• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

So I finally bought the collection, but I have a quick question: I know year wise they are ordered MGS3 > MGS5:pW > MGS2 but is this the order I should play them in? I've only beaten MGS2 and that was at launch, I don't remember a thing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So I finally bought the collection, but I have a quick question: I know year wise they are ordered MGS3 > MGS5:pW > MGS2 but is this the order I should play them in? I've only beaten MGS2 and that was at launch, I don't remember a thing.

play them in release order.

Zafir

If anyone missed it when it was up the first time, Zavvi have now opened pre-orders again for the updated Ultimate Edition for both PS3 and 360.

So how do you get parts for your Metal Gear Zeke in Peace Walker? Assume you have to fight the unmanned units several times to grind up parts for it or you can get parts for it elsewhere?

Also have no idea what goes on when, playing coop one person jumps into the AI Core? What are you supposed to do then? They make mention of disabling parts but don't seem to notice anything falling off before the mission ends

lancerotomy

Neo Member
So how do you get parts for your Metal Gear Zeke in Peace Walker? Assume you have to fight the unmanned units several times to grind up parts for it or you can get parts for it elsewhere?[/QUOTE

you have to finish the battle with the desired part completely intact. i.e if you want a head piece, don't damage the head. if you want armor/jetpack/radome, don't attack it. if your intel is high enough, a section of your pause menu should show the health percentage of the ai unit.

Also have no idea what goes on when, playing coop one person jumps into the AI Core? What are you supposed to do then? They make mention of disabling parts but don't seem to notice anything falling off before the mission ends

one person pulls ai boards, the others fight for around a minute. not sure if you can dislodge more during this event, tho.

Daigoro

You shouldn't have any difficulties finding people to help you. I have been playing for a while on the HD edition and wanted some help for a boss (Chrysalis) and help has been plentiful.

Or if you need help, add me on PSN (Suikodan).

im on 360. thanks though.

Does Volgin's electricity also destroy the 360's framerate?

nope. there was no point in the game were the frame rate was destroyed for me. it might have taken a hit here and there, but it was pretty solid throughout. i dont remember any serious issues at Volgin either.

i also havent seen any of the graphical glitches people have been mentioning while playing through MGS 2 or 3. dunno if its PS3 only or not, but i didnt notice anything missing duing my playthroughs on 360.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Metal Gear was sooo bad.

- You have to open each door with the specific key card. There's 8 key cards. All doors look the same. If you have a level 2 card but it's a level 1 door you need to go into your inventory and use a level 1 card.

- A lot of the areas require you to punch walls to find which ones are hollow. In Metal Gear Solid the walls you had to blow up with C4 were painted a different color. There are NO such hints here.

- In a couple of instances you're required to use your codec in very specific locations. There is no way to guess this in any sane amount of time. A strategy guide is pretty much required for this game.

- All challenge in the game is essentially null and void. Even on original difficulty you can enter a room, get a ration, exit the room, re-enter, and the ration will be there again. Rinse and repeat. It's just very tedious as a game because of the maze structure of every level.

- I had to redo maybe half an hour of progress because I didn't save before the Metal Gear fight and I didn't have enough C4. There is NO ammo for you in the room where you fight Metal Gear and you can't backtrack without loading a save.

Beyond that, the stealth gameplay was solid. It was definitely fun to use a cardboard box to hide from cameras or use an RC missile to destroy an electric floor powerbox, but it has some fucking terrible design choices. Play it if you're bored, you can beat it in a few hours.

Roto13

I'm considering finally playing MG 1 and 2 for completion's sake. After those, the only canon game I won't have finished is Portable Ops.

I have Subsistence on PS2 but I never bothered to play MEtal Gear 1 and 2 on it.

RedSwirl

they can spot you,but you have to fulton every soldier and capture the vehicle,though it's highly likely that if they see you the tank will kill one or more of them on accident

i would wait for that until you have the fulton launcher and the mines,the bandana helps too (has no affect on the rank)

I hated trying to stealth the vehicle fights. I was led to believe that if I get seen even once I have to fully take down the vehicle (or at least damage it a lot until the captain comes out). Is that correct?

I hated trying to stealth the vehicle fights. I was led to believe that if I get seen even once I have to fully take down the vehicle (or at least damage it a lot until the captain comes out). Is that correct?

If you get spotted you have to Fulton all the soldiers and the boss will poke his head out. Except with the helicopters; just hold up the first four guys, damage the heli enough with rockets or shoot the cockpit with the Anti-Tank Sniper Rifle until the boss comes out.

suikodan

Metal Gear was sooo bad.

- You have to open each door with the specific key card. There's 8 key cards. All doors look the same. If you have a level 2 card but it's a level 1 door you need to go into your inventory and use a level 1 card.

- A lot of the areas require you to punch walls to find which ones are hollow. In Metal Gear Solid the walls you had to blow up with C4 were painted a different color. There are NO such hints here.

- In a couple of instances you're required to use your codec in very specific locations. There is no way to guess this in any sane amount of time. A strategy guide is pretty much required for this game.

- All challenge in the game is essentially null and void. Even on original difficulty you can enter a room, get a ration, exit the room, re-enter, and the ration will be there again. Rinse and repeat. It's just very tedious as a game because of the maze structure of every level.

- I had to redo maybe half an hour of progress because I didn't save before the Metal Gear fight and I didn't have enough C4. There is NO ammo for you in the room where you fight Metal Gear and you can't backtrack without loading a save.

Beyond that, the stealth gameplay was solid. It was definitely fun to use a cardboard box to hide from cameras or use an RC missile to destroy an electric floor powerbox, but it has some fucking terrible design choices. Play it if you're bored, you can beat it in a few hours.

I did play and finish MG when MGS3 came out on PS2 and honestly, I liked the NES version more than this one.

I did play and finish MG when MGS3 came out on PS2 and honestly, I liked the NES version more than this one.

Wow, odd. The NES version of MG pretty much takes all the wrong from MG and made them worse, with even more randomness in the game design causing lot of trial and error type of play. It had all the same flaws as the original version, and added new ones.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Potentially silly question: Is there a way to buy the limited edition art book digitally? I'm not at all interested in the book itself but I'd love to have it on my iPad.

pahamrick

Finally managed to unlock the Stealth Camo, did the mission in 2:37 on my third try after thinking what the easiest way to do it would be. Makes the Tank/APC/Chopper battles sooo much easier. Good thing I'm not worried about trying to S rank them unless the S rank unlocks something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Picked this up today. I still have both of the PS2 games, but it's great that they don't look like shit on my HDTV now. Even though I've played it about a dozen times, I'm starting with MGS2 first. It feels good to be sneaking around the plant and snapping necks again.

What's this about this about not needing all the Dog Tags for "Great Dane"?

Just need to get all of them on the Big Shell with Raiden, then?

sephi22

After finishing the game, I played MGS4 as well and then got so heart broken that I finally decided to pour it all on a videogame remix:

'Innocent Deception':

Hope you guys enjoy it! Those incredible vocals are provided by Claire Yaxley.

HOREE SHIIIT!

I'm glad I entered this thread today.

pahamrick

Didn't see if it was mentioned, but here's another bug to add to the HD collection list.

The Shaver in MGS2 doesn't do anything. Got to the end of the plant, and Snake was still a scruffy looking nerf herder.

lancerotomy

Neo Member
alright, so i finally got this. i'm still a little confused about the transfarring for peace walker. i'm just going to play 2-3 on my buddy's ps3 since mine is kaput atm, but i understand peace walker binds to individual hd? is it just as far as trophies are concerned, or what?

Roto13

Did
Zadornov Search Mission 6
and all Extra Ops that aren't boss battles. Guess I'm done. It's too bad those tanks and stuff have too much health to be worth battling. And too bad I never unlocked the Date with Kaz mission. :p

Just got done finishing snake eater. I've lost count how many times I've beaten this game but the ending still gets to me everytime. Truly a masterpiece and damnit the soundtrack is still so perfect.

Revoh

After finishing the game, I played MGS4 as well and then got so heart broken that I finally decided to pour it all on a videogame remix:

'Innocent Deception':

Hope you guys enjoy it! Those incredible vocals are provided by Claire Yaxley.

I love you, man

Roto13

I know I said I was finished with Peace Walker, but last night I tried co-oping some of those boss battle missions anyway. The first guy I got matched with was great. I didn't have to support him at all. We took out the tank in no time.

The second time I got matched with someone terrible. He kept dying, expecting me to run out in front of a tank cannon to perform CPR on him. I ended up just quitting that one.

Third guy was slightly less useless. He at least had the good sense to get gunned down behind cover so I had a chance to revive him. He was basically just there to eat all of my food. I think he must have run out of ammo and didn't bring any supply markers, because he eventually figured out his role as a distraction and drew enough fire for me to get some shots in and do some damage. But then he got knocked out in the middle of the battlefield again so I just left him there. Managed to capture the tank after like half an hour. Ugh.

I don't want this game to be over, but I really hate these stupid boss battles that are getting between me and my proper stealth missions.

I know I said I was finished with Peace Walker, but last night I tried co-oping some of those boss battle missions anyway. The first guy I got matched with was great. I didn't have to support him at all. We took out the tank in no time.

The second time I got matched with someone terrible. He kept dying, expecting me to run out in front of a tank cannon to perform CPR on him. I ended up just quitting that one.

Third guy was slightly less useless. He at least had the good sense to get gunned down behind cover so I had a chance to revive him. He was basically just there to eat all of my food. I think he must have run out of ammo and didn't bring any supply markers, because he eventually figured out his role as a distraction and drew enough fire for me to get some shots in and do some damage. But then he got knocked out in the middle of the battlefield again so I just left him there. Managed to capture the tank after like half an hour. Ugh.

I don't want this game to be over, but I really hate these stupid boss battles that are getting between me and my proper stealth missions.

I don't understand. I was able to stealth-beat all the bosses by myself (and get all the rare drops) in the PSP version. Did they make the HD one harder?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah I think I'm good.

So glad I don't have to beat the game on Extreme and some of those tags in the Tanker Holds are ridiculously difficult.

Phew.

You do have to beat the game on Extreme, but just the Plant. You'll need like half of all Plant tags if you do that difficulty last to get the Blue Wig.

Top Bottom