• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

I think realease order is the best way.

Story just flows better that way. I mean the revelations like even the pre-credit roll will have a lot more impact if you've played 1 and 2.

About to get this real soon, are there any noticeable differences between the 360 and PS3 version? Is one better than the other or is just controller preference.

PS3 version has PSP save transfers on Peace Walker and pressure sensitive buttons on the dualshock.

Preferably release date, chronological is okay though. As long as you play 1 before 2.

I'd say release order if playing through them the first time, chronological order is fun to do when you've played through them all before.

MechaX

I just booted up MGS2. Holy Christ, David Hayter's voice actually sounds kind of normal and not ridiculously exaggerated. Yeah, it's not as good as it was in MGS1, but man... Talk about a fucking downward sprawl in quality beyond this game.

MGS2 was the first time he started to try to force himself into reprising what I guess he heard out of MGS1? Then it just became more and more a parody of himself. The worst to me is with MGS3 when he's just saying "Boss!" in a strained-sorta way when it's supposed to be more of a yell. Listening to the podcasts where he normally talks, it sounds more like MGS1 to me.

Koyuga

I just booted up MGS2. Holy Christ, David Hayter's voice actually sounds kind of normal and not ridiculously exaggerated. Yeah, it's not as good as it was in MGS1, but man... Talk about a fucking downward sprawl in quality beyond this game.

I thought his MGS2 voice was tons more consistent than he was on PS1...

Ra1den

Can anybody give the lowdown on added content for Peace Walker? I think I heard there was going to be new missions or something. I can't start all over and put another 100 hours into the HD version, but I would like to know what I am missing.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Anyone know if there is a way to transfer in EU PSP save games into the NA version of the game. I really want to pickup where I left off on PSP with Peace Walker. Gotta say PW with shooter controls in HD is pretty damn awesome, I just don't feel like the grind.

Desmond

Anyone know if there is a way to transfer in EU PSP save games into the NA version of the game. I really want to pickup where I left off on PSP with Peace Walker. Gotta say PW with shooter controls in HD is pretty damn awesome, I just don't feel like the grind.

It's region locked, but I think someone manage to get ít to work, but it involved a lot of effort.

Bluepoint edited the MGS2 EXTREME choke-hold of doom didn't they? I was going through bracing my finger for an exhaustive workout only to hear it ending after a few seconds. To be honest, I don't think I can play extreme again. I'm not good enough at the game. I managed to get a Big Boss rank on MGS4, but I think that's due to the game being a bit easier thanks to the new mechanics and camera. However, I know how to fight the harrier and the Metal Gear RAYs. No idea how you defeat Vamp non-lethally, though. I just stingered his ass because I was only going for dog-tags.

It annoys the shit out of me a hell of a lot more that I can't crawl in Peace Walker, or go into first person view and lean left and right, or get on my tiptoes, or drag an enemy in a chokehold.... and the aiming reticules look fucking stupid.

First person leaning is what makes MGS what it is for me, if MGS5 doesn't bring it back I'm going to be pissed. MGS4 had it but it was mapped to the d-pad which was stupid...

MGS4 spoiled me because the controls and new mechanics were wonderful. I can still play older Metal Gears (I loved replaying MGS2 recently), but not having those added mechanics is annoying sometimes. Peace Walker probably is the worst because it's like MGS4, but not close enough.

Any gaffers play this? I bought the DLC during the summer, but always get kicked from lobbies (low level)

It's my go-to game, so yes I still play. Quite often, actually.

Lol, try MGS2 now...

My MGS3 plat took almost 2 playthroughs as well, it would have taken only one but for some reason I missed the fire camo the first time around so I had to play the game all the way up until getting the maintenance uniform for the Fashionista trophy. That was a pain.

MGS3 was an easy platinum. All you need is a guide and checklist and some free-time. It didn't feel very satisfying for me once I got it. MGS2 on the other hand requires a lot of effort, time with a dash of skill. MGS2 was a truly satisfying platinum for me. Collecting dog-tags which could be monotonous was fun. Also, thanks to the trophies, I got to see things I never thought were in the game like that ghost in hold 2 or hearing Johnny with the directional microphone. It was frustrating for sure, but it's one of my favorite platinum trophies now. Also, hearing Solidus's scream after finally destroying the harrier on extreme is so very satisfying.

Fuck that Fortune "fight", though. Holy shit I was raging hard. I was trying to run back and forth between those two oil drums, but Raiden would just keep running towards the right despite not pressing the analog stick in that direction. I tried it with two different controllers and got the same result, so I'm thinking it's the game. I ended up cartwheeling for my life because that glitch or whatever left me vulnerable.

The Lamp

Never played mgs1 and I bought this collection on sale from amazon. Should I play mgs1 on psn or get twin snakes?

Play MGS1.

If you play it and love it and decide you want to try it again with a new kind of...I don't know...twist on the gameplay and an upgrade in graphics, try Twin Snakes. It's apparently easier and the cutscenes are redone (some people think the redone cutscenes are worse), but it's worth a shot if you like MGS1.

But first try MGS1 the way it was originally intended :)

cory.

Banned
Play MGS1.

If you play it and love it and decide you want to try it again with a new kind of...I don't know...twist on the gameplay and an upgrade in graphics, try Twin Snakes. It's apparently easier and the cutscenes are redone (some people think the redone cutscenes are worse), but it's worth a shot if you like MGS1.

But first try MGS1 the way it was originally intended :)

This, MGS1 definitely holds up.

Got this for Christmas. I've played the series in a bizarre order. I played 4 first as it was the most recent, and after enjoying it went back and played through 1 on PSN. I'm now playing 2 for the first time.

I just beat
Fatman
, how far am I?

hayejin

Got this for Christmas. I've played the series in a bizarre order. I played 4 first as it was the most recent, and after enjoying it went back and played through 1 on PSN. I'm now playing 2 for the first time.

I just beat
Fatman
, how far am I?

1/3

Remember. The ending movie is like almost 2 hours long which includes brief boss fight.

Still working on big boss rank in mgs2. I'm not necessarily a remarkable player, but I've been learning the game as much as I can on my free time. The more I play it, the more I fall in love with the gameplay and realize its definitely one of the best 3D games ever made. It allows for so much creativity when solving problems in the main game and in the extra ops as long as the player is aware of the engine's rules and workings. I feel many people don't give the gameplay the credit it deserves as they're probably put off by the crazy story, long cutscenes, and Raiden.

StuBurns

Banned
Still working on big boss rank in mgs2. I'm not necessarily a remarkable player, but I've been learning the game as much as I can on my free time. The more I play it, the more I fall in love with the gameplay and realize its definitely one of the best 3D games ever made. It allows for so much creativity when solving problems in the main game and in the extra ops as long as the player is aware of the engine's rules and workings. I feel many people don't give the gameplay the credit it deserves as they're probably put off by the crazy story, long cutscenes, and Raiden.

Despite the label 'tactical espionage action', MGS2 is essentially a puzzle game with action elements and it just happens to have the most grandiose packaging around it.

I think the people who don't value the gameplay were just expecting it to be more of an action game.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Wow, Peace Walker CO-Ops is a lot more addicting than I thought it would be.

All these A-ranked, 9999 health/psyche bad-asses recruited from some 5 level difficulty "destroy a mech" mission are sitting at the Brig and I'm like "well maybe if I play only ONE more CO-OP mission before hopping back to the story"....
It gets to the point where I have like 80 potential recuits from one of those hard co-op missions that I need to either accept or discharge and discharge some of my own in-house since I hit the 350 mark pretty fast. Bless you you Japanese super-soldiers I'm paired up with during these missions.

Sky Chief

Despite the label 'tactical espionage action', MGS2 is essentially a puzzle game with action elements and it just happens to have the most grandiose packaging around it.

I think the people who don't value the gameplay were just expecting it to be more of an action game.

Agreed, and while I think this rubs some people the wrong way IMO it is the brilliance of the game. The gameplay mechanics are damn near perfect for what the game is trying to achieve.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, Peace Walker CO-Ops is a lot more addicting than I thought it would be.

All these A-ranked, 9999 health/psyche bad-asses recruited from some 5 level difficulty "destroy a mech" mission are sitting at the Brig and I'm like "well maybe if I play only ONE more CO-OP mission before hopping back to the story"....
It gets to the point where I have like 80 potential recuits from one of those hard co-op missions that I need to either accept or discharge and discharge some of my own in-house since I hit the 350 mark pretty fast. Bless you you Japanese super-soldiers I'm paired up with during these missions.

Guess I should try the internet option. I got S ranks by myself on PSP with a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Stupid that they won't recognize or give trophies for PSN-tied (for DLC) PSP saves, but whatever. Gives me a chance to redo the game.

MechaX

Never played mgs1 and I bought this collection on sale from amazon. Should I play mgs1 on psn or get twin snakes?

I'm playing through MGS1 right now before I get back into the HD collection.

Surprisingly, it holds up. The camera really does suck in the sense that enemies will be off-screen a majority of the time, but it's still pretty playable.

With that said, the impact of some of the major story elements will be severely lessened if you're coming off of MGS2 and 3, and especially MGS4. But MGS1 isn't that long, so it wouldn't hurt.

Now I don't really hate Twin Snakes as much as a lot of GAF, but I would say that Twin Snakes probably gives... the wrong impression of what really happened in the course of MGS1. Plus, the introduction of MGS2's elements actually hurts the game more than it helps when considering the levels are not designed for the MGS2 engine in the slightest; some areas and bosses are infinitely easier because you will be able to snipe an entire room of guards with the Tranq Gun upon entering, while a lot more are infinitely harder because of shitty hiding places + guards that can actually see across the room.

Surprisingly, it holds up. The camera really does suck in the sense that enemies will be off-screen a majority of the time, but it's still pretty playable.

With that said, the impact of some of the major story elements will be severely lessened if you're coming off of MGS2 and 3, and especially MGS4. But MGS1 isn't that long, so it wouldn't hurt.

Now I don't really hate Twin Snakes as much as a lot of GAF, but I would say that Twin Snakes probably gives... the wrong impression of what really happened in the course of MGS1. Plus, the introduction of MGS2's elements actually hurts the game more than it helps when considering the levels are not designed for the MGS2 engine in the slightest; some areas and bosses are infinitely easier because you will be able to snipe an entire room of guards with the Tranq Gun upon entering, while a lot more are infinitely harder because of shitty hiding places + guards that can actually see across the room.

Yep. Agreed on all points. I wish more people agreed, but MGS1 on PSX holds up beautifully. The "at least I always fought for what I believed in" scene is just as powerful now as it was in 1998, IMO. The blocky faces and jerky physical emoting of the characters as they speak are essential to the charm of the game.

Teknoman

I just beat MGS1 a few seconds ago(for the first time), and I share the same camera complaint. Also going backwards, you really miss CQC actions, but like you said, the game still holds up. Had no idea Meryl was actually supposed to be...dead, so that made it a huge deal when she reappeared in MGS4. Also I can imagine how psyched people were for MGS2, listening to the end transmission after MGS1's credits ran.

"Mr. President" *Dun dun dunnn*. Time to dive into HD collection...and I guess i'll just go in order of the game releases since i've already played MGS1. One thing i'm surprised about is that for how recognizeable the MGS theme is, I dont think I heard it once during the game. I remember the entire theme in the first PS1 trailer, and trailers for MGS3, but other than that...does it ever play in any of the titles? Maybe my memory is just fuzzy.

Akainu

Transfarred and played my cousins copy over Christmas break. The Monster Hunter Peace Walker missions just made me wish Capcom didn't suck and would release a HD Monster Hunter on consoles already.

Desmond

I just beat MGS1 a few seconds ago(for the first time), and I share the same camera complaint. Also going backwards, you really miss CQC actions, but like you said, the game still holds up. Had no idea Meryl was actually supposed to be...dead, so that made it a huge deal when she reappeared in MGS4. Also I can imagine how psyched people were for MGS2, listening to the end transmission after MGS1's credits ran.

"Mr. President" *Dun dun dunnn*. Time to dive into HD collection...and I guess i'll just go in order of the game releases since i've already played MGS1. One thing i'm surprised about is that for how recognizeable the MGS theme is, I dont think I heard it once during the game. I remember the entire theme in the first PS1 trailer, and trailers for MGS3, but other than that...does it ever play in any of the titles? Maybe my memory is just fuzzy.

The Theme plays in 2 (one of gaming's best moments) and at the end of 3 iirc

MechaX

However, you get one pretty crucial detail about Meryl and Campbell's relationship by submitting to the torture. In the other ending, Campbell never actually mentions
how she is actually his daughter instead of his niece.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
She isn't the real ending is where you save her.

Until MGS4 I always thought the one where she dies was the canon ending as well

I took Snake using Stealth Camo and being with Otacon at the start of 2 as Kojima hinting at which was the real one.

f@luS

More than a member.
i never played peace walker just bought collection cant wait

but... is there anyway to play the other Metal gear PSP that is missing here? i dont have a PSP ! they will port it maybe?

about MGS1 , it wasnt suppose to be a voucher to download it on PSN?

Ridley327

i never played peace walker just bought collection cant wait

but... is there anyway to play the other Metal gear PSP that is missing here? i dont have a PSP ! they will port it maybe?

about MGS1 , it wasnt suppose to be a voucher to download it on PSN?

You don't want to play Portable Ops.

Yen

really ? not even story-wise?
damn

what about mgs1?
1 is on PSN, and it's a must play.
PO is really bad when compared to PW. Story has no baring on anything. Long story short: the main character in 3 and PW inherits some money.

f@luS

More than a member.
ok ...well

but at first showing they didnt say they will offert MGS1 download with this?

can i play it directly on PS3 if i buy it on PSN or it has to be on PSP? (there is no lifting right? pixel party?)

i want to play them all

any particular order or 1/2/3/4/PW simply?

Grokbu

i want to play them all

any particular order or 1/2/3/4/PW simply?
I personally don't like the game, but I do believe that you should watch Portable Ops cutscenes or read up on the story, so that you know what happens.

I would go with this order: 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> PO -> 4 -> PW

MechaX

Personally, there are really only a few things that you need to know that happened in PO.

1) Big Boss worked with Roy Campbell
2) Sokolov is actually alive
3) Big Boss gets a hold of the remaining piece of the Philosopher's Legacy, explaining how he gets the funds for his organization.
4) Big Boss saves a guy called Null who uses a sword, who is actually Frank Jaeger/Grey Fox

And that's it.

duckroll

PO is really bad when compared to PW. Story has no baring on anything. Long story short: the main character in 3 and PW inherits some money.

I don't really agree with this claim. Gameplay-wise, yes PO is really bad compared to PW, and definitely a lower effort title with poor gameplay decisions. The bosses are also pretty awful. But the story is every bit as significant as PW. If PO's plot has no purpose, then neither does PW.

PO is about the origin of Ninja, Campbell, Foxhound, and Ocelot's co-creation of the Patriots. It is also about the seeds of Outer Heaven as an idea planted into Snake's mind.

PW is about the origin of Miller, Outer Heaven itself, and Metal Gear.

Beyond filling up pieces of history and connecting the dots, both games "serve no purpose" storywise. I can't see someone being a fan of the PW story and not being a fan of the PO story. I like both, and the comic presentation was pretty cool. PO had a lot of problems, but the story definitely wasn't one of them. The villain in PO is way more compelling and interesting than the villains in PW anyway. That was the main disappointment in PW... and MGS4 to an extend.

MechaX

Jesus Christ, duckroll, that's a spoiler minefield.

While I agree with the sentiment that PO's story did have purpose and importance in its own right, I can't agree that it was just as vital as PW.
Things like saving Grey Fox and forming FOXHOUND are things that are merely glossed over in the grand scheme of things. While Gene does give Snake the basic idea for Outer Heaven, he doesn't get past the "... I'll think about it" phase of things. This is compared to PW where not only does Snake finally move past the Boss's death, fully accepts the mantle of Big Boss, but he also explicitly creates Outer Heaven. This is a direct contrast from PO where the biggest point of the story is to explain how Big Boss gets the Legacy funds from Gene.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Until MGS4 I always thought the one where she dies was the canon ending as well

I took Snake using Stealth Camo and being with Otacon at the start of 2 as Kojima hinting at which was the real one.

There wasn't really a canon ending for MGS. Both of them worked on different levels. The sequel kind of dances around the issue and it wasn't until 4 that they felt the need to nullify the player's choice for the sake of continuity - one of that game's many narrative fuckups.

so I went through the HD collection...(well except Metal Gear 1 and Metal gear 2: Solid Snake, which I will do). So now, I'm playing through metal gear solid 1.... Twin Snakes.

I know this version gets a lot of hate, but I still love it. I wish the Wii U would get an HD version of that. I'd like to know Kojima's thoughts on that one.

Top Bottom