• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

kodt

Banned
Probably a stupid question with a simple answer I'm overlooking SOMEWHERE... But is there a good source of how the controls translated somewhere? Things like the locker kissing, tiptoes and such actually took me a ridiculous amount of time to 'figure out' (maybe I'm just too dense)

Thanks in advance

It's all in the game manual. You can access it from the live screen.

Tiptoes peeking is done be using two fingers on the rear touchpad and expanding them. I haven't been able to "locker kiss" yet in MGS2, did you figure that one out?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Tiptoes peeking is done be using two fingers on the rear touchpad and expanding them. I haven't been able to "locker kiss" yet in MGS2, did you figure that one out?

Trap yourself in a locked with the sexy posters then "pinch" (tapping front and backpad at the same spot" the corners of the screen. You'll notice that Snakes view is shifting towards the poster. Just try it randomly with all corners and 2 corners at once and it will probably pop up.

So I have the PS3 version and I'm about to buy the Vita version, how will trophies work? What if I unlock a trophy on the Vita version and continue my playthrough on the PS3 version, will the trophy pop up on the PS3 one? does it count as two throphies?

Basically you have to start a new save in the PS3 version and from there, either by cloud or directly connecting via Transfarring, the save is shared between the PS3 and Vita version. Yes, if you unlock a trophy in either (that you haven't unlocked before/after a new save), it unlocks in both versions

Example, I finished my first playthrough last week on my Vita, syched it to the cloud, booted it up on PS3 and got 3 trophies (^___^)

It's a fantastic system that yeah, will probably get overlooked

george_us

Beating MGS2 again 10 years later gives me a new perspective on the game, especially the crazy stuff towards the end which isn't really all that crazy anymore. I mean the stuff about
Otacon boning his mother
is still dumb but the conversation between Raiden and the Patriots is more relevant today than back then. They were right to fear the internet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Beating MGS2 again 10 years later gives me a new perspective on the game, especially the crazy stuff towards the end which isn't really all that crazy anymore. I mean the stuff about
Otacon boning his mother
is still dumb but the conversation between Raiden and the Patriots is more relevant today than back then. They were right to fear the internet.

I actually had a similar line of thought when replaying it. The char design is completely over the top of course, but the main topics? Good games.

Eusis

Yeah, I end up feeling like Twitter and Facebook arguably vindicate that insane spiel. Though I guess if it were made today they'd also try sneaking in jokes about Hideo Kojima's constant food tweets.

Basically you have to start a new save in the PS3 version and from there, either by cloud or directly connecting via Transfarring, the save is shared between the PS3 and Vita version. Yes, if you unlock a trophy in either (that you haven't unlocked before/after a new save), it unlocks in both versions

Example, I finished my first playthrough last week on my Vita, syched it to the cloud, booted it up on PS3 and got 3 trophies (^___^)

It's a fantastic system that yeah, will probably get overlooked

I wouldn't be so complimentary about it because it does have its flaws. Unlike Motorstorm RC, which transfers your overall progress between systems, transfarring only transfers over your saves, which only hold so much. For instance, when you start a NG+ playthrough, collectables carry over (like dogtags, camo's, etc) but everything else from the first playthrough is lost. So if you go through MGS3 without killing anyone, start a NG+ and save over the old save, it won't unlock the 'playthrough without killing anyone' trophy when you transfar it. It's kinda dumb if you don't know about it beforehand and almost made me have to start a new playthrough (though luckily my old save was backed up).

One other thing is that dying resets progress to the last checkpoint, so there's one MGS3 trophy in particular that you HAVE to manually do on each system (
Ocelot Time Paradox
). Luckily it's really early in the game, so it's not a big hassle.

kodt

Banned
Otacon boning his mother

I agree. After playing MGS1 again, MGS3, and MGS4. Playing MGS2 doesn't seem so crazy anymore. I remember not liking the story the first time I played it, thinking it was too stupid and convoluted. But now I think it was actually a very good story, and a great game. Once you understand more of the over-arching story, MGS2 actually fits in quite well.

Tiamant

The more I'm playing these games the more I hate MGS4.

They spent 10 years creating all this mystery for what? Nanomachines hurr durr!

Skyzard

Banned
I share some of these feelings about seeing the story in a new way.

There was a different level to games back then. We were too young :(

Any other rather popular game series like that? Makes me slightly nervous about replaying FFIX and FVII when PSone support lands but hopefully they will still hold up.

Just got the game from Amazon.co.uk and played for an hour. Damn...I suck at the controls. I even can't remember how to cancel shooting the gun and the 'isometric' view confuses me in MGS2 :S
In my memory the game had great controls and was played in 3D. Guess I need some more practice. Really loving it so far though.

Toma

Just got the game from Amazon.co.uk and played for an hour. Damn...I suck at the controls. I even can't remember how to cancel shooting the gun and the 'isometric' view confuses me in MGS2 :S
In my memory the game had great controls and was played in 3D. Guess I need some more practice. Really loving it so far though.

Down on the D-pad.

Otacon boning his mother

The Otacon thing isn't as weird since there's no relation + if you watch bill n ted movies (not joking)

aett

Otacon boning his mother

Yeah, the Patriots/Internet plan sounded dumb ten years ago but it was ahead of its time.

I'm not sure why people keep forgetting that it was Otacon's stepmom and not his real mother. In any case, by that point in the game I was so sick of sudden character revelations so I remember just thinking "god damn it, the story was just starting to pick up, just DROP IT."

Anyway, I beat MGS3 this weekend (first time for the HD version, something like the seventh time all around). Got the tschukinoko and zero kills, but damn, I made so many mistakes and I kept getting noticed throughout the game. The funny part for me is that I always do really well during the mountain part, but I always screw up in the last area before you meet Eva in the cabin (the part with all the trenches)... but this time, I screwed up at a simple part before that area and I ended up getting through the trench part with no problems.

What ended up happening to me a lot was I would enter an area, think "okay, I remember this place, I just gotta sneak over here and then go there and there'll be no problems", but then I would get INSTANTLY noticed by a guard who I failed to realize was coming around the corner. I really need to start using the various sonar/motion detector/AP sensor tools more often.

So is it me or is MGS3 the most stunning game on Vita? Having some trouble with the finer points of controls though, especially CQC. These are simply incredible remasterings, though.

DESTROYA

Stupid question time :

ON the main screen 3 is listed before 2, I know the timeline is ass backwards 3 then 2 but for some reason I'm compelled to play 2 then 3.....arghhhh not sure which order to play the games. Which is the best way to go guys?

Tambini

Stupid question time :

ON the main screen 3 is listed before 2, I know the timeline is ass backwards 3 then 2 but for some reason I'm compelled to play 2 then 3.....arghhhh not sure which order to play the games. Which is the best way to go guys?

I'm playing 2 before 3 as I just completed 1 and seems to make more sense that way.

Toma

Stupid question time :

1->2->3->4

Only order to play them in really.

Jawmuncher

I just wanted to ask...
Am I the only one who has a bit of trouble with the Snake Tales.

Mainly the boss fights.
Took me FOREVER to beat vamp as snake, and I was sucking agaisnt the ray's.
Though I blame a little bit on not playing the game for awhile.

braves01

Banned
I just wanted to ask...
Am I the only one who has a bit of trouble with the Snake Tales.

Mainly the boss fights.
Took me FOREVER to beat vamp as snake, and I was sucking agaisnt the ray's.
Though I blame a little bit on not playing the game for awhile.

No, you're not the only one. I think some of the scenarios are set on harder difficulty levels.

I actually had a similar line of thought when replaying it. The char design is completely over the top of course, but the main topics? Good games.

Yeah have to agree with the theme of the game.

Playing this now has given me a whole new level of appreciation for the plot. All that stuff about censoring and controlling of information to the masses and hence what future generations will remember. Excellent stuff, ahead of its time.

I'm having so much fun playing MGS2 again. I used to know that game in and out (played through it over and over as a kid) and even though there's lots of little things I still remember, it still feels really fresh to me.

I don't really care what people say about the story, I find the cutscenes and codec conversations very enjoyable still. And I just love collecting dog tags!

"Freeze!"
"Are you going to sho-"
*Shoots guard in arm*

I guess I didn't really read enough of that in-game manual... Probably should have before I asked really... :/ For kissing, see......

Trap yourself in a locked with the sexy posters then "pinch" (tapping front and backpad at the same spot" the corners of the screen. You'll notice that Snakes view is shifting towards the poster. Just try it randomly with all corners and 2 corners at once and it will probably pop up.

For me, it worked by placing my thumbs right above the item and weapons select and dragging upward... I'm pretty sure I wasn't touching the backpad at all... But maybe I just didn't realize it at the time.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
I'm at the part in MGS2 where I'm supposed to 'guide' a rocket through the vents to destroy the control panels in the room where the president is. Approximately how much longer would you think I have to completing the game (w/out spoiling anything for please. I've been avoiding the courteous tags :D )?

I'm at the part in MGS2 where I'm supposed to 'guide' a rocket through the vents to destroy the control panels in the room where the president is. Approximately how much longer would you think I have to completing the game (w/out spoiling anything for please. I've been avoiding the courteous tags :D )?

You're about halfway.

While the presentation sure was wacky, I really think in the next 10-20 years the power of nano-machines will prove to not be so far fetched after all. Think of billions of machines inside your body manipulating things at an atomic level, some of the best and brightest are working on this right now.

What are you talking about? Every game with the exception of MGS3 has talked about nanomachines. The story wasn't focused on them at all. They were always a reality in that universe.

FFFUUUUUUUUU

I MISSED A FROG SOMEWHERE!!!

10 fucking hours!

UUUGGGH

Thankfully they carry over to your next playthrough but still ....shit is so demoralizing

aett

FFFUUUUUUUUU

I MISSED A FROG SOMEWHERE!!!

10 fucking hours!

UUUGGGH

Thankfully they carry over to your next playthrough but still ....shit is so demoralizing

They carry over?? Damn, I should have tagged several of them that were in out-of-the-way places that I otherwise wouldn't need to visit on a second playthrough.

I think I'm done

I don't wanna hate MGS3 and have gotten the trophies I really wanted (no kills). At this point, a platinum just isn't worth the investment, not to mention its really become unfun work... And for what? I little ding that no one gives a shit about

I think it's time to move on to Peacewalker HD

Koroviev

I think I'm done

I don't wanna hate MGS3 and have gotten the trophies I really wanted (no kills). At this point, a platinum just isn't worth the investment, not to mention its really become unfun work... And for what? I little ding that no one gives a shit about

Is that a zing, or do you have the PS3 collection?

Ridley327

I think I'm done

Boy, if you're complaining about grinding in MGS3...

Ridley327

lol, yeah, I heard about MGS2. No thanks. Same for Peacewalker

If anything, this whole experience just reminded me why I shouldn't give a shit about trophies/achievements as a whole.

Even to get through the whole story in Peace Walker is an insane grind, although I wouldn't blame you for giving up after completing Act 4. You're probably better off never playing the game again once you beat Act 4, really.

Fox1304

I had forgotten how full of details mgs2 is ... just incredible. There are no games that can pretend to do half of whay this game did. Melting ice cubes ... A plasma TV that dies accordingly to where you shoot it... Guards that shoot the lights when they habe thermal googles... Shooting a steam pipe on a guard hurts him ... Steam on the camera when you enter a closed room from outside ... And thousand of other little, nearly always missable things that show us how much love has gone in this game, truly of the best ever made.
And oh how it shines on the Vita ...
Those two games on the palm of my hand ? Pure bliss.

Glix

I had forgotten how full of details mgs2 is ... just incredible. There are no games that can pretend to do half of whay this game did. Melting ice cubes ... A plasma TV that dies accordingly to where you shoot it... Guards that shoot the lights when they habe thermal googles... Shooting a steam pipe on a guard hurts him ... Steam on the camera when you enter a closed room from outside ... And thousand of other little, nearly always missable things that show us how much love has gone in this game, truly of the best ever made.
And oh how it shines on the Vita ...
Those two games on the palm of my hand ? Pure bliss.

I think we can debate this kind of stuff. It's cool as hell, but it is the kind of stuff that throws development schedules and budgets to hell.

I mean, I remember a Gaffer talking about how there is incredible water and swimming in MGS4. There is no part of the game that requires you to swim, but it is there because of... Kojima!!

Yet, so much of MGS4 seems rushed and unfinished, perhaps if they weren't so obsessed with stuff like ice cubes melting they could have made a more consistent product.

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE MGS and I LOVE the attention to detail. I do however, think what I wrote above could make for interesting discussion/debate.

Ridley327

I was always under the impression that MGS4's development difficulties wound up being the result of the PS3 ending up underpowered from what KojiPro were targeting with the initial render, rather than them getting caught up in the details. I mean, they had to dump the whole destructable environments aspect and they still couldn't get the game running at 60 fps.

Fox1304

I think we can debate this kind of stuff. It's cool as hell, but it is the kind of stuff that throws development schedules and budgets to hell.

I mean, I remember a Gaffer talking about how there is incredible water and swimming in MGS4. There is no part of the game that requires you to swim, but it is there because of... Kojima!!

Yet, so much of MGS4 seems rushed and unfinished, perhaps if they weren't so obsessed with stuff like ice cubes melting they could have made a more consistent product.

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE MGS and I LOVE the attention to detail. I do however, think what I wrote above could make for interesting discussion/debate.

Speaking only about mgs2, I think that no one could have told it was unpolished at the time. Sure, it had its problems ( story wise and some rythm issues ), but it was an incredible experience.

I've always loved attention to detail. It gives an incredible power of immersion on a game. How many time have I asked myself " wow, they even went there ? " on this game is incredible. It's always the small details that leave the biggest marks in our memories.

Edit : also, I think too that those details mistn't have proprity on development, and polish. They are the icing on top of the cupcake ( hungryyyyyy nooooow), but if the cake is bad, who cares about the delicious icing ( brb, need cupcakes) ?

Tiamant

Is there any way to know if I killed someone by accident? Everytime a soldier throws a grenade I spend like 5 minutes wandering around to see if everybody is okay, which is a bit comical/annoying.

Also, is The End's parrot necessary for the "catch all birds" trophy?

Once I'm in intrusion mode, is there any way to get out of it? Because I get a better view in the grass in third-person to be honest.

Top Bottom