• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Salaadin

You seem to be an expert.... So dog tags carry over in a New Game+? Meaning if I had 1/2 of the dog tags in Tanker, beat the entire game, then play just Tanker, I only have to get the other 1/2?

Yeah. You dont have to get every single dog tag on your first time through each difficulty. As long as you are using the same save file that contains the data for the dog tags you already collected, youre ok.

The Tanker is actually easier to finish on all difficulties because, once you wrap up the game the first time, you can load up your completed save, choose a different difficulty, and then select to only do the Tanker portion which takes maybe an hour tops if you have it down pat.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Finally got it! The art book is pretty disappointing as I've seen all of these pics before in my other artbooks but meh. Once I'm done with Ico and SOTC I can start with the greatest game ever... MGS2:)

bB9y7.jpg

EDIT- I guess TinyPic doesn't work anymore:|

Salaadin

Finally got it! The art book is pretty disappointing as I've seen all of these pics before in my other artbooks but meh. Once I'm done with Ico and SOTC I can start with the greatest game ever... MGS2:)

http://************/r/1on4hi/5

EDIT- I guess TinyPic doesn't work anymore:|

Yeah tinypic was killed because they started re-using old URLs or something and the wrong/NSFW images were popping up.

http://imgur.com/ is a good alternative.

Agreed about the art book too. Its a great thing to have but I already owned the previous art books so it was nothing new to me. My own fault for getting it.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Yeah tinypic was killed because they started re-using old URLs or something and the wrong/NSFW images were popping up.

http://imgur.com/ is a good alternative.

Agreed about the art book too. Its a great thing to have but I already owned the previous art books so it was nothing new to me. My own fault for getting it.

Thank you sir.

I hope that the Japanese Ver. with the bigger artbook will have something I haven't seen:)

Falcs

Banned
Guess I'll order it then thanks.

Also its ok to start with mgs2 right? I dont have any easy way to play mgs1 besides my ps2 which I have no idea if it still works or not.

You have to AT LEAST read up the WHOLE story for MGS1. There is so much you won't understand in MGS2 if you don't. I'd recommend watching a playthrough of it on youtube or something.
And make sure it's MGS1 the original, not Twin Snakes. Twin Snakes should not be anybody's introduction to the series.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You have to AT LEAST read up the WHOLE story for MGS1. There is so much you won't understand in MGS2 if you don't. I'd recommend watching a playthrough of it on youtube or something.
And make sure it's MGS1 the original, not Twin Snakes. Twin Snakes should not be anybody's introduction to the series.

Watch the game played on YouTube is my opinion. If you can't stomach the PS1 visuals, check out the GameCube Twin Snake's quick runs.

Nelo Ice

Banned

K i'll get to that, only experience I have with the MGS series is watching my cousin play MGS2 back in the day otherwise I've never actually played any of the games myself.

Ridley327

To be honest, the story isn't the reason why MGS1 is essential to understanding MGS2. It's probably the least important aspect of that title that MGS2 uses.

Well over the week I finished 2 and 3. It felt really good to play good MGS games again. Those games are still fantastic. Two is just strangely interesting, I don't think any game has as intriguing a story. A story with a worldview that has a lot to say about video games and the internet. It's still very relevant today Three is just about the bet game ever.

As for the HD part. I never noticed any problems and regardless the fact that they ran great and didn't look like crap on my HDtv is enough for me to not understand the complaints.

I don't think I'll touch Peace Walker as it was horrible on PSP and I doubt better controls will make it better. It will just make the regular missions even more boring as now I don't have to fight with the aiming. The only problems will come with the boss battles, which new controls won't fix that they are frustratingly un fun and that grinding the unfun bonus missions is needed. Never mind the story.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Fuck EB and fuck Play Asia!

How is it possible that all this time they say that Pre Orders will be opening up soon then when I check it's all sold out. I wanted the Japanese LE too but somehow it's all sold out. Fucking balls.

micster

On my train home from a week away and a package has been sent to the depot for me to collect. Sounds like that'll be my US LE! Then I check my email and am presented with this

eYepH.png

Very big smile on my face now.

Fuck EB and fuck Play Asia!

How is it possible that all this time they say that Pre Orders will be opening up soon then when I check it's all sold out. I wanted the Japanese LE too but somehow it's all sold out. Fucking balls.
Yup, I think it is going to be very rare (the Japanese LE). I actually saw it in stock at Yesasia one night, was checking out and then decided to not use Paypal (big mistake) and switched to standard credit card... the item was sold out while I was doing that. :/
I really do not even think Playasia got any as both the Peace Walker and 2+3 LEs went straight to out-of-stock / sold out.

Good thing my CDJapan copy I preordered months ago shipped today (though I had to pay almost $50 more for shipping this week to upgrade to EMS).

I don't think I'll touch Peace Walker as it was horrible on PSP and I doubt better controls will make it better. It will just make the regular missions even more boring as now I don't have to fight with the aiming. The only problems will come with the boss battles, which new controls won't fix that they are frustratingly un fun and that grinding the unfun bonus missions is needed. Never mind the story.
Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 04:24 AM)​
Says it all, really...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You seem to be an expert.... So dog tags carry over in a New Game+? Meaning if I had 1/2 of the dog tags in Tanker, beat the entire game, then play just Tanker, I only have to get the other 1/2?

Yes and no.

Yes, if you finish the Tanker with 1/2 dog tags you only need 1/2 more tags. You can check your progress under EXTRAS.

But there is an asterisk. Remember that you have to FINISH the Tanker episode so the tag remains locked in your save file and you can select a new difficulty afterwards. Your tag can be a guy you forgot at the start of the Tanker but you have to beat the Tanker again if you want a new item unlocked. After the Tanker and Plant respectively the game lets you save. THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD SAVE. This save will be RED. You'll be choosing red saves from now on for the remaining difficulties.

Sub_Level

I wouldn't exactly say I'm a bitch for not getting over the fact that they replaced Solid Snake with an effeminate pussy.

Except Raiden isn't a pussy and withstands more psychological trauma than pretty much any other character in the series.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I got this, jumped into Snake Eater (skipped fro MGS to MGS4 then PW, skipped 2 & 3).. were the controllers this clunky on the PS2? I'm assuming yes.

I guess I'll get over it, I did with PW and it's terrible PSP controls, but after playing other 3rd person action/adventure games it feels so clunky.

No, actually arguing your opinion with points would say something, but I guess that would be too much for you.

I beat all boss fights solo, and I'm not the most skilled player around. Just gotta know what to load up on. I never really grinded on my way to the end of the story - but it was damn addicting to replay some missions just to go for more soldiers and further develop weapons, gear and infrastructure.

As for controls, they're pretty much a slightly tighter version of Syphon Filter's controls - and they worked fine for me.

SpudBud

I've got a question, I ordered the 360 version and I'm wondering how do they handle not having pressure sensitive face buttons for MGS2 and MGS3?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Except Raiden isn't a pussy and withstands more psychological trauma than pretty much any other character in the series.

and he pretty much acts the same as Snake in MGS1

but I mean everything that can be said in this discussion has been said. People are going to stick to their opinions whatever they are

No, actually arguing your opinion with points would say something, but I guess that would be too much for you.

You complained about poor controls in the original

and now that you have dualshock you're complaining the game will be boring because you don't have to fight with the controls you hate

Why would anyone respond to that seriously? You just seem to enjoy being contrary

Yup, I think it is going to be very rare (the Japanese LE). I actually saw it in stock at Yesasia one night, was checking out and then decided to not use Paypal (big mistake) and switched to standard credit card... the item was sold out while I was doing that. :/
I really do not even think Playasia got any as both the Peace Walker and 2+3 LEs went straight to out-of-stock / sold out.

Good thing my CDJapan copy I preordered months ago shipped today (though I had to pay almost $50 more for shipping this week to upgrade to EMS).
I'm from New York, and the difference between FedEx and EMS shipping was fairly negligible so I went with FedEx, also it seemed the fastest option if even by only a few days. What did you have your shipping method as before?

I only have MGS1 Snake's VR Variety Missions to go, and then I can finish my dog tag hunt by the next few weeks and have MGS2 platinum'd! I guess then I'll jump into Japanese MGS3 and see what it does to my MGS3 trophy list. Either make a separate one or overtake the already laid out one...

I beat all boss fights solo, and I'm not the most skilled player around. Just gotta know what to load up on. I never really grinded on my way to the end of the story - but it was damn addicting to replay some missions just to go for more soldiers and further develop weapons, gear and infrastructure.

As for controls, they're pretty much a slightly tighter version of Syphon Filter's controls - and they worked fine for me.

This prettymuch... ^^^ Hard bosses are FUN! Why does everyone think they have to beat the boss first try nowadays? Geeze, try Metal Gear NES...

And the story in Peace Walker was classic Metal Gear; great references to MGS3
(loved that The Boss's horse was included)
, batshit crazy and completely illogical
(even while being entirely predictable - this is Metal Gear after all)
plot twists, villanous archetypes straight out of an LSD-inspired B-movie script... What's not to like?

Anyway, I loved it. And I don't have bad taste.

painey

got this for $30 and looking forward to playing it this christmas. got to an annoying section on MGS2 where I had to hand-hold a girl and quit on ps2. stopped after the first boss on mgs3 after i heard subsistence was coming and played peace walker for about 10 minutes on psp. Lots of game still to see and play in HD now

This prettymuch... ^^^ Hard bosses are FUN! Why does everyone think they have to beat the boss first try nowadays? Geeze, try Metal Gear NES...
It has nothing to with beating them on the first try and being hard. They simply aren't fun. Every boss battle dveleps into shoot, wait for supply drop, and shoot some more. They are some of the most boring boss battles in the entire series. So they aren't hard, there is nothing hard to them, just long and drawn out. That and the fact that they lack any personality and character unlike past MGS games is a huge personality.

But I guess if I grind it's boring and simple missions I'll just have the stuff to kill the enemies pretty quickly. What a great idea. Playing missions where I can basically run up to enemies and just CQC them, basically having no tension or thought in it's sneaking. Which you know, past MGS games had.

And the story in Peace Walker was classic Metal Gear; great references to MGS3
(loved that The Boss's horse was included)
Classic MG? Classic MG it is not. The missing of a rogue army group makes this nothing like past MGS games. References to MGS3? Who cares when they simply further shit on MGS3.
Thanks, I really didn't need to know that the bosses sacrifice was completely planned and not as meaningful as it use to be
. Or have emo Big Boss, you know why Big Boss was cool? It wasn't because he was some emotional retard. Thanks Kojima, you didn't need to spell it out for me why he created Outer Heaven, after MGS3 I could have my own ideas, I'm not an idiot.
ha batshit crazy
PW is about the most dry MGS plot out there, it isn't bat shit crazy, it has a plot that wants to shove nuclear deterrence down your throat. Hardly any real twists occur and the story is hardly exciting. Plus it's characters are pretty lame and hardly memorable. There's nothing crazy about them, since they are pretty grounded save for 1 or 2.

Anyway, I loved it. And I don't have bad taste.
You like Peace Walker, so you do.

Right.

My only problem with Raiden is his look. Yes, it's superficial, but the guy just looks ridiculous and lame. It plays into the story but in a fairly unnecessary way. I just don't like him being my avatar for superficial, base reasons. As a character he's pretty solid.

OK, there is another problem with Raiden, and that is Rose. Many of those conversations are just... my god.

MGS2, like MGS4, would have been so much better if it had someone acting as an editor. They both have excessive elements that would have been fine in moderation. Like all that EE stuff, or the Ocelot shooting lasting 4x as long as it needed to.

Sub_Level

Yeah you're right. I guess mostly its mostly just the looks and high pitched voice.

Can't blame you for disliking those. I think he'd benefit from being more clean cut, like Young Ocelot in MGS3. And change the color of those white ass lips lol

It has nothing to with beating them on the first try and being hard. They simply aren't fun. Every boss battle dveleps into shoot, wait for supply drop, and shoot some more. They are some of the most boring boss battles in the entire series. So they aren't hard, there is nothing hard to them, just long and drawn out. That and the fact that they lack any personality and character unlike past MGS games is a huge personality.
Well, they were MACHINES you were fighting, so ya, you're right they don't have the personality of The End, Vulcan Raven, Liquid in the HiND or The Boss, I'll grant you that... The collector aspects of the battles really appealed to the completionist in me though; gathering parts for my own AI/Rex was fun...

But I guess if I grind it's boring and simple missions I'll just have the stuff to kill the enemies pretty quickly. What a great idea. Playing missions where I can basically run up to enemies and just CQC them, basically having no tension or thought in it's sneaking. Which you know, past MGS games had.
I take it you weren't S Ranking everything and working on expanding Outer Heaven or building your own Rex then? Because that was a lot of the game, there...

Classic MG? Classic MG it is not. The missing of a rogue army group makes this nothing like past MGS games. References to MGS3? Who cares when they simply further shit on MGS3.
It worked fine for me within the context of that game - I didn't interpret it as "shitting" on MGS3 at all... I'll admit I tend to "compartmentalize" the MGS games while playing them, however, in that I don't dwell on the plot points as they apply to the canon so much as just enjoy the ride...

You like Peace Walker, so you do.
Bah, says you... and that's an opinion sufficiently issolated that I'm not gonna get tagged with it...

Well, they were MACHINES you were fighting, so ya, you're right they don't have the personality of The End, Vulcan Raven, Liquid in the HiND or The Boss, I'll grant you that... The collector aspects of the battles really appealed to the completionist in me though; gathering parts for my own AI/Rex was fun...
Fine, fun for you. But I don't come to Metal Gear for Monster Hunter type grinds. No MGS bossess were cool for their personality and uniqueness. Things the bosses in PW don't have at all. The battles play out the same.

I take it you weren't S Ranking everything and working on expanding Outer Heaven or building your own Rex then? Because that was a lot of the game, there...
I didn't want to, but since you have to have Rex for the actual ending of the game, then yeah I did. But I sure didn't find replaying the same boring missions to be very fun. No the entire Militia building was the complete opposite of fun.

It worked fine for me within the context of that game - I didn't interpret it as "shitting" on MGS3 at all... I'll admit I tend to "compartmentalize" the MGS games while playing them, however, in that I don't dwell on the plot points as they apply to the canon so much as just enjoy the ride...
How does it work in the context of the story? The story who's entire point that Snake is supposed to find a reason to get over the story.
Turning the Boss's sacrifice into something less noble cheapens her and cheapens Snake's guilt over it.
Never mind that it's pretty pointless. But fine, you abosorb the stories differently.

Bah, says you... and that's an opinion sufficiently isolated that I'm not gonna get tagged with it...
Going all "lol your tag so fuck your opinion" is lame.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Okay, I'm a UK gaffer strongly considering importing this. Am I going to miss out on any features by doing so? I'd heard that transfarring won't work between US and EU saves, but I'm not going to be doing that anyway. Is that it?

Also, is VideoGamePlus the best place to go with?

I got mine from there and it works perfectly. VideoGamePlus shipped it straight away and it took about a week to get here, i'd do it.

Falcs

Banned
And that's why all those GAF bitches got pissy about Raiden and still haven't gotten over it.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm a bitch for not getting over the fact that they replaced Solid Snake with an effeminate pussy.

I can understand the frustration/disappointment of having Snake replaced by Raiden. When I first played MGS2 I was also disappointed and kept hoping that I would again be able to control Snake after the Tanker. But the fact that Snake was still a very main character during Big Shell made it okay for me after a while and I got over it. I also don't really fancy Raiden all that much as a character in MGS2, but I really enjoyed seeing and interacting with Snake from a different perspective.
To me MGS2 is kind of like if you were Robin and you were going around kicking ass with Batman. While it would be so much more kickass to be Batman, it would STILL be awesome going along side the goddam Batman! That's why I like MGS2. Instead of actually being Snake, I got to be in there WITH Snake.

I remember the first time (MGS2 Spoiler)
I met up with Snake inside Arsenal Gear.
Best part of game (besides Tanker)! I took out my camera in the game and started taking photos of (MGS2 Spoiler)
Snake shooting up enemies with the M4

survivor

Banned
Just played couple of missions from Peace Walker. While the controls are better with the whole L1/R1 thing for shooting, I find these menus to be terrible especially the vertical placement of items/weapons. Will need some time to get used to them.

Now I really wish one of my friends got the game. Playing this on co-op would be an awesome experience.

Carnby

I don't want to say,"I told you so" but the prices of the LE on the ebay market are dropping. The average winning bid is less than 110 dollars. I predicted that this game would bottom out at 100 dollars.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Oh my god. I've been watching nearly every site for a chance to buy/preorder the Japanese LE since it was announced. Nothing ever came up, and now it seems to be sold out everywhere except for 300+ dollars on ebay. What the fuck.

Yeah you're right. I guess mostly its mostly just the looks and high pitched voice.

Raiden has a pretty damn manly voice in the original Japanese dub. He was never meant to sound like a whiny teenager.

http://www.nicovideo.jp.am/watch/sm1158591
http://www.nicovideo.jp.am/watch/sm1158678

About 5 hours late from their projected delivery time, FedEx finally got my Metal Gear Solid HD Edition Premium Package to me. Here's a shot I took comparing the U.S. and Japanese limited editions, click on it for a larger version:

The Japanese artbook has loads more concept art than the U.S. one, and heck I don't even remember ever seeing some of the MGS3 concept stuff. Things like unused character designs like a woman with snakes called Snake Eye. It seems to be evenly divided at about 160 pages per Solid game with an even split of 80 pages concept and character art. The CD's content was mistranslated, only 8 tracks with 5 being songs we already have and the other 3 being instrumental versions of the credits themes for 1, 2, and 3's Snake Eater.

Haven't opened the game yet. >_>

Top Bottom