• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The world exclusive Ultimate Edition was canned back in December, and those who were on the preorder list for it have had it switched to the Collectors Edition automatically. As a gesture of goodwill Zavvi will supply those original 4000 orders with a free copy of MGS4 Platinum Label.

I cancelled my order a few weeks back as I really could not justify paying £70 for an artbook and a T-shirt, not when the original offer was for a numbered steelbook that had MGS 1-4 + PW as a complete package. It was a wise decision as it turns out that the even the steelbook is now just a stickerbook (for the 360 edition at least, PS3 might still have a proper steelbook).

http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5268&page=63
I cancelled my order for 2 copies because of this. The original listing sounded awesome. Treatment changes are awfuland not worth the price. The artbook is exactly like the U.S version and not the superior Japanese version.

Jrmint

Are the cutscenes remastered in HD as well?

I just played the Tanker so far since getting the game and I can't quite tell if they were upgraded as well.

/XX/

So will we Europeans get anything for our long wait as every title since MGS2:SoL has done so.
I have it since yesterday evening and I played a little bit of the three. Sorry, but I haven't noticed any kind of new or special 'not present in the NTSC versions' content on the menus or the games themselves. In fact, in the case of the Spanish captions translation, they have not even corrected some of the blatant typos present on the original editions (I have to admit this surprised me after all these years of protests from some of the fans).

protonion

Got it too. As a huge mgs fan, it pains me to play mgs2 after so long. It has aged really really badly. Also another thing that bothers me -since it was released actually- is it's cut scenes. They suck. What the hell is going on in that Olga matrix like cut scene. Or the one with Ray in the tanker. There is no flow in them. And the dialogue is bad too.

Mgs3 is a masterpiece. Insane details. If you have just played it one or two times, you've probably missed 75% of the stuff you can do in this game.

PW is ok.

The fisrt one will be forever the best!

MechaX

Just finished the main story on Peace Walker (now I have to do the "post-game" chapter). The gameplay remained solid, but unspectacular throughout. The boss battles were at least better than the bosses in MGS2 & 4 (although, Peace Walker itself took a bit longer than I would have liked). The bosses do get into the habit of boiling down to "Snake uses missile launchers, Snake uses M60, Snake uses supply request/support strike, repeat", however.

I was also expecting the story to go off the deep end, but... That oddly never happened.
The entire Boss AI thing sounded quite ridiculous early in the game, but listening to the Strangelove datafiles and how it played out towards the end of the game made it seem less... crazy.
I also appreciate how the story tries to fill in some gaps that were intentionally made vague in MGS3, including
explaining exactly why The Boss disappeared prior to Snake Eater, explaining a little bit more on how she perceived things and the nature of her character, and why The Boss was on the CIA's shit-list.
But with one more chapter, let's see if Crazy-Kojima strikes again.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, this releases in the UK today, but I just want PW, I was hoping it'd be on PSN's next update, but I just looked at the US store and it's not on there yet? Is there any indication of when they'll get DD releases?

Jubern

My buddy just texted me that he cant find a way to play VS online (team deathmatch i guess?).
Was there no online in peace walker??

ps3 btw

There is, on PS3 at least.

It's been I while since I played Peace Walker PS3, but versus ops should be on the main menu of the mother base IIRC. Co-ops, on the other hand, is in the menu selection menu, on another tab.

mxgt

Banned
Hooray, it's finally out. Haven't played MGS2 in 5-6 years, never played MGS3 and Peace Walker so looking forward to it.

Jubern

do you have to play a bit of the SP because he cant seem to find it lol he's freaking out! (he was an mgo addict)

That might be it. The game is pretty barebones at first and most options open while playing the main campaign. Maybe you should check a FAQ or something, there might be detail on how it works.

Pachimari

Just starting playing Xbox 360 review copy as well.

Wow, has it been a long time since I played Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It's #2 on my all-time favorite list, only surpassed by the original Metal Gear Solid. MGS2 has aged real bad though, it could sway my opinion of it - it's gonna be interesting.

And I'm playing this with the HMZ-T1, zoomg!

Clocked in about 6 hours on MGS2, and I can't get over jumping in on Hard mode right away because I'm trying to collect dog tags... Also the limited view and leaning is so awful, no idea how I managed on the PS2!

The world exclusive Ultimate Edition was canned back in December, and those who were on the preorder list for it have had it switched to the Collectors Edition automatically. As a gesture of goodwill Zavvi will supply those original 4000 orders with a free copy of MGS4 Platinum Label.

I cancelled my order a few weeks back as I really could not justify paying £70 for an artbook and a T-shirt, not when the original offer was for a numbered steelbook that had MGS 1-4 + PW as a complete package. It was a wise decision as it turns out that the even the steelbook is now just a stickerbook (for the 360 edition at least, PS3 might still have a proper steelbook).

http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5268&page=63

Oh, that sucks...so I assume the Ultimate edition has just been replaced by the "normal" Zavvi/UK Limited Edition?
There's only ONE EU Limited Edition now and that is it, correct?

TGMIII

So I'm defusing the last real bomb as raiden in the Strut A where you start the game and its location has moved. Rather than being on the underneath of the sub it's on the side of it and I can't spray it from anywhere. Am I missing something?

Edit: Got it. Guess I can't remember what I did 10 years ago as well as I thought I could.

protonion

For the first time I completed the original Metal Gear. I thought it would be the same as the nes version, but this is totally different. It took me 4 hours and it was awesome.

Pure Metal Gear gameplay. That's what I want from the series. Simple stealth mechanics, puzzles, metroidvania like map exploration and equipment that adds another layer of gameplay as you collect it. It blows my mind that this game was released in 1987!
I'd kill for a HD 2D Metal Gear like this. It's not an expensive project and would be ideal as a downloadable title.

So I'm defusing the last real bomb as raiden in the Strut A where you start the game and its location has moved. Rather than being on the underneath of the sub it's on the side of it and I can't spray it from anywhere. Am I missing something?

Edit: Got it. Guess I can't remember what I did 10 years ago as well as I thought I could.

How on earth do you do it? I musta tried about 5 times...

Ingram

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be doing this but I'd really like some help.

I'm a die hard MGS fan and sadly I don't have this collection yet. I wanted to wait for the Vita version but I've seen posts here saying that it won't be coming with Peace Walker? I'm yet to play that game and naturally I wanted to enjoy it on a handheld as it was intended.

I did hear originally that the PS3 version of the HD Collection would come with a PSN download code for PW. Is this true?

Both PS3 and 360 versions have Peacewalker on disc instead of as a DLC voucher..

You're thinking of the Japanese version and the DLC voucher of MGS1.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Both PS3 and 360 versions have Peacewalker on disc instead of as a DLC voucher..

You're thinking of the Japanese version and the DLC voucher of MGS1.

I think the HD version of PW also came with a download voucher for the PSP version at some point in Japan

hitoshi

So, I'm kinda sure that this is not a problem on my end, but I am gonna ask it anyway: does anybody have serious lag issues with the online component of PW with the X360 version? Every 2 or 3 second, the game just freezezes - it does even at the menus and during the cinematics when online mode is enabled. I've tried joining a dozens of Versus and Co-ops, I have hosted myself, but as soon as the connection is online, it instantly starts freezing. Its fairly unplayable. I have a strong internet connection, so I can only assume that its root is a seriously bad netcode.

I am really disappointed by this.

ultron87

Finally picked this up yesterday. Started MGS3.

I struggled with the controls a bit since I hadn't played an old MGS game in awhile and the lack of pressure sensitive buttons on the 360 makes some things require some really stupid hand contortions (like deciding not to fire after you've pulled out your gun).

Then I remembered it was way easier to just slit everybody's throats.

The Sorrow might take me awhile.

OG Kush

I started MGS3 yesterday and still couldn't get past the first "area" with enemies in the jungle. I loved MGS4, but man its gonna take a bit getting used to these controls.. its hard to know when enemies will spot you, and shooting them witha tranquiliser doesn't even work half the time!

I started MGS3 yesterday and still couldn't get past the first "area" with enemies in the jungle. I loved MGS4, but man its gonna take a bit getting used to these controls.. its hard to know when enemies will spot you, and shooting them witha tranquiliser doesn't even work half the time!

The start is the hardest part of MGS3 for me, so keep trying and you'll be good to go later.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, I'm kinda sure that this is not a problem on my end, but I am gonna ask it anyway: does anybody have serious lag issues with the online component of PW with the X360 version? Every 2 or 3 second, the game just freezezes - it does even at the menus and during the cinematics when online mode is enabled. I've tried joining a dozens of Versus and Co-ops, I have hosted myself, but as soon as the connection is online, it instantly starts freezing. Its fairly unplayable. I have a strong internet connection, so I can only assume that its root is a seriously bad netcode.

I am really disappointed by this.

It "freezes" because it's opening a connection a la ad hoc mode of the PSP version.

Only issue with the online is the "lag" when someone from another country joins. Lags the menu, but is fine in-game.

Honestly, easiest thing to do is CQC slam them (they'll hear you and turn around but you can always get them before alarm goes up) then tranq 'em if you plan on being in the area for an extra long time. Knock-out dizzy time is quite a bit longer than Peace Walker though.
Peace Walker you can just hold them up by hitting R1 right next to them and they're are effectively out.

RedSwirl

Just finished off The End. Hell yeah, but I still suck though since I forgot how to make him give up his moss camo after sneaking up on him and got a flash grenade in the face. Still possibly the best boss fight ever.

You know what I like about this game? It deliberately tries to communicate its theming through its gameplay progression. I didn't realize this until relatively recently, but the fight with The End is actually the halfway point of the game, and is also the final jungle area until the very end. That fight is basically the "final exam" of jungle sneaking in MGS3, because after that it's mountains and semi-urban sneaking.

I understand not updating the controls for MGS2, but if they'd updated the layout for this game like they are in the 3DS version this would be one of the best stealth games ever, and probably the best Metal Gear game from a gameplay standpoint.

hitoshi

It "freezes" because it's opening a connection a la ad hoc mode of the PSP version.

Only issue with the online is the "lag" when someone from another country joins. Lags the menu, but is fine in-game.

I have tried with my collegue yesterday who lives 3 blocks away from me and has the same ISP - the lag was there also. It's not an issue on my end. Opening a connection would mean "freezing" for a few seconds, but this is a constant issue.

There is a gamespot topic for this:

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-hd-edition/forum/my-online-game-freezes-every-few-seconds-61862387/

Top Bottom