• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

icespide

Banned
just "finished" peace walker but apparently there's another chapter. I'm kinda burnt out on this game should I really do this finally chapter or is it pretty shallow? how tough is that final for real final boss fight?

Yen

just "finished" peace walker but apparently there's another chapter. I'm kinda burnt out on this game should I really do this finally chapter or is it pretty shallow? how tough is that final for real final boss fight?
The final chapter is terrible(storywise) and the final boss fight is the worst in the game. Read up the synopsis on wiki if you don't want to play on.
End spoilers:
Paz was working for Zero all along and she pilots the Metal Gear and you fight her with J-Pop in the background. Also, Paz is 25 and her real name is Pacifica Oceana

Blablurn

The final chapter is terrible(storywise) and the final boss fight is the worst in the game. Read up the synopsis on wiki if you don't want to play on.
End spoilers:
Paz was working for Zero all along and she pilots the Metal Gear and you fight her with J-Pop in the background. Also, Paz is 25 and her real name is Pacifica Oceana

u gotta be kidding me

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
End spoilers:

What ? I accidentally highlighted the spoiler. I might skip PW or wait a long time before playing it. Played through MGS2/MGS3/MGS4 last week for the first time. And while i liked it, the story was BANANAS, especially 4, i wish i had stopped the game before seeing the cutscenes after the credit.

Yen

What ? I might skip PW. Played through MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 last week for the first time. And while i liked it, the story was BANANAS, especially 4, i wish i had stopped the game before seeing the cutscenes after the credit.
Up until the final chapter, PW was, IMO, the best MG story and one of the best MG games.

micster

The final chapter is terrible(storywise) and the final boss fight is the worst in the game.

CqtFL.gif

Ridiculous, maybe. But it was awesome.

Kajiba

Got Mgs Hd for 360 for $21 on amazon with my promotional credits. Feels good man. Wish i did when it was $29.99. Would've been even more cheaper.

Dries

Is there anyway to pause the cut scenes in Snake Eater?

Also, didn't remember having so much camouflage patterns at the start of the game :eek:

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Up until the final chapter, PW was, IMO, the best MG story and one of the best MG games.

ur crazy son

Last part I can agree with though. I'd love to see more mission based metal gear on portables. Just without the grinding and personnel collecting. Best missions were the extra ops like perfect stealth.(SO much fun to co-op S Rank)

Some of the strategies there just blew my mind. Seriously what was up with the Fortune fight?

You're invincible when peeking out from cover like that.

Purely for the fact most of the game is just a straight forward "there's a MG, it's the Cold War blah blah"
There's also Emo Big Boss and other pointless fluff. So yeah I don't see how that would make it the best MGS story, not when the far more simpler and fun story of 3 is out there and the widely fascinating story of 2 exists.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
IMPORTANT: YOU DO NOT NEED ALL DOG TAGS TO GET THE "GREAT DANE" TROPHY/ACHIEVEMENT

I got it today after getting my last set of dog tags for the Plant. The description reads "Collect all Dog Tags" but in actuality it unlocks after getting the Blue Wig.

What does this mean? It means you don't have to bother with the tags for the Tanker on Hard and Extreme difficulties since you'll unlock both the Bandana and Stealth Suit by the time you finish Very Easy, Easy, and Normal. I'm glad I got all my Plant tags first saved me the trouble. What's even better is that I missed the Arsenal tag in my Normal playthrough, and I don't have to play through Plant one more time either. Awwww yyeeeaaa!

Sub_Level

Hm, what if I wanted to play through on Normal, Hard, and Extreme but not on Very Easy and Easy?

That'd work fine too. You get the trophies for the Tanker once you unlock the Bandana and Stealth Suit.

With the Plant you do have to play through a minimum of 5 times to get all 4 special items, however.

creid

IMPORTANT: YOU DO NOT NEED ALL DOG TAGS TO GET THE "GREAT DANE" TROPHY/ACHIEVEMENT

I got it today after getting my last set of dog tags for the Plant. The description reads "Collect all Dog Tags" but in actuality it unlocks after getting the Blue Wig.
What are the requirements for getting the Blue Wig now? From what I can tell, in the original you needed all of the dog tags to get it.

Sub_Level

What are the requirements for getting the Blue Wig now? From what I can tell, in the original you needed all of the dog tags to get it.

It's the same as before, I forget the exact number. You have to get almost all of the dog tags in the PLANT. You don't need every single tag (as I mentioned in my post, I missed one), but you do need to go through all 5 difficulties to get it. The number for the Blue Wig is somewhere in between 4 and 5 difficulties, close to 4.5.

With the TANKER, you only need to get all dog tags on 3 difficulties. The number for the Tanker Stealth Suit is somewhere in between 2 and 3 difficulties, but super close to 3.

jsnepo

Is there a way to permanently disable the sun glasses in MGS2 after finishing it? The glasses appear every other play through.

Ridley327

Protip: good idea to farm Extra Op 83 if you're looking for a lot of A-to-S-rank R&D soldiers. You'll still need to use Extra Op 49 for the special staff POWs, but it's by far the best way to boost your staff in that department.

Sub_Level

Hmm, still more dedication than I have. I'd do it, but playing Plant on Extreme... I don't know.

If you go in order, by the time you get to Extreme you'll be playing with the Brown Wig (infinite ammo) and stealth, so it's really not all that "extreme". Bluepoint made the Solidus chokehold on Extreme much, much easier too. The only thing you have to worry about is the Harrier, the 20 RAY Battle which is really just concentration, and the Tengus. I'll do a video on the Tengus eventually but you can find plenty strategies through google.

What everybody wanting an MGS2 platinum should be worried about is not dog tags or playing on Extreme, it's MGS1 Snake Mission mode. Think Call of Duty 4 Mile High Club on Veteran, except a bunch of missions with that caliber of frustration. If you thought the old Splinter Cell games were trial-and-error, you're in for a treat.

Good point about stealth suit and wig. I was mostly worried about the 20-RAY battle.

I'm definitely not crazy enough to try to platinum this. The dog tag trophy itself though could be fun and thus potentially worth doing, if you know what I mean.

Is there a way to permanently disable the sun glasses in MGS2 after finishing it? The glasses appear every other play through.

No, there isn't.

This is what I did back on the PS2: Once you're satisfied with everything you've unlocked (stealth/bandana/etc.); complete a playtrough with the glasses enabled; then, save the Endgame save in the 1st slot and load that whenever you want to play again. Saves for that playthrough can go in the 2nd slot and when beaten, load from slot 1 and save over slot 2.

No more glasses.

Dries

Did you pick "I like MGS3"? It gives you more camo.

Yeah, I did! I was really confused by the difficulty options, so I just picked that one. What do the other ones do?

Also, the instruction manuals are only in the start up menu's... Since you can't access them in-game, are they also online?

Ridley327

Yeah, I did! I was really confused by the difficulty options, so I just picked that one. What do the other ones do?

Also, the instruction manuals are only in the start up menu's... Since you can't access them in-game, are they also online?

I like MGS1: your stamina will drop slower
I like MGS2: Snake begins the game with the Raikov mask on, which leads to some extra dialogue and an extra scene when you land on the ground; very funny
I like MGS3: unlocks all of the additional camo added to MGS3:S, the cinema viewer in its entirety and the Extreme/Euro Extreme difficulties right away

Dries

I like MGS1: your stamina will drop slower
I like MGS2: Snake begins the game with the Raikov mask on, which leads to some extra dialogue and an extra scene when you land on the ground; very funny
I like MGS3: unlocks all of the additional camo added to MGS3:S, the cinema viewer in its entirety and the Extreme/Euro Extreme difficulties right away

Oh.. wow. Now I feel like I'm cheating with all that extra camo! I forget how it worked in the original. Did you unlock camo's or something?

Tizoc

Anyone got a link to a good speedrun of the Plant chapter of MGS2? I want it to be of the Normal difficulty if possible please.

Also where can I read about the 'messages' and concepts that the MGS games utilize in their story and gameplay/game flow.

In case you guys haven't seen this, Metal Gear Rex by 3A Toys:

rexy.jpg

2 years in the making; lights up; quality ABS plastic construction (think Soul of HCM Series, but HUGE!).
For preorder Jan 2012, price TBD (around $500) from www.bambalandstore.com
Possibly 2 colorways: game original and an Ashley Wood ver.

Rex is based on the MGS4 model. Also Ray is in the works.
Couple of shots of an early painted prototype (a lot has changed since then), but the paint job is a good indication of the quality and detail:
704970919qe3hkxl-550x.jpg

dsc03851e.jpg

I cant remember but MGS1 snake hold up mode how the heck are you supposed to hold them up when the button isnt touch sensitive? I am on 360.

Sub_Level

Fuck yea I'm an MGS2 master.

6421475273_79f1b079ff.jpg

A few clarifications on trophies/achievements:

- For Rent Money, you can beat up the same soldier 30 times, it doesn't have to be 30 different people. Just wake them up with coolant and pound them again. The choking and tranquilize trophies are similar, but you'll get those naturally in Mission Mode.

- For Complete Stealth, you're allowed to use special items and play on Very Easy.

- As I posted earlier, for Great Dane, you don't actually have to get all the dog tags. It unlocks after getting the Blue Wig.

Now it's time for me to go into the jungles of Tselinoyarsk.

Top Bottom