• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Never ever played MGS :)

At best, I played Subsistence for like 20 minutes.

Thinking of getting this so I can play MGS IV, hoping I can keep up with the plot

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Never ever played MGS :)

At best, I played Subsistence for like 20 minutes.

Thinking of getting this so I can play MGS IV, hoping I can keep up with the plot

You still would be missing MGS1. Is that buyable on PSN? You should definitely play that first.

blamite

So I bought this on Xbox Live last week and I've been playing through MGS2 since then, for my first time. Great game. Really love it. Except...

I cannot beat this goddamn (late game spoilers)
Metal Gear RAY fight. This is probably the most frustrated I've been with a game in a long time. I'm playing on Normal, so I guess I have to kill 7 RAYs? But it's just so tedious, and repetitive, but if I slip up once I'm screwed, since I only have 2 rations at the start of the fight. The body armor does nothing, rations stop spawning as soon as I need them, and I always get screwed byt he two horizontal missiles. Ironically, both today and yesterday, my first attempt has gotten the farthest, and on every try after that I can't even kill one RAY. The most I've gone through is 4, and I just can't get that far again.

I understand that if you shoot the legs, they open their mouths which you can shoot for extra damage, but I can never take the second shot fast enough, I'm always too busy running from missiles. I really think my biggest problem is not having enough rations to keep going once I get hurt, but I really can't do anything about that at this point.

Anything I'm missing, or some trick I can use to get past this with less headache? This is seriously killing my momentum with this game, which sucks since I'm so far, but I'm close to just rage-quitting altogether.

Daigoro

So I bought this on Xbox Live last week and I've been playing through MGS2 since then, for my first time. Great game. Really love it. Except...

I cannot beat this goddamn (late game spoilers)
Metal Gear RAY fight. This is probably the most frustrated I've been with a game in a long time. I'm playing on Normal, so I guess I have to kill 7 RAYs? But it's just so tedious, and repetitive, but if I slip up once I'm screwed, since I only have 2 rations at the start of the fight. The body armor does nothing, rations stop spawning as soon as I need them, and I always get screwed byt he two horizontal missiles. Ironically, both today and yesterday, my first attempt has gotten the farthest, and on every try after that I can't even kill one RAY. The most I've gone through is 4, and I just can't get that far again.

I understand that if you shoot the legs, they open their mouths which you can shoot for extra damage, but I can never take the second shot fast enough, I'm always too busy running from missiles. I really think my biggest problem is not having enough rations to keep going once I get hurt, but I really can't do anything about that at this point.

Anything I'm missing, or some trick I can use to get past this with less headache? This is seriously killing my momentum with this game, which sucks since I'm so far, but I'm close to just rage-quitting altogether.

its been a bit, but dont rations spawn during the fight? not sure.

anyways, look up a walkthrough on youtube, or just keep at it. i remember the last time i played through i had forgotten what i was supposed to be doing, and it was a but frustrating, but its not as hard as it seems.

you'll get it.

blamite

its been a bit, but dont rations spawn during the fight? not sure.

anyways, look up a walkthrough on youtube, or just keep at it. i remember the last time i played through i had forgotten what i was supposed to be doing, and it was a but frustrating, but its not as hard as it seems.

you'll get it.

Only one or two rations spawn, but they stop fairly early into the battle, seems to be around the second RAY to jump into the center. I got through 4 this time before dying. I think I'm starting to get a better hang of the pattern I need, but I'm always getting murdered by the horizontal missiles. I've learned to anticipate them when the RAY totally stops for a second, but it feels like sometimes they can fire them immediately after jumping into the ring without the charge time.
Alright... time to go back for more. (spoilered just to be on the safe side)

edit: ooooooookay I think I got it now. Well that's much easier than what I've been doing.

G-Fex

I'm going to pick up the HD collection

I don't know why but I regained interest in the MGS Series.

gonna pick up 1 off PSN too

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Wasnt the HD Collection for PS3 supposed to come with a download code for Peace Walker or did I mis-read that somewhere?

The PS3 version in North America/Europe had MGS2/3/PW all on disc. In Japan MGS2/3 where bundled with a PSN MGS Download Code while PW was sold separately.

OK, I don't get Peace Walker at all. I honestly don't want to play it any more.

I feel like I get five messages saying I've unlocked some cool new toy after every mission, but I can't have any of them because I don't have anywhere near enough GMP. The economy in this game seems totally broken, because I'm Fultoning everyone I see in every mission and I can maybe afford to upgrade one weapon every few missions. I tried sending some of my dudes out on Outer Ops missions, but instead of a nice, neat Mission Success indicator like the Assassin's Creed games, Peace Walker chooses to tell be fucking nothing and I have to look at like eight different bars with indecipherable symbols on them and just hope my guys make it back. And when they do they come home with a couple of hundred GMP each, which might as well be totally worthless.

The gameplay balance changes so dramatically from mission to mission. Any time I have to sneak is pathetically easy, because guards are really short sighted and I can completely incapacitate them just by holding them up. Big Boss says "Freeze", and they automatically lie down quivering and then never get back up again. But then every third mission I have to fight some giant, unexplained machine and it takes fifteen full minutes of me firing literally everything I have at it and then having to throw a supply marker to get more rockets because I can only carry seven and I need seventy. They suddenly throw me into an arena with a Metal Gear, and Kaz has nothing useful to say over the Codec so I just start shooting at it and hope for the best. Some of them have guns or radomes that I can target separately, but I have no idea if I can actually destroy them or what. I hold my crosshairs over a gun and shoot it for ten full seconds to no visible effect, but I don't know if I was supposed to shoot it for twenty full seconds or what.

I come to Metal Gear games expecting some of the best, most tightly designed boss battles in all of gaming, but Peace Walker's are honestly some of the worst I've ever come across. It seems like the best way to dodge their attacks is just pick a direction and jog in a straight line until its over, at which point you just turn back around and continue bombarding what you hope is the weakpoint for another few minutes. I've just been fighting Cocoon for about half an hour, and I had to check GameFAQs to have any idea of what to do. It said to shoot the radiators underneath it, and I don't know how I was supposed to figure that out on my own. And then, I don't even know, just pick other parts and shoot them? I shot off all the little red things on its sides, fired about a thousand rounds into its chainsaw thing (which apparently didn't even damage it at all), shot about ten rockets into the big mounted guns (again, no effect), and then after a good twenty minutes it dropped a ladder down, so I climbed up to the top and was promptly killed by a missile attack that I had no room to dodge.

And I'm not doing it again. I mean, jeez, why would I want to? I really just don't understand how I'm supposed to be playing. Am I supposed to be grinding or something? I'm like five or six hours in. What can I even grind for? Every weapon seems to have both ranks and levels, but I don't know what either of those things means and the game doesn't tell me. When a weapon I have can be upgraded it doesn't tell me what that upgrade is going to do, and I have so little GMP that I don't want to waste any. I don't really understand how to get more, either. The Outer Ops system seems totally nebulous and arcane, and so far none of the rewards I've gotten from it have been the slightest bit useful. I don't know whether I should be Fultoning every single person or just high ranked ones; my Analyzer takes forever to analyze anyone, and I haven't seen anyone over a C rank yet. And it seems like I'm already over halfway through the main story, but I've seen people say they spent over 100 hours playing the game. All the Extra Ops I've seen have been about seventeen seconds long, just run in, Fulton someone and run out. It can't all be grinding, can it?

This entire game is just baffling to me.

I feel like I get five messages saying I've unlocked some cool new toy after every mission, but I can't have any of them because I don't have anywhere near enough GMP. The economy in this game seems totally broken, because I'm Fultoning everyone I see in every mission and I can maybe afford to upgrade one weapon every few missions. I tried sending some of my dudes out on Outer Ops missions, but instead of a nice, neat Mission Success indicator like the Assassin's Creed games, Peace Walker chooses to tell be fucking nothing and I have to look at like eight different bars with indecipherable symbols on them and just hope my guys make it back. And when they do they come home with a couple of hundred GMP each, which might as well be totally worthless.

The gameplay balance changes so dramatically from mission to mission. Any time I have to sneak is pathetically easy, because guards are really short sighted and I can completely incapacitate them just by holding them up. Big Boss says "Freeze", and they automatically lie down quivering and then never get back up again. But then every third mission I have to fight some giant, unexplained machine and it takes fifteen full minutes of me firing literally everything I have at it and then having to throw a supply marker to get more rockets because I can only carry seven and I need seventy. They suddenly throw me into an arena with a Metal Gear, and Kaz has nothing useful to say over the Codec so I just start shooting at it and hope for the best. Some of them have guns or radomes that I can target separately, but I have no idea if I can actually destroy them or what. I hold my crosshairs over a gun and shoot it for ten full seconds to no visible effect, but I don't know if I was supposed to shoot it for twenty full seconds or what.

I come to Metal Gear games expecting some of the best, most tightly designed boss battles in all of gaming, but Peace Walker's are honestly some of the worst I've ever come across. It seems like the best way to dodge their attacks is just pick a direction and jog in a straight line until its over, at which point you just turn back around and continue bombarding what you hope is the weakpoint for another few minutes. I've just been fighting Cocoon for about half an hour, and I had to check GameFAQs to have any idea of what to do. It said to shoot the radiators underneath it, and I don't know how I was supposed to figure that out on my own. And then, I don't even know, just pick other parts and shoot them? I shot off all the little red things on its sides, fired about a thousand rounds into its chainsaw thing (which apparently didn't even damage it at all), shot about ten rockets into the big mounted guns (again, no effect), and then after a good twenty minutes it dropped a ladder down, so I climbed up to the top and was promptly killed by a missile attack that I had no room to dodge.

And I'm not doing it again. I mean, jeez, why would I want to? I really just don't understand how I'm supposed to be playing. Am I supposed to be grinding or something? I'm like five or six hours in. What can I even grind for? Every weapon seems to have both ranks and levels, but I don't know what either of those things means and the game doesn't tell me. When a weapon I have can be upgraded it doesn't tell me what that upgrade is going to do, and I have so little GMP that I don't want to waste any. I don't really understand how to get more, either. The Outer Ops system seems totally nebulous and arcane, and so far none of the rewards I've gotten from it have been the slightest bit useful. I don't know whether I should be Fultoning every single person or just high ranked ones; my Analyzer takes forever to analyze anyone, and I haven't seen anyone over a C rank yet. And it seems like I'm already over halfway through the main story, but I've seen people say they spent over 100 hours playing the game. All the Extra Ops I've seen have been about seventeen seconds long, just run in, Fulton someone and run out. It can't all be grinding, can it?

I hope someone has an explanation for you because I don't want to go through PW now until I figure out how to make it funnererer than you've described haha.

Ein Bear

This was basically my experience with Peace Walker too. The boss battles are just complete ball busters. The first one (against the tank and the dudes) took me about an hour to clear, and then I just gave up on the second one.

braves01

Banned
This was basically my experience with Peace Walker too. The boss battles are just complete ball busters. The first one (against the tank and the dudes) took me about an hour to clear, and then I just gave up on the second one.

Yeah, I didn't look forward to boss fights much either. I think the problem is that this stuff was balanced for four people, so it becomes a bit of a slog for one person. It's a shame because the game gets pretty addictive once you start unlocking gear, expanding mother base, doing outer ops, etc., but then you hit a long monotonous boss fight. I did end up grinding a bit to unlock weapon grades I needed to beat certain levels. God only knows how some people manage to S rank some of those extra ops though.

You get GMP from getting combat guys, you can get them by using the recruit function in Mother Base. And no, don't Fulton everyone because there's a limit on how many soldiers you can have; it gets really annoying when you have like 50 E ranked guys taking up valuable spots and there's no "fire all" function. If you're starting off just get every C ranked guy you can find as well as a couple of Ds. You should be researching better gear as you go along in the story, Cocoon only took me like 10 minutes the first time through...just shoot the AI Pod with rockets. I'm pretty positive you don't have to do any real grinding to beat the story missions, at least I didn't when I first played through the game.

And Extra Ops get more complicated as you unlock them; they include stuff like perfect stealth, ghost photography, base defense, document retrieval, etc. The really hard ones are the 5 red skull vehicle missions which are absurd and obviously meant for a full 4 player team (I solo'd Peace Walker Custom and it took me over an hour with rank 5 Carl Gustavs). If you can buy what it's selling, Peace Walker is a huge game that'll last you a long time.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Just started playing peace walker for the first time today on 360 but it freezes almost every time i'm at a loading screen. Did this happen to anyone else?

iLLmAtlc

Are you guys ignoring the recruiting components of the game? Doing that will make the game extremely, extremely difficult. Recruiting people will allow you to upgrade your inventory which will make things go smoothly. In fact if you really stay on top of your recruiting the game will probably become too easy.

Develop your Scanner first and fulton D/C guys at first, then moving on to C's/B's, etc

BadWolf

Didn't grind much while playing the main story, and ignored the special ops until I finished the main game as well. So its definitely okay to not grind. You are early in the game so the Outer Ops won't bear much reward, its later that it comes into play when you have good soldiers etc. and you can send them on more difficult missions that you can start getting good stuff.

Its been a while but iirc you level your weapons up as you use them, the more you use them the more powerful they become. Against bosses the most effective weapons are rocket launchers (LAW, RPG, Gustav, Stinger etc) so make sure to bring lots of those and use them often to keep them leveled well. The bosses have patterns and weaknesses like an another game, I guarantee you that once you figure them out you will be beating them easily multiple times no prob in special ops. And figuring out is part of the fun.

There are over a hundred special ops and they can get quite challenging, especially the boss fights. Then there is the other stuff you do which I won't spoil and the time really adds up.

Honestly though, if you are that frustrated why not just read a faq or ask around gamefaqs or something to clear up the questions you have in regards to the game? Will make life much easier.

OK, I've been having a better time with it today. I realized I'd never checked the 'Briefing Files' option before going on a mission, and there I found Huey telling me "Yo Boss, shoot the radiators", so I felt like a goon :p

I also didn't understand the way GMP worked. I thought it was money that I was spending to develop all my new toys, but it's actually more like a power level for my army. I thought if I spent 60,000 GMP to create a Stinger I wouldn't get it back, but it actually only ties up that amount of GMP for the duration of the development and you get it all back once the thing's made. That makes the whole game make a whole lot more sense.

I think I'm getting more of a handle on Outer Ops, too. I didn't realize I could switch between viewing my soldiers by little red bas or by letter ranks, so once I switched to letters I understood it a lot better. I'm still just grouping up my guys with the most Cs to go on the C missions, but I don't feel as totally in the dark as I used to. Some of this makes me feel a little dumb for not realizing it, but I feel comfortable blaming about half of it on really obfuscatory UI design. You have to look at about five different places in any given menu to know which buttons do what.

Anyway, I beat Cocoon and I'm up to Chapter 4 and enjoying myself again. I just unlocked the Battle Dress, which seems like it'll let me bring more rocket launchers into boss fights with me to hopefully cut down on having to resupply. I don't think I'll be in for the long haul of S-ranking everything and farming soldiers, but at least I feel like I have my head above water.

televator

I enjoyed PW all the way up to the (real) end. Which is great really, but I think it sucks that I can't enjoy it as much as the other folks who were able to go through all the tougher Ops. scenarios.

There's a bit of a catch 22 for me. At my level of meager skill, I need better items and weapons to beat the tougher Ops., but I need to beat the tougher Ops. to get the better items and weapons.... I lose.

Well, I'm glad I went back to it. I finished the game today, or at least Chapter 4, and I ended up enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I'm on my way to the real ending, which I don't think will take me too much longer (I just did the fifth
search for Zadornov mission, and my Zeke is ready to go with a railgun
). I can't say I'll be going back and playing the game a dozen times like I do with the numbered MGSes, but I had my fun with it.

BadWolf

Well, I'm glad I went back to it. I finished the game today, or at least Chapter 4, and I ended up enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I'm on my way to the real ending, which I don't think will take me too much longer (I just did the fifth
search for Zadornov mission, and my Zeke is ready to go with a railgun
). I can't say I'll be going back and playing the game a dozen times like I do with the numbered MGSes, but I had my fun with it.

Are you going to obtain the various cassette tapes? There are lots and they add a lot to the story/characters. If you complete all the special ops you get another secret tape which is pretty vital to the story.

One of the best rewards for finishing/grinding missions I have come across in any game.

Zampano

So I've just been playing Peace Walker HD for about six hours straight. What a fantastic game - once you start unlocking all the cool stuff.

It also look fantastic - crazy that it's just an up-res of a PSP game. Everything looks so sharp and sexy.

However, I then went through the transfar rigmarole to get my save onto my Vita (PS3->PSP->PS3->Vita) and it's really hard to go back from playing on PS3 to the PSP version, even on the Vita. It all looks so muddy now, and the controls are not quite good enough - even with the second stick

Konami need to release an HD Vita version asap. I would even buy it again. It's not going to happen though, is it?

:(

So how do I make it so that my PMC soldiers use explosives for vehicles and firearms for infantry? Cuz this "fire Carl Gustavs at soldiers and use Mac 10s on tanks" shit is starting to get to me. lol

neoemonk

I finished my first run of MGS2 in years last night. I'm going for plat but I'm worried about the VR missions. I've read about how hard they are. I've got dog tags to keep me busy for now though. 61% of trophies on the first run. Not bad!

rvy

Banned
God damn, MGS 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time. I kinda miss the pressure sensitive buttons on 360, but whatever. They managed to bypass some of the issues. I still remember how awkward it was to lower your weapon on a GC controller.

God damn, MGS 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time. I kinda miss the pressure sensitive buttons on 360, but whatever. They managed to bypass some of the issues. I still remember how awkward it was to lower your weapon on a GC controller.

Analog buttons is something I wish everyone copied.

rvy

Banned
Analog buttons is something I wish everyone copied.

Yup. Sony was absolutely right on that one. Pretty weird of MS to ditch them, especially since the original Xbox had them.
In any case, the game still seems to choke on the Holds. I'm moving around by hanging and the framerate drops whenever the enemies are on-screen.

Edit, "Gorge" Sears is still here, LMAO. I've seen a bunch of issues though. Tearing, very severe in Strut F in particular, near the door with the stairs. At one point the whole screen was shaking. Weapon icons with blue background sometimes get messed up. Some other stuff.
Fortune had bugs though, so that's nice.

I knew I had the perfect version of MGS 2 with PS2 Substance. This is unpolished. They managed to add glitches and bugs to a 11 year old that did not have them.

SJRB

Gold Member
Still haven't received the boxed version. I swear to god this is the last time I order any game at a games webstore I'm unfamiliar with. Anyway, I'm craving for some MGS3 so I went ahead and purchased MGS3 off of PSN.

10,000 mb game, estimated download time 500 minutes.

Sheesh...

Ein Bear

Yup. Sony was absolutely right on that one. Pretty weird of MS to ditch them, especially since the original Xbox had them.
In any case, the game still seems to choke on the Holds. I'm moving around by hanging and the framerate drops whenever the enemies are on-screen.

Edit, "Gorge" Sears is still here, LMAO. I've seen a bunch of issues though. Tearing, very severe in Strut F in particular, near the door with the stairs. At one point the whole screen was shaking. Weapon icons with blue background sometimes get messed up. Some other stuff.
Fortune had bugs though, so that's nice.

I knew I had the perfect version of MGS 2 with PS2 Substance. This is unpolished. They managed to add glitches and bugs to a 11 year old that did not have them.

I'm curious, are you playing on the PS3 or Xbox version? I sunk about 100 hours into platting MGS2 HD on the PS3, and it literally never tore, dipped from 60fps, or glitched on me once.

Edit: Just noticed you said you were playing on 360. Weird, maybe it's just that version? :S

rvy

Banned
I'm curious, are you playing on the PS3 or Xbox version? I sunk about 100 hours into platting MGS2 HD on the PS3, and it literally never tore, dipped from 60fps, or glitched on me once.

Edit: Just noticed you said you were playing on 360. Weird, maybe it's just that version? :S

I hope so. I wouldn't mind buying the Japanese edition for the PS3. But so far the experience has not been pleasant.

Another bug, during the Olga radio conversation with Solidus, near the president, there's something stuck in the upper right of the screen, while aiming the mic. It looks like a piece of texture.
MGS 3 better not have so many bugs. This is ridiculous.

I hope so. I wouldn't mind buying the Japanese edition for the PS3. But so far the experience has not been pleasant.

Another bug, during the Olga radio conversation with Solidus, near the president, there's something stuck in the upper right of the screen, while aiming the mic. It looks like a piece of texture.
MGS 3 better not have so many bugs. This is ridiculous.

I've played through MGS2 and 3 on the 360 and haven't had any bugs or glitches, the games looked flawless.

blamite

Not on 360. Definitely not.

To be fair, I played through MGS2 on the 360 last week and I don't think I've encountered a single one of the problem's you've described, and I'm about halfway through 3 and haven't encountered any issues there. (Games on Demand version, if there's a difference there.)

rvy

Banned
I must the the unluckiest guy who bought it then. Not saying I don't believe what you guys write, but I did find all those bugs I described.

rvy

Banned
ibt9rVJRN8ECLC.gif

Just finished it, greatest game of all time. Wish Kojima made clear what Solidus says before he falls to his death. And that they would have included the cutscene of Arsenal crashing. The transition is terrible, you see AG below the bridge, white stuff and then two guys falling from the sky.

Ein Bear

ibt9rVJRN8ECLC.gif

Just finished it, greatest game of all time. Wish Kojima made clear what Solidus says before he falls to his death. And that they would have included the cutscene of Arsenal crashing. The transition is terrible, you see AG below the bridge, white stuff and then two guys falling from the sky.

Yeah, it would have been really great if they'd included the Arsenal Gear cutscene, that transition still bothers me. I can see why, at the time of release, it might have been inappropriate, but a decade after 9/11 it would have been nice for them to put it back in.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just started a replay of MGS3 HD in what is probably the first time in 6 years.

Game looks stunning and runs smooth as butter, no doubt an amazing port job. I just started Operation Snake Eater, but I forgot how incredibly awkward this game is at times. The Ocelot "battlecry" has to be one of the most silly things in the series.

Just started a replay of MGS3 HD in what is probably the first time in 6 years.

Game looks stunning and runs smooth as butter, no doubt an amazing port job. I just started Operation Snake Eater, but I forgot how incredibly awkward this game is at times. The Ocelot "battlecry" has to be one of the most silly things in the series.

Mwrow!

Also, I love that there's an achievement for the Ocelot Paradox.

FootballFan

Yeah I was contemplating whether to shoot him or not, did not know there was a trophy for it until after I proceeded past that section.

I am just having trouble adjusting to the control scheme and that darn pressure sensitive shoot button. I used to breeze by on the Ps2 back in the day, but now it seems like I am struggling a little bit more.

Game looks really good have not tried MGS2 and PW yet.

rvy

Banned
Not really enjoying Subsistence. The micro-management was bad in 2004 and it didn't age well. Enemies hear everything except stalking and slow crawling. I wish you could crouch walk like in 4.
At least no bugs so far, except for the Snake vs Ocelot cutscene, where Snake's model starts shaking for some reason, when he's being surrounded by Ocelot's Unit. Similar to the Strut F bug that I mentioned in the previous page.
They also managed to mess with the letterbox in Subsistence, the upper half is way too short and the lower half is way too big. Using fullscreen fixes it, but you're shown stuff you're not supposed to see.

Really miss pressure in the face buttons, Microsoft is dumb as hell for removing it.

Collection hasn't really impressed me, tbh. It's decent, but that's it. Games were polished to hell and back when they originally came out, this feels like a step down. Resolution bump is nice and all, so is the increase in framerate for 3, but I prefer the original games. Could be that I'm nitpicking because I know the games all too well and will notice any difference or added issue very easily. It's seems most people don't even experience all the bugs I've mentioned.

The ZOE HD Collection is going to be fun to nitpick. High Voltage? Yeah, OK. We'll see.

Top Bottom