• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

I think we can debate this kind of stuff. It's cool as hell, but it is the kind of stuff that throws development schedules and budgets to hell.

I mean, I remember a Gaffer talking about how there is incredible water and swimming in MGS4. There is no part of the game that requires you to swim, but it is there because of... Kojima!!

Yet, so much of MGS4 seems rushed and unfinished, perhaps if they weren't so obsessed with stuff like ice cubes melting they could have made a more consistent product.

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE MGS and I LOVE the attention to detail. I do however, think what I wrote above could make for interesting discussion/debate.

MGS4 does not seem rushed at all. I can understand the argument that it is inconsistent with its tone but the gameplay and attention to detail is high through the entire experience.

I have read somewhere that the reason for the tone dependencies is simply because certain acts were not designed by kojima. He stepped away from the project only to be asked to step back.

If he was there from the start maybe MGS4 would have come off as well as the earlier titles.

Is there any way to know if I killed someone by accident? Everytime a soldier throws a grenade I spend like 5 minutes wandering around to see if everybody is okay, which is a bit comical/annoying.

Also, is The End's parrot necessary for the "catch all birds" trophy?

Ya it's required

Berksy

Only mainline games i didn't play were 2 and 3 so this collection is gold to me.

Finished my playthrough of MGS 3. How was this game even possible for PS2? Dat jungle, lots of critters, grass and Snake has some kinda minor physics going on for his body all the time too (according to where you get hurt, you will see blood on the uniform and the point is the same in the Cure screen, which is mind blowing as it is still not a standard to this age).

Going for the platinum also shown me the depths of the game a bit. LOTS OF DETAIL. Must be a bitch to code :lol

As i played it the first time, i can say it still holds up well. Still i can't imagine playing this game when it didn't have 3D camera, i would OCD about going to FPS view constantly.

To be honest i didn't like English VO much, The Boss was awesome and Snake was as good as ever but that Para-Medic and Major Zero... Its like i am fighting a man in a cosmonaut suit holding a flamethrower and using a jetpack but they are like reading their lines from paper. We need more DRAMA. I can imagine Japanese VO to be more colorful as i watched some Japanese trailers of the game.

On to the MGS 2 now!

Also Kojima stories tend to become true more or less in time. PMC stuff, genome therapy, internet & media info control... Not 1:1 but you got the idea. Just wait some 10 years for nano machines, you will rike it :lol

I have to say I am a little scared about progressing anymore in Peace Walker HD.

Having done quite a bit of MGS 2 and 3 on my ps3 only to find my save files incompatible, I really have a fear that down the road a true transfaring Vita version of Peace Walker may actually come out...and ill have to start again.

Actually thinking about it now I almost had the same fear when playing MGS4 too, expecting trophy support that never came...thus delaying my repeat plays until late last year.

Maybe I should just suck it up and play it.
then again maybe I should just get back to my VR missions and dogtags and worry about Peace Walker later...

Tiamant

I had forgotten how much fun was The Fury fight and how rage inducing was rolling to extinguish the fire and end up falling to your doom.

Last fun boss though, from now on they all suck :(

Can you explain why you say this? I've only played the first game and I was thinking about using this collection to do a chrono run.

Part of it is to do with the way the gameplay evolves over the four games. MGS1 gives us the classic stealth game of the MSX MG2 but in a fully rendered 3D environment. MGS2 ramps up the AI, guards that sweep through an area methodically, the idea of radios that can be shot out, tranq ammo and other new elements, plus far far better visuals. MGS3, as well as the survival and camoflage aspects introduces CQC. MGS4 finishes by giving you far more options for control, far more moves, and the Octocamo. It evolves over the four games.

The other reason is story. MGS3 contains plenty of small references and in-jokes to 1 and 2 whilst laying the groundwork for 4. The main reason is you'll appreciate the importance of Big Boss's story more if you've already seen the impact his life and his actions had on later games in the series. In the modern games he's left behind a massive legacy that continues to cause chaos on the world, but in the 60's he was just another grunt. You'll appreciate his journey that much more, I think. Same with characters like Ocelot, you'll get used to him as this old villainous guy with a moustache, but then you'll play the prequel and he's this cocky young dude, it works better within the series' narrative if you know what he grows in to.

But yeah, it's up to you if you think you'll prefer doing a chrono run, but personally I wouldn't.

braves01

Banned
Once I'm in intrusion mode, is there any way to get out of it? Because I get a better view in the grass in third-person to be honest.

I don't think so. I always just crawled around near the edge of the grass so the camera pulled back but I still got camo bump.

Part of it is to do with the way the gameplay evolves over the four games. MGS1 gives us the classic stealth game of the MSX MG2 but in a fully rendered 3D environment. MGS2 ramps up the AI, guards that sweep through an area methodically, the idea of radios that can be shot out, tranq ammo and other new elements, plus far far better visuals. MGS3, as well as the survival and camoflage aspects introduces CQC. MGS4 finishes by giving you far more options for control, far more moves, and the Octocamo. It evolves over the four games.

The other reason is story. MGS3 contains plenty of small references and in-jokes to 1 and 2 whilst laying the groundwork for 4. The main reason is you'll appreciate the importance of Big Boss's story more if you've already seen the impact his life and his actions had on later games in the series. In the modern games he's left behind a massive legacy that continues to cause chaos on the world, but in the 60's he was just another grunt. You'll appreciate his journey that much more, I think. Same with characters like Ocelot, you'll get used to him as this old villainous guy with a moustache, but then you'll play the prequel and he's this cocky young dude, it works better within the series' narrative if you know what he grows in to.

But yeah, it's up to you if you think you'll prefer doing a chrono run, but personally I wouldn't.

First time chrono run? Yeah don't do it

Me though, I'm doing a chrono run for this complete play through, as yeah I've seen everything before and want to spice things up

Jawmuncher

With Kojima focusing so much on Big Boss back story now, I really hope it leads into him remaking the first 2 MSX games.

Since while I enjoy them as they are, I would love to see them updated.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Holy crap, this thread basically exploded today, lol.

Can you explain why you say this? I've only played the first game and I was thinking about using this collection to do a chrono run.

Itchy//Tasty already explained it better than I probably could, but on the topic of progression:

It only makes sense to play the game "chronologically" because you consider story A before story B, therefore getting to the logical conclusion of getting to know the story in the right order.

However, some tidbits/revelations are not necessarily tied to the story. Actually, I'd say the way the story is presented to the player IS in the perfect order if you play it 1-4, because the suspension, focus, narrative are structured to be experienced by playing them in that order. Its like starting a book in the middle, then reading the beginning, completely ignoring any kind of progression the author had in mind. An example for that would be the mystery surrounding an event/person. Lets take a hypothetical mystery is developed in game A, which was released before game B. However game A's timeline is happening AFTER game B. Just because the timelines are reversed, does not mean the anticipation/story setup is too. Game A could introduce a mysterious character, where one of the driving mysteries is why that character acts the way he does, which is then explained in game B with his backstory. If you have the "revelatory" moment of game B before game A set up that mystery, you'll miss out on a lot of impact. MGS is full of that stuff.

That only on top of all the references, and gameplay improvements you wont be able to appreciate of course.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Nice post, thanks :).

Just saw this posted.

600267_432064020171725_1616737396_n.jpg

UNIQLO to give away 6 signed Metal Gear Solid HD collection LE Box Sets

Perhaps I just suck(likely) but does anyone else find it hard to line up shot's with a pistol on the vita, the "sensitivity" of the sticks plus the smallness of the enemy's heads?

aett

Perhaps I just suck(likely) but does anyone else find it hard to line up shot's with a pistol on the vita, the "sensitivity" of the sticks plus the smallness of the enemy's heads?

I had trouble with that, too. I was very good at headshots with the PS2 version, but in this version my shots would often hit the wall/object behind the enemy and alert them.

Berksy

Yeah MGS 2 aiming is somewhat weird but you get used to it. Press and hold L.

Is there any way to strafe right and left in FPS VR missions?

Bought this a few days ago and have finally gotten around to playing it.

First impressions: Graphically, it still looks pretty decent... but the controls are SO hard and frustrating when you're used to modern games. I just can't get used to it. Especially the camera views are a pain in the ass.

Also: I remembered the dialogue much less... cheesy.

Starting to think I should just stop playing now. Otherwise, I might damage what might otherwise be good memories of a great game.

This was MGS2 though. Perhaps the controls in MGS3 (with the added camera control) are much better?

Pity I spend €30 on it now.

I have to say I am a little scared about progressing anymore in Peace Walker HD.

Having done quite a bit of MGS 2 and 3 on my ps3 only to find my save files incompatible, I really have a fear that down the road a true transfaring Vita version of Peace Walker may actually come out...and ill have to start again.

Actually thinking about it now I almost had the same fear when playing MGS4 too, expecting trophy support that never came...thus delaying my repeat plays until late last year.

Maybe I should just suck it up and play it.
then again maybe I should just get back to my VR missions and dogtags and worry about Peace Walker later...

I bought peace walker on PSP, never played it, sold my PSP and have a vita now. Once it's ported over will I need to rebuy it?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MGS2's last 2 hours....now I remember why I hated the game. I'd get to sit down for 15 minutes or so and all I would end up doing is continuing a cut scene. Blah.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah MGS 2 aiming is somewhat weird but you get used to it. Press and hold L.

Is there any way to strafe right and left in FPS VR missions?

Finally got to try it. There doesnt seem to be a way to strafe unfortunately.

Someone please confirm me on this. Are the vita oled black spots supposed to stand out a lot in mgs2? When im.hiding in a locker I see them and when I get a call I see them also. Is it supposed to be like this or did I got a faulty vita?

Someone please confirm me on this. Are the vita oled black spots supposed to stand out a lot in mgs2? When im.hiding in a locker I see them and when I get a call I see them also. Is it supposed to be like this or did I got a faulty vita?

Uh not that bad for me but when the screen is COMPLETELY black i'll see some. None in lockers or calls though.

snap0212

I have a question about transfarring that might have been answered in this Thread already. I couldn't find it, though. :( I currently only have the Vita version of the game but I'm planning on getting the PS3 version as well (for Peace Walker mostly). Can I just copy over my save once I get the PS3 version? Will the Trophies unlock that way (on the PS3 version)?

Berksy

I think yes. I was only able to see that lines everybody mentions while playing this game too.
There is something of with in-game dark colors in this title, i guess.

I'm playing MGS2 Vita at the moment
I suck at it pretty badly :lol As soon as I'm spotted I find it easier to get killed and start the room over again than actually escape/return to being hidden
I still find the shooting pretty wonky as well, if they only had introduced gyro controls for the first person shooting it would be so much better

Aside from a few oddities, the game looks awesome, and runs very nice (look like it's 60fps indoors but there are drops)

I've just finished the part with Ames and the directional mic

Omikaru

I have a question about transfarring that might have been answered in this Thread already. I couldn't find it, though. :( I currently only have the Vita version of the game but I'm planning on getting the PS3 version as well (for Peace Walker mostly). Can I just copy over my save once I get the PS3 version? Will the Trophies unlock that way (on the PS3 version)?

You will be able to transfer your Vita saves through WiFi or the cloud to your PS3.

HOWEVER, regarding trophies, you need to have been signed into the PlayStation Network on your Vita when making the initial save. If you weren't, then earned trophies won't carry over.

You'll notice on the save screen there is a "Sign into the PlayStation Network" button (triangle, I think). You need to have pressed that before you saved for the first time (after that, it's not needed). If you made your initial save without signing in, then none of your trophies will carry over.

If you can't carry your trophies over because of this, then you'll need to create a new save file on PS3 or Vita whilst signed in to PSN, and unlock all of those trophies again, in order to have them unlock on PS3.

I was in a similar boat. I'd done a MGS2 run prior to the PS3 version being patched to allow Transfarring, so my trophies didn't transfer over to Vita. I had to play MGS2 quickly on Vita, making a new save file, whilst unlocking the trophies I'd unlocked on my PS3 version in order to get parity. Now I have synchronised save files (and trophies) across MGS2 Story, Missions and Snake Tales, and MGS3 as I was sure to be signed in when I made my initial save on either system. I've had no problems since.

The collectable based trophies will unlock no matter what, the situational ones will only unlock if you did them in your last playthrough. So if you get all the dog tags, Kerotan frogs and camo's, they'll stay saved on your save file but other trophies, like holding up a soldier will be erased if you start a new game+. It doesn't really matter that much if you go for the platinums, as the collectable ones (and VR Missions) are the ones you'll spend most of your time on.

Also, MGS3 has one trophy fairly early in the game (
killing Ocelot
) that results in a game over and will require you to manually do it in each version. The reason for this is that game overs in MGS3 reset everything back to the last checkpoint (when you entered the current area or after the last cutscene), so the save file itself has no memory of what you did just before the game over. This includes kerotan frogs, so if you shoot one and then die, make sure you shoot it again.

Kogepan

I'm playing MGS2 Vita at the moment
I suck at it pretty badly :lol As soon as I'm spotted I find it easier to get killed and start the room over again than actually escape/return to being hidden
I still find the shooting pretty wonky as well, if they only had introduced gyro controls for the first person shooting it would be so much better

Aside from a few oddities, the game looks awesome, and runs very nice (look like it's 60fps indoors but there are drops)

I've just finished the part with Ames and the directional mic

Yeh, I'm having the same impressions playing the game. Still seems amazing that I'm playing this on the go.

Can anyone explain how to do CQC on the vita? Does it involve the touch controls? I'm trying to sneak up and strangle/choke guards from behind with (circle) but doesn't seem to help.

Yopis

Yeh, I'm having the same impressions playing the game. Still seems amazing that I'm playing this on the go.

Can anyone explain how to do CQC on the vita? Does it involve the touch controls? I'm trying to sneak up and strangle/choke guards from behind with (circle) but doesn't seem to help.

In game menu look in basic actions tab. Has all the moves with buttons and videos.Everything is in game from main menu.

g.r.e.

So, I feel a little bit stupid for asking but...
how do I pick enemies up in mgs3? I've tried pressing random buttons, touching, flipping, throwing the console away, but nothing, Snake does not do what I want him to do. :(
Oh, and
it's my first run of mgs3 ever, don't question me.

Put me in the camp of finding the MGS2 story surprisingly palatable
I'm up to the part where I need to go rescue Emma, so there's still a lot left (despite me having played for 10hr30 already)
I can definitely see why it would have been considered a massive clusterfuck following the events of MGS1, as it introduces so many foreign ideas and characters all at once, and I'd agree that the exposition is still quite overbearing at times, but it does all make sense in the grand scheme of things and I feel like Kojima was pretty clever in the way that the plot relates to all of the events both before and after the game.

At the moment I have more questions relating to why Rose is even there, and what the deal with Vamp and the like is, those smaller things seem more confusing than the Patriots and the various characters intentions

I know there's still a lot of exposition (and possible revelation with confusion) set to be unleashed but I'm enjoying the plot so far

So, I feel a little bit stupid for asking but...
how do I pick enemies up in mgs3? I've tried pressing random buttons, touching, flipping, throwing the console away, but nothing, Snake does not do what I want him to do. :(
Oh, and
it's my first run of mgs3 ever, don't question me.

Just hold the square button when you're standing near a body (without having a weapon equipped).

Cyborg

How is the gameplay on Vita? Is it as good as PS3?
I have the HD collection on my Ps3.........is it worth getting on VitA?

Finished MGS2 with 14 hr 40 on the clock
I really liked it
I'd agree that the plot does start to become a bit unfocused towards the end, but that's due more to the writing and not the actual content itself
My general understanding of the plot is that
The Big Shell incident is an imitation of Shadow Moses by The Patriots, in which they stimulated different peoples ambitions in order to propagate and maintain the 'war economy' long after The Patriots themselves are dead - by way of the A.I, which would also go on to control the flow of information in the future.

Like I said in my last post, I can understand why MGS2 got the reaction it did back when it originally released, as Kojima introduced so many different ideas and elements seemingly out of nowhere, but it's obvious he was thinking ahead for future MGS titles when he wrote it

On to MGS3!

Shinriji

Bought it, let's see if this time I can finish MGS3 (I ragequit on the sniper boss when it came out). MGS2 is the version that have the Skate level?

Omikaru

but it's obvious he was thinking ahead for future MGS titles when he wrote it

Actually, MGS2 was meant to be the last in the series (first, as the last MGS game, and later the last in the chronology, though all of that changed with MGS4). The ending is supposed to be open and interpretive, thus the reason for all the inexplicable loose ends. So whilst your evaluation about the war economy and such isn't invalid, I don't think Kojima necessarily had a rock solid plan for the events after MGS2. He wanted it to be up to the fans to decide what happened next.

In fact, so as to not completely sully MGS2's ending, MGS3 was a prequel set in 1964. And a damn fine one at that. You're in for a treat!

Sky Chief

Put me in the camp of finding the MGS2 story surprisingly palatable
I'm up to the part where I need to go rescue Emma, so there's still a lot left (despite me having played for 10hr30 already)
I can definitely see why it would have been considered a massive clusterfuck following the events of MGS1, as it introduces so many foreign ideas and characters all at once, and I'd agree that the exposition is still quite overbearing at times, but it does all make sense in the grand scheme of things and I feel like Kojima was pretty clever in the way that the plot relates to all of the events both before and after the game.

At the moment I have more questions relating to why Rose is even there, and what the deal with Vamp and the like is, those smaller things seem more confusing than the Patriots and the various characters intentions

I know there's still a lot of exposition (and possible revelation with confusion) set to be unleashed but I'm enjoying the plot so far

Up until that point I think the game is almost perfect

PaulLFC

I can get this for just under £20 on Vita, the cheapest in-stock price for the console versions is £26.86 on 360 - is Peace Walker worth the extra £7 if I haven't played it, or should I just get the Vita version and wait for a discount on Peace Walker PSN?

Omikaru

I have mixed feelings about Peace Walker. The game in single player is decent. Co-operative play with a pal who is prepared to go the whole hog with you is amazing. The story is garbage, however, especially towards the end.

It's best to decide on that criteria, really. If you want it for the story, get Peace Walker as cheap as possible. If you have a buddy to co-op with, make sure you both get the same version so you can do that. If single player is what you're interested in, I can't really help you as it's going to be personal taste as to whether you want to go through all of that on your own.

What I can say is that the controls aren't great on the PSP version, even when using the extra analog stick on Vita for the camera. Maybe that will be a deciding factor on your platform of choice.

PaulLFC

I have mixed feelings about Peace Walker. The game in single player is decent. Co-operative play with a pal who is prepared to go the whole hog with you is amazing. The story is garbage, however, especially towards the end.

It's best to decide on that criteria, really. If you want it for the story, get Peace Walker as cheap as possible. If you have a buddy to co-op with, make sure you both get the same version so you can do that. If single player is what you're interested in, I can't really help you as it's going to be personal taste as to whether you want to go through all of that on your own.

What I can say is that the controls aren't great on the PSP version, even when using the extra analog stick on Vita for the camera. Maybe that will be a deciding factor on your platform of choice.
Thanks. Unless I can convince my brother to either pick up the console version (would have to play it on 360, as his PS3 is broken), or we both buy it off PSN, I wouldn't be playing it in co-op. I'd mainly be judging it on single player, so if the story isn't great, I may just save the money and get the Vita version. Then I can either wait for a cheap deal on Peace Walker on PSN, or rent the console version from Lovefilm in the future to play though it.

Thanks for the info :)

Ein Bear

Snake Variety Mission 4 is hair pullingly frustrating... I dunno if it's the Vita's sticks, but the sniper rifle is pure ASS.

Cyborg

Where can I get good playtrough videos from mgs experst? I wanna see how they play on extreme? I need good quality vidos

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
I finished MGS2 for the first time last night and was a bit confused with the ending sequence.
What was the point of the whole "something to live for, you pass on what you can" message? Were they trying to give a life lesson or something?

Snowballo

MGS3 Question

Quoting another post above:
"I suck at it pretty badly :lol As soon as I'm spotted I find it easier to get killed and start the room over again than actually escape/return to being hidden"

Do I have to be killed to retry or is it a way to start immediately from the last checkpoint?
Thanks.

Is there an easier way to sneak up on the guards in MGS3? There's no sneak button I take it like in MGS4, you just have to slowly press the stick to move very quietly?

Omikaru

I finished MGS2 for the first time last night and was a bit confused with the ending sequence.
What was the point of the whole "something to live for, you pass on what you can" message? Were they trying to give a life lesson or something?

It relates to the theme of the first game, which was what you pass on in your genes. MGS2 was about things you can't pass on in your genes (aka memes), such as information and so on. I thought much of MGS2's story was central to that theme.

That's it summed into real simplicity. Read this ending analysis if you want a good insight into what Kojima was trying to do.

Top Bottom