• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

braves01

Banned
But that was 11 years ago ^^
Call me stupid but Silent Hill 2 (same year) is the better looking HD (!) game, imo

I compare them because I play the SH HD Collection at the same time

You are stupid. And the patch added a "to game select" option on peace walker so you don't have to quit the game any more to get back to mgs2 or mgs3.

beak-doo-san-albums-silent-hill-picture1272-silent-hill-2.jpg

sh2_inn.jpg

mgs2.jpg

img_1_pr.jpg

SH 2 looks better imo.

But: I'll try to calm down and finish MGS 2 but this controls....woah...and the camera..:eek:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
MGS3 looks fantastic, the frame-rate fluctuations aren't ideal but considering the PS2 original was far from a solid 30 I can deal with it happily.

Its clear to me that a lot of care and attention has gone into this package, which makes the sad fate of Silent Hill even more annoying.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MGS3 looks fantastic, the frame-rate fluctuations aren't ideal but considering the PS2 original was far from a solid 30 I can deal with it happily.

Its clear to me that a lot of care and attention has gone into this package, which makes the sad fate of Silent Hill even more annoying.

bluepoint has standards. they're not always 100% but they clearly understand how important accuracy is and take their jobs very seriously. the SH collection was pitched to a bunch of nobodies with zero console dev experience.

MMaRsu

I just bought this,starting mgs3 now... i havent played it in ages. I seriously cannot wait. Never played mgs2 or PW. Finished mgs3 years ago.

Or should i play mgs2?

MMaRsu

Well i finished mgs3. I just started pw and snake cant crawl WTFFF?? Makes no sense.. does anybody still read this topic?

MMaRsu

Something that really bothers me about snake in PW, why does he not hold a combat knife? I thought it was essential in cqc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
crawl around like a snake and always change your camo ...

Not even that. Just go slowly and first person view. Once you get the Mk25 you're pretty gravy. Esp. when you get to the warehouse and can get free suppressors, basically.

Mmar said:
Wtf.. great i picked mgs1. Worth the restart?

No. Since you can get them beating the game. It's not really important stuff since it's like brown camo and all that.

Well i finished mgs3. I just started pw and snake cant crawl WTFFF?? Makes no sense.. does anybody still read this topic?

You have to remember: Peace Walker is a PSP game just upported and "HD"ized for PS3 with the camera and aiming being moved to the right stick. That's it. They didn't have the ability to allow crawling in PW on PSP so it isn't here on PS3.

(Though, it's weird because IIRC you can crawl in Port Ops...)

MMaRsu

I understand its a psp game but no crawling makes no sense, and i just dislike the whole no knife thing. Playing PW after 3 is not a good idea haha. I might start two soon, never played that..

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Peace Walker has crouch walking which is better than crawling.

And you're playing them in the wrong order.

He's just saving the best for last.

and I thought the crawl removal was a pacing thing. That's one thing I liked about PW actually.

Synless

My buddy just got back from Kuwait and we started playing Peace Walker and we are having an issue. When cutscenes occur only one of us can see it, the other person gets some kind of message. Is this by design? Can it be fixed?

Vercimber

This is perhaps some of the highest level play possible in MGS3, for those interested (Foxhound Rank in European Extreme):

Link to Episode 1: http://youtu.be/nWU5YaUkh8w

Link to Episode 2: http://youtu.be/5pEeFD5JnNY

Link to Episode 3: http://youtu.be/OS4blONXMBQ

And you know we have to give props to someone who apparently enjoys God Hand: http://youtu.be/wy27Qbw5bBQ

These videos were created by James Howell, whose voice is easy on the ears and whose skills--in my opinion--are quite amazing. He's meticulous and illustrative in his approach--both in the play and in his descriptions.

Fun to watch.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, I was playing Peace Walker on my PS3. I went to the online portion, and did a search of servers.

It told me only 19 people were playing. This right? 19?

Roto13

Finally convinced my friend to pick this up so we started playing Peace Walker co-ops last night. I've finished the game already, but I've only played co-ops a few times and only with randoms so this is good.

been awhile since ive played this game. so i have just one question.

im currently playing in normal mode (plant chapter now)

and have a total of 30 dog tags. if i finish the game with less than required to get the stealth, can i just replay ( by playing the same file) the plant chapter and get the missing ones?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm going to start peace walker for the first time ever within the next few days. Does the ps3 version have reworked controls? I imagine it must have been a nightmare to control on psp with only 1 stick like most 3D games were.

Mikey Jr.

I'm going to start peace walker for the first time ever within the next few days. Does the ps3 version have reworked controls? I imagine it must have been a nightmare to control on psp with only 1 stick like most 3D games were.

Plays great. You lose some stuff though. Cant wall-walk, or crawl. Other than that, its good.

The gameplay is already vastly superior to MGS4. It has actual....you know...sneaking! Unlike MGS4 which was all pew-pew-pew.

The story is kinda ho-hum. MGS needs grand cinematics. These ones are just short little snippets. Not really invested in the story like I usually am.

Derrick01

Banned
Plays great. You lose some stuff though. Cant wall-walk, or crawl. Other than that, its good.

The gameplay is already vastly superior to MGS4. It has actual....you know...sneaking! Unlike MGS4 which was all pew-pew-pew.

The story is kinda ho-hum. MGS needs grand cinematics. These ones are just short little snippets. Not really invested in the story like I usually am.

You can't crawl at all? That's kind of weird. Glad to hear it's not like 4 though, I can't flush the memory of that game away fast enough. I read the original IGN review and I liked what I read on paper at least about all of the collecting and open ended stuff. Seems like an interesting experiment.

Just bought this yesterday, don't think I've played MGS2 since I was 15, still my favourite MGS <3 . Kojima lost some respect from me when he fucked Raiden up in MGS4 as a way of saying sorry to the fans.

MGS3 in HD looks glorious. I can honestly say that I would prefer it if games ran at 60FPS and looked like this rather than at 25FPS with current gen graphics.

Fry

Getting this in a few days. It'll be glorious to play them again.

Reading the last few pages, and I can see MGS3 looks fantastic. What about MGS2?

Kazzy

Playing through Peace Walker has killed me. I had already played the PSP original, but really wanted to experience it upgraded (Dat 60fps!).

The main story was still fine, even if waiting for a friend to grind out the final Zadarnov missions in Chapter 5 was a reminder of just how baffling a design decision that still is. The post game content is fairly cool, but the plethora of mech missions just serves to kill any enthusiasm I once had to finish Extra-Ops. It's a shame as the other objectives do get creative, and it's simply a exstension of the insanity of the earlier games VR-missions.

At last count, I think I had about 5 of the mech challenges left, but I don't think I can bear to go back to it. It's a shame really, especially as I got to the point where I had exhausted all other options and had to tackle all those vehicle battles in one big lump. Ridiculous.

On a semi-related note, I've been playing through MGS on my PSP. The game holds up solidly on the PSP screen, and its a testament to just how effective its art-style is. It's quite surreal how different a character Solid Snake is too, cracking jokes one minute, only to give a gruff eulogy the next!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Pro Tip: Comradere Trophy Peace Walker

EX OPS 91

Player One: Railgun, Fulton Launcher, Rations
Player Two: Railgun Charger, Fulton Launcher, Rations

Go behind the far shipping container and have player two fully charge the player one railgun. Have player one shoot the window of the helicopter. One shot will cause the pilot to come out. You need to hit the window! Both players switch to the Fulton Launcher and take the pilot out.

Both players need to be in the CoOps circle (yellow). The Max Com points you get is 650. STAY CLOSE MOTHERFUCKERS! In a couple hours you have the trophy. Easy as pie.

Getting this in a few days. It'll be glorious to play them again.

Reading the last few pages, and I can see MGS3 looks fantastic. What about MGS2?

MGS2 looks really good too, particularly the rare moments where the camera moves behind you, seeing it running at 60FPS is a revelation. I was even impressed by Peace Walker, it has some really nice textures and reflections going on.

The most impressive thing I've seen from the HD collection is the Snake character model from MGS3, it blew me away with its level of detail.

Fry

MGS2 looks really good too, particularly the rare moments where the camera moves behind you, seeing it running at 60FPS is a revelation. I was even impressed by Peace Walker, it has some really nice textures and reflections going on.

The most impressive thing I've seen from the HD collection is the Snake character model from MGS3, it blew me away with its level of detail.

Excellent, thank you! Boy, the prospect of MGS 2 and 3 in HD might be more exciting than anything I've played this generation.

Got this today. The Zone of the Enders news reminded me that I never bought it when it came out earlier this year.

I used to have MGS2 by I swapped it with someone at school for Uncharted 1. I never was able to swap it back, and I was very angry. As for MGS3, I played it up until The End, but my old fat PS2's disk drive was busted and scratched up the disk, and now I can't play any MGS3 on my PS2.

I started playing MSG3 again today, 5 hours so far. I fucking love it.

metalshade

Hi guys, looking for some advice.
I really enjoyed the early top down Metal Gears, and since then I havent had A Sony console, so I missed out on the rest. I recently had the chance to sit down and play through the entirety of MGS4, and I absolutely hated it. So awful.
So I was wondering if the Vita Metal Gear solid collection would be worth it to me or not?
I understand the Vita and PS360 versions have different content?
Vita is the only Sony console I own.
Opinions?

jsnepo

Hi guys, looking for some advice.
I really enjoyed the early top down Metal Gears, and since then I havent had A Sony console, so I missed out on the rest. I recently had the chance to sit down and play through the entirety of MGS4, and I absolutely hated it. So awful.
So I was wondering if the Vita Metal Gear solid collection would be worth it to me or not?
I understand the Vita and PS360 versions have different content?
Vita is the only Sony console I own.
Opinions?

If you like the top down camera then I'm sure you'll love MGS2 for its gameplay. MGS3's camera can also be toggled between 3d like MGS4 and top down like MGS2.

Tizoc

Any tips for beating the Sniper section with Raiden in MGS2 without triggering the alarms?
That part of the game is irritating...

jsnepo

A friend is asking if a Peace Walker save created from a PS3 was transferred to the PSP and had trophy stuff unlocked will unlock trophies when transferred back to the PS3?

Fry

Itens are not showing up in Metal Gear Solid 3. I get new weapon/equipment in the beginning of the game but they don't show in my backpack. Is this normal?

Top Bottom