• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

micster

Think I'm gonna cancel my order at Zavvi, that horrible POS steelbook has no place in my collection... However, is this the only place we can get the artbook in the UK? I'm so torn. And a platinum copy of MGS4, are they fucking serious?

It's gone from uber limited edition to shitty steelbook version with a platinum copy of MGS4 thrown in. Fuck Zavvi.

It was always a steelbook.

LiK

That is how I understand this.

Zavvi lost the exclusivity rights, I assume the printed amount is now a lot higher and to compensate, Zavvi is throwing in the Platinum copy of MGS4.
You sure about this? I'm close to canceling if that's the case.

Zafir

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I can't find it on any other sites yet. Both the PS3 and the newly added 360 version of the Ultimate Edition are out of stock on Zavvi, too.

Quick noob questions.

1) Are these games in widescreen?

2) Are the achievements and trophies easily attainable?

3) Any known issues with the 360 vs PS3?

4) Why the hell haven't we gotten a special edition of MGS4 yet?

pahamrick

Quick noob questions.

1) Yep, full widescreen with widescreen or super-widescreen for cinematics. Regular widescreen is essentially how the cinematics were in the PS2 versions but without the black bars. Super-widescreen gives you a wider view than the original cinematics and brings back the black bars.

2) The achievements/trophies are fairly easy, but it's a YMMV deal considering the collect-a-thon for dog tag achievements/trophies and the beat all VR mission ones in MGS2. I think if you're a MGS vet you should be able to get them all easily enough but if you're a newcomer expect to work hard to get some of them.

3) Only major differences I know of between the PS3 and 360 versions is the control differences due to the 360 not having pressure sensitive buttons and that PS3 has 3 full platinum's while 360 only has 2000 total achievements (1000 shared between MGS2 and MGS3 and a full 1000 for Peacewalker)

4) Kojima hates us. (Seriously, wish I knew considering there still isn't a trophy patch.)

suikodan

4) Kojima hates us. (Seriously, wish I knew considering there still isn't a trophy patch.)

What makes me sad is the fact that I want to play MGS4 sont bad after playing the HD games but I am stopped by the constant installations.

Make a patch where we can dump all the data on the HD (I guess it would fit on most PS3 HDD) and then I'd play more of it!

LiK

MGS4 with no chapter installs and trophies seems like a rerelease that is ripe during a MGS5 announcement.

Carnby

I guess the people who already bought the Zavvi version on eBay for insane prices are gonna be pissed:

Completed listings for MGS HD Ultimate Collection

I think I'll cancel my pre-order. I already got the US version, and the cover art for the steelbook is HIDEOus.

They can easily get their money back. eBay always sides with the buyer. Anyone can make a strong case for a refund since the Ultimate HD version as advertised is never going to be released.

If anyone is going to be mad, it will be the sellers.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So how did this collection turn out? What do you guys think of it?

My brother gave me his copy of the MGS collection for the PS2, but I don't have a PS1 memory card for MGS1. Haven't played any games in the series before, and while I could play the PS2 versions, I kind of want to pick this collection up instead.

Roto13

My brother gave me his copy of the MGS collection for the PS2, but I don't have a PS1 memory card for MGS1. Haven't played any games in the series before, and while I could play the PS2 versions, I kind of want to pick this collection up instead.

It's pretty great. MGS1 isn't included, though.

What makes me sad is the fact that I want to play MGS4 sont bad after playing the HD games but I am stopped by the constant installations.

They aren't even bad. They take like 2 minutes to instal. Is two mins of waiting really too much?

I've always found the "installing" complaint to be very overblown.

Oh no I defended MGS4.

It's great. The games look great and run great. I find most of the complaints about missing effects to be pretty dumb. They really don't effect the game at all.

rvy

Banned
They aren't even bad. They take like 2 minutes to instal. Is two mins of waiting really too much?

I've always found the "installing" complaint to be very overblown.

Oh no I defended MGS4.

But it's not. It's as bad as having to press start every time you change the level stage. One would have figured that having the game install after every act would actually make it better in some capacity, it doesn't. Not to mention they don't even allow for a full install.

Trophies? lawl.

pahamrick

The only time the installs sucked for me was when I was doing a quick run for the Camo and Bandanna. Act 3: Install, Skip Cinematics, Gameplay Section, Skip Cinematics, Gameplay Section, Skip Cinematics, Install for Act 4.

Otherwise, they didn't really bug me. Perfect time for a break to get a drink or something.

But it's not. It's as bad as having to press start every time you change the level stage.
No it isn't. The chapters in MGS4 are longer then individual levels you see in most games. It's not like say having to instal each chapter in DMC4. No its more like having to instal each chapter of RE4 and I wouldn't have a problem having to instal the island chapter or the village chapter. I can take a two min break after playing the game for an hour or two.

I guess it's a problem if you have you saves set-up to play individual chapters, but I've never played an MGS game like that. It's always from beginning to end.

One would have figured that having the game install after every act would actually make it better in some capacity, it doesn't.
Well we don't know what the game plays like without being installed so I don't think this can count against it.

Not to mention they don't even allow for a full install.
Sure it's a problem, but not a huge one. Not one that would stop me playing the game, because waiting two mins isn't a big deal.

Trophies? lawl.
Trophies are pointless imo.

rvy

Banned
Trophies are pointless imo.
Millions of idiots wasting their time with something pointless. The Human race is doomed.

Also, no, it's not 3 minutes. It's actually 13 minutes for me, taking into account which acts I need to install when I want to play. Not to mention the inconvenience of it all when you're doing a "something-something Big Boss EX, speed, Camo, Bandana" run. You'll be blazing through those acts, so the amount of content that you get from each act is severely diminished, if one can actually count cutscenes as content in this case, making the installation process ridiculous.

It's cool though, people play in different ways. If you like it how it is, that's fine. I don't.

Roto13

Trophies are awesome when they're done right, like they are in this collection. Take a picture of a marine in his underwear, send it to Otacon, and get a "Sexting" trophy? Hell yes. I'd love to have trophies like that in MGS 4.

anddo0

I got an arrow stuck in my chest. It's been there since my fight with The Fear.

Any clue on how to get it out? I've tried changing outfits, getting shot and healing.. Nothing.

pahamrick

Any clue on how to get it out? I've tried changing outfits, getting shot and healing.. Nothing.

Happened to me and from what I've read it's a glitch or bug. If you don't take the arrows out before the end of the fight you'll be stuck with them as you automatically get healed when the fight ends so you no longer have the ability to remove them.

ScOULaris

Um, the same way you heal all other wounds in the game? Start > Cure > Remove the Bolt.

Digishine

Banned
gonna cancel my zavvii pre-order. I was hoping for new MGS 4 version but not that platinium bullshit gonna order now the US version fuck this waiting.

For those collecting dog tags how are you getting the 2 in strut A deep sea dock? in easy difficulty the M9 isn't available there and when I go to the warehouse to get it the elevator is gone cutting off my access. Ive tried going back after several plot points but still no access.

Question: I played the crap out of Peace Walker on PSP. Are there any disadvantages to importing my save? I assume I won't get trophies on the playthrough?

Replicant

Trophies are awesome when they're done right, like they are in this collection. Take a picture of a marine in his underwear, send it to Otacon, and get a "Sexting" trophy? Hell yes. I'd love to have trophies like that in MGS 4.
Is that true? If it is, AHAHAHAHAHAHA KojiTroll indeed.

Quick noob questions.

I'm going with a straight-up NO on (2). I mean, some are, obviously. But Platinum would be a real bitch at least on MGS2. Fairly time-consuming (most dog tags) and have to beat some truly bullshit VR missions.

Cartman86

Banned
Question: I played the crap out of Peace Walker on PSP. Are there any disadvantages to importing my save? I assume I won't get trophies on the playthrough?
Yeah no trophies.

Is that true? If it is, AHAHAHAHAHAHA KojiTroll indeed.
Some of those trophies for MGS2 and 3 are so specific to english phrases and memes I doubt Kojima/Konami JPN had anything to do with them. Just look at the Peace Walker trophies to see the difference. Peace Walker ones are all in caps (like most Japanese games) and don't contain the funny ones.

Roto13

Some favourites:

MGS2:

To Catch a Predator: Lure a guard with a girlie magazine.

Sexting: Send Otacon a picture of the marine with no pants.

Don't Taze Me, Bro: Tranquilize 100 enemies.

Snake Beater: Get caught by Otacon stimulating yourself.

Who Ya Gonna Call: Take a clear photograph of the ghost image in Hold No. 2

MGS3:

Don't Touch The Sides: Use a knife to remove a bullet.

Ralph Called: Make Snake throw up.

Snake Eater: Eat a snake of any type.

I Can Totally See You: Achieve a camouflage index of +90%.

Problem Solved, Series Over: Create the Ocelot Time Paradox (kill him)

Peace Walker only has a few fun trophies:

You're pretty good: Shot enemy right in the middle of the rear end.

I feel... safe: Waring a cardboard box gives you that feeling of inner peace.

Just finished Peace Walker. I finished all of the main-ops solo, and they weren't hard. I guess it's the extra ops that you need the co op partners for.

The story was okay, better than 2 and 4. I prefer the Big Boss games over the Solid Snake ones. I hated the animated cut scenes. I find all cutscenes made of stills boring though.

Thanks to Yuripaw here i finally got my Limited Edition in the mail :D

Time to get cracking on these missions!

Just finished Peace Walker. I finished all of the main-ops solo, and they weren't hard. I guess it's the extra ops that you need the co op partners for.

Did you finish it by doing the Zadornov search missions and then?

Yeah I really like the names of the MGS2/3 trophies. Really funny.

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I thought some of those were pretty funny and a nice reference to the nerd culture with the use of memes.

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I thought some of those were pretty funny and a nice reference to the nerd culture with the use of memes.
Why would I not be serious? I have no interest in collecting them as Trophies and the like don't interests me, but I appreciate the effort in the humor put in them.

No. I quit after Chapter 4. I know there is a whole other part of the game, but I was satisfied with the ending, and i have a ton of other backlog games to get to. Is it worth playing the extras stuff?

definitely yes! there are still twists to come with the plot and the true final battle.

pahamrick

For anyone who had missing effects, were you playing in super-widescreen/letterbox for the cinematics?

For my first run of the game I kept the cinematics widescreen and didn't have any missing effects (Rope was there, bugs were there, ect)

Just started my second run, moved the cinematics to letterbox and now I'm having the missing effects problem. So far both the rope and bugs during the Fortune cinematic were missing.

ScOULaris

For anyone who had missing effects, were you playing in super-widescreen/letterbox for the cinematics?

For my first run of the game I kept the cinematics widescreen and didn't have any missing effects (Rope was there, bugs were there, ect)

Just started my second run, moved the cinematics to letterbox and now I'm having the missing effects problem. So far both the rope and bugs during the Fortune cinematic were missing.
Nope. I was playing with the standard widescreen setting, and I had the missing rope in MGS2 and invisible rain in MGS3. At this point, I just think it happens randomly.

Millions of idiots wasting their time with something pointless. The Human race is doomed.

Also, no, it's not 3 minutes. It's actually 13 minutes for me, taking into account which acts I need to install when I want to play. Not to mention the inconvenience of it all when you're doing a "something-something Big Boss EX, speed, Camo, Bandana" run. You'll be blazing through those acts, so the amount of content that you get from each act is severely diminished, if one can actually count cutscenes as content in this case, making the installation process ridiculous.

It's cool though, people play in different ways. If you like it how it is, that's fine. I don't.

Remember, the same can be easily same about gaming in general. Also, we were doomed long time ago.

pahamrick

Nope. I was playing with the standard widescreen setting, and I had the missing rope in MGS2 and invisible rain in MGS3. At this point, I just think it happens randomly.

Weird, hope they fix it with a patch or something. It's nothing major, but it's a bit off to have the fortune scene and hear the bugs but not see them.

mattp

yeah i had the cinemascope mode off and i had the no bugs in mgs2 bug :\
kind of a bummer but oh well, overall these games came out so good

besides the volgin lightning DESTROYING snake eater's framerate
not sure how that was never fixed haha

edit: heh, the no bugs bug

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
definitely yes! there are still twists to come with the plot and the true final battle.

I'm well beyond having finished all the Zadornov stuff, but I can't get head parts to finish Zeke. I get S-ranks on Custom AI battles with co-op people(whom don't hit the head) and jack shit ever drops.

Really enjoyed the game up to this point, but this grind is pure bullshit. Especially since I had well beyond enough of every piece of Zeke long before this missing head business. Reached the point now that I can't even look at the game anymore, it's pissed me off that much.

Shinjiru

I agree. I am playing with whatever setting the game defaults to. I haven't reached Fortune yet, but the rope was there while Pliskin's cigarette was missing.

Edit: No sea lice when I reached Fortune tonight.

anddo0

And the credits roll.. On to Peace Walker
350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

I didn't get the "peace walker" trophy for whatever reason. I swear I didn't kill a soul. :(

edit: It says ONE HUMAN KILLED!!!!! :/

Top Bottom