• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Sande

I finally caved in and bought it for PS4. I've only played the main mission so far and it was glorious. Based on the screenshot thread I was prepared to be disappointed graphically, but damn if it isn't the best looking game I've played. Truly stunning during the night at least.

Gameplay-wise I liked the evolution from MGS4, but two things bothered me a bit. I was playing without reflex mode and a base wide alert was almost impossible to avoid when spotted. Feels like they only balanced it with reflex in mind. The other thing was the cover mechanic. I like the fact that you don't need a separate button for that anymore but sometimes Snake exited cover a bit easily. Could be a bit more sticky in my opinion.

But overall I'm loving it and don't expect to get buyer's remorse for that hefty price tag.

Same. Just picked this up on a whim the other day. I have only played the main mission but if they would have let us play that last scene, even if it was on rails then I would be fine with that being the whole game honestly. Can't wait to back and do the rest of the missions.

So I have all the cassette tapes for the achievement but the achievement has not unlocked. I've cross referenced what I have with multiple guides and I'm not missing anything. Suggestions?

taizuke

So I have all the cassette tapes for the achievement but the achievement has not unlocked. I've cross referenced what I have with multiple guides and I'm not missing anything. Suggestions?

You beat all missions on Hard as well? Cause you get another cassette tape for doing that.

I finally caved in and bought it for PS4. I've only played the main mission so far and it was glorious. Based on the screenshot thread I was prepared to be disappointed graphically, but damn if it isn't the best looking game I've played. Truly stunning during the night at least.

Gameplay-wise I liked the evolution from MGS4, but two things bothered me a bit. I was playing without reflex mode and a base wide alert was almost impossible to avoid when spotted. Feels like they only balanced it with reflex in mind. The other thing was the cover mechanic. I like the fact that you don't need a separate button for that anymore but sometimes Snake exited cover a bit easily. Could be a bit more sticky in my opinion.

But overall I'm loving it and don't expect to get buyer's remorse for that hefty price tag.

Try collecting everything, it turned out that the cassette tapes are very important for the story.

MazeHaze

Banned
Was holding off on this because of the steep 30 dollar download price on PS4, went to my local game store today and they had it for $24.99 and the PS3 version was still $29.99 so I just went ahead and picked it up. Intro was great, awesome song selection!

But they never really left? You can initiate the conversation just by pressing the button when looking at objects, areas, or people. Having it all happen in real time is pretty rad if you ask me.

It's not really a conversation, though. Other than that, I like this new way.

Sande

Had this spontaneous moment of epic action in the assassination mission. For reasons better left unmentioned the first guy spotted me. I took him out and quickly made my way to the second target. He was about to make a run for it in a car but I managed to shoot him. Then Kaz said that I can escape on ground so on a whim I jumped in the car myself. Just as I was about to exit the camp, the last guards at the exit shot my car to flames. Snake jumped out and the car crashed to the checkpoint and blew the whole thing up killing the 3 or so guards there. Got A rank as well despite the whole thing being a huge catastrophe. Dynamic stuff like this is way better than anything COD etc try to throw at us in their scripted corridors.

Unfortunately I must say that the graphics don't hold up quite as well during the day. Low res textures are more apparent and aliasing is more visible thanks to higher contrasts. It's still a very pretty game.

cackhyena

Watching Perfect Stealth do his runs on YouTube is fun, but it makes me think of something I wish they'd implement in TPP. The guy gets S Ranks by getting to the objectives like you should, but then he's calling down the chopper in a hotspot to save time. Thing is, it doesn't count as an alert. It's too easy that way. As long as you aren't spotted before you get on it, it's like your gone, even though you could be shooting at guys on the way out.

I wish they'd add in a Pure Ghost rank/achievement...whatever for never having the enemy know you are there, period. Like SC. There's something extra satisfying ghosting a level and never actually coming into contact with an enemy. Things just go on as they were.

Liamc723

I haven't checked the whole thread but does anyone else really love the theme song "Here's To You"? There's just something about it that really clicks with me, love it.

Salaadin

I haven't checked the whole thread but does anyone else really love the theme song "Here's To You"? There's just something about it that really clicks with me, love it.
I like it a lot.

It didn't make a ton of sense to use in MGS 4 since the ending change so it was nice to see it return in GZ

jiggles

Banned
Well. This arrived on release, but I hadn't played through Peace Walker yet, so I've spent the last few weeks doing that on Vita, as I didn't want ANYTHING spoiled. I listened to every last tape in that game. Some nights my play session would be nothing BUT tapes.

Credits roll on Peace Walker, I stick around for the post credits chatter, then get excited about finally being able to play Ground Zeroes.

And it turns out, everything I played in Peace Walker was totally fucking irrelevant, and Ground Zeroes follows on instead from everything that went down in the secret, TRUE ending.

I enjoyed the gameplay immensely, but I was so pissed off about the story that it ruined it for me. I'll come back in a few days and see if I have a better time now that the damage has been done.

MazeHaze

Banned
Does anyone else find this game hard? I'm at the part where you have to
escape with paz
and there are so many enemies it's overwhelming, I don't know where to go, what to do, how to do it, and to top it all off,
I have to fucking carry paz
. Anyone have some tips for me? I played all the other games with no problem.

You beat all missions on Hard as well? Cause you get another cassette tape for doing that.

Yes I did. I literally went through all the tapes in my list and I have them all.

EDIT: Just checked around and apparently this is a pretty frequent bug in several versions of the game. I think it has to do with issues connecting to Konami's servers at times.

cackhyena

Does anyone else find this game hard? I'm at the part where you have to
escape with paz
and there are so many enemies it's overwhelming, I don't know where to go, what to do, how to do it, and to top it all off,
I have to fucking carry paz
. Anyone have some tips for me? I played all the other games with no problem.
Honestly, just take your time. Forget about how long it takes you, and get to know enemy wherabouts and patterns. If you make a path of sleeping, subdued, or dead guards, you won't have an issue coming back out with Paz. The only thing you have to be aware of is two guards that come to check on her after you get her out. Neutralize them and the base won't be on alert.

I just spent 57 minutes rescuing every hostage with all the helpful things turned off. No reflex, no alerts. 71,000 something and an S rank. Wasn't expecting that high, but those prisoners rack up the points. Just a matter of being patient and learning the layout.

taizuke

Yes I did. I literally went through all the tapes in my list and I have them all.

EDIT: Just checked around and apparently this is a pretty frequent bug in several versions of the game. I think it has to do with issues connecting to Konami's servers at times.

That sucks. Kinda makes me think of the Bioshock Infinite bug where the game keeps track of your achievement progress but if at any moment you switch from offline to online the progress goes back to zero.

rbanke

After spending an hour constantly retrying after being spotted and giving up the other night, I gave it a go again tonight and finished in 135 minutes with a C rank and
rescued 6 pow's (don't think that's a spoiler by i'll tag it in case)
on normal. This lines right up with every other MGS game for me which is I love the game, but am absolutely hopeless at playing them. Sneaking around is so much fun but I can never come back from being detected in any of these games. Basically stealth until I'm seen then its a TPS until I die because I can never seem to lose the enemy long enough to calm things down. Since this is fairly short I'm going to keep trying it to see if I can get better but I'm not holding my breath.

S¡mon

Banned
Is it correct that I cannot redeem the "Mother Base Staff" code yet (for PS4)?

I know it says it's for the Phantom Pain, but I was wondering if I should already be able to redeem the code, so that I'm ready when the Phantom Pain comes out. Else, I'll surely forget / lose the code.

Mr. RHC

Some of that GTA video hits the mark pretty well

CC2kTiG.gif

uIeDfwK.gif

paKryK2.gif

NzUxse5.gif

But man is the second half just amazing

FBmevzZ.gif

tsMbWZp.gif

OYwY07U.gif

BpzKk76.gif

z2tbmRq.gif

instapqr7y.gif

Plmgw39.gif

Didn't see this posted,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftg87dJdL7Y

(MGS V Trailer remade in GTA V)

This is without a doubt the best thing I've seen this year, hahaha

krioto

This may sound like a silly question but:

I'm having real trouble marking all the guards in the ground zeroes mission - I can get up to 38 of 39 but when I rescue Paz, it goes back down to 32/40?

I ghosted the entire base last night, and could only mark 37 guys before I rescued Chico.

any tips?

Betty

Banned
This may sound like a silly question but:

I'm having real trouble marking all the guards in the ground zeroes mission - I can get up to 38 of 39 but when I rescue Paz, it goes back down to 32/40?

I ghosted the entire base last night, and could only mark 37 guys before I rescued Chico.

any tips?

Tag, then kill, preferably with a knife, just make sure the base doesn't go into alert.

That way, when you only have a few left, you can run around the place like a madman, making noise to home in on the last survivor who hasn't been tagged without worrying about reinforcements.

cackhyena

Tag, then kill, preferably with a knife, just make sure the base doesn't go into alert.

That way, when you only have a few left, you can run around the place like a madman, making noise to home in on the last survivor who hasn't been tagged without worrying about reinforcements.
Actually, if you tag everyone before getting Paz out, it counts. The bump in number are extra dudes that only make you take that much longer.

Ezi0

I obtained all the S ranks last night. This game has definitely been worth it for me.

Congrats. Yep, same here. It took me 17 hours to get 100% in-game completion. The Phantom Pain is my most hyped game. The hype will go through the roof if Hayter is involved lol.

Top Bottom