• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
All first place. All on my first try.

6402223607_7d44fac168_z.jpg

Come at me, Gaf. Still have that fucking PSG1 Variety mission though, I'd say the hardest mission in the game.

rikichi

About 5 hours late from their projected delivery time, FedEx finally got my Metal Gear Solid HD Edition Premium Package to me. Here's a shot I took comparing the U.S. and Japanese limited editions, click on it for a larger version:

The Japanese artbook has loads more concept art than the U.S. one, and heck I don't even remember ever seeing some of the MGS3 concept stuff. Things like unused character designs like a woman with snakes called Snake Eye. It seems to be evenly divided at about 160 pages per Solid game with an even split of 80 pages concept and character art. The CD's content was mistranslated, only 8 tracks with 5 being songs we already have and the other 3 being instrumental versions of the credits themes for 1, 2, and 3's Snake Eater.

Haven't opened the game yet. >_>

lucky.

check if the game is english friendly pls

micster

About 5 hours late from their projected delivery time, FedEx finally got my Metal Gear Solid HD Edition Premium Package to me. Here's a shot I took comparing the U.S. and Japanese limited editions, click on it for a larger version

Oh man, I cant wait. Picked up my US copy today and Fedex are saying the Japanese one'll be with me Monday. Been replaying MGS2 a lot of the day. Looks so so nice.

All first place. All on my first try.

6402223607_7d44fac168_z.jpg

Come at me, Gaf. Still have that fucking PSG1 Variety mission though, I'd say the hardest mission in the game.

I was surprised that I got first place on all grenade VR missions as MGS1 Snake, but maybe that specific group is more lenient compared to the other weapon missions. I've only got the Variety set of missions left before I 100% VR Missions. :D

lucky.

check if the game is english friendly pls

But the English version is already out... >_>
From MGS3, I can see that menu options themselves are all in English, but otherwise it's spoken in Japanese and so are all the dialogue and flavor text blocks.

The Japanese artbook has loads more concept art than the U.S. one, and heck I don't even remember ever seeing some of the MGS3 concept stuff. Things like unused character designs like a woman with snakes called Snake Eye. It seems to be evenly divided at about 160 pages per Solid game with an even split of 80 pages concept and character art.
I'm glad someone ordered both to make this comparison. I own the U.S. LE and the Japanese one will arrive next month, but I really did not want to open the U.S. LE just to compare the two. Now I can sell the U.S. one as unopened.

How about the developer commentary in the art book? Like, if there is a similar page of art in both books, does the Japanese book have commentary where the English book does not? The reason I ask is because Konami supposedly cut the English version of their Otomedius X art book (the one included in the U.S. LE release) in half as well, and that does not sit well with the bibliophile in me. If they are being lazy about translating commentary too, then I will have to disregard their English books from now on.

From MGS3, I can see that menu options themselves are all in English, but otherwise it's spoken in Japanese and so are all the dialogue and flavor text blocks.
This is also good to hear. I really wanted a Japanese-language version of the games to keep my English-language releases from being redundant.

I'm glad someone ordered both to make this comparison. I own the U.S. LE and the Japanese one will arrive next month, but I really did not want to open the U.S. LE just to compare the two. Now I can sell the U.S. one as unopened.

How about the developer commentary in the art book? Like, if there is a similar page of art in both books, does the Japanese book have commentary where the English book does not? The reason I ask is because Konami supposedly cut the English version of their Otomedius X art book (the one included in the U.S. LE release) in half as well, and that does not sit well with the bibliophile in me. If they are being lazy about translating commentary too, then I will have to disregard their English books from now on.
The Japanese book actually doesn't have any sort of artists' notes or development notes in there besides the little one-word bits that would accompany any particular sketch. When they said artbook, it's all art. I guess it was a way to still retain value for the original individual games' artbook releases that had those elements. Me, I just wanted the art from the first 3 games, and the Japanese artbook gives me that. IN 460 OR SO PAGES :DDDDDD

If anything, I would say that the old Bradygames MGS3 Limited Edition guidebook's accompanying artbook is a good companion to the HD Collection Artbook that U.S. consumers could get. That old thing had so much more MGS1 art in it than even 2 or 3 that it puzzled me why it was included with that guide, but it works in conjunction to the book we got to make it a complete set.

v0yce

I happened to luck into a PS3 LE last night at a GameStop and my artbook is upside down. Was this common and is there anything I can do about it?

I happened to luck into a PS3 LE last night at a GameStop and my artbook is upside down. Was this common and is there anything I can do about it?
Maybe e-mail or call Konami and ask them if you can get a replacement? Alternately, maybe call Gamestop and ask if you can get a Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition as compensation?
The latter suggestion is a joke

If anybody wants the Japanese HD Edition Premium Package for Xbox 360, Play-Asia has it now. Only 2 left as of this posting, click this line.

So I just started Peace Walker for the first time. It's amazing. The base building aspects are really fun and I like how short the missions are.

I'm having a hard time finding a co-op partner though, so I guess I'm going to have to take the bosses on alone.

So I just started Peace Walker for the first time. It's amazing. The base building aspects are really fun and I like how short the missions are.

I'm having a hard time finding a co-op partner though, so I guess I'm going to have to take the bosses on alone.

I noticed that for the harder bosses later on I was usually able to find at least one person to help me out. Might have to wait a minute or two, but it is worth it. The first couple of vehicle bosses are pretty easy if you just concentrate on killing the soldiers. Then you can just kill the pilot and capture the vehicle. Feels good to have a whole garage full of war machinery.

Unbelievable, i still haven't received my game that i ordered more than 2 weeks ago from PlanetAxel. I will never buy anything from them again!!
Now i've orderd the game from another shop in The Netherlands (where i live).

Now i'm sure i can play this fucking collection early next week. Man, waiting is really fucked up.

I'm kind of sad...I had the chance to get the MGS2+3 Premium box (JP) and MGSPW HD Konamistyle (JP) editions...how much will hese be worth down the line? I still do need

MGS1/2/3 Premium Boxes though, then I have almost all of them. Currently have all the United States LE stuff though, correct me if I'm missing anything:

MGS2 Document of MGS2
MGS3:S LE
MGS4 LE
MGSPW PSP Big Boss box (special camo PSP black box bundle)
MGSPW PSP LE
MGSHD Collection LE (PS3+360)

The Konamistyle ones aren't even that special, right? Just the normal Premium edition with an extra knick-knack or two SEPARATE from the main LE, right?

Dries

So is Snake Eater still as awesome as it was all those years ago?

How does the HD remake hold up graphically? How much did they remake? Are there any good comparison shots?

Also, PS3 or 360 version?

Ridley327

So is Snake Eater still as awesome as it was all those years ago?

How does the HD remake hold up graphically? How much did they remake? Are there any good comparison shots?

Also, PS3 or 360 version?

The only assets that got touched up were the HUD elements. Everything else is exactly as it was on the PS2, which is what makes it such an astonishing remaster, as it highlights just how great this game has always looked. It's a total revelation.

dvolovets

Alright, so I picked this up for $29.99 on Amazon, but I've never played an MGS game before. I don't have a PS3, but I do have a PS2 (and a Gamecube, if that helps). What do I do? Haha.

Alright, so I picked this up for $29.99 on Amazon, but I've never played an MGS game before. I don't have a PS3, but I do have a PS2 (and a Gamecube, if that helps). What do I do? Haha.

Definitely play MGS before diving into either 2 or 3. You'll be lost without doing so by the time the opening cutscene of MGS2 ends.

I think the PS version still holds up quite well, so I say give it a shot if you don't mind ordering it. Not sure how Twin Snakes is as I've never played it.

icespide

Banned
I've been really enjoying peace walker until now when I'm near the end. it's obvious I need to farm the older levels for prisoners in order to level up my rocket launchers to even touch the 2nd peace Waller battle. so boring

Sub_Level

Got myself into this hopeless situation today.

6408047407_17c9ffff18_b.jpg

The AI in MGS2 is predictable, but brutal. I jumped off the ledge to the south but there was a lone guard waiting for me on the eastern part of the area :\

Pre

^ On that topic... here is a really interesting writeup of MGS2 and how it related to MGS1. I'm sure many here have seen it, but many haven't. It's also by no means The Truth... but fascinating IMO.

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

This is excellent. I never realized how deeply MGS2 sought to replicate MGS1 and then twist it based on player expectations. I knew that it was going on... but not to that extent.

Sub_Level

Well...there was a way out...but it would be tough. Basically you need to jump over the rail and drop catch the one below. That would at least buy you some time...

Yea I did jump over the rail. It would've worked perfectly, they'd go into Evasion and I could hide under the box or in the lockers at the eastern side of the level, but there was a guard on that side. From where I was in that pic you don't need to drop-catch any rail, that catwalk doesn't protrude further out than the one below it :)

Finally beat Virtually Impossible. The MGS1 Snake missions are really something else, especially the Hold Up mode and Variety Level 1. It's all downhill from here, just the Tanker Dog Tags for me and some misc. trophies like grip level 3 and Sexting. Already did Snake Tales.

Finally beat Virtually Impossible. The MGS1 Snake missions are really something else, especially the Hold Up mode and Variety Level 1. It's all downhill from here, just the Tanker Dog Tags for me and some misc. trophies like grip level 3 and Sexting. Already did Snake Tales.

"Something else," as in "complete bullshit," I agree. :p

I can't fucking stand shit where to complete the level, you practically have to do everything with mathematical precision; you have no room for error; and you have to do it in a certain order. I don't don't fucking care if it's "challenging" or "difficult" -- it's not fun, it's not satisfying, and it's not rewarding when completed, just "Yeah, fuck you. Never playing that bullshit again."

Now I remember why I gameshark'd this shit on the PS2, it's about as fun as putting my nuts in a vice.

Rather frustrating I can't find a good PS3 deal. I'm own MGS1 on PlayStation, the Official complete guide for MGS, and MGS2: Substance (I think) and this collection fits me to a T. Just gotta keep looking, surprised PS3 hasn't received the deal the Xbox 360 version has.

Gah, these last gen no auto-save and can't pause gameplay mechanics..... WHAT!?

Why the goddamn hell did a conversation of which I had full control of the directional mic get skipped when I tried pausing? I wanted to double check if my memory of a trophy that required me to listen to Johnny take a shit was true. So all of that time circling the shell getting all of the new dog tags, lvl 2 goodies, and disguise hijinks on multiple levels of the shell 1 core were for naught because I quit after having skipped a key scene. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

So, I was ignoring this, since I hated MGS2 and have no urge al all to play MGS3...

Then I discovered that this has both MSX games! HOW COME I DIDN'T KNOW THAT?
Probably because I was ignoring it...
Well, now I have to buy it.

MG2:SS is, at least until MGS2, the perfect MG game. I really doubt Kojima can do anything better than that since he's senile now, but I guess I'll try MGS3 now and see for myself.

pahamrick

Rather frustrating I can't find a good PS3 deal. I'm own MGS1 on PlayStation, the Official complete guide for MGS, and MGS2: Substance (I think) and this collection fits me to a T. Just gotta keep looking, surprised PS3 hasn't received the deal the Xbox 360 version has.

K-Mart had pretty much the only deal on the PS3 version yesterday (34.99). For some reason, Amazon price matched the 360 version but I never saw them price match the PS3 version.

Rapstah

Watching the speed run of the strut chapter, that's not where I remember the bombs being at all. Does their position change depending on difficulty?

Holy cow that EE run on MGS2 is ridiculous. I haven't even cleared MGS2 on EE because I couldn't beat Fortune... MGS3 is 100 times easier in comparison, I used to do speedruns on that one.

Top Bottom