• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

I've always wondered why exactly Volgin just had to blow up the Sokolov research facility, I mean I don't see a valid reason to do it and it seems it was done just to set up the premise of the whole game, because I don't think The Boss really intended for that to happen when she gave him the Davy Crocket missiles, or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention and I'm just being an ass.

He wanted to frame the US I guess.

Oh and he wanted you to remember the Alamo.

I've always wondered why exactly Volgin just had to blow up the Sokolov research facility, I mean I don't see a valid reason to do it and it seems it was done just to set up the premise of the whole game, because I don't think The Boss really intended for that to happen when she gave him the Davy Crocket missiles, or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention and I'm just being an ass.

IIRC, in Portable Ops Gene tells Big Boss that Volgin was ordered to fire the nuke by a higher power. I believe this ended up being either Zero or the Director of the CIA. I forget which though, it was left pretty ambiguous. :/

News Bot

Banned

Coldman told him to.

Which makes you wonder why someone who loathes the United States would listen to the Director of the CIA.

I forgot that Portable Ops implies that Volgin was in on the whole thing and then PW further says that the Operation was actually about trying to get rid of the Boss from the get go.

But I try to ignore those games.

AwShucks

Just started MGS3 last night and am two hours in. Man I forgot how much sitting and watching there is to some of the MGS games, but either way it looks great and I'm enjoying it so far.

I plan on playing in order of time they take place but haven't decided on playing Portable Ops, MG1 or MG2 yet.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
It makes absolutely no sense for Volgin to be working for Zero or the CIA. >_>

sAsSX.png

Omikaru

Well I do love MGS3 and thought it's story didn't really hurt what had happen before hand. I'm sure there are some little contradictions, but nothing that bothers me.

I agree with this. Kojima also tried to subtly answer some of MGS2's questions without giving a direct answer, but through inference. For example (obvious MGS2 and 3 spoilers here):

Ocelot was supposed to demonstrate what would happen to Olga's child, since he was taken away from The Boss in a similar way that Olga's child was taken away from her. She would probably wind up being an agent of The Patriots.
Of course, that wasn't good enough for some people, which is why we got MGS4, but I think MGS3 was largely inoffensive to MGS2. It tried to satisfy the fans' demand for a sequel, without really hurting the previous games. If that meant a few retcons, then I was okay with that.

MGS3 wasn't bad to MGS2 but MGS4 violently raped them both.
The ending to MGS3 didn't have to mean
Zero and them were the Patriots either
. Stupid.

I was playing Peace Walker in front of my bro-in-law.

Fulton system (how did he just float in the air like that?)
crazy MotherBase interface (why are you researching tortilla chips?)
EX OPs (there is a dating game in here?)
crazy long cutscenes (cold war mixed with kojima = crazy delicious)

his face look like this;

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

Just platinumed mgs3. I feel accomplished. Took two play throughs. I feel accomplished.

Lol, try MGS2 now...

My MGS3 plat took almost 2 playthroughs as well, it would have taken only one but for some reason I missed the fire camo the first time around so I had to play the game all the way up until getting the maintenance uniform for the Fashionista trophy. That was a pain.

kingslunk

Lol, try MGS2 now...

My MGS3 plat took almost 2 playthroughs as well, it would have taken only one but for some reason I missed the fire camo the first time around so I had to play the game all the way up until getting the maintenance uniform for the Fashionista trophy. That was a pain.

I accidently ate the tsuchinoko lol. I'm gonna do probably do the VR missions real quick then do peace walker and do the dog tags after.

I accidently ate the tsuchinoko lol. I'm gonna do probably do the VR missions real quick then do peace walker and do the dog tags after.

Not sure what you mean by "real quick", but for me those VR missions in MGS2 took me longer to complete than the MGS3 Plat took altogether. There are a lot of tough missions in there

duckroll

Hey motherfuckers. This collection is FUCKING AMAZING. I can't believe how good this is. It basically surpassed all possible expectations.

- MGS2, MGS3, and MGS PW in HD, all in 60fps, in true widescreen.

- Full online play for PW, complete with voice chat, and direct through PSN. No Konami ID bullshit.

- All the Subsistence content in MGS3, including MG and MG2.

- Looks motherfucking amazing.

- Runs motherfucking well.

- PW controls are motherfucking good.

- No installs. No bullshit. All on one disc.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bwhahahaha, I love you Ducky

thuway

Kojima please port this to the PC like originally intended :-/. I want this shit in 1080p, already got it on the 3riple.

strafer

Hey motherfuckers. This collection is FUCKING AMAZING. I can't believe how good this is. It basically surpassed all possible expectations.

- Full online play for PW, complete with voice chat, and direct through PSN. No Konami ID bullshit.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

Sounds motherfucking awesome.

Desmond

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!
NOW ALL WE NEED ARE MGS4 TROPHIES

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, SO LET IT BE DONE

duckroll

NOW ALL WE NEED ARE MGS4 TROPHIES

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, SO LET IT BE DONE

The trophies for MGS2, MGS3, and MGS PW are really well designed too. There are a ton of interesting ones to get, and a lot are connected to fund optional content/challenges in the games.

The fact that MGS4 never got trophies patched in indicates that the game is such a clusterfuck of programming that Kojima Productions could never find a way to easily patch it or port it to any other platform. Considering how fucked up the game is technically, with the shitty load times, the ridiculous installs, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if the only way we can ever get anything "more" out of MGS4 is if they completely remake the game from ground up.

Desmond

The trophies for MGS2, MGS3, and MGS PW are really well designed too. There are a ton of interesting ones to get, and a lot are connected to fund optional content/challenges in the games.

The fact that MGS4 never got trophies patched in indicates that the game is such a clusterfuck of programming that Kojima Productions could never find a way to easily patch it or port it to any other platform. Considering how fucked up the game is technically, with the shitty load times, the ridiculous installs, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if the only way we can ever get anything "more" out of MGS4 is if they completely remake the game from ground up.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I remeber Payton saying on the KP podcast that they were doing something about it around Aug 2010 I think. The clusterfucked programming is probably the same reason we haven't got MGS4S, a la Integral/Substance/Subsistence

stuminus3

I'd agree 100% with Ducky if there was an HD version of MGS1 on here. Such a shame there isn't. Also it'd be the greatest thing ever if MGS2 got MGS3/PW camera controls. Again it's a shame it didn't.

I'd agree 100% with Ducky if there was an HD version of MGS1 on here. Such a shame there isn't. Also it'd be the greatest thing ever if MGS2 got MGS3/PW camera controls. Again it's a shame it didn't.
Oh god no it isn't. MGS2 is a puzzle game, it's made with the controls and camera in mind. It dosent need its gameplay changed at all.

Desmond

So... they're still messing around with MGS4? Hmmm

Oops, it was actually August 2009

"I just wanna tell everybody out there right now that your voices are being heard and that we're not ignoring you. We hear everything that you are saying. It's just that we can't say anything just yet.

"But as soon as we have something to say, we will announce it. So, if we can just ask everyone to be patient, we will give you an answer. But right now we can't say anything. So we just ask for everyone's understanding with that and just ask for everybody to remain patient and we'll let you know."

Still waiting lol

Oh god no it isn't. MGS2 is a puzzle game, it's made with the controls and camera in mind. It dosent need its gameplay changed at all.
What dya mean? Would 3D camera control improve 2 substantially? Like FPS-mode enhance MGS1 in TTS?
lol

Ridley327

They experimented with a 3D camera for the HD collection and found that it really wasn't working all that well. No reason for it either since the game is still entirely in the classic MG mold.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, Peace Walker is really great. I'm constantly impressed at how polished it is. I'm just stuck at (chapter 3 spoilers)
the torture scene.
I don't think I have the dexterity to mash triangle fast enough to get through the third segment :'(

grkazan12

About to get this real soon, are there any noticeable differences between the 360 and PS3 version? Is one better than the other or is just controller preference.

hayejin

The game keeps track of all the kills and non-kills and what not for those emblems at the end. They could totally go with typical Dynasty Warriors route and pop up achievement/tropies at the end of the level when you save the game based on some of the stats the game does keep track of.

Hey, just got this and was wondering which order to play them in?
Release date or Metal Gear timeline order?

I've beaten MGS and MGS4 if that makes any difference.

Top Bottom