• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

SamuraiX-

I am having trouble collecting tog tags in "Holds 1" I am trying to shimmy along the wall to get to one of the marines and I can't make it over. I know about the pull ups stuff, but the speed runs show him at lvl.1 so I don't know how they are making it over. Any help?

What speed runs exactly? Because I'm pretty sure there's no way to make it to the marine you're talking about with only a Lv1 grip gauge.

Ridley327

Is anything missing from the HD version of Peace Walker? I noticed a few of the bonuses from MGS2 Substance and MGS3 Subsistence are missing. (Skateboarding and Secret Theater D:)

The only major things that are absent are the Vocaloid features and downloading new tracks for the Walkman.

The Walkman already has Beyond the Bounds, so I couldn't care less.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Keep in mind that scanning for recruits is based on your overall heroism; the higher it is, the better the soldiers you get.

What's interesting about the console versions is that when you do scanning, the only soldiers it picks up are Combat-focused, which I think is supposed to be an incentive to use transfarring as that will pick up a much wider variety. As far as I can tell, if you want A/B-rank R&D soldiers, you're going to have to unlock the last couple of Perfect Stealth ops as quickly as you can.

Care to explain this a bit more? I am halfway through Act 5(How many times does that dude escape anyway???), and have put many hours into random co-op missions, yet I am still not sure what your post is referring to. My heroism is nearly 9000 now...have no idea how that number equates to my recruitment(Good, bad?)

What scanning feature are you referring to? Is it some hidden perk of the analyzer I am not noticing? I have a rank 4 analyzer, but I don't see an option to use it in the manner your post describes.

Also, any tips for earning head parts for Zeke? I have done some google research, but there is a weird debate as to what actually earns them. (ie. Only earnable against 'Custom' versions, and only randomly without doing damage to head parts...)

def sim

Pulled the trigger on that Amazon $29.99 deal. Looking forward to replaying some of these games again. It's been a couple of years. D:

Ridley327

Care to explain this a bit more? I am halfway through Act 5(How many times does that dude escape anyway???), and have put many hours into random co-op missions, yet I am still not sure what your post is referring to. My heroism is nearly 9000 now...have no idea how that number equates to my recruitment(Good, bad?)

What scanning feature are you referring to? Is it some hidden perk of the analyzer I am not noticing? I have a rank 4 analyzer, but I don't see an option to use it in the manner your post describes.

Also, any tips for earning head parts for Zeke? I have done some google research, but there is a weird debate as to what actually earns them. (ie. Only earnable against 'Custom' versions, and only randomly without doing damage to head parts...)

In the main menu for the base, the upper right hand icon is the Recruiting option. On the PSP, you could scan wi-fi hotspots to use it; on the consoles, you have to play online for a bit to get three scans per session. Once you hit about 10k Heroism, you'll start seeing a significant uptick in good soldiers during Recruiting.

And I'll be goddamned if I know what causes AI heads or Peace Walker's legs to drop.

And I'll be goddamned if I know what causes AI heads or Peace Walker's legs to drop.

To get the AI heads, you have to fight the Custom versions of all of them and not damage the heads AT ALL. Pupa and Cocoon are the easiest; for Chrysalis, you need the lvl5 Stinger you get from Outer Ops; and Peace Walker is a bitch with its EM field -- I don't know how you're supposed to do it without hitting the head since the damn thing moves around so much.

zychi

Banned
So, for the transfarring thing in peace walker. What exactly do I get if I transfer my near 100% psp save to my ps3 version? Will all my missions be complete? Will I be able to just play from where I am in the psp version?

The only major things that are absent are the Vocaloid features and downloading new tracks for the Walkman.

The Walkman already has Beyond the Bounds, so I couldn't care less.

That sucks to hear that they took those things out. I was really looking forward to adding some new songs to my Walkman to listen to when taking down machines. Oh well, doubt I would do the Vocaloid stuff though.

It's strange, but the Snake Eater intro bothers me because it's out of synch compared to the PS2 version. I wasn't sure why, but I realized it's because the song starts at the "Konami Presents" screen instead of starting after.

Falcs

Banned
Just finished MGS2.
Damn, I had forgotten how emotional the scenes with Otacon and Emma are. Maybe it's just me coz I love MGS and I really get into the story, but the sad music... the voice acting.. damn! And I love how Snake is just so cool about the whole situation while Otacon is breaking down. Dammit I love this series!

I started up MGS3 for about 10mins before going to bed. Wholey-fricken-crap it looks good!! Can't wait to get back into it!

Synless

Ah, that's interesting.

If you highlight the little box over the gauges on YouTube, it says you can do it with either a full LIFE gauge or at least a LV2 GRIP gauge.

So are you at 100% health right now?

I wasnt sure , I just gave up and started it again becoming lvl. 2 this round.

Just finished MGS2.
Damn, I had forgotten how emotional the scenes with Otacon and Emma are. Maybe it's just me coz I love MGS and I really get into the story, but the sad music... the voice acting.. damn! And I love how Snake is just so cool about the whole situation while Otacon is breaking down. Dammit I love this series!

I started up MGS3 for about 10mins before going to bed. Wholey-fricken-crap it looks good!! Can't wait to get back into it!

Also - Snake & Otacon Bro-fist! Otacon's crying is hilarious though.

Some of that speedrun stuff just feels wrong to me. I guess it doesn't count as an alarm until the 'ALARM' counter appears on screen? He was getting a lot of exclamation marks, and he just ran straight through the projector's beam in the hold which makes no sense to me (can you glitch through it without getting a game over if you're auto-aiming?). It's an amazing show, anyway. The way he took out Olga and the Soldiers later on was stunning.

jsnepo

I am having trouble collecting tog tags in "Holds 1" I am trying to shimmy along the wall to get to one of the marines and I can't make it over. I know about the pull ups stuff, but the speed runs show him at lvl.1 so I don't know how they are making it over. Any help?

I don't remember any problems with getting the tag off the guard in hold 1. Make sure Snake's life is full before you shimmy.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Never plyed MGS before but are the 360 control issues really that bad? Wondering if I should bite and pick this up from amazon.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Some of that speedrun stuff just feels wrong to me. I guess it doesn't count as an alarm until the 'ALARM' counter appears on screen?

Exactly. The ALARM state occurs if;

- You shoot an unsilenced weapon. Automatically goes off.

- Camera spots you. Automatically goes off (although there actually is a second delay between the camera spotting you and the alarm going off, I beat a vr mission by a hair that way).

- A soldier radios the ALARM in after spotting you. The general routine for the AI is:

Step 1. Soldier spots you. Cone of vision turns red. Exclamation mark appears above their head.

Step 2. Soldier shoots a few rounds at you.

Step 3. Soldier takes a few quick steps away from you, then looks at you again.

Step 4. Soldier radios in ALARM while looking at the player's position. You'll see yellow squares emitting from the soldier on your radar. After he finishes his line of dialogue, the ALARM is triggered. If you hurt or kill him before he can finish, an investigation squad is called in. If the soldier's radio isn't working:

Step 5. Soldier walks quickly to the nearest exit and the ALARM triggers the moment he leaves

I think MGS3 is similar but I haven't played that one enough to say. Basically this speedrun never let the soldiers get past Step 1.

You need to have a near full life bar. Depending on the difficulty there might be a ration behind where you start in Hold 1 (you can actually open that pressure door you just came through). Also 4 minutes sounds like plenty of time to build up to level 2. You probably know this but dropping down from a higher ledge to a lower one counts as 10 pullups. Worst case scenario: beat the tanker mission and just do it again. I missed one tag in the PLANT episode inside Arsenal so you have it easy!

Daigoro

Never plyed MGS before but are the 360 control issues really that bad? Wondering if I should bite and pick this up from amazon.

nothing wrong with them in MGS3 or Peace Walker. havent played MGS2 yet.

so far the 360 version is fine and dandy. dunno what people are talking about honestly. MGS2 maybe?

they come up with alternate controller functions in place of the pressure sensitive stuff from the ps2 versions. it works fine.

Nelo Ice

Banned

so far the 360 version is fine and dandy. dunno what people are talking about honestly. MGS2 maybe?

they come up with alternate controller functions in place of the pressure sensitive stuff from the ps2 versions. it works fine.

Guess I'll order it then thanks.

Also its ok to start with mgs2 right? I dont have any easy way to play mgs1 besides my ps2 which I have no idea if it still works or not.

It took me about twenty hours to achieve "King of the Jungle" and "It Ain't Easy Being Green". I also got way too many alerts during that run.

I didn't have too many problems with the controls which is nice because I remember trying to jump back into MGS3: Subsistence a year or so ago and couldn't do it after MGS4.

I didn't think I would do it, but I S ranked all Main and Extra Ops last night!

Gear REX v.4 was a pain in the ass... thank god for the bandana.

Guess I'll order it then thanks.

Also its ok to start with mgs2 right? I dont have any easy way to play mgs1 besides my ps2 which I have no idea if it still works or not.

Why not download MGS1 off PSN?

The collection for 360 is $30 on Amazon, while the PS3 version is still $50. I was thinking about grabbing it for the 360, but am wary about the supposed janky controls. If it's just remapped stuff, I'm not too worried about it. But if the controls are actually bad/unresponsive/etc. then I'll wait for a PS3 drop.

DEFINITELY going to look to buy this for PS3 (never finished MGS2, never played MGS3 or MGS:pW). Any deals I should look for or sites where it's priced well?
The collection for 360 is $30 on Amazon, while the PS3 version is still $50.
Of frickin' course. Once of the few games I want to buy ASAP and the deal is on the 360. :jakncoke

Didn't you have to target body parts, like the head or groin?

hmmm probably i've been just targeting behind them and shooting around and punching them once
i was just checking the special and there is a dog tag viewer, i fail

yup that was it, haha *restarts game* , nah unless if theres an achievement for all the dog tags

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
hmmm probably i've been just targeting behind them and shooting around and punching them once
i was just checking the special and there is a dog tag viewer, i fail

yup that was it, haha *restarts game* , nah unless if theres an achievement for all the dog tags

There is an achievement for getting all dog tags across all difficulties. Blupoint took out Very Hard and you don't have to get them for European Extreme, so it's not bad at all. Remember if a guard doesn't give you his tag to shoot by his ear or point a grenade launcher/stinger/nikita at him. You can tell if he has a tag by a glimmer of light on his chest or by using thermal goggles.

The best time to get tags in the Tanker is after Olga. In New Game+ you'll find a very useful suppressor for your USP on the ladder near her boss fight.

The best time to get tags in the Plant is after meeting Ames. Security on the whole Shell tightens. New guards with tags spawn in every area from the AB Connecting Bridge to the DE Connecting Bridge, and investigation/ALERT squads now comprise of Solidus's American agents instead of the Russians. They have a lot heavier armor, it's very hard to headshot them from behind. They don't have tags, though.

Okay, I'm a UK gaffer strongly considering importing this. Am I going to miss out on any features by doing so? I'd heard that transfarring won't work between US and EU saves, but I'm not going to be doing that anyway. Is that it?

Also, is VideoGamePlus the best place to go with?

There is an achievement for getting all dog tags across all difficulties. Blupoint took out Very Hard and you don't have to get them for European Extreme, so it's not bad at all. Remember if a guard doesn't give you his tag to shoot by his ear or point a grenade launcher/stinger/nikita at him. You can tell if he has a tag by a glimmer of light on his chest or by using thermal goggles.

The best time to get tags in the Tanker is after Olga. In New Game+ you'll find a very useful suppressor for your USP on the ladder near her boss fight.

The best time to get tags in the Plant is after meeting Ames. Security on the whole Shell tightens. New guards with tags spawn in every area from the AB Connecting Bridge to the DE Connecting Bridge, and investigation/ALERT squads now comprise of Solidus's American agents instead of the Russians. They have a lot heavier armor, it's very hard to headshot them from behind. They don't have tags, though.

You seem to be an expert.... So dog tags carry over in a New Game+? Meaning if I had 1/2 of the dog tags in Tanker, beat the entire game, then play just Tanker, I only have to get the other 1/2?

Top Bottom