• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Desmond

T9KwH.jpg

No HD subtitle. LOL Why bother removing it?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I have tried with my collegue yesterday who lives 3 blocks away from me and has the same ISP - the lag was there also. It's not an issue on my end. Opening a connection would mean "freezing" for a few seconds, but this is a constant issue.

There is a gamespot topic for this:

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-hd-edition/forum/my-online-game-freezes-every-few-seconds-61862387/

Hmm... I dunno then. I have the PS3 version and the major issue there is that the online for the trade screen BARELY works. If you're lucky to connect to someone. Otherwise "issue with connection" shows up there.

Waaghals

I apologize, for this has probably been asked before, but are there any technical differences between the two versions? I have both platforms so I'll go with whichever is best.

JonCha

This should be arriving tomorrow. I've never completed MGS1, and I don't think I even own it, so should I play the Collection in order or release or chronological order?

And I've never played any MGS games.

Can someone explain Solidus Snake during Shadow Moses?
I know he's the president and stuff, but he sent Ocelot to do something, but I can't find what or why.

Am I playing this right?

Im going through MGS3 and I try to be stealthy but if I screw it up where I alert the guards I end up killing myself with grenades or standing still while getting shot at on puropse so I can reload that bit and do it again without any alerts.

I know it doesnt really matter as once you kill the guards sent to investigate you can still progress and the cutscenes or story doesnt really change.

But should I be going though this hassle?

Am I playing this right?

Im going through MGS3 and I try to be stealthy but if I screw it up where I alert the guards I end up killing myself with grenades or standing still while getting shot at on puropse so I can reload that bit and do it again without any alerts.

I know it doesnt really matter as once you kill the guards sent to investigate you can still progress and the cutscenes or story doesnt really change.

But should I be going though this hassle?

Nah it isn't worth the hassle. They fucked up the cooldown (fixed it in Peace Walker). Best thing to do is flee the area or CQC/Knock-out everyone (or kill if that's your thing).

JonCha

Okay, so I suck. I've been playing for 10 minutes on Hard (perhaps not the best idea) on MGS2 and have died three/four times already. I've never played an MGS before, so any tips? The controls feel REALLY twitchy, I'm finding it hard to stick to walls, aiming in first person is really difficult and despite spamming and holding X Snake won't choke anyone. What am I doing wrong?

nHDR

Banned
The controls in MGS 1 and 2 are lousy, man. Eventually you get used to it. Its a shame they didn't include MGS1 in this collection, I would have bought it if yes. Thankfully I still have the PS2 collection that came out years ago.

hitoshi

Hmm... I dunno then. I have the PS3 version and the major issue there is that the online for the trade screen BARELY works. If you're lucky to connect to someone. Otherwise "issue with connection" shows up there.

Well, after some Googleing I finally found a solution: There was a huge thread on Gamefaqs and X360achievements.org about this and they found out that there is a problem with the algorithm which scans for achievements, just like in el shaddai. Here is what you have to do to get rid of the lag / stutter:

1. Put a pendrive into your system
2. Move your profile to it as a backup measure
3. Download your profile from Xbox Live

It takes a long time but it does not harm your system, your profile data or your savegame, and it works - no more headaches and stutter for me, I can finally play co-op and versus ops!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Everything after MGS2 seem scaled back to me, in MGS2 guards are smarter, they see ya shadows & notice little things & really search for you, everything in the environment can be interacted with, and there shit loads of easter eggs, funny joke etc
which were totally missing in 3, I know 3 bought new stuff but a lot went at the same time, for example
when I shoot a pipe in MGS3.......nothing happens, I don't know MGS2 just has a shit load of neat little things that seemed missing in the other games, oh and does memory serve me right? you shoot a radio in 4 can ya?

ultron87

I did The Sorrow last night.

There wasn't
an option to take the fake death pill to end the fight early. This confused me. It was in my left side inventory but it said I couldn't use it.

TheSeks

Kerotans on the runway = FUCKING STUPID.

Still can't hit the assholes with the RPG because I'm getting fired at all over. FUCKING STUPID. >_<

Finally, after an hour I nailed them all. Stupid on-rail and going fast sequence that throws your aim off while being hit. :/

iLLmAtlc

Ha. The Kerotans on the runway/bike chase didn't take as long as they thought I would. The Frog in Grozny Grad northeast (I think) it was took a hell of a long time though. I kept hearing the damn frog but couldn't find it, it was really frustrating.

mattp

Everything after MGS2 seem scaled back to me, in MGS2 guards are smarter, they see ya shadows & notice little things & really search for you, everything in the environment can be interacted with, and there shit loads of easter eggs, funny joke etc
which were totally missing in 3, I know 3 bought new stuff but a lot went at the same time, for example
when I shoot a pipe in MGS3.......nothing happens, I don't know MGS2 just has a shit load of neat little things that seemed missing in the other games, oh and does memory serve me right? you shoot a radio in 4 can ya?

yeah but they also removed the worst part about mgs2. you knock a guard out and 30 seconds later a bunch of dudes come to check on him cuz he's not responding
i get what they ere going for but its just WAY more fucking annoying than it should have been.
the time between knocking the guy out and a search squad coming to check on him should have been so much longer

protonion

I did The Sorrow last night.

There wasn't
an option to take the fake death pill to end the fight early. This confused me. It was in my left side inventory but it said I couldn't use it.

You have to die first! Let a ghost kill you or drown.

Finally got my copy (PAL version)!

I love Metal Gear but just couldn't stand playing my PSP long enough to get into Peace Walker. I played Portable Ops some how back in the days, but PW..... just couldn't do it. So yay console version! :D

Is the co-op fun? My brother loves MG games too, would it be worth us playing together? Can you go like the whole story co-op etc?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Finally got my copy (PAL version)!

Same! (And PAL too!)

Enjoying MGS2 Big Shell mission for the first time, despite playing MGS1, 3 and 4 around 5 times combined, I never played as Raiden when MGS2 came out. I was disappointed I wasn't playing as Snake and stopped playing.

Might be a silly question, but can anyone tell me if I can transfar my PSP save to PS3 before I start playing Peace Walker on the PS3, or do I have to start the PS3 version first and copy the save onto the PSP?

Roto13

Same! (And PAL too!)

Enjoying MGS2 Big Shell mission for the first time, despite playing MGS1, 3 and 4 around 5 times combined, I never played as Raiden when MGS2 came out. I was disappointed I wasn't playing as Snake and stopped playing.

Might be a silly question, but can anyone tell me if I can transfar my PSP save to PS3 before I start playing Peace Walker on the PS3, or do I have to start the PS3 version first and copy the save onto the PSP?

You can transfer your PSP save but you won't be able to earn any trophies.

TheSeks

You can transfer your PSP save but you won't be able to earn any trophies.

However, you can start a save on PS3 move it to PSP, muck about on PSP and bring it back to PS3. But I dunno if the trophies unlock for anything crossed on PSP. So be careful with that.

Mr.Fresh

Just finished MGS3 for the first time. All I can say is the game was AMAZING! Better then any new game I played this whole generation, I cannot get over how amazing the game was. It was worth the $40 on its own. I'm to excited right now lol. Now its time to go back and get some trophies and start MGS4.

Desmond

Just finished MGS3 for the first time. All I can say is the game was AMAZING! Better then any new game I played this whole generation, I cannot get over how amazing the game was. It was worth the $40 on its own. I'm to excited right now lol. Now its time to go back and get some trophies and start MGS4.

MGS2's better ;)

Ingram

I'm debating buying this game cheap from overseas or paying $100 AUD for the collectors edition. Such a nice box and art book...

squadr0n

Finally got a chance to sit down and play through the HD Collection. This is a dream come true for me, the series has a special place in my heart. I don't know if i would still be playing games if i hadn't picked up Snake Eater on a whim one release day. I was stuck on the tanker level for years and gave up then snake eater was released and i was awestruck. i went through the entire series after that more times then i can remember. Love these games!

Thoughts for MGS5, from the few screen shots released so far and Kojima's description, we might be looking at a Skyrim style open world Metal Gear. Theres a quote from Kojima: "Players should even after 100 hours of playing be able to find new stuff in the game."

ScOULaris

Finally got a chance to sit down and play through the HD Collection. This is a dream come true for me, the series has a special place in my heart. I don't know if i would still be playing games if i hadn't picked up Snake Eater on a whim one release day. I was stuck on the tanker level for years and gave up then snake eater was released and i was awestruck. i went through the entire series after that more times then i can remember. Love these games!

Thoughts for MGS5, from the few screen shots released so far and Kojima's description, we might be looking at a Skyrim style open world Metal Gear. Theres a quote from Kojima: "Players should even after 100 hours of playing be able to find new stuff in the game."

There haven't been any screenshots of MGS5. Are you thinking of Project Ogre?

Picked this up yesterday. Man, MGS2 actually looks really nice. There's such a charm to the MGS series' visuals; also, I'm a massive sucker for nostalgia. I really can't wait to hit up some Snake Eater, since all I've been hearing is that it benefits the most from HD.

Finished MGS3 last night and loved it all over again.
Been so long since I played the ps2 version and I really liked the new camera.

Im moving onto MGS2 now and doesnt this version have the better camera??

Marco1

Started this last night on 360 and loving it so far.
The free camera in MGS3 makes such a huge difference.
Why are people complaining about the rain in MGS2? It appears to look identical to the PS2 version?

Eurocult

Picked this up last November, but finally got to finishing Snake Eater. WOW! In HD, It's like playing the game for the first time. Just so god damned good. I think I'm moving on to Peace Walker next (which I've never played)

As far as timeline, is this how it goes?

MGS3
Peace Walker
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

Mr. Fix

Picked this up last November, but finally got to finishing Snake Eater. WOW! In HD, It's like playing the game for the first time. Just so god damned good. I think I'm moving on to Peace Walker next (which I've never played)

As far as timeline, is this how it goes?

MGS3
Peace Walker
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

Yup.

Kinda regretting not starting with MGS3 and opting for 2 instead; purely for the fact that I want to play it that badly. I hope I don't get burnt out on MGSness.

Top Bottom