• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Card Boy

Banned
Picked this up last November, but finally got to finishing Snake Eater. WOW! In HD, It's like playing the game for the first time. Just so god damned good. I think I'm moving on to Peace Walker next (which I've never played)

As far as timeline, is this how it goes?

MGS3
Peace Walker
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

If you want the full list in chronological order.

MGS3
MGS: Portal Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

I play in release order though. Metal Gear 1&2 are included with MGS3 in the main menu.

Sajjaja

Just finished MGS3.................... This game............was phenomenal. I thought #4 was awesome , but #3... the storyline was utterly amazing. The Boss is easily one of my favourite characters of all time. A buddy of mine keeps singing "I GAVE MY LIFE, NOT FOR HONOUR, BUT FOR YOU!" It's so beautiful.....

I am speechless............

theboss.jpg

Mr. Fix

Just finished MGS3.................... This game............was phenomenal. I thought #4 was awesome , but #3... the storyline was utterly amazing. The Boss is easily one of my favourite characters of all time. A buddy of mine keeps singing "I GAVE MY LIFE, NOT FOR HONOUR, BUT FOR YOU!" It's so beautiful.....

I am speechless............

theboss.jpg

Hah, I just beat it last night too. The whole end segment was amazing. When the MGS theme started playing before the Shagohod battle, I was hyped and in awe. I'm gonna buy MGS1 on psn soon, but I'm thinking about playing MG1 & 2 since it's right there. How long are these 2 classics?

Sajjaja

Hah, I just beat it last night too. The whole end segment was amazing. When the MGS theme started playing before the Shagohod battle, I was hyped and in awe. I'm gonna buy MGS1 on psn soon, but I'm thinking about playing MG1 & 2 since it's right there. How long are these 2 classics?

Apparently MG2 is roughly 4-6 hours. I'm gonna get MGS1 on the original PSX. I don't wanna get it on PSN, I've played it on my PC though.

strafer

I gave in to temptation and bought the collection. It was worth every penny.

Hearing the Metal Gear Solid 2 theme again was pure brilliance, as was the intro on the bridge.

Best collection ever made.

Thank you based Kojima.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think I'm done with S-ranking all the customs. >_< Unless there is more after mission 9 unlocks some extra EX Ops.

Worst part of the game along with the AI Type-2 and Customs easily.

dc89

Finished MGS3 today. I bought it launch day on PS2 and it's still every bit as captivating, emotional and gripping today as it was then.

The way the narrative and characters hold up after many years is testament to Kojima, he was way ahead of his time. This game is and alway will be a timeless classic.

pa22word

Hey does anyone know if installing the game(s) to the HDD on the 360 version improves performance in any way? I play MGS at a maddening pace (I like to shoot for BB/FH emblems), so any improvement whatsoever is a big plus for me.

Apologies if this has been answered many a times before!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Playing Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater now.
It is as though I am playing it for the first time. Really great work in remaking this.

braves01

Banned
Messing around with the demo theater in MGS 2 yields some pretty funny stuff. Spoilers for those who haven't finished:
For the bridge scene, I put the Twin Snakes model snake in for Fortune, Gray Fox in for Vamp, Raiden in for the SEALs, and the old PSX model Snake in for Raiden, resulting in a.) old Snake looking at new Snake and saying "what the hell is that?!" b.) new snake blowing up a bridge full of Raidens, and c.) Gray Fox whispering, "My queen" in snake's ear.
It really tickled my MGS funny bone.

I also started Peace Walker, which has been great so far except for a few things. The bosses are pretty turrible, and all seem to break down into firing rockets at enemy soldiers until the captain pops out and calling in supply drops whenever ammo runs low. The characters all seem pretty bland too, but I haven't listened to all the briefing files so maybe that changes. Otherwise, the story has been palatable. The comic cut scenes are awesome though.

Amory

Picked up the collection today.

It's weird, I don't consider myself to be a huge fan of the MGS series in general, but I very rarely play through games more than one time and I've played MGS and MGS 2 at least 3 or 4 times each. I just get caught up in the drama, even though a lot of the time I have no idea what's going on with the minutiae of the plot.

I've never played Snake Eater (or Peace Walker for that matter, but idk if I'll ever actually get to that) and I'm already getting into the feel of the story, even though I'm only about a half hour in. But my god, these controls. I remember them being pretty awkward but after getting so used to modern control schemes this feels totally unwieldy. It's easily the biggest obstacle in the game.

Especially going from MGS4 which has a wonderful control scheme, in my opinion anyway. I also played MGO a lot before getting this collection, so it took some time to become comfortable with those controls again when replaying MGS2/3.

Tobe

so i got the 360 version of this, and its my first game where it has 2 discs, how does the installation works?

Roto13

I just started playing Snake Eater 3D on 3DS and I can see how there's room for both the 3D and HD versions in the libraries of big fans of the game like myself. There's enough new with the controls and interface to keep it from feeling like the exact same game in a lower resolution.

It's basically if Peace Walker Snake went back in time and did the Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater. :p

It's not that bad once you get the hang of it and total cake once you get Stealth.

F$#@in
Snake....
keeps dying at
the end of Arsenal Gear
after the Sypher spots you.

Just Extreme to go after I beat the stupid MGRs.

About halfway through on Hard.

I think it's pretty easy at this point except for the MGRs. Still have a tough time with those.

Have fun with them on extreme. There's basically no room for error. I think you can get hit once and survive as long as you have a ration or two, but after that it's over. I recommend watching a Big Boss run video for that fight. There are some good strategy's out there.

Gazzawa

Hanging tough for a price drop on this. Cheapest is circa £27 or €36. Will pick up at about €30 or less. Looks like a fantastic investment.

Danny 117

Need a peace walker co-op buddy for whenever missions get tough on me :(

Add xDanny 117 if interested.

Also, if anyone wants to throw me a sweet staff member or some supplies....

;)

Have fun with them on extreme. There's basically no room for error. I think you can get hit once and survive as long as you have a ration or two, but after that it's over. I recommend watching a Big Boss run video for that fight. There are some good strategy's out there.

I've been trying to. Can't find any on YT or they won't load.

It's going to be a pain in the ass. Ughhh. I don't know how I did it back when.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can you install this game on the PS3?

PowderedToast

MGS2 is just phenomenal, what a game. i enjoy the two subsequent entries a lot but part of me wishes they were never made. the MGS1+MGS2 combination is perfect, nothing more needed to be said. it was over.

MGS2 is just phenomenal, what a game. i enjoy the two subsequent entries a lot but part of me wishes they were never made. the MGS1+MGS2 combination is perfect, nothing more needed to be said. it was over.

Having just completed MGS3 for the first time, I have to disagree. MGS3 is damn near the pinnacle of story telling in video games, and while I appreciate MGS2 for it's "No one can be Solid Snake" angle, I'm going to go back to MGS1 and 2 wishing I had CQC and a deeper story.

I mostly agree.

MGS3 is a great game on the whole but the story sets up some crappy narrative decisions in MGS4 so I kind of hate it.

I really wish MGS4 had been a sequel to MGS2, no aging Snake and gameplay is 40% Raiden, 60% Snake.

braves01

Banned
Having just completed MGS3 for the first time, I have to disagree. MGS3 is damn near the pinnacle of story telling in video games, and while I appreciate MGS2 for it's "No one can be Solid Snake" angle, I'm going to go back to MGS1 and 2 wishing I had CQC and a deeper story.

CQC is okay, and the story is undoubtedly the best in the series, but the cure mechanic and the stamina gauge are just tedious. I don't think camo is that great an addition either. MGS3 is just a little too complex for its own good by my estimation.

PowderedToast

does anyone else think there was a slight drop in character animation quality between 2 and 3? the animation in 2 is incredibly smooth and fluent, it's some of my favourite ever - whereas in 3 it feels a lot stiffer and less expressive in some way. i wonder if there was actually a staff change that caused this?

I beat MGS3 a few weeks ago and then moved onto MGS2.

At first I was a bit dissapointed because they really did improve over MGS2 in 3 with the gameplay, camera and graphics departments.

But then as I started getting into it and got used to the camera I'm falling in love with it all over again.

jsnepo

Can you play this in 4:3? I only got an SDTV here and I don't want to have black bars during gameplay like MGS4 and Uncharted.

Desmond

Can you play this in 4:3? I only got an SDTV here and I don't want to have black bars during gameplay like MGS4 and Uncharted.

I don't think so. MGS2 cannot be finished on an SDTV due to a glitch.

Unrelated, my copy arrived. Our PAL manual is very well done; full-colour, artwork, the whole shebang. If anyone wants to get camarderie on PSN add me. I won't be able to play for a while though.

Top Bottom