• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

iLLmAtlc

Does the idea of S-Ranking missions in Peace Walker seem more reasonable once everything is upgraded? It seems pretty intimidating at the point I'm at (just beat the tank).

If we're talking about main story missions, those will be an absolute cake walk once your gear is good enough. You're going to be able to put down the tanks with like 2-3 rocket shots believe it or not!

Some of those Extra Ops tank/mech battles are extremely difficult to S-Rank though and I remember people talking about how some were pretty much impossible unless you played co-op.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does the idea of S-Ranking missions in Peace Walker seem more reasonable once everything is upgraded? It seems pretty intimidating at the point I'm at (just beat the tank).

Yes, once you start getting rank 2-5 gear it'll be easier. I forget if there is a heroism/achievement bonus for some of the weapons being "fully used" level 3 though. So right now I'm grinding the Mk22 rank 1 up to level 3 usage which is a PITA on higher level main missions. :/

SHAZOOM

So Volgin.... doesn't say KUWABARA KUWABARA anymore? I don't know whether to like or hate this.

It was sort of weird that it was in MGS3 to begin with, but now I'm so used to it, it feels kind of wrong for him not to say it.

Also, jumping from PW to MGS3 isn't a good idea. So many times where I was clicking L1+R1 to aim in MGS3 when I should have been R1+square.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So Volgin.... doesn't say KUWABARA KUWABARA anymore? I don't know whether to like or hate this.
Whaaaaaaat? Explain this to me please. What the hell does he say instead? And why'd they change?

legacyzero

Banned

It was sort of weird that it was in MGS3 to begin with, but now I'm so used to it, it feels kind of wrong for him not to say it.

Also, jumping from PW to MGS3 isn't a good idea. So many times where I was clicking L1+R1 to aim in MGS3 when I should have been R1+square.
Ummm. WHAT? He says that like 5 times.

EDIT: on the 360 version

SHAZOOM

Honestly, I didn't hear it on my current playthrough at all. He doesn't say anything. Mind you I may just be blanking when he does say it (pretty early this morning), and I had the game freeze during the cutscene where Snake meets the Boss on the bridge.

Also, damn is this game purdy. Same with MGS2. Both look so good with a with almost no aliasing that I can notice. Also, cutting grass in MGS3 never looked so good.

iLLmAtlc

I can confirm in the PS3 version that he said it during the bridge at the beginning, in the cut scene. I haven't made it very far in the game yet though.

TheSeks

I can confirm in the PS3 version that he said it during the bridge at the beginning, in the cut scene. I haven't made it very far in the game yet though.

Correct he does say it.

Also reading that "Reality of MGS2" Youtube link of Snake Soup and some of Snake Soup's articles about Peace Walker/Port Ops, I remember how much I hate how MGS2 never explained shit and thus the consistent fuck-over of the timeline/canon of the Metal Gear universe for Kojima that continuously happens and how much I enjoyed MGS3 being a refreshing change of pace (having a consistent ending and no time line fuck ups...
UNTIL MGS4 WHERE EVERYONE IS A PATRIOT FROM MGS3!
). :|

Still enjoy Peace Walker, but reading the articles about how Port Ops is kinda forgotten and it still being part of canon due to the start-up funds of Gene (whatever DID happen to that?) just goes to prove that Kojima should really sit down and write out a time-line in addition to future plans.

I already unlocked the EZ Gun on this normal file. But I'm worried abusing the tranq guns will have the motorcycle crashes/etc. count as kills. :/

1. Defeat Volgin non-lethally

2. Obtain Cold War camo

3. Turn around on the bike and face your enemies

4. ???

5. Profit like a boss

TheSeks

Oy, that stupid button mashing segment. Thankfully, had someone in co-op save me to where I continued the game. Only have four more main ops missions before the end. But I forget how you unlock
Chapter 5
for Peace Walker.

areal

Oy, that stupid button mashing segment. Thankfully, had someone in co-op save me to where I continued the game. Only have four more main ops missions before the end. But I forget how you unlock
Chapter 5
for Peace Walker.
Do some Extra Ops.

iLLmAtlc

Chapter 5
for Peace Walker.

This was driving me crazy when I was playing it on the PSP but I eventually got it by recruiting like mad and playing extra ops missions. I'm pretty sure your base has to reach a certain level before it opens up.

Yen

Chapter 5
for Peace Walker.
You should stop playing now and pretend there is no chapter 5

TheSeks

You should stop playing now and pretend there is no chapter 5

Yes, but I need the achievement. ;____;

So stupid I can't slap my PSP save in and just gain all of them since I have a damn near complete file there.

I did it on my no-kill run. You may get hit a few times if the enemies are to the sides a bit, but that's what helped me get "PEACE WALKER".

yeah, but its more fun to shoot all the chasing enemies with the Mk.22 :p It is silly that you can even shoot the flying enemies and they clearly crash into the trees and explode :D but they dont count as you dont directly kill them...they just..happen to sleep on the wheel... :D

yeah, but its more fun to shoot all the chasing enemies with the Mk.22 :p It is silly that you can even shoot the flying enemies and they clearly crash into the trees and explode :D but they dont count as you dont directly kill them...they just..happen to sleep on the wheel... :D

It's funnier just to watch this adrenaline-fueled bike chase unfold in which Snake just stares at them while they follow you and occasionally swear.

Vercimber

Just two trophies from my first Platinum--Peace Walker, which wasn't easy! If anybody wants help in S-Ranking co-op missions, feel free to add me: PSN name is Vercimber.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I just finished MGS1, and I think I'm going to pick up the HD Collection today.

But really, what the hell did I just play?

I think the image perfectly describes my thoughts:
lBQW7.png

It was interesting, don't get me wrong, but wow, off the wall shit.

MechaX

Have you played the other MGS games before? Because if you thought MGS1 had off the wall shit... Just wait until MGS2.

Emily Chu

Banned
So I just finished MGS1, and I think I'm going to pick up the HD Collection today.

lBQW7.png

did u play twin snakes or the original ?

Tomat

Have you played the other MGS games before? Because if you thouth5 MGS1 had off the wall shit... Just wait until MGS2.

No I haven't, first time playing through a MGS game. I need to check a wiki synopsis or something, so much crap happened, I don't even remember it all.

did u play twin snakes or the original ?

Original, I have the PS1/PS2 copy from my bro.

NIGHT-

lBQW7.png

Really? MGS games in general are off the wall. But MGS1 isn't that bad at all. Compared to most games out today it's tame. Unless you're playing Twin Snakes, which is garbage. MGS1 is probably my favorite game of all time, behind Soul Reaver and Silent Hill

Tomat

I guess coming from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which felt really grounded to me, MGS came off as a lot more dramatic and eccentric in a lot of ways.

Get out while you can. Of the series, I mean, not the thread.

It's not that I didn't have fun with it, because I did. Originally the game felt like it was taking a super serious approach, but when you get into some of the character's background stories, the ninja, and the wackiness of some of the bosses it wasn't exactly what I expected given the beginning of the game.

rvy

Banned

lBQW7.png

Get out while you can. Of the series, I mean, not the thread.

MechaX

I guess coming from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which felt really grounded to me, MGS came off as a lot more dramatic and eccentric in a lot of ways.

I dunno, even in comparison to most of the cheesy action flicks of recent decades, MGS1 is pretty straight-forward throughout. The last third of the game more has a pretty far-fetched plot-twist and Psycho Mantis is still kind of crazy, but it works.

But if you liked MGS1, you might as well get the HD Collection to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Tomat

I probably shouldn't have used "Full Retard" on that graph. I was referring to how wacky some things get. The story does work, but like MechaX said, toward the end of the game it's pretty crazy.

TheSeks

If I start a new PeaceWalker game on PS3 and then move it to PSP, will that disable trophies?

No, but I can't tell you if unlocking some things (like Hideo) on PSP will disable the achievement. Just to be safe: Unlock the achievements on PS3 before crossing the lines that require them (like story chapter clear/Hideo/etc).

TheSeks

MGS1 is no-where near batshit mental. You want full moron: Go play MGS2.

(And leave my waifu MGS3 out of this discussion. She's a lovely bell that is a campy 1960 James Bond/Spy Spoof even with the supernatural shit)

Whoops, double post.

Desmond

If I start a new PeaceWalker game on PS3 and then move it to PSP, will that disable trophies?

Nope, though there have been cases where some don't unlock but when you go from PS3-PSP and not the other way they unlock.

No, but I can't tell you if unlocking some things (like Hideo) on PSP will disable the achievement. Just to be safe: Unlock the achievements on PS3 before crossing the lines that require them (like story chapter clear/Hideo/etc).
If the save is started on PS3, trophies will unlock

Tomat

MGS1 is no-where near batshit mental. You want full moron: Go play MGS2.

(And leave my waifu MGS3 out of this discussion. She's a lovely bell that is a campy 1960 James Bond/Spy Spoof even with the supernatural shit)

Whoops, double post.

Is it full moron in a good way?

Tomat

I'll bite, gameplay was fun enough and I don't think you can go wrong with three games for $40

Ridley327

From what I've read, story progress trophies will unlock just fine, but the very specific ones like completing a trade or pulling off six CQC takedowns in a row won't.

The one for trading can be a giant pain in the ass because the netcode for it is completely unreliable most of the time.

TheSeks

Is it full moron in a good way?

I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!

Take from that what you will.

Ridley said:
>>Trading<<

I still need that acheivement and the versus OP all rules one but no one plays either of those (for good reason). :|

TheSeks

Versus Ops/MGO continues to be awful.

Got the achievement. Not touching that shit ever, EVER again.

Now that leaves Trades, which I nearly had until someone backed out. :| And 20K camaraderie. How the fuck are you supposed to get 20K with a 50 person limit? And is there some exploit to gain massive amounts? What does it even count anyway!?

NeoUltima

Peace Walker is awesome, especially considering it's a psp game.
spoiler (kinda) :
'second' ending blew my mind. Did not see that coming. Thought the story was over.

Never even touched the multiplayer.

TheSeks

Never even touched the multiplayer.

WTF, I saw your ass online yesterday but couldn't join your co-op because connection was refused. :|

And yes, Peace Walker is awesome. Online was SORELY needed and it's good it's here in the PS3 version.

Whoo-hoo. Got my trade achievement. Leaves the stupid 20K camaraderie achievement and then I can play Peace Walker solo.

RetroMG

Started Peace Walker today and so far I am completely loving it. I think it's going to find a permanent home on my PSP Go in the near future.

Top Bottom