, can people with the American version play against people with another version? Because I have a friend who is reluctant to import, yet he wants to do online with me. Should I be advising him to import from the US right now, or should we just wait for the EU version? I don't want to have to buy the game twice...

Yeah, I made a post about it after I figured it out but I guess it was glossed over. Basically, you need US and EU copies of the game, (or JP if you want to transfer a save from that version), and CFW'd PSP with the sgdeemer plugin.

The process is this:

1. Install and activate the plugin. You can get it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/251585189/15789_sgdeemer.rar

2. Load your EU copy of the game and save it. Now on your PSP's memory stick you should have a folder called SAVEPLAIN with several files inside it. These are your unencrypted save files.
3. Now load the US version of the game. Save it whenever you get the chance. Now you have an unencrypted US save in SAVEPLAIN.

4. Copy the SDDATA.BIN
SDINFO.BIN from your EU PW save over the corresponding files in your US save.

5. Load up the US version of the game, load your save (the info may look like you've only just started but once you're in-game you should have everything as it was on your main save). Save it again.

6. TRANSFAR

7. Chant Vic Boss at the TV as the Transfarring progresses.

Once you convert it though, you'll want to continue on the US PW, or you'll have to do this every time.

If you don't have everything you need you can send me your save and I'll convert it for you when I get home tonight.

h3ro

There are (shitty) control issues with the 360 version.

Yeah, the need of D-Pad menu stuff alone made me weary of having the 360 version. As long as they both perform relatively well (?) and they're aren't graphical omissions with the PS3 one, I guess I'll wait on a deal for that version.

With the release of the Japanese Metal Gear Solid 2/3 HD Editions this week, I have a question that's been bugging me for the longest time now:

I've already made significant progress in my trophies for MGS2, but I wanna give each game at least 1 runthrough in the Japanese versions to experience the full thing in the native dubbing. Thing is, I don't know how alternate region games are logged in trophies. Will playing the Japanese version reset my trophies?

I know it's just trophies and it's stupid to worry about, but damn it I wanna know!! ">_>

Theonik

With the release of the Japanese Metal Gear Solid 2/3 HD Editions this week, I have a question that's been bugging me for the longest time now:

I've already made significant progress in my trophies for MGS2, but I wanna give each game at least 1 runthrough in the Japanese versions to experience the full thing in the native dubbing. Thing is, I don't know how alternate region games are logged in trophies. Will playing the Japanese version reset my trophies?

I know it's just trophies and it's stupid to worry about, but damn it I wanna know!! ">_>

Typically it would mean you would get separate trophies for your JP copy of the game. But it does depend on the game, haven't heard of people's trophies being reset.

Typically it would mean you would get separate trophies for your JP copy of the game. But it does depend on the game, haven't heard of people's trophies being reset.
The possibility comes to mind in my head because I believe there are some Japanese PS3 games that can have their trophy lists display in English, which makes me think that the trophy list could be shared or corrupted if one plays the 2game versions.

My ps3 copy has just arrived from play-asia.

MGS2 in HD is wonderful, but i'm noticing lots of jaggies on certain surfaces, does the game AA leave some things untouched or there's no AA at all?

Daigoro

Yeah, the need of D-Pad menu stuff alone made me weary of having the 360 version. As long as they both perform relatively well (?) and they're aren't graphical omissions with the PS3 one, I guess I'll wait on a deal for that version.

I feel asleep!

the area with the parked Hind, just before the Ocelot fight, i managed to get the game down to slideshow levels.

blow up the hind during alert phase with 5 guards and then throw a smoke grenade...

I think Peace Walker is the most addictive game I have ever played. Every time I try and turn it off I tell myself to do just one more mission. Find just one more high level recruit. Just one more vehicle to steal. Just one more AI weapon piece to break off. So damn addictive and fun.

I played through most of it on PSP, and here I am doing it all over again. Not having the controls trying to kill me sure makes it a joy to play now. I can't even remember how many times my weird claw-like hand positioning made me accidentally swap out my food and die. Although I did beat CH5 on the PSP, I am amazed at how much stuff I never got around to doing. The amount of content in this game is mind-boggling.

Also decided I can't play through MGS 2&3 again any time soon. Will probably have to wait a few years as they are still too fresh in my memory and I have had several playthroughs each. Peacewalker I only did once, and I forget like 90% of the plot and events.

I've managed to S-rank every mission in Peace Walker so far, though the two tank battles were annoying. I imagine it gets really difficult/crazy later on in the game? Also, when do I start finding Rank B/A soldiers? I've seen a couple S-ranks, but I apparently need some launcher to get them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I've managed to S-rank every mission in Peace Walker so far, though the two tank battles were annoying. I imagine it gets really difficult/crazy later on in the game? Also, when do I start finding Rank B/A soldiers? I've seen a couple S-ranks, but I apparently need some launcher to get them.

they scale with your progress in the game. Later missions and extra ops = higher rank

The S ranks are teases because yeah you need special fulton weapons to get them, but I think they're always there everytime you play the stage so you could replay the mission to keep getting s ranks I guess.

The best way to recruit high level soldiers in the PSP version was hotspot scanning. Especially once your heroism was past a certain level

Ridley327

they scale with your progress in the game. Later missions and extra ops = higher rank

The S ranks are teases because yeah you need special fulton weapons to get them, but I think they're always there everytime you play the stage so you could replay the mission to keep getting s ranks I guess.

The best way to recruit high level soldiers in the PSP version was hotspot scanning. Especially once your heroism was past a certain level

Keep in mind that scanning for recruits is based on your overall heroism; the higher it is, the better the soldiers you get.

What's interesting about the console versions is that when you do scanning, the only soldiers it picks up are Combat-focused, which I think is supposed to be an incentive to use transfarring as that will pick up a much wider variety. As far as I can tell, if you want A/B-rank R&D soldiers, you're going to have to unlock the last couple of Perfect Stealth ops as quickly as you can.

Synless

I am having trouble collecting tog tags in "Holds 1" I am trying to shimmy along the wall to get to one of the marines and I can't make it over. I know about the pull ups stuff, but the speed runs show him at lvl.1 so I don't know how they are making it over. Any help?

Roto13

Is anything missing from the HD version of Peace Walker? I noticed a few of the bonuses from MGS2 Substance and MGS3 Subsistence are missing. (Skateboarding and Secret Theater D:)

Top Bottom