• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

S1lent

There wasn't really a canon ending for MGS. Both of them worked on different levels. The sequel kind of dances around the issue and it wasn't until 4 that they felt the need to nullify the player's choice for the sake of continuity - one of that game's many narrative fuckups.

No, there are references to Meryl being alive in MGS2. It's long been known to be the canon ending.

I would have beaten Snake Eater with no kills, but one of those flying guys flew into my RPG near the end.

I never played Subsistence before, but I love the new camera.

The trick for holding the trigger to not lose health while Volgin beats Snake still works, but I didn't try the one where you can stamina beat the Fear with the fake death pill and a machine gun.

Peace Walker isn't really doing it for me though. I don't like the controls and I might be too stubborn to adapt. I tried the first boss fight a few times and can't figure out how to beat it, probably doesn't help that I keep forgetting what button does what.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Snake having the bandana is the biggest hint.

Yeah, but he also has the optic camo in the opening. >_>

I've never interpreted most of the little references as anything more than just references. Sly winks to the people who have played them rather than solid narrative connections and inferrences. Either ending you get conveys it's own unique information and perspectives (like the fact that meryl was cambell's daughter), and I'm sure they were intended to be equally valid. Basically, you can only get the complete story by witnessing both endings. It's a form of narrative progression that is unique to the medium.

Like that 'other' big PSX game that was never expected to become so prolific - biohazard/RE, where 3 of 4 main character survive depending on who you're playing as, and rebecca or barry are either never introduced, or presumed missing from the start. Their fates are left up to pure inference that they both survived, but their circumstances are simultaneously true depending on which game/event is referencing it.

I'm only saying this as someone who believes video game narratives shouldn't always be percieved as 100% linear where a single canon is always necessary, but as a malleable, mutable thing that differs from person to person and mgs2 (like biohazard 2) treated it as such. The longer each series progressed they stopped being able to avoid making clear connections to their projenitors.

Regardless, mgs4 made it all irrelevant and any conjecture is now moot, which means I'm babbling for no reason. :p
Thankfully I can keep on trying to forget that game ever existed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, you'd still have to drag soldiers all the way back to the truck to recruit them.

Someone never called Campbell, I see.

And no: It still would be a terrible game because Payton was behind it. In addition to being MGO in sheeps clothing.

stamina beat the Fear with the fake death pill and a machine gun.

What? I've been stock piling all this rotten food for nothing!?

SHAZOOM

This is still an enormously tedious process that was wisely pared down for Peace Walker.
Not when you move your whole team in. Its only tedious if you left your entire team by the truck or call for a transfer one soldier at a time.

One teammate can take ALL of the soldiers back with one call to Campbell.

Teknoman

If you submit to Ocelot's torture, Meryl dies on top of Rex and you end up doing the escape sequence with Otacon. He also hands over his stealth camo.

Heh...thought that was the canon ending since you start MGS2 with it and then it just shorts out from a simple impact. Guess im going to have to go through a second time.

Also it just hit me how awesome MGS2's soundtrack is for stealth action.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

I've never interpreted most of the little references as anything more than just references. Sly winks to the people who have played them rather than solid narrative connections and inferrences. Either ending you get conveys it's own unique information and perspectives (like the fact that meryl was cambell's daughter), and I'm sure they were intended to be equally valid. Basically, you can only get the complete story by witnessing both endings. It's a form of narrative progression that is unique to the medium.

Like that 'other' big PSX game that was never expected to become so prolific - biohazard/RE, where 3 of 4 main character survive depending on who you're playing as, and rebecca or barry are either never introduced, or presumed missing from the start. Their fates are left up to pure inference that they both survived, but their circumstances are simultaneously true depending on which game/event is referencing it.

I'm only saying this as someone who believes video game narratives shouldn't always be percieved as 100% linear where a single canon is always necessary, but as a malleable, mutable thing that differs from person to person and mgs2 (like biohazard 2) treated it as such. The longer each series progressed they stopped being able to avoid making clear connections to their projenitors.

Regardless, mgs4 made it all irrelevant and any conjecture is now moot, which means I'm babbling for no reason. :p
Thankfully I can keep on trying to forget that game ever existed.
I'd never be able to accept Snake pussing out during the torture sequence as canon :p

TheSeks

or just equip the thermal goggles and shoot him continuously while standing still with the mk.22... worst boss fight ever :D

I forgot the thermals since I'm going for no-kills and markhor. Or does those conflict?

Also the Japanese are fucking BALLSY in Peace Walker's online. Run right up to a dude and hold him up while I attempt that and get alerts. :lol

Online is the BEST thing to come from the collection for Peace Walker, IMO. SORELY needed and no Ad-hoc Party was not a good substitute, even when I used it Kojima.

I always beat The Fear by shooting/stabbing poison dart frogs and then throwing them out for The Fear to eat and throw up, then punch him when his stamina's almost bottomed out.

TheSeks

I just googled that spoiler method and what the fuck have I been doing all these years!? If it's that completely easy, I'm wondering if that method works for the other bosses and MGS2 as well.

Erigu

Plisken calls out her name in his sleep, which could be interpreted either way. What other references are there?
Snake and Otacon obliquely mention her on the tanker, and they really don't make it sound like she tragically died back in the previous game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen a japanese player stamina kill the fear by using the fake death pill near one of the log trap wires. Then reviving, stun grenading and tripping the wire causing the log to repeatedly hit him and deplete his stamina almost instantly

It was the most boss shit I've ever seen in that game but I can't for the life of me find that playthrough again.

I've seen a japanese player stamina kill the fear by using the fake death pill near one of the log trap wires. Then reviving, stun grenading and tripping the wire causing the log to repeatedly hit him and deplete his stamina almost instantly

It was the most boss shit I've ever seen in that game but I can't for the life of me find that playthrough again.

you will have to look for a speedrun. I remember watching the same thing.

Edit: Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPH_DTredJQ

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I was able to find a new copy of the PS3 LE of this at a GameStop near me today. I was surprised and bought it immediately. $59.99, to boot!

dreamahm

Banned
Who think that we should call metal gear solid 3ds the Ass?

Also i really enjoy twin snake why there is no remake on any consoles.

TheSeks

Both, but I find it more comfortable on PS3 with the dualshock.

Eh... just change L/R2 to L/R triggers. You only miss quick equip/reloading but meh... it's perfectly playable on PSP. But the PSP2 will make it a LOT better if they have touch-screen L/R2 or put the L/R2 on another stick that isn't near the D-pad.

Otacon was the inventor of the optic camo, not to mention the only guy alive who owned a working model. So the fact is, whenever Snake met him in the Meryl timeline, he could have been given one then. Unless he's supposed to die in that timeline.

Ridley327

Otacon was the inventor of the optic camo, not to mention the only guy alive who owned a working model. So the fact is, whenever Snake met him in the Meryl timeline, he could have been given one then. Unless he's supposed to die in that timeline.

Snake specifically mentions at the end that Otacon is still in the facility needing an evac, so he's alive and well in the Meryl ending.

In my head the Otacon ending was always the canon one. The tragic ending fits better, Meryl wasn't mentioned in MGS2 and if she did survive then what the hell happened between Snake and her? Also, when I was younger I could never get past the torture and without youtube or anything I didn't see the Meryl ending until several years later. I put Meryl's appearance in MGS4 down to Kojima wanting to include every possible character from the previous games including Dr. Madnar and the MGS3 support team.

Eh... just change L/R2 to L/R triggers. You only miss quick equip/reloading but meh... it's perfectly playable on PSP. But the PSP2 will make it a LOT better if they have touch-screen L/R2 or put the L/R2 on another stick that isn't near the D-pad.

Can't you put L1/R1 to left/right on the analog nub so you still have quick equip?

Omikaru

Plisken calls out her name in his sleep, which could be interpreted either way. What other references are there?

I believe that "In the Darkness of Shadow Moses: The Unofficial Truth", essentially the MGS1 plot synopsis included with MGS2, explicitly states that Snake and Meryl escape alive.

MechaX

Alright, MGS2 down. I can't say I noticed an extreme difference between this and the PS2 version outside of graphics. But I guess MGS3 is going to be where the real changes start to come into play.

But man... MGS3 is going to be tough to go through when considering all the bullshit that MGS4 created.
I will still never forgive Kojima for making all of the support crew into megalomanical maniacs.

Roto13

Alright, MGS2 down. I can't say I noticed an extreme difference between this and the PS2 version outside of graphics. But I guess MGS3 is going to be where the real changes start to come into play.

What real changes are you expecting, exactly? These aren't remakes, you know.

Did they ever address the rear right channel surround sound problem for MGS2 and 3 (PS3 only problem?)?

I was just playing MGS3 today and is still bothered by there not being any sound coming from my rear-right speakers from most (all?) of the cutscenes.

Why on earth would it bother you? They supervised the ports and actually did Peace Walker's port themselves.

It would bother me on some level and on another not. I'm a purist and in the case of Metal Gear I just can't accept it being handled (even in the case of an HD remake) by anything other than Kojipro. I understand all the business reasons as to why it was outsourced..

TheSeks

360, but I got it working.

Ah. I think there's an issue if you Transfer to PSP (is that even possible on 360?) and have some things unlocked there but not unlocked when transferred back to PS3. Like Hideo. Don't quote me on that though.

Also didn't the PSP version with it's "information restriction" ask you to not look at the screen but played the cut-scene anyway? Online in the PS3 port: You don't get to see the cut-scenes. At all. Oh Kojima... :lol

Also the Japanese are crazy hold-up pros. Did Mission 37 twice and got some good soldiers jumping my low level teams up from him and his banana CQC hold-ups. Thanks, dude! <3

Desmond

Ah. I think there's an issue if you Transfer to PSP (is that even possible on 360?) and have some things unlocked there but not unlocked when transferred back to PS3. Like Hideo. Don't quote me on that though.

Also didn't the PSP version with it's "information restriction" ask you to not look at the screen but played the cut-scene anyway? Online in the PS3 port: You don't get to see the cut-scenes.At all. Oh Kojima... :lol

Also the Japanese are crazy hold-up pros. Did Mission 37 twice and got some good soldiers jumping my low level teams up from him and his banana CQC hold-ups. Thanks, dude! <3
Not a hope in hell
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

TheSeks

FUCK. I got enough Stomach Meds that I can't get the plant, and you need to collect all the plants for the trophy and Markhor. FUUUUCK. Now I gotta wait for some food to spoil since I quickly beat the Fear. :|

Top Bottom