• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Probably a stupid question with a simple answer I'm overlooking SOMEWHERE... But is there a good source of how the controls translated somewhere? Things like the locker kissing, tiptoes and such actually took me a ridiculous amount of time to 'figure out' (maybe I'm just too dense)

Thanks in advance

Kazerei

Banned
I just played through MGS3 again. So good, it's definitely my favorite of the MGS series, mainly because I really enjoyed the outdoor environments. The feeling of openness and the nature ambience was a breath of fresh air for the series. Indoor areas just seem kinda stifled in comparison. My favorite part of MGS3 is
the three Sokrovenno areas after killing The End early.
That is some awesome stealth action right there. Finding all the enemies and quietly dispatching them without being found yourself. Mmmyeah.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how does the game handle the lack of L2/R2? I have the game but I'm replaying MGS first on vita (via remote play). I'm using the rear touch panel for L2/R2 which is ok-ish, but now and then it'll trigger when I don't want it to (touch panel is just too close to your normal holding position)

But select+button seems like it'd be even worse

I just played through MGS3 again. So good, it's definitely my favorite of the MGS series, mainly because I really enjoyed the outdoor environments. The feeling of openness and the nature ambience was a breath of fresh air for the series. Indoor areas just seem kinda stifled in comparison. My favorite part of MGS3 is
the three Sokrovenno areas after killing The End early.
That is some awesome stealth action right there. Finding all the enemies and quietly dispatching them without being found yourself. Mmmyeah.

I always do that too. Way more fun toying with those Ocelot units. The game needed a few more stealth workouts like that.

Mzo

Add me to the group of people who played through MGS3 their first time not knowing about stalking and getting caught by every soldier in the world. I'm sure they tell you in-game somewhere, but yeah I basically suffered through the original, crap camera version of that game without being able to sneak up on anybody. Looking forward to playing it again on the Vita.

The reason they changed it to a specific action is that it requires the use of energy, so you have to choose to go into stalk mode either by using the dpad or holding down L on the Vita.

From previous discussions in other forums, there really was a large number of people who never knew about stalking in MGS3. I wonder how that affected their perception of the game.

EekTheKat

how does the game handle the lack of L2/R2? I have the game but I'm replaying MGS first on vita (via remote play). I'm using the rear touch panel for L2/R2 which is ok-ish, but now and then it'll trigger when I don't want it to (touch panel is just too close to your normal holding position)

But select+button seems like it'd be even worse

in MGS3 it's touch the weapon or item icon, and it will bring up a mini scoll list of items equipped to go through. It actually works fairly well.

Basically instead of using L2/R2, just touch the icons.

the mark

There must have been voice recordings for the vita-version...when Otacon explains the controls of hanging, he's speaking of using the rear touchpad.
Nice touch!

Just beat mgs3 on Vita. Still teared up a bit even though I knew what was coming.

The writing is so bad. But the visuals and the music covey so much emotion.

I think kojima should try making a silent game next time with no dialog. Or use a fake language like Ico. Dialog is his weak point.

true Gek

Amazon.uk has the gama unavailable now with no release date at all, the hell :x
Really? =/ Shit! My copy is "Not yet dispatched" even if the delivery date is today but the book that I ordered with the game is ready to ship... GRRRR

EDIT: Now, at 01:08 my MGS HD Collection for vita is turned in "Dispatched soon"

MEH

Glix

Amazing

Awg6n1zCEAAF6iY.jpg:medium

Omikaru

This is truly incredible. MGS2 is one of my favourite games ever, and I'm playing it on a MOTHERFUCKING HANDHELD!

This will completely change the way I do my yearly playthroughs of MGS, MGS2 and MGS3. I'm no longer tied to the house to play these incredible games for hours on end. Just Transfar and go.

I doubt I'll touch MGS3 for months; I'll be blasting away in MGS2 for ages, doing all the VR Missions and unlocking trophies.

A quick question: I beat MGS2 on PS3 a few months back, but I plan to replay it on Vita on the easiest difficulty to unlock all the story trophies that I can't unlock through Transfarring as my save is pre-patch. Can I skip the cutscenes and still unlock the trophies, or will it miss the trophy by skipping the cutscene?

suikodan

This is truly incredible. MGS2 is one of my favourite games ever, and I'm playing it on a MOTHERFUCKING HANDHELD!

This will completely change the way I do my yearly playthroughs of MGS, MGS2 and MGS3. I'm no longer tied to the house to play these incredible games for hours on end. Just Transfar and go.

I doubt I'll touch MGS3 for months; I'll be blasting away in MGS2 for ages, doing all the VR Missions and unlocking trophies.

A quick question: I beat MGS2 on PS3 a few months back, but I plan to replay it on Vita on the easiest difficulty to unlock all the story trophies that I can't unlock through Transfarring as my save is pre-patch. Can I skip the cutscenes and still unlock the trophies, or will it miss the trophy by skipping the cutscene?

I'm doing exactly what you're doing with MGS2. I transfarred my PS3 save on Vita with trophies disabled but ended wiping all my save data, restart the game and get the trophies so I skipped the cutscenes but got the story trophy.

Omikaru

I'm doing exactly what you're doing with MGS2. I transfarred my PS3 save on Vita with trophies disabled but ended wiping all my save data, restart the game and get the trophies so I skipped the cutscenes but got the story trophy.

Okay, that's good, thanks. Will get cracking on that. :)

Jarmel

Banned
Please tell me there is a drop to 30FPs on the plant(I know there is on the Tanker) when you go outside. It even looks like the lip syncing is off.

legacyzero

Banned
Finally got to buy this. Quadruple dipped on the PS2 MGS's.

This game is PERFECT on the Vita! Working my way through the VR missions now.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
With frustrating hard bossfight if you play this offline....

Oh god yeah. My memory about this is clouded, making me only remember the good parts about this game. Nonetheless enjoyed it VERY much though.

Just hit the weapon button twice

Tap it, on the touch screen.

hertog

Such a great port. Maybe the best looking game on the Vita together with Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

Haven't played these games in years. I really just want to play Snake Eater, but I promised myself to first beat MGS2.

The one thing I like a lot more in part 2, is that you still have a radar like in MGS1.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Such a great port. Maybe the best looking game on the Vita together with Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

Haven't played these games in years. I really just want to play Snake Eater, but I promised myself to first beat MGS2.

The one thing I like a lot more in part 2, is that you still have a radar like in MGS1.
Yeah, I prefer the gameplay of 2 over 3 actually. I also like the indoor environements better where its perfectly clear whether you are seen or not.

On my second play through trying to get all 64 Frogs as well as Camos/Masks ....and fuck, I missed the snow face paint and you can't go back after Ocelot fight =(

Guess I got yet another playthrough to look forward to...

legacyzero

Banned
This is so damn good.

I havn't even gotten to the ACTUAL games yet. The VR missions are simply AMAZING.

It makes me wonder why MGS4 never got the same type of directors cut that MGS2 got =/

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
When I started MGS2 on PS Vita and heard the MGS2 theme, watched the intro cutscene, and saw the graphics of the realtime bridge sequence I was like "wow... I am playing this on a handheld and it looks even better than I remember it looking on TV". I hope more and more PS2 HD classics get on Vita... hopefully a new and corrected SH: HD Collection too. I would like Sony to port their HD collections (GOW and ICO+SotC) instead of planning an improved Remote Play option for the latter.

Gorgeous MGS2 release!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It really needed a big set of VR missions. The mechanics in this game could have been explored in much greater depth there.

Some people say that MGS4's codebase is a clusterfuck of epic proportions and seeing how they did not bother to add Trophies to it and the very frequent and long loading pauses even though the game installs a lot of data to the HDD before every chapter... well, it makes me think this rumor might be a reality or be close enough to it. If so, it must have been painful to work at KojiPro during that time... still, it is also sad because some of the game areas look incredibly good. I liked the game overall.

Maybe KojiPro will wait to port MGS4 to the Fox Engine and then re-release it on PS Vita too (scaled down where needed).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never played 3 or 4 very much. I think I was so familiar with the more grid based MGS 1&2, and visible guard view cones etc, that the more free roam nature of the latter two games frustrate me a bit.

I'm having trouble with aiming in MGS2. In MGS3 holding L in first-person mode lets you fine-tune aiming, but doing that in MGS2 seems to make me lock-on to a target instead, most of the time. Is there a way to disable this lock-on effect when holding L?

I'm having trouble with aiming in MGS2. In MGS3 holding L in first-person mode lets you fine-tune aiming, but doing that in MGS2 seems to make me lock-on to a target instead, most of the time. Is there a way to disable this lock-on effect when holding L?

Doubt it (I mean, there's no way to disable melee attacks with touchpad in MGS3 either). Lock-on is all there was in OG MGS2 as well.

FaceDa

Banned
Oh man I transferred Peace Walker onto my Vita in anticipation of getting this game.

Why can't they make an HD version for the Vita :(

Oh man I transferred Peace Walker onto my Vita in anticipation of getting this game.

Why can't they make an HD version for the Vita :(

I just wished transfarring work with Peace Walker on Vita. Game is built for commute gaming, not sitting on a couch.

Are the controls different to PS3?
I had trouble adapting to the weird layout

There's pros and cons to both platforms. Some things I prefer using the vita with, like the touchscreen/inventory, others I prefer the DualShock3, like with sneaking (not stalking)

KillGore

So I have the PS3 version and I'm about to buy the Vita version, how will trophies work? What if I unlock a trophy on the Vita version and continue my playthrough on the PS3 version, will the trophy pop up on the PS3 one? does it count as two throphies?

Top Bottom