• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Thanks for all the tips, RadioHeadAche, but I already passed the ZAKO survival a long time ago now. :(

Hopefully someone else finds it useful.

I'm on the Alternative Missions now. I finished up bomb disposal and have yet to start elimination or hold up.

Carnby

Now that Zavvi changed their Ulitimate HD set to "a Zavvi world exclusive," what exactly is exclusive about the set? It seems to be identical to the Austrailian Limited Edition.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The Zavvi version includes MGS2, MGS3, MGS PW in a special case alongside the 250 page artbook and an exclusive t shirt in a special case. For those who preordered they'll get a copy of MGS4 Platinum Hits as well.

Fucking lame compared to the Japanese version.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I snagged this last night and started Peace Walker since I haven't played that one before. It's pretty damn good so far. I love the base building/recruitment system and the story is pretty solid. I love the concept art cutscenes.

suikodan

I just beaten Peace Walker and now the big question...

What do I do with Paz??? It reads that I need a special item...????

And isn't there a
fifth chapter
???

RedSwirl

Wasn't the biggest fan of MGS2 (except the ending... GAWD!!!!) but I loved 3 and still have it. I haven't played Peacewalker and haven't been that interested for a few reasons, but I'll admit I don't know much about it so I figured I'd ask.

1. Is the game meant to be played multiplayer? I doubt I'd be able to find buddies to play this with me and I'm more interested in a single player experience.

2. Is it a structured narrative ala MGS1, 2, 3, and 4?

3. Is it really different than the past MGS games? It seems like a totally different game with an MGS3 skin and not much emphasis on story.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

1. The amount of health some of the later bosses have is ridiculous and they were definitely meant to be fought with multiple people, but there's really only one boss in the main story that takes an obscene amount of time to fight alone. (It's doable, it just takes a really long time.) There's online play so you can just hookup with a random person to help you out if you want. The fact that you can only carry two guns at a time and not nearly enough ammo to take out a boss supports that it was designed for multiple players. (There's an item you can use to call in for extra ammo when you run out, so bosses are still possible in single player if you're prepared.) The non-boss missions are all fine in single player mode, though. In fact I'd go so far as to say those are probably more difficult with multiple players.

2. Yeah, though you'll spend much less time in cutscenes and codec conversations than you did in those games. The story won't have as big an impact as the ones in the numbered games, but it's an interesting side story that brings some insight into the events surrounding The Boss before and after MGS 3. There are main story missions and a ton of "Extra Ops."

3. It basically plays like a mix of MGS 3 and MGS 4 with more, shorter missions. (It was designed to be played on the go, after all.) It also lets your recruit soldiers to perform various tasks in your home base and develop weapons and equipment for you. It's pretty cool.

I would add that Peace Walker does indeed have hours of what are basically "codec conversations" in it, but they're sectioned off into their own part of the game. As you play you unlock tape recordings of things like tips for bosses, conversations between Snake and the other characters, back story, and even full-blown history lessons. It originally being a PSP game, I think Kojima meant for them to be listened to like a podcast or something.

Carnby

The Zavvi version includes MGS2, MGS3, MGS PW in a special case alongside the 250 page artbook and an exclusive t shirt in a special case. For those who preordered they'll get a copy of MGS4 Platinum Hits as well.

That's exactly what the Australian LE is, minus the MGS4 Platinum Hits. But that can be found anywhere.

So as I said before, is there anything at all that separates this from the Australian LE?

Ridley327

And isn't there a
fifth chapter
???

You need a Love Box in order to complete her mission. This is also the only mission that requires you to use CO-OPS commands to achieve the highest possible ranking, so it's a good idea to equip a bunch of encouraging, non-violent commands.

Carbonox

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platform...limited-edition-zavvi-exclusive/10532517.html

After all this wait, this is what they've come up with? I'm seriously considering cancelling my preorder now. 70 quid, lulz.

Wasn't this originally supposed to come with a PSN voucher for MGS1 as well?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, I'm also bummed that they aren't in 1080p. The consoles are capable of outputting it, and many HDTV's display it, so it sucks that the "definitive" versions of these games aren't quite as cutting edge as they could be. I don't know about MGS3, but MGS2 doesn't appear to have any AA at all, the jaggies are pretty bad. They're certainly an improvement, but they could be a lot better. I guess that leaves a few things to improve in the re-re-releases on next gen consoles.

Still, MGS2 is as awesome as ever and I really like Peace Walker so far. I'm saving MGS3 for last but I'm sure it will be glorious in 60FPS. The lack of 1080p and proper AA have me pining for a PC port (which will never happen, obviously), but I'm happy to have these games on my PS3 regardless.

Thanks for the reply, sad about no AA :(
I'd be all over a PC port, but since that'll probably never happen I guess I'll cave in as soon as it hits the magical £17.99. Would have gone for the LE if it was priced something lime £50, £70 seems going overboard. Dunno what format is the artbook tho, is it a nice and big (in size, not in amount of oages) coffe table book?

noisepurge said:
Dualshock 3 has pressure sensitivity. If you release the buttons slowly you can lower your weapon without firing etc.

Awesome, thanks! Desmond as well, thanks man.

Roto13

And isn't there a
fifth chapter
???

Yeah, you're on the fifth chapter. :p
You need to do all the Zadornov Search missions and finish building ZEKE to get the real ending.

It took me almost thirty-three and a half hours to complete the VR missions. The MGS1 Snake hold-up missions were brutal at times; the one with the Tengus was bullshit. I had to look up that one because I could never spot one guard before he spotted me with his infinity vision.

I got the Virtually Impossible trophy yesterday. Most of the MGS1-Snake Hold Ups weren't too bad, except for Level 08 with the tengus, that one was just not even fair. I had to look up a video and copy everything that it did to pass that one.

I started my Extreme run last night to get Great Dane. Just finally beat Vamp... I think he's the hardest boss in this game, entirely due to his final phase where he just jumps around really fast and throws bundles of knives at you.

I just started up MGS3 tonight and I have to say... I loved everything about MGS3 when I first played it years ago, but right now I am just totally hating the camo system. Having to change camo all the damn time just to sneak effectively is so damn annoying. I'm finding it hard to see a point in sneaking anyway, when I can just run up to every guard and CQC throw them down and hardly be penalized for it in any way. Also, is it just impossible to sneak up on guards from behind unless you have The Fear's camo, or what? They hear me every time, no matter how slowly I'm walking. Ugh

Blablurn

I just started up MGS3 tonight and I have to say... I loved everything about MGS3 when I first played it years ago, but right now I am just totally hating the camo system. Having to change camo all the damn time just to sneak effectively is so damn annoying. I'm finding it hard to see a point in sneaking anyway, when I can just run up to every guard and CQC throw them down and hardly be penalized for it in any way. Also, is it just impossible to sneak up on guards from behind unless you have The Fear's camo, or what? They hear me every time, no matter how slowly I'm walking. Ugh

funny, i always avoided camo when i played the ps2 version. but i use it now on the hd collection :D just for fun.

funny, i always avoided camo when i played the ps2 version. but i use it now on the hd collection :D just for fun.

Heh, yeah, my time with the PS2 version was spent slowly sneaking through areas and changing my camo every 30 seconds for maximum effectiveness and loving every second of it. I'm not sure what has made me change my mind about it... maybe MGS4's octo-camo?

You have to use the D-pad to "Stalk," otherwise they'll always turn around.

AHHHH YES, I forgot about that! Thank you, I should enjoy this game a lot more now

Blablurn

Heh, yeah, my time with the PS2 version was spent slowly sneaking through areas and changing my camo every 30 seconds for maximum effectiveness and loving every second of it. I'm not sure what has made me change my mind about it... maybe MGS4's octo-camo?

could be :D octo game was pretty awesome though.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
You have to use the D-pad to "Stalk," otherwise they'll always turn around.

I beat the entire game not knowing this when MGS3 first was released.
LLShC.gif

luka

Loves Robotech S1

I dunno, I really just changed my camo when I entered a new area to fit the majority of the terrain and left it at that. You really don't need >70% index all the time to sneak properly.

I dunno, I really just changed my camo when I entered a new area to fit the majority of the terrain and left it at that. You really don't need >70% index all the time to sneak properly.

It's just a bit of a dumb mechanic to have to change it manually, especially in a menu. It's not challenging, just tedious, to have to go into a menu and choose the largest available number once your camo index is too low. MGS4 handled it very nicely.

GrayFoxPL

It's just a bit of a dumb mechanic to have to change it manually, especially in a menu. It's not challenging, just tedious, to have to go into a menu and choose the largest available number once your camo index is too low. MGS4 handled it very nicely.

Shame in the 60-ties they didn't have octocam right?
I agree it's a chore, could as well be cut out. I run around with bare chest, just those leeches...

GrayFoxPL

Right.

They did, however, apparently have the ability to instantly change clothes... and have long radio conversations in the middle of boss battles... and....

Don't tell me you wanted to watch Snake changing clothes every time? Game would be unplayable. It's not technology it's a "gameology".

Don't tell me you wanted to watch Snake changing clothes every time? Game would be unplayable. It's not technology it's a "gameology".

I'm only saying that MGS doesn't shy away from impossible game-like devices. So if Snake were to just change camo in the middle of the forest with some silly animation, it would not be that outside the game's wheelhouse... and then there wouldn't be the tedious menu camo-changing mechanic.

Not being able to crouch and walk in MGS3 is annoying the shit out of me.

It annoys the shit out of me a hell of a lot more that I can't crawl in Peace Walker, or go into first person view and lean left and right, or get on my tiptoes, or drag an enemy in a chokehold.... and the aiming reticules look fucking stupid.

First person leaning is what makes MGS what it is for me, if MGS5 doesn't bring it back I'm going to be pissed. MGS4 had it but it was mapped to the d-pad which was stupid...

Colocho

Banned
I've always wondered why exactly Volgin just had to blow up the Sokolov research facility, I mean I don't see a valid reason to do it and it seems it was done just to set up the premise of the whole game, because I don't think The Boss really intended for that to happen when she gave him the Davy Crocket missiles, or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention and I'm just being an ass.

Top Bottom