• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

That's the same video that was shown during the previous Kojima Station episodes (including the latest Japanese one) - a shame :(

Yeah... I only shared it, because I figured many people only watch the English episodes of Kojima Station! I'm sure we'll get some more videos like this down the line, you know?

This game is so much fun - and looks great on PS4.
It's inspired me to go on an MGS binge.

I'm now playing MGS2 as well on Vita, then MGS3 and then Peacewalker.

I've only played MGS2 and MGS4 before, so am looking forward to it.

You should have done this before playing GZ, the controls are so dated in comparison.

Yeah... I only shared it, because I figured many people only watch the English episodes of Kojima Station! I'm sure we'll get some more videos like this down the line, you know?

I think it was on a later English episode too, but obviously it's good that you still shared it.

For a moment, I thought that it was the full BTS :p Can't wait to see more new stuff.

I think it was on a later English episode too, but obviously it's good that you still shared it.

For a moment, I thought that it was the full BTS :p Can't wait to see more new stuff.

Oh, yeah! You're totally right. I completely forgot about that. :p But hey, yeah, can't wait to see more! I know there's going to be a huge "Behind the Scenes" feature packed with The Phantom Pain's limited edition. ;-)

Cardboard box confirmed for phantom pain. Rejoice people.

Yes!! HYPE! I'm going to have to watch tonight's Kojima Station. Really love the new podcast -- so much better than the old format. :)

Sorry to double post, but for those who haven't watched Kojima Station, Sean Eyestone stated "There will be things you can do in TPP to address the Miller issue." in response to those who thought Miller had too much to say in Ground Zeroes! (Jordan Amaro suggested that you will deal with Miller via the iDroid menu, but this will be addressed at a later date.)

JayEH

Sorry to double post, but for those who haven't watched Kojima Station, Sean Eyestone stated "There will be things you can do in TPP to address the Miller issue." in response to those who thought Miller had too much to say in Ground Zeroes! (Jordan Amaro suggested that you will deal with Miller via the iDroid menu, but this will be addressed at a later date.)

I thought Kojima station was only a Japanese thing. Nice to see it has an English version too. I'll have to keep up with them in the future.

valkyre

For those who listened to the podcast, are there any new updates?

Some good folks said about the MIller chat being addressed as well as the cardboard box. Anything else? Did they even mention anything new regarding graphics, customisable weapons, release dates?

raven777

I thought cardboard box for TPP was confirmed long time ago. If I remember correctly one of the preorder bonuses for Japanese Amazon's GZ was a amazon cardboard box that can be used in TPP.

kasane

Man Kaz's voice acting was terribad.

Things that should go and make a comeback in TPP:

Cardboard boxes
Camo
Codec calls
Since TPP is open world i think MGS3's healing style would

Things that should go:

Regenerating health
That damn tagging
The slow-mo ( tho it can be turned off )

I have a few more but i forgot :X

Slowdive

Banned

Cardboard boxes
Camo
Codec calls

Things that should go:

Regenerating health
That damn tagging

Cardboard boxes are definitely back. I hope codec calls are back too but I doubt it.

cackhyena

Cardboard boxes
Camo
Codec calls

Things that should go:

Regenerating health
That damn tagging

Regenerating health is better. Rations are just cheap. Didn't matter the pressure in previous games, you just hit the menu and "life up". At least here, if you can't escape the pressure your done. More challenging.

Also, you can turn off tagging as well. Although, until I'm ready for a hardcore stealth through of the area, I kinda have fun tagging.

Arttemis

Cardboard boxes are definitely back. I hope codec calls are back too but I doubt it.

But they never really left? You can initiate the conversation just by pressing the button when looking at objects, areas, or people. Having it all happen in real time is pretty rad if you ask me.

benzy

But they never really left? You can initiate the conversation just by pressing the button when looking at objects, areas, or people. Having it all happen in real time is pretty rad if you ask me.

Yup, having it happen like this is much better than forcing us to sit through long codec sequences.

Regenerating health is better. Rations are just cheap. Didn't matter the pressure in previous games, you just hit the menu and "life up". At least here, if you can't escape the pressure your done. More challenging.

Also, you can turn off tagging as well. Although, until I'm ready for a hardcore stealth through of the area, I kinda have fun tagging.

I agree, mostly. Personally, I think tagging is unnecessary and that they should tweak reflex mode, but regenerative health actually is good here. It's basically like Human Revolution's, instead of acting as a sponge to soak up damage as you move to more cover like most games, it actually doesn't give you much room for taking things lightly. You have to constantly be worrying about getting out of the firefight and avoiding damage at all costs, unlike in previous games where basically you'd have to be an idiot if you weren't just automatically scarfing rations during battle.

I think the Resident Evil health spray is weird though, and that it would be cool to have a "hardcore mode" that has a system kind of like old Splinter Cell (was it just Chaos Theory?), where Sam could only heal by using medicine cabinets or first aid kits, actually taking time to bandage his arm. I really want the game to have the quick health loss, and limited first aid kits that would take important item slots, but alas. I understand the reasoning for regen health, it keeps the flow going. If it weren't for the "quick fuse" I'd have more of an issue.

Edit:
Yup, having it happen like this is much better than forcing us to sit through long codec sequences.

Agreed, forced codec is usually annoying, but they should also include an advanced inquiry system for a stand alone codec in TPP too. Imagine instead of having to aim at something relevant and press the button, it also got added to a list of possible leads for conversation in the codec. Once you can settle down, you can open up the codec screen, and after selecting a contact, you find a list of all the items Big Boss has taken note of, and can choose to inquire about each wih any codec contact. They could also expand the conversation, have it go two way again, as realistically if you are "in" the game and request intel, BB talking back might give him away.

Spaghetti

i can't really imagine the phantom pain without tagging. the wide open spaces seem more suited to the mechanic than a close quarters environment.

and to be honest the full effect of the tagging doesn't happen unless you've stopped still anyway, which isn't terribly wise.

cackhyena

I agree, mostly. Personally, I think tagging is unnecessary and that they should tweak reflex mode, but regenerative health actually is good here. It's basically like Human Revolution's, instead of acting as a sponge to soak up damage as you move to more cover like most games, it actually doesn't give you much room for taking things lightly. You have to constantly be worrying about getting out of the firefight and avoiding damage at all costs, unlike in previous games where basically you'd have to be an idiot if you weren't just automatically scarfing rations during battle.

I think the Resident Evil health spray is weird though, and that it would be cool to have a "hardcore mode" that has a system kind of like old Splinter Cell (was it just Chaos Theory?), where Sam could only heal by using medicine cabinets or first aid kits, actually taking time to bandage his arm. I really want the game to have the quick health loss, and limited first aid kits that would take important item slots, but alas. I understand the reasoning for regen health, it keeps the flow going. If it weren't for the "quick fuse" I'd have more of an issue.

Yeah, the spray is super weird. Needs to go. Honestly, it's only if I don't care enough and am just screwing around that regenerative health even comes into play. If I ain't stealthing my way through, I ain't doing it right.

Last night I started playing with all indicators off in GZ. I go around subduing who I need to, and rescuing the guy who's going to be executed first. Then I gather the rest before Chico in the "cave" for extraction. I go do Chico's scene and when it comes time take him to the rest, the two guys who are usually on their way to that outpost are already searching on the pathway to the cave. I got caught and will have to try again tonight. They totally took me by surprise. I thought I knew about all patterns, but apparently if you rescue the first guy, these guys are on constant lookout in that area.

I'm curious what you think needs tweaking for Reflex? I think tagging is necessary for players who may want to give this a shot, but aren't used to this type of game play. It eases them in.

SMZC

Yeah, reflex is easily abusable. You can just force it any time you want to dispatch of any number of guards. It's especially deadly with the suppressed assault rifle, you can easily kill up to five guards by walking straight into them and forcing reflex to activate. It's cool that this is in the game, it gives more options, even if it's just when messing around (when I play more seriously, I deactivate it), but there should be some limit to it.

kasane

then tweak it abit where you can only heal when there are no enemies

Must have a limit. Think of it having a meter that recharges only if Snake does stealth actions like holding up an enemy, interrogation, etc.

Isn't the whole point of reflex to give people who may not be amazing at stealth games more of a chance to avoid alarms? I can't imagine why you'd tie it to stealth actions. I think it's functions fine now, but I think it hides the bigger issues with guards and how quickly they can have the whole place on alert.

In past games, the guards could discover you, attack you and then run off when you are incapacitated or allow someone else to radio for support and enter the alert phase. GZ all happens too quickly too allow this. All reflex does is hide how little time it takes to go from discovery to alert phases. I would rather the guards have to get a radio or even have a radio and call in. I dunno, reflex works, but only because they've changed something from past games.

Spaghetti

I would be okay with the regenerating health being an option in the menu or disabled on the higher difficulty.
but what would replace it?

not like they'll bring rations back.

they could just give the player a life bar. but if you can't recover without finishing the mission that kinda breaks the balance, and having it regenerate like in mgs3/4/pw kind of defeats the purpose of turning regen health off, because all you're really trading away is the period in which the health recovers, and lying in the dirt waiting for a couple minutes to recover is... boring.

poodpick

but what would replace it?

not like they'll bring rations back.

they could just give the player a life bar. but if you can't recover without finishing the mission that kinda breaks the balance, and having it regenerate like in mgs3/4/pw kind of defeats the purpose of turning regen health off, because all you're really trading away is the period in which the health recovers, and lying in the dirt waiting for a couple minutes to recover is... boring.

Actually a toggle for the new system or the 3/4/pw system sounds great. Or maybe you could only heal when the enemy is in the caution phase (with animations of snake bandaging himself, removing bullets, burning leeches with his cigar)

jsnepo

Isn't the whole point of reflex to give people who may not be amazing at stealth games more of a chance to avoid alarms? I can't imagine why you'd tie it to stealth actions. I think it's functions fine now, but I think it hides the bigger issues with guards and how quickly they can have the whole place on alert.

In past games, the guards could discover you, attack you and then run off when you are incapacitated or allow someone else to radio for support and enter the alert phase. GZ all happens too quickly too allow this. All reflex does is hide how little time it takes to go from discovery to alert phases. I would rather the guards have to get a radio or even have a radio and call in. I dunno, reflex works, but only because they've changed something from past games.

Like you said, a chance for players to avoid alarms but that does not mean they should not learn to be stealthy in the game. It's a stealth game anyway. Consider it a learning curve. Reflex is not a radar.

I agree with the radio bit.

cackhyena

Must have a limit. Think of it having a meter that recharges only if Snake does stealth actions like holding up an enemy, interrogation, etc.
I like that.

Actually a toggle for the new system or the 3/4/pw system sounds great. Or maybe you could only heal when the enemy is in the caution phase (with animations of snake bandaging himself, removing bullets, burning leeches with his cigar)
I like this as well.

I'm a huge proponent of playing MGS as stealthily as possible but I don't mind reflex. BB is supposed to be a legendary soldier, I expect him to get the upper hand in a fire fight even if he's been spotted first and having the reflex period to line up that perfect head shot makes him seem like a suitable badass

jsnepo

I'm a huge proponent of playing MGS as stealthily as possible but I don't mind reflex. BB is supposed to be a legendary soldier, I expect him to get the upper hand in a fire fight even if he's been spotted first and having the reflex period to line up that perfect head shot makes him seem like a suitable badass

Big Boss is already a legendary badass soldier in MGS3 and that is without reflex mode, tagging, and quick regen of health. You can even say he is already a badass even without a 3D camera.

Big Boss is already a legendary badass soldier in MGS3 and that is without reflex mode, tagging, and quick regen of health. You can even say he is already a badass even without a 3D camera.

In MGS3 snake could heal himself by opening a menu and instantly put splints on his broken bones mid - boss fight. People don't like reflex because it's new, not because in makes the game any easier than other concessions that have already been made imo.

Plus you can turn reflex, tagging, and quick regen off.

jsnepo

In MGS3 snake could heal himself by opening a menu and instantly put splints on his broken bones mid - boss fight. People don't like reflex because it's new, not because in makes the game any easier than other concessions that have already been made imo.

Plus you can turn reflex, tagging, and quick regen off.

The heal mode doesn't restore health but allows the regen (slow) and heals bleeding. It also allows for stamina to drain slower. It's different and it did not make the game better either. Reflex does make MGSV easier compared to the old system that cancels alert status by preventing radio use by shooting or deploying chaff or hindering a soldier from escaping to call for reinforcements. I don't hate reflex because it's new. Drivable vehicles in the game is new and I don't hate it. Each MGS game has new features added.

I played the game on hard with reflex and tagging off and its not the default even on that difficulty. I don't think regen can be turned off. I may be wrong.

atr0cious

Some of that GTA video hits the mark pretty well

CC2kTiG.gif

uIeDfwK.gif

paKryK2.gif

NzUxse5.gif

But man is the second half just amazing

FBmevzZ.gif

tsMbWZp.gif

OYwY07U.gif

BpzKk76.gif

z2tbmRq.gif