• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

iLLmAtlc

My TV isn't HD and is 4:3.

I have an SDTV and I just checked out MGS3 because I don't remember. Yes there are black bars and I couldn't find any way to change that.

For PW I remember in the beginning they ask you to adjust the screen zoom so you can theoretically get rid of the black bars that way but I think your screen would be missing some information (ammo, health).

jsnepo

I have an SDTV and I just checked out MGS3 because I don't remember. Yes there are black bars and I couldn't find any way to change that.

For PW I remember in the beginning they ask you to adjust the screen zoom so you can theoretically get rid of the black bars that way but I think your screen would be missing some information (ammo, health).

That's too bad. I guess I'll keep my PS2 copy. 60 fps would've been glorious.

I don't think so. MGS2 cannot be finished on an SDTV due to a glitch.

Really? Because I got the platinum trophy for MGS2 and that requires four or five playthroughs. Unless this is a problem on the 360 version.

Edit: Ah, it's the PAL version. That really sucks, though.

chemicals

I just picked this up. I'm a HUGE Metal Gear fan and I somehow feel complete now that I can play Snake Tales, VR Missions, and all the extra stuff that was in the substance/subsistence repacks.. Also, I started MGS3 last night and the only time I ever played through it was with the old camera (original PS2 release) and it's really weird using the new camera mode... it's better... just really weird.

Anyway I plan on taking my sweet time with the 3 games (can't wait to play Peace Walker, as I've never played it!) Also weird is playing a MGS game with an xbox 360 controller.. it just feels wrong. haha

All this talk about how great MGS3 is makes wanna fly throw MGS2. This is my first time playing it, and I'm absolutely blown away! I could only imagine how people felt back in 2001.

Desmond

qI8yYl.jpg

Vita NA box art

Danny 117

When playing peace walker co-op, can everyone be snake?

Seems every time I choose snake, everybody else is a random MSF soldier. Are they actually choosing these soldiers?

Mikey Jr.

I know this has been asked about a million times, but the last time I played MGS was back when 4 was released. I played all of them except Peace Walker, so I know the story pretty much, but it has been a long time since I played MGS, so a lot of it is fuzzy.

I am replaying them again, (just started 2) and I do believe that playing them according to release is best, except I'm not sure about Peace Walker.

Should I play that before 4, or after it?

MGS4 is like the grand Finale to the series, seems weird to finish 4, then go back and play PW?

Is the story in PW best enjoyed after 4, or does finishing PW add to 4 in terms of story?

Sorry for the same questions again.

Desmond

I know this has been asked about a million times, but the last time I played MGS was back when 4 was released. I played all of them except Peace Walker, so I know the story pretty much, but it has been a long time since I played MGS, so a lot of it is fuzzy.

I am replaying them again, (just started 2) and I do believe that playing them according to release is best, except I'm not sure about Peace Walker.

Should I play that before 4, or after it?

MGS4 is like the grand Finale to the series, seems weird to finish 4, then go back and play PW?

Is the story in PW best enjoyed after 4, or does finishing PW add to 4 in terms of story?

Sorry for the same questions again.
I'd play it after 4 personally.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I tried to search this thread, I know it's been asked a few times no doubt but I can't find the answer (didn't see it in the OP) but when starting Snake Eater what's the difference between 'I like MGS1, MGS2, MGS3'? I know in the PS2 original you either played as Solid or Raiden when in the plane, but these options are different.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I tried to search this thread, I know it's been asked a few times no doubt but I can't find the answer (didn't see it in the OP) but when starting Snake Eater what's the difference between 'I like MGS1, MGS2, MGS3'? I know in the PS2 original you either played as Solid or Raiden when in the plane, but these options are different.

MGS3 gives a bunch of cameos and Raiden mask at the start. MGS2 just gives the Raiden mask. MGS1 doesn't give anything.

Gen X

Cheers, the first few searches I did on Google only turned up the OG PS2 version, even GameFAQs that labeled it MGS HD only listed PS2 stuff. Apparently choosing MGS1 makes your stamina last longer.

Anyway, started the game, just met The Boss on the horse and calling it a day/night for now. It's been 7yrs since I played Snake Eater and just the initial starting put a massive grin on my face. Really looking forward to enjoying the game for the 2nd time.

braves01

Banned
Just finished Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on easy (since I'm a wuss and expected it to be old school difficulty). Code name: Zebra, i.e. even on easy I suck. I'd heard MGS1 was very similar to this, but I didn't know it actually re-used the some of the same scenarios. It kept giving me these flashes of reverse nostalgia. Overall, I'm really glad I listened to the people who said MG2 was must play. It was so good.

Gen X

Zebra, lol. I'll have to look up all the ranks for MGS2. I got The Bat, but I saved a lot for my first playthrough as I was going for the No Alerts trophy. Killed a few people.

For MGS3, in order to get the trophy for collecting all the animals, does your progress carry on into a New Game +? Not that I worry too much, not going to restart now, just curious if you have to do it all in one game.

Desmond

Zebra, lol. I'll have to look up all the ranks for MGS2. I got The Bat, but I saved a lot for my first playthrough as I was going for the No Alerts trophy. Killed a few people.

For MGS3, in order to get the trophy for collecting all the animals, does your progress carry on into a New Game +? Not that I worry too much, not going to restart now, just curious if you have to do it all in one game.

I don't think the animal progress carries over. Kerotan Frogs do though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't think the animal progress carries over. Kerotan Frogs do though.

Correct. Markhor has to be done in one playthrough and it's good to do it your first so you get the trophies and know you have all the frogs, plants, birds, snakes done for Markhor and thus only need the goat, rabbit, and a few other misc. food items.

You don't need to eat them (so you can save the Tsuchinoko) just catch them.

Also did MGS2:Sub add more bombs on higher difficulties? I have a bomb in Strut E on Hard that I can't seem to find. I forget what box it is on the conveyor belt and it's pissing me off as guides say to use sound and I CAN'T DO THAT. :|

(Also no-alerting while getting dog tags on this is a bitch. I've probably wasted 10 hours for "2 hours gametime" doing this...)

I'm pretty far into Peace Walker but I'm still really confused when it comes to building Zeke. I've fought the AI bosses a number of times, built up the various parts, but I still don't know what any of them do. I mean, I'm looking at the menu right now and I have four different walk units, but they're all exactly the same. Why swap if they're all identical? Is this all just a part of something later in the game?

I have no clue what's going on.

Edit: And what's the point of building new plants?

iLLmAtlc

I'm pretty far into Peace Walker but I'm still really confused when it comes to building Zeke. I've fought the AI bosses a number of times, built up the various parts, but I still don't know what any of them do. I mean, I'm looking at the menu right now and I have four different walk units, but they're all exactly the same. Why swap if they're all identical? Is this all just a part of something later in the game?

I have no clue what's going on.

Edit: And what's the point of building new plants?

Building new plants just means you are starting to get more and/or higher quality recruits. Keep recruiting because it is necessary for your base to expand to a certain point to advance in the story near the end.

As far as Zeke goes, I'm not really sure I know the answer to your question. Just keep beating the AI bosses and checking to see if you can apply any parts. It probably is possible to get duplicates. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think you also have to have the Railgun and the Radome installed on Zeke to advance in the story later too.

So definitely don't neglect recruiting and probably don't neglect Zeke to stay on the safe side too.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I just finally picked this up for Ps3 and i wanna say its hands down the best HD collection ive played yet. Aside from the ps2 era graphics (which still look amazing with proper AA and hi-res) you really cant tell this wasnt designed for HD widescreen tvs. They redesigned everything to work properly. So awesome.

braves01

Banned
Just got the Complete Stealth achievement on MGS2! I'll probably go for Boss Survival next and chip away at VR missions or Snake Tales. I've decided not to go for the St. Bernard or Great Dane stuff because I don't want to fight 20 Rays. 70-80% trophy completion is more than enough for me, especially when I've still got Peace Walker to finish and a couple trophies left in MGS3 (and MG1).

wow the controls of MGS 2 are crap. I couldn't remember they were this bad. Why am I not able to shoot from cover?

This is insane and not fun at all because i can't move while I'm in first-person-view

Roto13

wow the controls of MGS 2 are crap. I couldn't remember they were this bad. Why am I not able to shoot from cover?

This is insane and not fun at all because i can't move while I'm in first-person-view

It's not a first person shooter. And you can shoot from cover. There's an automatic tutorial about it and everything.

It's not a first person shooter. And you can shoot from cover. There's an automatic tutorial about it and everything.

Really? How does it work? I read the manual but shooting from cover is never mentioned?!

I dies 8 times in the first 60 minutes because I thought that I have to leave cover to shoot :/

I know it's not a FPS
I played MGS 3 and 4 :p

Desmond

Really? How does it work? I read the manual but shooting from cover is never mentioned?!

I dies 8 times in the first 60 minutes because I thought that I have to leave cover to shoot :/

I know it's not a FPS
I played MGS 3 and 4 :p
Can't You just press Square from cover or something? Memory's hazy

Sneak. Don't shoot

yeah "x" and rb ...

this game is kind of boring....cutscenes, dialogue, cutscenes, dialogue, 3 min gameplay, cutscenes, dialogue

nothing new for MGS but this time i find it to be very boring.

edit: and graphics are bad, even in HD

Desmond

yeah "x" and rb ...

this game is kind of boring....cutscenes, dialogue, cutscenes, dialogue, 3 min gameplay, cutscenes, dialogue

MGS2 is the best in the series for me.

It's a great looking game, especially for something made in 2001.

Roto13

yeah "x" and rb ...

Bad? Ridiculous. When it was released, it was the most mindblowingly good looking game ever.

Bad? Ridiculous. When it was released, it was the most mindblowingly good looking game ever.

But that was 11 years ago ^^
Call me stupid but Silent Hill 2 (same year) is the better looking HD (!) game, imo

I compare them because I play the SH HD Collection at the same time

I was just about to ask the same question. Is there any way to find out this information? Maybe it's just to support "transfarring" with the Vita release.

I think your right. It may have been just to add vita MGS2 & MGS3 transfarring support to Vita.

Surprised no one has uncovered whats been patched and that no one is talking about the patch at all.

Okay I give up. This trial and error shit is unbearable.

MGS 2

+ sound and voice acting
+ graphics are ...well....okay

- controls (they suck)
- camera (what the fuck?)
- story (boring)
- dialogue (not interesting or funny)
- trial and error at it's best
- raiden < snake

this is the worst MGS I've ever played and one of the most frustrating games ever

btw: MGS 3 was one of my favorite games last gen

Top Bottom