• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

IceCold

So is it confirmed that MGS2 is missing som effects (rain and stuff)? I remember reading here that some people had the effects and some didn't.

Yes, but that doesn't make it any less CG since you're first drawn to CG Snake in front of a tree with a nuke explosion in the background.
Actually I would say I was drawn to the face on a account that I frogot what the rest of the cover was and only remembered that part. Hence I jumped to reply that the cover was not CG even though part of it was.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyway, is there a PoW in Ex Op 46 for S-rank Medical? GameFAQs says there is, but I've been all over there and can't find him/her. I want to boost my medical levels quickly to get the Fulton Mine. :|

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Okay, a little farther in this time. I just got passed the scene in MGS2 where
the president reveals information about the Patriots and gets killed by Ocelot.

I'm getting more used to the game's mechanics and controls on the 360, and I'm definitely enjoying it more than I was when I started. Storyline wise there are some serious moments that I get into (The fight with Fatman was the first moment/dialogue I really enjoyed), and I even like the silly stuff. It's not that I hate non-serious storylines, it's just that I didn't expect it from the series, but it's cool, I like it now. I can't fault the game for thinking outside of the box when it comes to the story.

Roto13

I'm getting more used to the game's mechanics and controls on the 360, and I'm definitely enjoying it more than I was when I started. Storyline wise there are some serious moments that I get into (The fight with Fatman was the first moment/dialogue I really enjoyed), and I even like the silly stuff. It's not that I hate non-serious storylines, it's just that I didn't expect it from the series, but it's cool, I like it now. I can't fault the game for thinking outside of the box when it comes to the story.

After you finish the game, read Jeremy Parish's 1up writeup about just how outside the box MGS2's story is. :p

Try to get into the story as much as you can - it's over written and goes in circles - but thematically, it will pay off in the end. Don't carry the initial impression of the game right after you beat it and place them here. I say that because I can virtually guarantee you that your impressions will evolve (be it for the better or worse) over time.

Let it digest, read the analysis linked from this thread, and you'll really appreciate just how far down the rabbit role Kojima went with this game.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Try to get into the story as much as you can - it's over written and goes in circles - but thematically, it will pay off in the end. Don't carry the initial impression of the game right after you beat it and place them here. I say that because I can virtually guarantee you that your impressions will evolve (be it for the better or worse) over time.

Let it digest, read the analysis linked from this thread, and you'll really appreciate just how far down the rabbit role Kojima went with this game.

I know you said not to, but I can't help it. I finished about 20 minutes ago. I liked it a lot.

Keeping my interpretation/impression short: My brain is full of fuck.

-Winnie-

I'm considering getting the EU limited edition, but it'd be mostly for the artbook. It looks like we'll be getting the same one as the US and not the enormously awesome Japanese one. Is the US artbook still good, despite being smaller?

Himself

Quick question, which I had trouble turning up a clear answer to: should I pick it up for ps3 or 360? Any differences? Doesn't matter? Thanks in advance.

MechaX

I'm nearing the end of MGS3, and I'm getting close to starting up Peace Walker. This is pretty much the only MG game I haven't gone through yet, and I have been mostly on media blackout in terms of its story (mostly).

When considering this is a Post-MGS4 Kojima title... exactly how much should I be expecting on the crazy-scale?

PW plot only has one crazy thing that I can remember and even then it's not that crazy, just further shits on a character and plot from three. The rest of the stuff is just more silly then crazy. Nothing on the levels of 4. Its a bit more grounded, more inline with three.

It's also crap, but I wont stop you from playing it. Many people seem to like it for reasons that confound me. Haven't even touched PW HD. Meanwhile I've played through 2 and 3 two times each.

TheSeks

I'm nearing the end of MGS3, and I'm getting close to starting up Peace Walker. This is pretty much the only MG game I haven't gone through yet, and I have been mostly on media blackout in terms of its story (mostly).

When considering this is a Post-MGS4 Kojima title... exactly how much should I be expecting on the crazy-scale?

Like Rah said: It's not that crazy. But it does shit on MGS3, like MGS4 did. So story-wise it's pretty shitty. Gameplay-wise, meanwhile it's fucking awesome and Rah just lives up to his tag.

Also get someone to boost the 20K comrad with you with the end-game perfect stealth missions. Me and LiquidSolid are 10K just farming our levels for me to get the Bandana and him tagging along for the ride. Much better to do than the shitty "Versus Ops"/MGO-on-a-portable-ported-to-console shit that apparently people say is faster. Fuck that, for 200 comrad less and a hell of a lot less time, you can get through a perfect stealth mission in nearly 3 minutes in comparison to vs ops 7-30 mins. Not worth the extra 200 comrad with that long time to get it.

LoL there's nothing good about the gameplay of PW. Even on PSP the game was pathetically easy requiring no thought of how I would play the game. You can really just run up to every guard and cqc them. Hardly any sneaking required. I can't think of any interesting sneaking senerios in this game. What good gameplay! I can only imagine that now that you can actually shoot without fighting the controls the game is beyond a cakewalk and requires no thought. You can probably just sit and take out every guard from the entry point of area.

And then those excellent boss battles that are terribly unbalanced for single player. It was so fun taking them on with my unique strategy of shoot with rocket launcher, hide, throw supply thing, and repeat. What fun fighting bosses that lack any of the personality of past MG games. No, damage sponges are so mich better! And yeah if I want to capture them it of course becomes even more drawn out and boring.

But of course if I want the better gear to make these boss battles actually balanced I have to partake and doing extra missions. Missions that are incredibly boring already. Yes, that's what MG needed, some mission grinding. Plus I just hate this mission structure and like the level strucutre of 1,2, and 3, but I can't really knock that against a portable game.

Of course I could go into co-op. but I hate co-op and I shouldn't have to use. Let alone that I'm in America here and no one has this game on their PSP.

I'm sorry I play MG for fun single player experiences. Not Monster Hunter cash ins. It's just not a good game.

You might get trolled for this opinion, but yeah. Ditto pretty much everything. All this game did was rehash what was perfect in MGS3 and it retroactively hurt Snake Eater. I love its soundtrack, character design, and that's it. It's like being in love with someone that's slowly losing their appeal. :|

Desmond

I forgot about the Camraderie (sp?) trophy.

I read a method to get 1900 points in an extra-op super easily
I'm gonna head straight in PW then when it launches here.Anyone else wanna play then just message.

TheSeks

FUCKING TRADE NETCODE. Y U NO CONNECT US!?

It'll connect (at times) with randoms, but for the most part it's CONNECTION ERROR. CONNECTION ERROR. CONNECTION ERROR. Playing co-op is fine, WTF Konami/Blupoint/Kojima!?

So I finished Snake Eater on PS3, and I have to say, the port was really quite shitty, particularly in the cutscenes. Loved the juicy framerate hit every time Volgin used his lightning.

So my question are the MGS2 and Peace Walker ports just as bad/worse than this one? That's all.

Ridley327

So, one effect causing framerate problems (the same kind of framerate problems on the PS2 at that) negates the fact that for the other 95% of the time, it runs at twice the framerate of the original game? That's "a shitty port"?

Desmond

So I finished Snake Eater on PS3, and I have to say, the port was really quite shitty, particularly in the cutscenes. Loved the juicy framerate hit every time Volgin used his lightning.

So my question are the MGS2 and Peace Walker ports just as bad/worse than this one? That's all.

Go play 3 on the PS2 and come back and say it's a shitty port. I fucking dare ya.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm replaying the entire MGS series right now and I just finished up MGS3. I'm ready to dive into Peace Walker, which I've never really played apart from the opening mission. Is there anything I should know going in? I have to say, starting from the very first MG and plowing my way through has given me a new love for the series even given the batshit craziness. Nay, because of the batshit craziness. I want to enjoy Peace Walker, but I don't want it to taint my positive feelings toward everything else. Thoughts?

I'll take a small framerate drop from something that does not acactually effect the game then the framerate drops of the original. You are crazy. The game looks great and during actual gameplay runs great. There is nothing terrible about the MGS3 HD port. Omg! Some slowdown!

And superior Xbox version ftw.

Desmond

I'll take a small framerate drop from something that does not acactually effect the game then the framerate drops of the original. You are crazy. The game looks great and during actual gameplay runs great. There is nothing terrible about the MGS3 HD port. Omg! Some slowdown!

And superior Xbox version ftw.

Don't make me laugh.

Pressure sensitive buttons ftw.

iLLmAtlc

I was actually quite impressed with the MGS3 port overall. I look specifically to the fight against The Fury. On the PS2 version, the frame rate drops pretty noticeably when the fire starts filling up the room. If you play the PS2 version on your 80GB PS3, The Fury is literally unplayable due to the framerate dropping to what seems like fewer than 10 fps. The framerate during The Fury holds up really well on the MGS3 HD version though and if there was a drop it couldn't have been more than 5 fps.

Only bad thing I have to say about MGS3 HD is the framerate wasn't locked into 60fps and occasionally you will see some slowdowns. But those minor slowdowns are pretty negligible IMO since I can't seem to think about any one area of the game where the framerate goes down noticeably for an extended period of time.

mattp

only issues i had with mgs3 on ps3 were volgin lightning cutscenes. it was like an instant drop to 5fps haha

everythign else was incredible

Ridley327

If any technical aspect of the ports deserves ire, it's whatever they did to the Stinger that causes the smoke it emits to make the framerate hit single digits whenever you fire it in MGS2.

Roto13

If any technical aspect of the ports deserves ire, it's whatever they did to the Stinger that causes the smoke it emits to make the framerate hit single digits whenever you fire it in MGS2.

I'm more annoyed by the load times for codec conversations. That was unexpected and weird.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
LoL there's nothing good about the gameplay of PW. Even on PSP the game was pathetically easy requiring no thought of how I would play the game. You can really just run up to every guard and cqc them. Hardly any sneaking required. I can't think of any interesting sneaking senerios in this game. What good gameplay! I can only imagine that now that you can actually shoot without fighting the controls the game is beyond a cakewalk and requires no thought. You can probably just sit and take out every guard from the entry point of area.

And then those excellent boss battles that are terribly unbalanced for single player. It was so fun taking them on with my unique strategy of shoot with rocket launcher, hide, throw supply thing, and repeat. What fun fighting bosses that lack any of the personality of past MG games. No, damage sponges are so mich better! And yeah if I want to capture them it of course becomes even more drawn out and boring.

But of course if I want the better gear to make these boss battles actually balanced I have to partake and doing extra missions. Missions that are incredibly boring already. Yes, that's what MG needed, some mission grinding. Plus I just hate this mission structure and like the level strucutre of 1,2, and 3, but I can't really knock that against a portable game.

Of course I could go into co-op. but I hate co-op and I shouldn't have to use. Let alone that I'm in America here and no one has this game on their PSP.

I'm sorry I play MG for fun single player experiences. Not Monster Hunter cash ins. It's just not a good game.

I fizzled out going for the 'true ending' as grinding the extra ops for Zeke parts is a total slog in the worst way. I've got seemingly hundreds of parts for Zeke except the vital head parts which never fucking drop, no matter how consistent I am with a strategy for stealing them. It's a backhanded brickwall moment that has made the entire game progression go absolutely limp.

I most enjoyed leveling my crew for new equipment but it really was the only real hook the game offered. The core gameplay was lacking as were the scenarios. A bit absurd really looking back, considering how addicting crew upgrading can be, but it does get really shallow and the game can't compensate well enough by putting absurd limits on the hidden S-rank crew members and again, Zeke drops, you do require.

Still, with a good set of players, the co-op can be a good deal of fun on the boss encounters. Repetitive though, and there is no real incentive for playing that way in the normal campaign missions. With a bad team that just focuses on destruction without thinking of S-ranking, that same joyful experience is just garbage.

So yea, pretty mixed on PW. Not as absolutely heart-wrenching a disappointment as MGS4 though.

iLLmAtlc

I fizzled out going for the 'true ending' as grinding the extra ops for Zeke parts is a total slog in the worst way. I've got seemingly hundreds of parts for Zeke except the vital head parts which never fucking drop, no matter how consistent I am with a strategy for stealing them. It's a backhanded brickwall moment that has made the entire game progression go absolutely limp.

I think you might be mistaken. You didn't need to have all of the Zeke parts and IRC the parts you did need were the very common ones.

I think the main issue with unlocking that stuff was having your base at a sufficient size (through recruits).

Can't believe I didn't realize till last night that THERE IS NOT a trophy for 0 alarms in Snake Eater. I don't know, I wasn't looking forward to ever doing that again after I knocked it out on PS2. Just lots of saving and reloading. Not really fun, just fucking tedious.

Tomasooie

Then how come some people didn't have the effects? Is it due to the different PS3 versions?

It is true, and people have noted that it changes on different playthroughs, so no one's sure what causes it.

Also, the 360 version runs better? Whoa. Well you can't do the knife stab in that version, can you? o_o

jmdajr

I thought I had gone crazy thinking back about the pressure sensitive buttons in metal gear, but sure enough the Xbox doesn't have em.

However, I think the games are much easier this way. It's been tough but I remember it being much harder. Less fuck ups in my opinion.

MechaX

Hm... I can't really put my finger on how I feel about Peace Walker right now.

The story is pretty standard so far; it doesn't show its craziness right out the gate like MGS2 and 4 did. Character and voice wise, eh. But I can definitely tell that David Hayter is at the absolute limit in stretching the "Snake" voice, however. Sometimes it sounds even more ridiculously strained than his MGS4 performance. With that said, having Spanish characters throw in Spanish terms at random does not make for effective, authentic dialogue, Kojima.

Gameplay-wise, I don't know. While there is some appeal in building up a kind of an army, the levels haven't really been that great. Combine that with the fact that the enemies are usually really terrible or Snake's CQC is just really overpowered. And I haven't been able to find people online for coop either.

Hm... I can't really put my finger on how I feel about Peace Walker right now.

The story is pretty standard so far; it doesn't show its craziness right out the gate like MGS2 and 4 did. Character and voice wise, eh. But I can definitely tell that David Hayter is at the absolute limit in stretching the "Snake" voice, however. Sometimes it sounds even more ridiculously strained than his MGS4 performance. With that said, having Spanish characters throw in Spanish terms at random does not make for effective, authentic dialogue, Kojima.

Gameplay-wise, I don't know. While there is some appeal in building up a kind of an army, the levels haven't really been that great. Combine that with the fact that the enemies are usually really terrible or Snake's CQC is just really overpowered. And I haven't been able to find people online for coop either.

jack_nicholson_approve_gif.gif

Yes, yes, join us.

burgerdog

I bought the 360 version today and first thing I did was check a volgin scene, if there's a Framerate drop it's very hard to see. I will play through the rest of the game at some point to see if the game drops FPS where the ps3 version does during gameplay.

I bought the 360 version today and first thing I did was check a volgin scene, if there's a Framerate drop it's very hard to see. I will play through the rest of the game at some point to see if the game drops FPS where the ps3 version does during gameplay.

It dosent really drop in the same places the PS3 version does.

Does anybody play MGS PW online?

Are you on 360 or PS3?

I'm playing on 360 and I'm nearing the end of MGS3, and then I'll be moving onto PW. If you want to add me, we can do PW stuff once I beat MGS3 in the next couple days.

GT: BlastotheHanar

This goes for anyone else who wants to play PW online.

Top Bottom