• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Are you on 360 or PS3?

I'm playing on 360 and I'm nearing the end of MGS3, and then I'll be moving onto PW. If you want to add me, we can do PW stuff once I beat MGS3 in the next couple days.

GT: BlastotheHanar

This goes for anyone else who wants to play PW online.

argh ps3 here.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Geesh, having a rough time with MGS3 in the beginning. Seems a fair bit more difficult than MGS2. Seems cool though, getting a James Bond feel with this agme.

Riposte

Okay... I don't have this game yet, so I haven't really been reading this thread. I still see the thread's title a lot though.

Why isn't it The Solid, the Lightning, and the Naked goddamn it?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Okay... I don't have this game yet, so I haven't really been reading this thread. I still see the thread's title a lot though.

I'm guessing it has to do with the chronological order of the games.

iLLmAtlc

Anyone ever get a "checking hard drive" message when you're in mission prep and picking weapons/items to add in Peace Walker? I thought it was weird because it wasn't happening when I first started playing the game but it's been happening every time recently. It's not a big deal but I just thought it was strange they would even need to check the hard drive on that menu.

Alucrid

Banned
Man, I can't believe people said that these games didn't look any better. MGS3 and 2 look AMAZING compared to when I played them on my PS2 years ago. I mean, really, I have no clue how they can say that.

MechaX

I think I'm at the half-way point or close to 2/3rds through Peace Walker. Just beat
Cocoon.
I got some serious flashbacks to one of the most infamous missions in Valkyria Chronicles on that fight.

While I'm getting slightly sucked in to building up my army and what-not, it's usually boiled down to "This guy has a pretty decent rank in [X], so he's going on this team. This guy sucks, he's going on Mess Hall." Haven't seen anybody online for some coop and I haven't gotten around to dispatching anything just yet.

Also, getting ZEKE parts is tedious as fuck.

Man, I can't believe people said that these games didn't look any better. MGS3 and 2 look AMAZING compared to when I played them on my PS2 years ago. I mean, really, I have no clue how they can say that.

Yep

Why i firmly believe art will ALWAYS trump tech.

See:

Wind Waker
Link to the Past
Snake Eater
Okami

etc.

I've completed MGS2, MGS3 and I'm at Chapter 5 of PW, this collection was amazing, really wish Portable Ops was included after the awesome that PW is at 720p/60fps.

Like Tomat said, chronological order of the games.

Cameron Diaz looks like Big Mama now

ej6Bh.png

if anyone on 360 wants to co-op some time send me a message. my GT:Toonami918. Peace Walker is addictive. I could not put this game down during the weekend and Going for S ratings is fun.

Also for collecting Zeke parts is it better to just focus on the AI pods or shoot other parts for them to show up when board collecting?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Hey did Transfarring get included in the US release? Been playing Peace Walker for the first time on the bus. I'd love to explore this fabulous new feature and pick up my saved game right where I left off, but I head somewhere it wasn't coming in the U.S. version...

Omikaru

Unboxing of Zavvi limited edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-FyhlgPutk&feature=player_embedded

seems like you get the steelbook in addition to the normal case.

Holy. Shit. I wish I had £70 right about now, but that's more than double of what I'm currently paying for the regular old HD Collection. If there's one thing that Kojima Productions gets right, it's the visual aesthetic of their products. I had the MGS1, MGS2 (still got) and MGS3 Premium Packages back in the day, and they were brilliant boxsets.

Very few series can push me to buy a Limited Edition, but MGS is one of them.

Roto13

Hey did Transfarring get included in the US release? Been playing Peace Walker for the first time on the bus. I'd love to explore this fabulous new feature and pick up my saved game right where I left off, but I head somewhere it wasn't coming in the U.S. version...

Transfarring was included but a save file started on the PSP won't unlock trophies.

Cels

So I'm buying this at some point, probably later rather than sooner since I have a pretty big backlog and I've already played all of these games on their original platforms.

That said, which version is the one to get? I don't care about Xbox having 2 discs as opposed to only 1 disc on PS3, don't care about Transfarring. Are the Pressure sensitive-less controls on Xbox ok? I've read in this thread about framerate problems in the PS3 version while fighting Volgin - is this true? And missing rain effects - if this is also true are they missing on both platforms?

Basically, are performance/visuals the same on both platforms?

Ridley327

The framerate regarding Volgin's lightning only affects the cutscenes, just like they did on the PS2. The actual fights with him run as smooth as you could hope for.

Ridley327

Question. I know the series gets flack for the cutscenes, but are there really the 10-15min long ones? If so, I don't think I can be bothered with that.

Yeah, there's definitely some pretty major cutscenes that go on for a while, moreso in MGS2 than either MGS3 or Peace Walker. They're all skippable, if that matters.

Yeah, there's definitely some pretty major cutscenes that go on for a while, moreso in MGS2 than either MGS3 or Peace Walker. They're all skippable, if that matters.

Yes it does. Good to know.

I never played the games back in the day, although I do remember playing the MGS1 demo but that was it.

Feels like I should give it another chance, considering how revered it is in some quarters

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Transfarring was included but a save file started on the PSP won't unlock trophies.

Hmmm. If I restart on PS3 and then do something on PSP that would unlock a trophy, do I miss out on it when I Transfar back?

Ridley327

Hmmm. If I restart on PS3 and then do something on PSP that would unlock a trophy, do I miss out on it when I Transfar back?

Yes and sorta no; general progress stuff like clearing a chapter transfers over just fine, but specific trophies like CQCing six guys in a row or reading Huey's love letter won't.

Imbarkus

Yes and sorta no; general progress stuff like clearing a chapter transfers over just fine, but specific trophies like CQCing six guys in a row or reading Huey's love letter won't.

Huh. Less than ideal, but probably still acceptable.

Sony has needed some sort of "trophy catch-up" function ever since they patched them into Uncharted. Probably not Konami's issue I'm guessing. Whelp if I'm not going to get them all I may as well continue my PSP save.

Thanks for the info!

Ra1den

Yes it does. Good to know.

I never played the games back in the day, although I do remember playing the MGS1 demo but that was it.

Feels like I should give it another chance, considering how revered it is in some quarters

The cutscenes and particularly the codec calls build rapport with the charcters. They should be savored, and not thought of as a hassle.

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread. Has anyone else gotten MGS2's platinum?

I've got all three. MGS2 took about a month to get because finishing it five times and then going through all the VR Missions was super repetitive and boring. MGS3 on the other hand is probably the easiest platinum I've got.

Ugh, I really wish I'd ordered that Zavvi special edition now. I love steelbook cases.

Do we have any ETA of when PSVita is going to drop?
I really wanna play through all of these but am finding it hard to find the time to do so. I tend to get alot more playtime in with portable games.

Like i'm STILL working on Snake Eater and am tempted to even check out the 3DS version ....mostly for the new mechanics/controls, though i'm worried it will break the difficulty.

Jrmint

Are there any performance issues on PS3 vs. 360?

I was most likely gonna get it on PS3 due to familiarity with the controller with these games in the past, but wanted to double check.

kirby2096

Had my card charged for the Zavvi "Ultimate" edition little while ago.
Now what are the chances something's going to go wrong and I won't get it? (it's shipping from UK to US)

edit: The "Ultimate" version is the one that was limited to like 500 worldwide, right?
Zavvi has another edition but it's not as rare, that's the one the video is about http://www.zavvi.com/games/platform...limited-edition-zavvi-exclusive/10532517.html

The world exclusive Ultimate Edition was canned back in December, and those who were on the preorder list for it have had it switched to the Collectors Edition automatically. As a gesture of goodwill Zavvi will supply those original 4000 orders with a free copy of MGS4 Platinum Label.

I cancelled my order a few weeks back as I really could not justify paying £70 for an artbook and a T-shirt, not when the original offer was for a numbered steelbook that had MGS 1-4 + PW as a complete package. It was a wise decision as it turns out that the even the steelbook is now just a stickerbook (for the 360 edition at least, PS3 might still have a proper steelbook).

http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5268&page=63

Pachimari

How are the 3D effects in this collection?

Metal Gear Solid is my all-time favorite series and I just got myself a HMZ-T1 some weeks ago.

ultron87

Random question before I probably go finally grab this after work:

Are cutscenes pausable in this?

I feel like they weren't in the originals.

Top Bottom