• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

R-User!

Why does he get an S ranking although he alerted the base?

It's the new and improved
METAL GEAR SOLID
where perfect stealth is not ultimately necessary, and your point total is what you're playing to.

"They saw me!...
...who cares...
...*finishes level in three minutes*...
S-Rank!!!
Excellent Snake!!!

Dat Score!!

Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka *eats ghosts; gets points* Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka...

R-User!

Better have the best cardboard box physics ever.

I want a Heavy-Duty, Triple-Layered Woshing Masheen Box with matching Dryer Box as well!

Two boxes bitches!

Walk forward a bit, tilt box forward slowly to climb out from the south side, run south using wash box as cover, get in dryer box and move north past wash box and repeat.

Missions designed around multiple boxes needed to create cover...

A man can dream...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
As you said, the screws are drilled into Chico's achilles tendon only to prevent him from walking, it's not like he's attached to the ground. What is strange though, is that he manages to stand up in the helicopter (right?)

Maybe the doctor helped him to take them off?

cackhyena

It's the new and improved
METAL GEAR SOLID
where perfect stealth is not ultimately necessary, and your point total is what you're playing to.

Was clipping through guys who see you a split second earlier and running to the next area to avoid alert your idea of perfect stealth in previous games? There's always been cheese, man.

R-User!

Was clipping through guys who see you a split second earlier and running to the next area to avoid alert your idea of perfect stealth in previous games? There's always been cheese, man.

No, not being seen, was my idea of Perfect Stealth: and being rewarded for it at the end of the game and having the focus be on making SURE that it HAS to be done or else no Stealth Camo for you; or some item to that affect.

cackhyena

No, not being seen, was my idea of Perfect Stealth: and being rewarded for it at the end of the game and having the focus be on making SURE that it HAS to be done or else no Stealth Camo for you; or some item to that affect.

My point is these games were always about catering to both. Options. I'm with you, though. I'd rather stealth my way to the best rank every time.

RetroMG

I don't think you can recover from a pierced achilles tendon in 10 minutes ;). Should at least take a year.

And yeah, wintermute0is right.

Also note that Big Boss picks him up as he moves to look at Paz. He probably wouldn't have needed to do that if Chico could walk.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Not at all. Every MGS game Kojima created was a disappointment to him due to "hardware limitations". This is the first time in 27 years Kojima admitted that he finally managed to create the game he always envisioned back when he first created Metal Gear in 1987.

Hardware limitations? I wonder why and how they are doing the game on last gen then!

Just played it for the first time, wow. I am loving it so far, it feels like the biggest evolution in the series thus far. I B ranked Ground Zeroes with a playtime of 1 hour 23 minutes, and then C ranked the eliminat the renegade ops in 21 minutes.

Here are my impressions so far pro and con style.

Pro: Tracking shots. I'm a big fan of one takes in film, and it seems Kojima is too because I believe all of the cutscenes in the game were uncut tracking shots done in realtime, which is kind of nuts. Very stylish.

Con (kind of): If you aren't familiar with these characters from MGS3 and Peace Walker, the story in this will mean fuck all to you,as it's all plot and no character. But it is a sequel so it doesn't really need to set up these characters.

Pro: Skullface seems like a pretty intriguing villain so far. He has a cool design and he seems incredibly cunning.
Con: Skull face's VA. Hes fine on some lines, but for the most part he sounds way too hammy and Evillll. At least Volgin's voice fit him because he was a pretty cartoony dude, but I think they really should have gone with someone subtler for Skully.

Pro: Keifer! I was expecting it to be weird, or him to sound like he was phoning it in, but I think he nailed it in the few lines I heard. He honestly sounds closer to MGS1 Hayter than any of Hayter's own performances post MGS1, and that's pretty cool.

Pro: "They played us like a damn fiddle!" I love u MGS.

Con: Ended too abruptly, and I didn't even think the edit it ended on was that good.
Instead of slo-mo the heli should have swung in fast and then do a hard cut to title right before the crash
. Would have liked more story out of this in general. Oh well, at least I have tapes to hunt down.

Con: Graphics aren't terribly impressive
Pro:...But it manages to look really good despite this, with some really good detail, clean image quality, great lighting, and awesome environmental effects.

Pro: 60fps this game is fucking smooooth.

Pro: the controls are great, and I can finally do all the CQC moves with ease! Although I have yet to try the disarm move.

Pro: the binoculars are awesome

Pro: the sound design is amazing, as highlighted by the awesome scope's directional mic. The music is pretty good so far, but I haven't listened to enough of it yet to know if it is as memorable as the other games.

HUGE PRO: The gameplay. Everything about it is awesome. CQC feels impactful, gunplay is great and enemy hit reactions are so cool. Oh God and the sneaking....it just feels so right. It's the perfect blend of fast paced-fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants awesomeness, planning with the scope, and stalking and waiting slowly. I've only played an hour and 40 minutes and I can safely say this has the best core MGS gameplay yet.

Pro: Camp omega. Mgs safely transitions into open world! I was worried its impeccable level design would suffer with an increased scale, but luckily that is not the case. Every area feels unique and demands different approaches and strategies. I can't wait to play the other ops just to see how much mileage this map can get.

Con-ish: I cant fucking wait for the phantom pain. If its like this..but with more...it's going to be really fucking special. I need it now.

cackhyena

The sound design in MGS games have always been awesome. So many little details that other games gloss over. The sound of the wind in your ears when running, or you are swiveling the camera fast enough. The pulling out and holstering of the scope. The beeps of marking a guy, it's all top notch.

The sound design in MGS games have always been awesome. So many little details that other games gloss over. The sound of the wind in your ears when running, or you are swiveling the camera fast enough. The pulling out and holstering of the scope. The beeps of marking a guy, it's all top notch.

I love everything about that damn scope, especially the little clicks as you zoom in.

Batzi

Banned
Hardware limitations? I wonder why and how they are doing the game on last gen then!

Either nanomachines or FOX Engine is fricking awesome!

The sound design in the audio tapes is pretty good too, and does a fine job in describing what's going on.

I love everything about that damn scope, especially the little clicks as you zoom in.

I couldn't agree more.

oldboss

Sometimes, I just take out the scope and holster it for the sheer pleasure of the sound it makes .... so good. <3

jett

D-Member
Motherfucking No Weapons trial on the Renegade Threat mission, finally got it. 2:22:052, both targets extracted, still got an A, lulz. The scoring in that mission is screwed up.

My biggest problem with the game so far is that the weapon/item cap is incredibly annoying. I hate the fact that I can't carry a lethal handgun in addition to my tranq gun.

cackhyena

I've never even fired a handgun in all the time I've played. Always have the tranq on me instead. I don't know why they didn't put a suppressor somewhere on the grounds to be able to attach to the handgun.

I've never even fired a handgun in all the time I've played. Always have the tranq on me instead. I don't know why they didn't put a suppressor somewhere on the grounds to be able to attach to the handgun.

Can you even find supressors for any guns? Or do you just find them already on guns?

Also I'm kind of confused about the weapon unlock system, do you just get new weapons from getting better ranks on each mission?

cackhyena

No, you can't find them on their own, but I kinda wish that's how it worked. Any gun you find, the suppressor is somewhere else. Maybe that'll be in TPP. Any gun you unlock to have at the start of the mission is already somewhere in the level. You aren't unlocking anything beyond having them right there for you at the starting point, rather than having to procure on site.

No, you can't find them on their own, but I kinda wish that's how it worked. Any gun you find, the suppressor is somewhere else. Maybe that'll be in TPP. Any gun you unlock to have at the start of the mission is already somewhere in the level. You aren't unlocking anything beyond having them right there for you at the starting point, rather than having to procure on site.

Ah gotcha. I'm guessing the system will be expanded in TPP, and hopefully you will be able to carry more as well.

Motherfucking No Weapons both targets extracted

I cannot get the timing down for extraction... I can get the first dude, but by the time I throw him, which seems inconsistent--any tips--, the second dude just drives away. Herpa derp.

I finally S-Ranked the GZ mission, but to be fair, I have been putzing around with all the side missions.

jett

D-Member
I cannot get the timing down for extraction... I can get the first dude, but by the time I throw him, which seems inconsistent--any tips--, the second dude just drives away. Herpa derp.

I finally S-Ranked the GZ mission, but to be fair, I have been putzing around with all the side missions.

Don't bother copying that video. I sneak my way near the bald guy and his two guards, and I combo-CQC them, with that the alarm will be raised. Then I pick up the target, put him on the nearby truck, and drive to the base exit that the other dude heads to. I park in the middle of the road to force him to get out. CQC him, put him back in his jeep, put the other guy in the jeep, then drive away. It'll take luck and several tries maybe since you die so quickly on hard mode, and often the guards killed the dudes while I was carrying them too. :p

Speaking of hard mode, I wonder if "normal" and "hard" will be the only difficulties available in TPP. Peace Walker for instance had no additional difficulties at all, and I can't for the life of me think what else they could add to a hypothetical extreme setting without making the game obnoxiously hard.

co1onel

So all story in the next trailer?
8sZ25.png

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/461320385842003969

Liamc723

Speaking of hard mode, I wonder if "normal" and "hard" will be the only difficulties available in TPP. Peace Walker for instance had no additional difficulties at all, and I can't for the life of me think what else they could add to a hypothetical extreme setting without making the game obnoxiously hard.

The only things I can think of are disabling reflex and the white arrows on screen when an enemy is suspicious, but I'm sure there will be a European Extreme mode.

JayEH

Has Kojima Productions ever come out and say why there isn't real weapons in MGSV? I find the really disappointing. One thing I really like about Metal Gear is that they've always had a real attention to detail when it comes to weapons and military procedure in general. Even more so than "authentic" games like Battlefield and CoD.

Has Kojima Productions ever come out and say why there isn't real weapons in MGSV? I find the really disappointing. One thing I really like about Metal Gear is that they've always had a real attention to detail when it comes to weapons and military procedure in general. Even more so than "authentic" games like Battlefield and CoD.

My guess is so they avoid having to pay licensing fees.

Also, it's possible that because the game is pretty critical of the US/Guantanamo, they didn't get permission from the military to use their real weapons. Although I'm not sure if the permission has to come from the military or weapons manufacturers, or both.

cackhyena

It would be weird if the military could impose a restriction like that. I'm sure it's just a money thing with how much more everything costs this gen. They get to say it's the US military, but fake Guantanamo and fake weapons. Everything looks and sounds good enough, so no complaints form me.

It would be weird if the military could impose a restriction like that. I'm sure it's just a money thing with how much more everything costs this gen. They get to say it's the US military, but fake Guantanamo and fake weapons. Everything looks and sounds good enough, so no complaints form me.

I just say that because it happens in films a lot. If a movie paints the military in a critical light, they don't get the militaries co-operation and equipment. Or, if the movie is super hung-ho like Transformers, they get all the Hummers and M4's they want.

But I agree, it doesn't really bother me.

Btw is there a silenced sniper rifle somewhere on the map?

Nah. Only things silenced are the sub machine gun, your standard AR and the tranq gun.

Bummer...

The regular sniper is a lot of fun though. I got frustrated doing the mark-all enemies trial in Ground Zeroes (I had 36 out of 38 and could not for the life of me find the last two guys), so I just climbed up a watch-tower and went on a murder spree with it.

Oh wait, I did extract that one prisoner who was going to be executed, and I got a few alert states so they might have gotten reinforcements or something.

Eventually I just kept sniping people to scramble the troops in the hopes I could spot the two I didn't mark, but no dice.

Top Bottom