• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Roto13

Itens are not showing up in Metal Gear Solid 3. I get new weapon/equipment in the beginning of the game but they don't show in my backpack. Is this normal?

Are you checking your backpack from the pause menu or holding L2/R2 to open your inventory? Because you only have a few things equipped at once in MGS3.

A friend is asking if a Peace Walker save created from a PS3 was transferred to the PSP and had trophy stuff unlocked will unlock trophies when transferred back to the PS3?
Yes, a Peace Walker save started on the PS3 will track Trophy progress when Transfarred onto the PSP. Acquired trophies are added to one's collection when you load the game up back on the PS3.

Fry

Are you checking your backpack from the pause menu or holding L2/R2 to open your inventory? Because you only have a few things equipped at once in MGS3.

Hmm that could possibly be it. I'll check it out later, thanks.

Can't believe I finished this game over 20 times and don't even remember that. >_<

Sajjaja

Just finished MGS1 on PSN. Now on MGS2 and holy crap it looks amazing.... I'll finally play mgs2 with a controller and not on PC which was just an awful port.

metalshade

If you like the top down camera then I'm sure you'll love MGS2 for its gameplay. MGS3's camera can also be toggled between 3d like MGS4 and top down like MGS2.

Cool. Still confused on the content included in the Vita version, can anyone clarify?
If it includes the first metal gears, then I reckon I am definitely in.

OG Kush

Just strated properly playing MGS3.pretty fucking crazy. But the controls say press B to hold someone, and then all these other buttons to perform actions. But to do these I have to take my thumb of B, which releases the guard. Does the game really expect me to hold B and and the simultaneously press X/Y etc?

StuBurns

Banned
Has there been any comment about solo releases of the three on PSN/XBLA? I want Peace Walker, but I don't want the other two, they said it at the time, but I'm not sure if it's still on the cards.

jsnepo

I want to know too.

Anyway I played a coop game against this tank in Peace Walker. It was fun.

There is also is noticeable slow down in Groznyj Grad in MGS3. Quite disappointing if you ask me.

Nori Chan

All right, I have no idea what to do to get the zeke battle in peace walker? Can anybody help me out? My intel group is 60 something, I've built zeke already with everything, I've done at least 10 extra ops after he's been built, and I already done all 6 zadornov missions.

Kazzy

All right, I have no idea what to do to get the zeke battle in peace walker? Can anybody help me out? My intel group is 60 something, I've built zeke already with everything, I've done at least 10 extra ops after he's been built, and I already done all 6 zadornov missions.

Has Zadornov escaped again? If that's the case, you should be able to find him in the shooting range (which means selecting one of the first Extra ops missions). Other than that, Zeke needs to have a rail-gun and all its equipment minus the armour upgrade.

That whole final chapter is just so badly designed though, even replaying the game on the 360 (meaning I knew exactly what was required) didn't make the whole process any less annoying. I was guiding a friend through the game at the same time, and trying to explain to him how you needed to grind out missions, in order to let Zadornov escape, continuously, made it all seem as though it was part of some elaborate practical joke.

It's a good thing the ending makes it all worthwhile.

Nori Chan

Has Zadornov escaped again? If that's the case, you should be able to find him in the shooting range (which means selecting one of the first Extra ops missions). Other than that, Zeke needs to have a rail-gun and all its equipment minus the armour upgrade.

That whole final chapter is just so badly designed though, even replaying the game on the 360 (meaning I knew exactly what was required) didn't make the whole process any less annoying. I was guiding a friend through the game at the same time, and trying to explain to him how you needed to grind out missions, in order to let Zadornov escape, continuously, made it all seem as though it was part of some elaborate practical joke.

It's a good thing the ending makes it all worthwhile.

No, I haven't gotten a call at all from him which is weird cause I've done several missions after I caught him.

Yes, zeke has everything except armor on it. Do I need the AI pod to be more filled with memory boards or something?

Kazzy

No, I haven't gotten a call at all from him which is weird cause I've done several missions after I caught him.

Yes, zeke has everything except armor on it. Do I need the AI pod to be more filled with memory boards or something?

Hm, is your Mission Support Rank 2+?

Apart from the required parts to build Zeke, I think that is the only other necessary requirement. Trying to do a quick search to find a definitive list for you, just throws up a lot of bad information. Some say completing the
Paz date
is needed, but I don't remember that being the case.

...and when the call comes, it doesn't actually appear as a mission. Just make sure you select Snake and enter the firing range, if you hear a laugh, Zadornov is hiding on the walkway.

It may sound patronizing, but it might be worth running in there to check if that's the case. That section is so vague, it can be easy to miss the call. I know I did the second time around.

jsnepo

Am I the only one who prefers the visual aesthetics of MGS3 on the PS2? I can't seem to explain it but I guess MGS3 is not meant to be viewed on a 32" screen or higher.

Kazzy

What's mission support?

It's tied to your intel, raise that and it should follow suit. It's overall level is tied to your overall GMP though, so if it appears as though it is still not levelling up, you may want to check that out too.

You can check out the MS level by viewing the plants back at Mother Base.

Nori Chan

It's tied to your intel, raise that and it should follow suit. It's overall level is tied to your overall GMP though, so if it appears as though it is still not levelling up, you may want to check that out too.

You can check out the MS level by viewing the plants back at Mother Base.

Idk, but that's probably it. Can't think of anything else. I have been spending a lot of GMP for weapons lately too.

So what do I have to do then?

I'm having trouble with aiming in MGS2. In MGS3 holding L in first-person mode lets you fine-tune aiming, but doing that in MGS2 seems to make me lock-on to a target instead, most of the time. Is there a way to disable this lock-on effect?

EDIT: Whoops, thought it was the Vita thread.

I've only really played through MSG1. What are GAF's thoughts about a chronological run? I thought I would use this collection do give it a go. Or would a straight release-order run be better? Don't have the time to do both.

MMaRsu

I've only really played through MSG1. What are GAF's thoughts about a chronological run? I thought I would use this collection do give it a go. Or would a straight release-order run be better? Don't have the time to do both.

I would do the release order one.

Pachimari

Thinking of getting this for PS Vita but I have already completed them on PS2 and got the Xbox 360 version of the HD Collection.

Desmond

Afaik yes^

Okay lads, once again. Does anyone wanna S Rank PW on PS3 with me? I Mean ANYONE.Even lurkers lol

PSN DessieB93

I Need this Platinum!

/desperate

Ein Bear

Sooo.. Transfarring isn't region free, is it?

Nope!

Which I just discovered a few days ago when I tried to do it with my PAL Vita version and my imported PS3 copy.

Stupid Konami. Why couldn't you have released the PS3 HD Collection in Europe at the same time as the US you bastards!

Desmond

Can I get the "Completed ZEKE" trophy AFTER Ch5? I want to fight ZEKE now, and I don't have the Custom AI fights unlocked yet

mattp

i'm gonna leave my wedding cake here
pannellawed060912-454.jpg

Wazzim

Banned
I'm currently playing through MGS3 on the Vita and just beat
The End
. 10 hours in, guess I'm halfway through this game?

MMaRsu

A few hours in at mgs2 and hate not playing as Snake himself. Its an insult he shows up at the same place. I dont care about raiden..

Wazzim

Banned
Just finished MGS3 after finishing all the other main games, Portable Ops and playing a bit of Peace Walker. What can I say except for:

iuop6onVjSSd9.jpg

Just beat MGS3. Awesome.
One question though, at the end of the game when Snake
meets the president, whose handshake does he snub? He shakes the president's hand and then turns to his left and a person extends their hand and Snake doesn't shake it and instead walks out of the room. Is this a random person or someone of significance?

iLLmAtlc

Just beat MGS3. Awesome.
meets the president, whose handshake does he snub? He shakes the president's hand and then turns to his left and a person extends their hand and Snake doesn't shake it and instead walks out of the room. Is this a random person or someone of significance?

IRC that was
the director of the CIA

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Just beat MGS3. Awesome.

The supposed mastermind behind the Boss' defection and Operation Snake Eater itself (IIRC, the extent of his actual involvement was retconned in later games). He's based off of real life 1960s DCI, John McCone.

He's also the man Ocelot talks to on the phone after the end credits. "Yes, of course... Mr. Director."

Kinosen

Neo Member
Recently finished MGS2 for the first time and I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it, considering all the negative reception. I completely understand how players around the time of its release would feel insulted by the switch, but going into the game nowadays taking that switch for granted, I really didn't mind Raiden as a protagonist (
I even warmed up to his silly cartwheel during the Vamp and RAY battles
). It was also great for developing Snake has an independent character. Just like MGS1, the game still has a great atmosphere, over-the-top but endearing characters and bosses, and a story that, while sometimes ridiculous, also touches on interesting themes, much like nuclear proliferation in MGS1.

The only major issues I had were with Rose and the really forced melodrama in that relationship, and the controls for first-person aiming around cover, combined with changing third-person camera angles. Otherwise, I really appreciate how games like this from Kojima (or Mother 3 from Itoi) feel like really crafted experiences from a unified vision with a lot of attention to detail. It's just refreshing. The soundtrack was also great, especially the in-game music. Then, looking through the original design document, there's a lot of cool insight into KojiPro's process.

Grinchy

Banned
I just borrowed my brother's PS3 copy. Holy shit at the image quality! And the sound! It looks and sounds so good. This has to be the best HD collection that has been made so far, right?

Kinosen

Neo Member
MGS 3 is phenomenal, easily one of the most complete game experiences I've ever had, beginning to end. The endgame is especially great.
Basically from the planting of C3 on the fuel tanks to the very end
. The natural environment sets up a really different atmosphere, and the stealth gameplay is on another level compared to previous games. The story is also really great, not only does it have great characters, but in all the parts that mattered to me, the plot delivers in a really satisfying way. Major props go to Norihiko Hibino (who seems to be underappreciated) and Harry Gregson-Williams for the excellent soundtrack. From top to bottom, the game is just infused with Kojima's brand of crafted craziness, and in HD at 60fps, it looks and plays great.

clear31

just wondering for anyone who has the 360 version, how do the controls hold up? debating on ps3 or 360 but I tend to always lean more for 360 while ps3 I use for exclusives

Kinosen

Neo Member
I played MGS 2 and 3 on 360 and they both control fine. In fact, because the 360 controller lacks analog buttons, all the actions you do in both games are discrete and specific. You'll pretty much never do something intending to do another thing like I hear about the games on the Dualshock 3.

In the light of the MGS:Ground Zeroes announcement and people getting excited about the series again, MGS HD Collection is available on both XBLA and PSN now. You can buy MGS2/3 seperately from Peace Walker. I believe MGS2/3 is $20 and Peace Walker is also $20. And MGS2/3 also comes with Metal Gear 1 & Metal Gear 2 (the original MSX 2d games).

I'm starting to muster up some enthusiasm to play through MG1 & 2 finally.

Also, if you haven't played MGS3 and Peace Walker yet, you probably should to get ready for Ground Zeroes.

Top Bottom