• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
It relates to the theme of the first game, which was what you pass on in your genes. MGS2 was about things you can't pass on in your genes (aka memes), such as information and so on. I thought much of MGS2's story was central to that theme.

That's it summed into real simplicity. Read this ending analysis if you want a good insight into what Kojima was trying to do.

Thanks for the info! I'll give that site a read later on today.

Definitely enjoying mgs3. Is it normal for the enemies to notice you right before you grab them with O, even while I'm holding down L?

Ein Bear

Sorry if it's slightly off-topic, but this seems like the best place to ask: is Portable Ops worth a playthrough? It's the only MGS I haven't played, and I'm wondering if the Vita's second stick helps with the control issues I've heard it suffers from?

Omikaru

The Vita makes it better, I imagine, but Portale Ops' problems are more than its controls. The story sucks, for starters. That's worth considering before you jump in.

Personally, I can't remember much from the gameplay, so I won't leave a rock solid evaluation on that, but I remember it being decidedly unremarkable.

Cornbread78

anyone have a VITA control list for MGS2? I can't get the choke out move to work, and it's getting impossible to pass certain areas when I have to pull out my Socom and shoot all the time...

SmithnCo

anyone have a VITA control list for MGS2? I can't get the choke out move to work, and it's getting impossible to pass certain areas when I have to pull out my Socom and shoot all the time...

The chokehold? Unequip your weapon and hold square when behind a soldier.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just finished MGS2. My god what an amazing, deep, addictive game. Insane that something so big fits a tiny Vita card.

And compared to MGS4 I completed it's hard as nails. 19h, 184 deaths for my first Normal playthrough. No wonder I didn't have the patience in my early twenties to play very far.

The storyline of MGS2 makes me much more excited about MG Rising.

Now, off to MGS3, most view that as the best MGS ever, right? I only remember that I didn't even get through the forrest as a young man back in the day.

SS4Rob

Does Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake transfar? I had started playing it on the PS3, and was hoping to continue on the Vita, but I don't see an option where this data carries over. My MGS2 & 3 data from Vita to PS3 transfarred great, giving me trophies too since I started on Vita while connected to PSN, and I'm hoping the same is true for the MSX games as well.

KalBalboa

Banned
The PlayStation Blogcast announced that the MGS 2 & 3 HD versions will both be getting PSN releases this coming Tuesday for Vita & PS3.

I own the HD collection for PS3 and I already played through Snake Eater on it, so I might pick up Sons of Liberty for Vita if it's $15-20.

MickeyPhree

I'm going for the platinum on both 2 and 3. Some of those VR missions in 2 are so hard to do with the Vitas stick that I have resorted to playing many of them on the PS3. Sniping im looking at you.

Omikaru

Ok Sony, I'm ready for you to announce that this game qualifies for cross buy.

*twiddles thumbs*

Yep. Any day now.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with the individual releases of the games on the PS Store.

Up to Konami in the end, though.

Finished MGS3 for the second time in years and hot damn this is a hell of a game.
The entire ending sequence was so gaddam gorgeous on the Vita screen. I might upload some screens I took later.

Did a no kill, no alert run and now its time to mess around with teh stealth.

Chris_C

Picked this up over the weekend, and sort of enjoying it so far. I played through Sons of Liberty when it fist came out, but I barely remember anything once you get to the oil tanker, except the ending. I only played about 20 minutes of MGS3 before deciding the controls were too horribly broken. Willing to give it a chance again though!

One thing... when you press up against a wall indoors, the perspective changes... and suddenly what was originally left on the analog stick becomes right, and right becomes left. Does this happen for anyone else? Kinda game-breaking.

so1337

So, I finished MGS2 and loved it. I will say once you get to Shell 2 the gameplay just isn't as enjoyable as it is on Shell 1. Thankfully the finale makes up for it.

So now I'm playing MGS3 and I'm strangely...not enjoying it (apart from the story). I'm triggering alarms left and right and the controls get in my way more often than not. It doesn't help that the healing-system punishes you even further for playing badly.

BadWolf

So, I finished MGS2 and loved it. I will say once you get to Shell 2 the gameplay just isn't as enjoyable as it is on Shell 1. Thankfully the finale makes up for it.

So now I'm playing MGS3 and I'm strangely...not enjoying it (apart from the story). I'm triggering alarms left and right and the controls get in my way more often than not. It doesn't help that the healing-system punishes you even further for playing badly.

Learn some CQC, the ground head smash at the very least. Will make life much easier. You are supposed walk slowly when close to the enemy to sneak up on them but you can actually just run up and grab them into CQC. If you run up then they will get an exclamation mark over their head and turn around but that won't count as an alert and you will be able to grab and KO them before it triggers.

Make sure to carry as little as needed on you (equip and unequip items in the menu), the less you carry the less you will worry about your stamina (I mostly carried just a gun and barely ever needed to replenish stamina).

Don't forget to use the camo function, it helps a lot with sneaking.

But yeah, overall some adjustment will be required, especially if you used to rely on the radar in MGS1 and 2. Once you get a hang of it I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

so1337

But yeah, overall some adjustment will be required, especially if you used to rely on the radar in MGS1 and 2. Once you get a hang of it I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.
The thing is I used to play MGS3 back in the day and I seem to recall being at least proficient at that game. It's just weird to me that my ability to not suck at MGS2 doesn't carry over to the sequel much at all.

Learn some CQC, the ground head smash at the very least. Will make life much easier. You are supposed walk slowly when close to the enemy to sneak up on them but you can actually just run up and grab them into CQC. If you run up then they will get an exclamation mark over their head and turn around but that won't count as an alert and you will be able to grab and KO them before it triggers.
Oh, right. Ground Smash. I remember that. The standard combo attack didn't do much against Ocelot's Unit. Motherfuckers would stab me before I even got a hit in.

Make sure to carry as little as needed on you (equip and unequip items in the menu), the less you carry the less you will worry about your stamina (I mostly carried just a gun and barely ever needed to replenish stamina).

Don't forget to use the camo function, it helps a lot with sneaking.
Hmm, I've been wondering why they don't just let you carry everything like they do in MGS2. That certainly explains it.

As far as the camo system goes: I have been using it but I had to learn the hard way that it doesn't necessarily work if a soldier is standing right in front of you (unless you're hidden in tall grass).

BadWolf

The thing is I used to play MGS3 back in the day and I seem to recall being at least proficient at that game. It's just weird to me that my ability to not suck at MGS2 doesn't carry over to the sequel much at all.

Its more a change of setting probably since you got used to the more traditional indoors stealth in MGS2. Here its a more open environment so it has to be approached differently, just take it slower and be more patient.

Oh, right. Ground Smash. I remember that. The standard combo attack didn't do much against Ocelot's Unit. Motherfuckers would stab me before I even got a hit in.

Generally speaking CQC is not a good idea in an alert phase, them countering you is almost guaranteed. If you really need to get through you can try knocking them over by rolling. Stun grenades work pretty well against the Ocelot unit btw (instant KO).

Also, don't forget that you can interrogate as part of CQC. Some will tell radio frequencies for stuff like turning an alarm off or healing.

As far as the camo system goes: I have been using it but I had to learn the hard way that it doesn't necessarily work if a soldier is standing right in front of you (unless you're hidden in tall grass).

Yeah you can't really do that unless you have a really high camo index (over 95% or so iirc), even then its risky. Generally speaking, be it you are using camo or a box etc, its best to stay out of their patrol path, because if they encounter something in that path that is when they get curious.

so1337

BadWolf said:
Also, don't forget that you can interrogate as part of CQC. Some will tell radio frequencies for stuff like turning an alarm off or healing.
This is part of the reason why love this series so much. The attention to detail really is second to none. Yesterday I found out (via the trophy list) that you can catch glimpses of
Vamp
standing in the background in the ending of MGS2. INSANITY.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try to approach the enemy encounters a bit more carefully.

injurai

Banned
This was brought up in the GZ thread. But is their an option to change the X and O buttons maps on the HD Collection games? I heard the layout was switched.

Omikaru

This was brought up in the GZ thread. But is their an option to change the X and O buttons maps on the HD Collection games? I heard the layout was switched.

The layout was only switched for the menus (so no more pressing 'X' and going back to the Start screen). Gameplay remains unchanged.

But to answer the question anyway, as far as I know, there's no way to map buttons, though I think there's a number of controller presets available.

I am having some issues with the input lag when snake does that forward roll (press X when running)

Is this bothering anybody else? It's quite a decent amount of lag.Other than this it's a decent port I guess.I must admit using the right shoulder button to aim then pressing square feels weird.

so1337

I am having some issues with the input lag when snake does that forward roll (press X when running)
Didn't notice anything like that. In MGS3 there's a small delay between pressing the R-Button and switching to first person. I believe that is intentional however.

Speaking of MGS3, I fought The End yesterday. That might've been one of the most intense experiences I've ever had in a game. I never approached this boss fight "properly" back in the day. It's so much better if you actually take your time, scope out the environment, advance ever so slowly, scope again etc. Then you hear his breath (which is really unconfortable with headphones on). Then, a reflection. You see him hiding in the tall grass. You take the shot.

The tension was almost too much at times. One time I was scanning the valley from a cliff when I noticed him doing the same thing maybe 10 feet away from me.

televator

Didn't notice anything like that. In MGS3 there's a small delay between pressing the R-Button and switching to first person. I believe that is intentional however.

Speaking of MGS3, I fought The End yesterday. That might've been one of the most intense experiences I've ever had in a game. I never approached this boss fight "properly" back in the day. It's so much better if you actually take your time, scope out the environment, advance ever so slowly, scope again etc. Then you hear his breath (which is really unconfortable with headphones on). Then, a reflection. You see him hiding in the tall grass. You take the shot.

The tension was almost too much at times. One time I was scanning the valley from a cliff when I noticed him doing the same thing maybe 10 feet away from me.

I fought him non-lethally in my last play through. Old geezer can run! If you chase him he'll wait for you around the next corner, but I caught on to that. Spot him again from a good distance and get around him. He's quite a rewarding boss If you don't take the easy way out.

I also like eating his damn bird just to piss him off too. :p

so1337

I fought him non-lethally in my last play through. Old geezer can run! If you chase him he'll wait for you around the next corner, but I caught on to that. Spot him again from a good distance and get around him. He's quite a rewarding boss If you don't take the easy way out.
Or rather, one of the several easy ways out.
I also like eating his damn bird just to piss him off too. :p
Hah! Didn't know you could do that. :D

N30RYU

I got a question about the digital version of Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection pack for Vita.
Are the two games in a single bubble or you get a bubble for MGS2 and another for MGS3?

Omikaru

I got a question about the digital version of Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection pack for Vita.
Are the two games in a single bubble or you get a bubble for MGS2 and another for MGS3?

Single bubble. You can buy each game individually, however. In that case, they both get their own bubble. I think it works out at the same price too.

Top Bottom