• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

PooBone

Wasn't the biggest fan of MGS2 (except the ending... GAWD!!!!) but I loved 3 and still have it. I haven't played Peacewalker and haven't been that interested for a few reasons, but I'll admit I don't know much about it so I figured I'd ask.

1. Is the game meant to be played multiplayer? I doubt I'd be able to find buddies to play this with me and I'm more interested in a single player experience.

2. Is it a structured narrative ala MGS1, 2, 3, and 4?

3. Is it really different than the past MGS games? It seems like a totally different game with an MGS3 skin and not much emphasis on story.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Roto13

Wasn't the biggest fan of MGS2 (except the ending... GAWD!!!!) but I loved 3 and still have it. I haven't played Peacewalker and haven't been that interested for a few reasons, but I'll admit I don't know much about it so I figured I'd ask.

1. Is the game meant to be played multiplayer? I doubt I'd be able to find buddies to play this with me and I'm more interested in a single player experience.

2. Is it a structured narrative ala MGS1, 2, 3, and 4?

3. Is it really different than the past MGS games? It seems like a totally different game with an MGS3 skin and not much emphasis on story.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

1. The amount of health some of the later bosses have is ridiculous and they were definitely meant to be fought with multiple people, but there's really only one boss in the main story that takes an obscene amount of time to fight alone. (It's doable, it just takes a really long time.) There's online play so you can just hookup with a random person to help you out if you want. The fact that you can only carry two guns at a time and not nearly enough ammo to take out a boss supports that it was designed for multiple players. (There's an item you can use to call in for extra ammo when you run out, so bosses are still possible in single player if you're prepared.) The non-boss missions are all fine in single player mode, though. In fact I'd go so far as to say those are probably more difficult with multiple players.

2. Yeah, though you'll spend much less time in cutscenes and codec conversations than you did in those games. The story won't have as big an impact as the ones in the numbered games, but it's an interesting side story that brings some insight into the events surrounding The Boss before and after MGS 3. There are main story missions and a ton of "Extra Ops."

3. It basically plays like a mix of MGS 3 and MGS 4 with more, shorter missions. (It was designed to be played on the go, after all.) It also lets your recruit soldiers to perform various tasks in your home base and develop weapons and equipment for you. It's pretty cool.

3. It basically plays like a mix of MGS 3 and MGS 4 with more, shorter missions. (It was designed to be played on the go, after all.) It also lets your recruit soldiers to perform various tasks in your home base and develop weapons and equipment for you. It's pretty cool.

I agree, but I also think it cheapens a lot of what made MGS3. Namely, The Boss.

steveovig

I've been trying to play through MGS3 on the PS3 and I've been having some problems. Namely, at various codec convos the picture of who is talking will go blank and the dialogue will completely stop. I try to let it load up but nothing happens until I press the circle button which cancels the audio and fastens the captions to where I miss stuff. Then, when it's all done it goes to a green screen with a huge loading time until I finally get to play again. Is this normal or is my game defective or something? I didn't have any problems playing through MGS2 but this is giving me trouble.

Just found these on the official site, they are pretty cool.

4f687dd2d997e0aacc4975a5771a51cbe4bc2ddb.jpg

0b999c547f331a78727df2b6e988a0ff36890e32.jpg

7f6b55359a7fb187b0ebdf4480692a850bee11dd.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm bummed these don't run at 1080p (at least reading the OP?), how's the IQ? Is there some kind of AA?

How do you play CQC with the missing (iirc) pressure sensitve buttons on the DS3 (chocking and such)?
Is crouch-walking in MGS3 like for Snake Eater 3DS?

Just finished MGS2 HD---first replay since beating 4 all those years ago. Liquid Snake didn't bother me too much in MGS2, but this time through it seemed terrible, mostly because of the excuse they gave for it all in MGS4. Solidus was still awesome as shit. However, the sound seemed mixed poorly (and yes, I had sound settings all set-up right) AND the motion blur drove me crazy more than normal.

Also, I'm trying to find those wallpapers above. Anyone got a link?

Roto13

Liquid Snake is just irritating in general. I'm glad the English version of MGS 4 used Ocelot's VA for Liquid Ocelot. The Japanese version used Liquid Snake's.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
My love for Liquid as a character has waned over the years, while Solidus's appeal has increased exponentially.

Not sure why that is. The guy barely had any screen time, but his attitude and ambitions left quite an impression on me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm bummed these don't run at 1080p (at least reading the OP?), how's the IQ? Is there some kind of AA?

Yeah, I'm also bummed that they aren't in 1080p. The consoles are capable of outputting it, and many HDTV's display it, so it sucks that the "definitive" versions of these games aren't quite as cutting edge as they could be. I don't know about MGS3, but MGS2 doesn't appear to have any AA at all, the jaggies are pretty bad. They're certainly an improvement, but they could be a lot better. I guess that leaves a few things to improve in the re-re-releases on next gen consoles.

Still, MGS2 is as awesome as ever and I really like Peace Walker so far. I'm saving MGS3 for last but I'm sure it will be glorious in 60FPS. The lack of 1080p and proper AA have me pining for a PC port (which will never happen, obviously), but I'm happy to have these games on my PS3 regardless.

Roto13

Yeah, I'm also bummed that they aren't in 1080p. The consoles are capable of outputting it, and many HDTV's display it, so it sucks that the "definitive" versions of these games aren't quite as cutting edge as they could be. I don't know about MGS3, but MGS2 doesn't appear to have any AA at all, the jaggies are pretty bad. They're certainly an improvement, but they could be a lot better. I guess that leaves a few things to improve in the re-re-releases on next gen consoles.

Still, MGS2 is as awesome as ever and I really like Peace Walker so far. I'm saving MGS3 for last but I'm sure it will be glorious in 60FPS. The lack of 1080p and proper AA have me pining for a PC port (which will never happen, obviously), but I'm happy to have these games on my PS3 regardless.

Graphically, MGS3 definitely gains the most in this collection. That game was too pretty for the PS2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Graphically, MGS3 definitely gains the most in this collection. That game was too pretty for the PS2.

Good to hear. MGS2 isn't quite as drastic since it already ran at 60fps, but I imagine that it'll make a huge difference with MGS3. I want to play it now but I need to finish the others first lol.

Ridley327

Good to hear. MGS2 isn't quite as drastic since it already ran at 60fps, but I imagine that it'll make a huge difference with MGS3. I want to play it now but I need to finish the others first lol.

It's not just the framerate, although that helps a great deal. Seeing the game in HD and in pristine image quality does a greater service to what they actually accomplished on the PS2 than playing it on a PS2. It absolutely blows my mind that they pulled something like this game off while games that came out a year later like Killzone or SotC struggled desperately and don't look nearly as good.

Daigoro

MGS2 came out great as well, except for the excessive motion blur during the cutscenes. it looks bad, probably worse on LCD maybe? i wish they removed it alltogether.

but during non-cutscene portions of the game it looks and plays great.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dumb Peace Walker question: are there any other CQC takedowns aside from the slam? Seems like there should be a way to snap necks or choke 'em out but I can't seem to figure it out.

how the hell do you hold people up? i havent been able to make that work yet. maybe its just me.

(MGS2) Come up behind them not-loudly (don't sprint). Whip out the fun in first-person view and point at them. Snake/Raiden will say, "Freeze!". Guy will raise his hands. Carefully release square (gradually... if you just let go of the button, you'll shoot him). Now quickly run around to his front and point the gun at him again. He'll drop the dog tag. Point some more and he'll drop more stuff. Some guards may be defiant... in which case you need to point a bigger/more lethal weapon.

(MGS3) Same deal, IIRC (but no dog tags).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's kind of weird that I still instinctively use X and O in reverse when navigating the menus or codex in MGS2, it's messing me up. Shit is imprinted in my brain.

Anyways, just killed Fat Man, one of the more fun boss fights in the series, this game is so great.

Daigoro

(MGS2) Come up behind them not-loudly (don't sprint). Whip out the fun in first-person view and point at them. Snake/Raiden will say, "Freeze!". Guy will raise his hands. Carefully release square (gradually... if you just let go of the button, you'll shoot him). Now quickly run around to his front and point the gun at him again. He'll drop the dog tag. Point some more and he'll drop more stuff. Some guards may be defiant... in which case you need to point a bigger/more lethal weapon.

(MGS3) Same deal, IIRC (but no dog tags).

thanks. i was talking about Peace Walker though. MGS2 and 3 are easy, but i havent been able to get it done in PW. maybe im using the wrong weapon, or im just not close enough.

thanks. i was talking about Peace Walker though. MGS2 and 3 are easy, but i havent been able to get it done in PW. maybe im using the wrong weapon, or im just not close enough.

Lightly press the left stick to walk slowly (standing or crouched) and aim at the enemy once you get close. I have found that once you see the cqc icon, you're close enough for a hold-up. If an enemy spots you just as you were about to perform a hold-up, cqc slam him and aim while he's on the ground. It should work as long as you act quickly before alert mode is initiated.

I just got to the MGS1 Snake VR Missions.... WOW. I had no idea they would be so different, and NO SOLITON RADAR EITHER. SO hard. Love the music, though. I've come this far, I'm not stopping now, I will complete these missions!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's the easiest in PW as long as you're wearing the stealth suit

just run up behind them and aim at their backs and they're incapacitated for the rest of the mission as long as you don't hit them or trigger alert status

It's kinda why Co-Op isn't alot of fun for the sneaking missions. I ran through with my friend and most of the game was just me running through stages holding everyone up as he followed lol.

goonergaz

I want to play this though from the start - I wondered (and sorry if it's been asked, tried trawling through but not seen it mentioned) - MGS or Twin Snakes on the GC?

I just got to the MGS1 Snake VR Missions.... WOW. I had no idea they would be so different, and NO SOLITON RADAR EITHER. SO hard. Love the music, though. I've come this far, I'm not stopping now, I will complete these missions!

The Dog Tags I will get but whenever I think about those VR missions I want to punch the game for including them.

My love for Liquid as a character has waned over the years, while Solidus's appeal has increased exponentially.

Not sure why that is. The guy barely had any screen time, but his attitude and ambitions left quite an impression on me.

He was good guy in a sense that he was fighting the Patriot AIs. Still, what I don't get is why Raiden had to fight Solidus. It didn't make sense.

Roto13

MGS 2 doesn't gain as much because it mostly takes place indoors with clean flat surfaces.

Desmond

How do you play CQC with the missing (iirc) pressure sensitve buttons on the DS3 (chocking and such)?
Is crouch-walking in MGS3 like for Snake Eater 3DS?

DS3 has pressure sensitive buttons. 360 doesn't

No crouch walk in 2 or 3

I want to play this though from the start - I wondered (and sorry if it's been asked, tried trawling through but not seen it mentioned) - MGS or Twin Snakes on the GC?

MGS1 on PSN if you can

FFS, MGS1 Snake Variety level 01... I don't know if I'll ever be able to do this...

Catherine was an easier Plat than this game!

EDIT: AHHHHHHHHHFGH I JUST GOT 29/31

EDIT 2: After 30 something tries. I did it. YAY

EDIT 3: Now getting owned in ZAKO survival :(

Daigoro

Lightly press the left stick to walk slowly (standing or crouched) and aim at the enemy once you get close. I have found that once you see the cqc icon, you're close enough for a hold-up. If an enemy spots you just as you were about to perform a hold-up, cqc slam him and aim while he's on the ground. It should work as long as you act quickly before alert mode is initiated.

gotcha thanks.

It's the easiest in PW as long as you're wearing the stealth suit

just run up behind them and aim at their backs and they're incapacitated for the rest of the mission as long as you don't hit them or trigger alert status

It's kinda why Co-Op isn't alot of fun for the sneaking missions. I ran through with my friend and most of the game was just me running through stages holding everyone up as he followed lol.

yeah ive probably been just too noisy (dont have stealth yet) or i have gotten spotted before i get close enough. need to find that stealth suit one of these days. i havent gotten too far in the game yet though.

thanks guys.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
gotcha thanks.

yeah ive probably been just too noisy (dont have stealth yet) or i have gotten spotted before i get close enough. need to find that stealth suit one of these days. i havent gotten too far in the game yet though.

thanks guys.

You get it as apart of the main ops

game is cake from then on

Ridley327

Are the games going to be available as a download? I only want to get Peace Walker HD.

There hasn't been any word on them yet outside of Japan; the Japanese PSN already has all three games available and the official website lists the 360 version as coming in 2012.

FFS, MGS1 Snake Variety level 01... I don't know if I'll ever be able to do this...

Catherine was an easier Plat than this game!

EDIT: AHHHHHHHHHFGH I JUST GOT 29/31

EDIT 2: After 30 something tries. I did it. YAY

EDIT 3: Now getting owned in ZAKO survival :(

Zako Survival PART 1: Steath soldier
Piss easy, just grab items, avoid bullets and take him out while he's open. I prefer the M9.
PART 2: Many soldiers
Throw a stun nade a the left and right entrance. This should eliminate some pesky foes. Don't collect items until only a couple remain. Stay in cover and pop out for a quick attack. I find the M9 to be very effective for headshots. BE SURE YOU GRAB THE RATION BEFORE IT ENDS
PART 3: TENGUS AND ASSORTED DOUCHEBAGS
Stand behind the wall near the left. Shoot the P90 TENGUS with M4 or socom. Have freeze spray ready when katana TENGUS jump down. Spray them and quickly take them out. Again, I prefer M9. Rinse and repeat until they are gone. Continued in next post....

Make sure you keep the ration equipped at all times, but try to avoid using it as it helps for the final fight. After the TENGUS are eliminated, you'll have several steath and regular enemies left. Peek from cover and go for headshots. If you get hit and your health is low, go behind cover and crouch to heal until you health is green. Don't worry about items here, they're mostly useless if you have socom, m4, coolant, nades and M9. Once you eliminate them you begin the final fight.
PART 4: SUPER GENOME GENOLA
The battlefield is incredibly small, so be careful. Grab the stinger launcher on the right and watch Genola. He will do a series of punches which will hurt if you get hit. They're very easy to dodge if you move to the opposite of the punch. Keep the ration equipped and use the health tactic I mentioned if you get hit (just be careful). Your target is a device that flies overhead which goes steath often. Timing is key here. Watch Genola, equip stinger after punches and try to shoot the device.

It may take a few tries, but you should have a little over ten minutes if you get through the first three quickly. This is the tactic I used and I got the top score at the end despite sucking at most of the MGS1 missions.

Top Bottom