• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Koyuga

Releasing TPP on PS3/360 just seems silly and a waste of resources. 360 barely has anything going for it now, and by the time MGSV releases we'll be a good year or two into the new generation. What was coming out for the PS2 in 2008? Sports games and movie tie-ins.
And Persona 4. I don't think it's too silly, since it started as a ps3/360 game it would make sense for those versions to come out.

bon

Trying to decide if I should buy this now on a last gen console or wait until I get a PS4/Xbone (which won't happen any time soon)...

Betty

Banned
You really think they'll cancel those versions when they're this far along? That would be incredibly stupid, tons of time and money will be wasted. Not saying you have animosity for the last gen versions, but the hate for last gen games in general on Gaf is reaching toxic levels. Yet when a neat last gen game gets released, the amount of port begging for current gen versions is off the charts.

It is factual that more power in game hardware means more intricate game design, but that hasn't been the case when it comes to current gen only games. Good game design is good game design. I imagine when Persona 5 gets released a wave of "UGH, WHY ISN'T THIS ON PS4" comments will come.

I get that, I really do. But I just want MGSV to be the best it can be, and if it was current gen only for Phantom Pain there'd be no doubt it would be better.

Imagine if Arkham Knight was cross gen, people would not be as excited, and I think it would be understandable why.

I think that, when you look at Peace Walker... the two post-credit conversations were both thrown in there in order to tie things together with MG1 in case there wouldn't be a sequel. If Ground Zeroes didn't exist, you could maybe take the "Call me Big Boss" conversation to allude to his future of returning to the United States now that he's gotten over the Boss and and is no longer ashamed of that title and can make his move. And you could take the "This is Outer Heaven" speech to be alluding to the Outer Heaben Uprising with him rebranding MSF into Outer Heaven, which i'd say is a logical assumption what with Hayter being told to make his voice even raspier in that speech than the rest of the game implying time had passed (more than Ground Zeroes now implies).

But now that Ground Zeroes & Phantom Pain exist, we know that speech now fits between the end of Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes as MSF is destroyed a few months after the Peace Walker Incident whilst they're still called MSF and they never got to the point of being "criminals, terrorists" or being actually known as Outer Heaven until Diamond Dogs. I think both conversations might have been put in there because they were intended to close doors, and of course the problem with that is when you create more sequels and reopen those doors later... you have inconsistencies and end up wanting to backtrack so the arc planned for the new game can go even smoother, and now we'll need an ending in Phantom Pain that is even more elaborate in showing the beginning of the Outer Heaven Uprising and Snake becoming the "Big Boss" of those MSX games.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it's probably just be a retcon, at the end of the day, as Kojima said he's choosing to have some minor inconsistencies for the purpose of making the transformation in Phantom Pain even better. I mean the main thing that mattered with Peace Walker wasn't that he wanted Kaz & Friends to start calling him Big Boss but that he got over the Boss finally, as long as the story still reflects that I won't be too mad about it.

ascii42

Releasing TPP on PS3/360 just seems silly and a waste of resources. 360 barely has anything going for it now, and by the time MGSV releases we'll be a good year or two into the new generation. What was coming out for the PS2 in 2008? Sports games and movie tie-ins.

Plus Guitar Hero games and Japanese games. There were also a decent amount of games it shared with PSP and Wii until around 2009 or so. If the Vita and WiiU weren't doing so badly, I'd imagine a similar thing would happen again.

Alienous

You really think they'll cancel those versions when they're this far along? That would be incredibly stupid, tons of time and money will be wasted. Not saying you have animosity for the last gen versions, but the hate for last gen games in general on Gaf is reaching toxic levels. Yet when a neat last gen game gets released, the amount of port begging for current gen versions is off the charts.

It is factual that more power in game hardware means more intricate game design, but that hasn't been the case when it comes to current gen only games. Good game design is good game design. I imagine when Persona 5 gets released a wave of "UGH, WHY ISN'T THIS ON PS4" comments will come.

I'll be honest. I don't think The Phantom Pain is far in development at all. The way Kojima speaks about it makes me think that they are at least partially conceptualizing the game. "You'll be able to walk around your base" sounds like something they haven't yet implemented. Especially with Ground Zeroes just releasing, which I regard as an act of desperation, I expect The Phantom Pain in 2016. Holiday 2015 at the earliest. E3 2015 won't be the last E3 where we'll see the game, almost certainly.

As for last-gen, someone is going to get a port. They won't develop two unique games that leverage the features of different generations of hardware. Someone gets the worst part of the deal. And when it releases, likely 2 years from now, I'd prefer current gen to be the only platform it is developed on. It isn't an RPG, it's an ambitious open-world stealth game with a multiple locations and a multiplyer component developed by a developer whose sole reason for existing is that multiplayer component. It's going to be big, and being cross-gen will only hamper that.

MormaPope

Banned
I get that, I really do. But I just want MGSV to be the best it can be, and if it was current gen only for Phantom Pain there'd be no doubt it would be better.

Imagine if Arkham Knight was cross gen, people would not be as excited, and I think it would be understandable why.

I'm actually apprehensive of Arkham Knight's design in general. To be reductionist, it sounds like its Arkham City with a larger city and a vehicle to traverse the world with. It looks incredible on a technical level, but the majority of next gen only games typically look nice no matter what.

The new Infamous looks incredible, but it doesn't sound like it plays that differently compared to past titles in that series. The only games shown/announced so far on next gen consoles that have wowed me by design alone are The Witcher 3 and Phantom Pain. Everything else seems to be similar in design with a awesome paint job.

You probably wouldn't be looking at 1080p 60fps if it was next gen only.

Good and probably true observation.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

Those are different scenarios though. A current-gen game shouldn't be hampered with a last-gen port, but last-gen games can only benefit from being ported over to PS4 and Xbox One. Of course they won't cancel MGSV for PS3 and 360, but the new generation is here and publishers should embrace it, especially when your game isn't even due for years to come.

"You'll be able to walk around your base" sounds like something they haven't yet implemented. .

He said that 18 months ago :p

There might be difficulties in walking around your base if it has a user designed modular layout but I expect to see it in there when they release. I think we'll have a better idea of how things are at e3, maybe they'll show off some new environments.

I came on after the release of PW, but this suddenly makes a lot of sense to me.

Do you think you could convince Konami to go back to having a live E3 stage show? We could organise a twitter campaign.

AKyemeni

After playing the game for several hours, I am officially calling this Lens Flare: The Game.

Sometimes, I get blinded and I don't know what I'm looking at.

And it doesn't help that I'm playing the PS3 version on a 22 inch.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I still can't get over the release date for Phantom Pain given the reveal at E3 last year. I mean, that was an extended trailer with gameplay. It's kind of crazy to imagine the game will possibly not have been released until almost 3 years after that reveal.

MormaPope

Banned
I'll be honest. I don't think The Phantom Pain is far in development at all. The way Kojima speaks about it makes me think that they are at least partially conceptualizing the game. "You'll be able to walk around your base" sounds like something they haven't yet implemented. Especially with Ground Zeroes just releasing, which I regard as an act of desperation, I expect The Phantom Pain in 2016. Holiday 2015 at the earliest. E3 2015 won't be the last E3 where we'll see the game, almost certainly.

Disagree completely. Kojima started to write the Ground Zeroes scenario right after Peace Walker was released. The fact that its confirmed that the 360/PS3 versions are being worked on and exist makes what you're saying seem idealistic, if they were going to can those versions, they would do that ASAP. Kojima Productions/Konami aren't dim witted, they aren't going to cancel those versions a year from now. Any doubts would be addressed now when money in future wouldn't be wasted.

Betty

Banned
The new Infamous looks incredible, but it doesn't sound like it plays that differently compared to past titles in that series. The only games shown/announced so far on next gen consoles that have wowed me by design alone are The Witcher 3 and Phantom Pain. Everything else seems to be similar in design with a awesome paint job.

No doubt, in terms of design I think Phantom Pain, despite it's cross-gen heritage will most definitely feel next gen, much like GTAV did in some ways.

I still can't get over the release date for Phantom Pain given the reveal at E3 last year. I mean, that was an extended trailer with gameplay. It's kind of crazy to imagine the game will possibly not have been released until almost 3 years after that reveal.

The only date we have is some time between next month and exactly 2 years from now, that's all we have. I'm going right down the middle and expecting next March, but maybe it'll slip.

Do you think you could convince Konami to go back to having a live E3 stage show? We could organise a twitter campaign.

I'd love my chance to come up on stage and tell people about the latest game with awkward dance routines and luchadors fighting choir children, but no, I think after the last one it was a pact made in blood never to do it again.

But by all means, I encourage people to try and convince my bosses.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love my chance to come up on stage and tell people about the latest game with awkward dance routines and luchadors fighting choir children, but no, I think after the last one it was a pact made in blood never to do it again.

Off topic, how does one get into a job like yours? Seems like something I'd really enjoy doing.

Spaghetti

i don't really believe that the phantom pain isn't in active development. even the earliest screens of mgsv (before we even knew it was mgsv) were of segments that would appear in the phantom pain. i'm willing to go out on a limb and say a lot of the time is being spent on asset creation, balancing, and implementation.

i know kojima gets a tremendous amount of shit for saying the phantom pain is "200 times bigger" or whatever, but i do believe that the game has considerable scope that is hard to balance against budget and time constraints as well as the shackles of old hardware, not to mention that this kind of open plan game design is new ground for kojima productions, and possibly the stealth-action genre as a whole.

i do agree that it probably won't release until after e3 2015.

if it isn't realising before e3 2015, it'd probably be wise to not have a showing at e3 2014 to avoid blowing the load too early either. mgsv really needs a submergence period after ground zeroes releases.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I would pay good money for this to happen.

Alienous

Disagree completely. Kojima started to write the Ground Zeroes scenario right after Peace Walker was released. The fact that its confirmed that the 360/PS3 versions are being worked on and exist makes what you're saying seem idealistic, if they were going to can those versions, they would do that ASAP. Kojima Productions/Konami aren't dim witted, they aren't going to cancel those versions a year from now. Any doubts would be addressed now when money in future wouldn't be wasted.

There's an entire team in LA of paid workers who are only there to make Metal Gear Online. So Konami don't seem to care much about money when it comes to Metal Gear Solid, because the above is ridiculous otherwise. They'll certainly abandon last-gen versions if it accelerates or concentrates development, as it certainly would.

Kojima Productions LA opened in September of last year. So perhaps they manage to make an entire multiplayer component in only a year. I mean, maybe. But Kojima expects MGO to be done by the time The Phantom Pain releases, and that makes it fairly clear to me that The Phantom Pain is quite fair off.

And sure, Ground Zeroes might've been written right after Peace Walker. The FOX Engine wasn't though.

i don't really believe that the phantom pain isn't in active development. even the earliest screens of mgsv (before we even knew it was mgsv) were of segments that would appear in the phantom pain. i'm willing to go out on a limb and say a lot of the time is being spent on asset creation, balancing, and implementation.

i know kojima gets a tremendous amount of shit for saying the phantom pain is "200 times bigger" or whatever, but i do believe that the game has considerable scope that is hard to balance against budget and time constraints as well as the shackles of old hardware, not to mention that this kind of open plan game design is new ground for kojima productions, and possibly the stealth-action genre as a whole.

i do agree that it probably won't release until after e3 2015.

if it isn't realising before e3 2015, it'd probably be wise to not have a showing at e3 2014 to avoid blowing the load too early either. mgsv really needs a submergence period after ground zeroes releases.

KojiPro were doing motion capture for a car wreck in June 2012. We (seemingly) see that car wreck in December 2012, in The Phantom Pain reveal. I feel like that was something they focused on in order to get ready for the VGA's, as he discussed doing something semi-viral with MGSV one year earlier with Geoff (according to Geoff). I get the impression that the opening and Ground Zeroes were focuses. Especially when the E3 trailer doesn't go mad with jumping between different parts of the game, like E3 trailers for earlier games. We'll see, anyway.

But I want more Tak Fujii! :( It was so entertaining.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Something interesting. When I used the code that came with GZ on Konami's site it said I'd be able to use the DLC unlocked to TPP in "Early 2015."

Was this release window known for Phantom Pain?

Off topic, how does one get into a job like yours? Seems like something I'd really enjoy doing.

You try to get hired on to a dozen companies as a designer/coder, resign yourself to QA for a local company, eventually get noticed as being rather overqualified for the position and get brought on for knowing/owning most of the company's library of products.

Mine was a really weird rise to this position, I would just say make sure you have really great communication skills, have a sense of the marketplace, be on top of trends and don't be a dick.

MormaPope

Banned
Those are different scenarios though. A current-gen game shouldn't be hampered with a last-gen port, but last-gen games can only benefit from being ported over to PS4 and Xbox One. Of course they won't cancel MGSV for PS3 and 360, but the new generation is here and publishers should embrace it, especially when your game isn't even due for years to come.

My point was people champion the power and capability of next gen consoles, that the scale and design of games can be improved tenfold. Yet they want a ton of last gen games ported, with the core design of these games untouched. As of now, current gen means bigger areas, better image quality, rendering at 1080p/900p, 60fps/30fps locked, all these technical advancements are fantastic, but not much else is going on.

Of course its way too early to make concrete judgments on the current generation, but the big guns need to be shown soon.

Something interesting. When I used the code that came with GZ on Konami's site it said I'd be able to use the DLC unlocked to TPP in "Early 2015."

Was this release window known for Phantom Pain?

Interesting! I haven't heard that.

Is it true there's a new TPP trailer coming out for the GZ launch?

I'll see what I can do.

Since noone answered my question yet, I'll try again. Do the Western versions of GZ include the option to switch to the Japanese audio version?

FrankWza

For a guy who has been complaining of hardware limiting his vision and wanting to do things that he has been unable to implement on a bunch of occasions can we really expect a cross gen release of TPP? 200 times bigger and an Online mide that he is determined to make accessible to every region. I think with the direction he wants to go next gen in the only way this will be possible. Plus he loves PS4 and praises it's capabilities every chance he ggets. Also, if he says no PS3/360 now it will hurt GZ sales.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
You try to get hired on to a dozen companies as a designer/coder, resign yourself to QA for a local company, eventually get noticed as being rather overqualified for the position and get brought on for knowing/owning most of the company's library of products.

Mine was a really weird rise to this position, I would just say make sure you have really great communication skills, have a sense of the marketplace, be on top of trends and don't be a dick.

Advice for life, really. Cool, thanks for the reply!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
For a guy who has been complaining of hardware limiting his vision and wanting to do things that he has been unable to implement on a bunch of occasions can we really expect a cross gen release of TPP? 200 times bigger and an Online mide that he is determined to make accessible to every region. I think with the direction he wants to go next gen in the only way this will be possible. Plus he loves PS4 and praises it's capabilities every chance he ggets. Also, if he says no PS3/360 now it will hurt GZ sales.

He also said he wasn't impressed with the PS4 before it sold like hot cakes :p

MormaPope

Banned
There's an entire team in LA of paid workers who are only there to make Metal Gear Online. So Konami don't seem to care much about money when it comes to Metal Gear Solid, because the above is ridiculous otherwise. They'll certainly abandon last-gen versions if it accelerates or concentrates development, as it certainly would.

Kojima Productions LA opened in September of last year. So perhaps they manage to make an entire multiplayer component in only a year. I mean, maybe. But Kojima expects MGO to be done by the time The Phantom Pain releases, and that makes it fairly clear to me that The Phantom Pain is quite fair off.

And sure, Ground Zeroes might've been written right after Peace Walker. The FOX Engine wasn't though.

They're releasing a prologue for $20/$30 man, after the original Metal Gear Rising was canned Platinum was given one year to make the final product. When Ground Zeroes was unveiled Metal Gear watches and other stuff was shown off. Saying Konami doesn't care about money when it comes to Metal Gear is an insane assertion. And whose to say that the online portion of MGS V wasn't being worked on before that studio opened.

It seems what you're saying is wishful thinking. Investing resources, manpower, and time only to go "oppsies" is something Konami can't do.

Alienous

They're releasing a prologue for $20/$30 man, after the original Metal Gear Rising was canned Platinum was given one year to make the final product. When Ground Zeroes was unveiled Metal Gear watches and other stuff was shown off. Saying Konami doesn't care about money when it comes to Metal Gear is an insane assertion. And whose to say that the online portion of MGS V wasn't being worked on before that studio opened.

It seems what you're saying is wishful thinking. Investing resources, manpower, and time only to go "oppsies" is something Konami can't do.

I mean "They don't really care about spending money to make money". As in, they'll discard a last-gen version of the game if it allows for more focused development. Or they'll found an entire studio if it allows for MGO to be efficiently made and supported.

The true "oppsie" for Konami would be to extend development time by event 6 months to have last-gen versions of a Metal Gear Solid game. It isn't FIFA. In 2015 your audience will be on PS4/XBONE. Nearing 2016, you there won't be much of a point in making a PS3/360 game.

Konami would be better off on focusing on current-gen versions. Even if you have to abandon last-gen versions. Even if it just allows them to improve their graphics, that'll have more of an impact on the casual audience. I think Konami knows that.

Spaghetti

KojiPro were doing motion capture for a car wreck in June 2012. We (seemingly) see that car wreck in December 2012, in The Phantom Pain reveal. I feel like that was something they focused on in order to get ready for the VGA's, as he discussed doing something semi-viral with MGSV one year earlier with Geoff (according to Geoff). I get the impression that the opening and Ground Zeroes were focuses. Especially when the E3 trailer doesn't go mad with jumping between different parts of the game, like E3 trailers for earlier games. We'll see, anyway.
i don't really think the motion capture was done specifically for a vga reveal in mind, but rather the mocap available dictated what was in the original phantom pain trailer. the second block of mocap finished somewhere last year and i'm pretty sure that was the last one, so that's not what is dragging production down.

i did think it could be voice actor availability because apparently troy baker might be in for an mgsv session soon (based on comments made by kojima/kojima's assistant) on twitters when they met up with him at the baftas, but i'm not so sure.

it's hard to really pin it on getting the game part of mgsv as intended without being privy to what's actually going on in development, but we know mgsv has been an active project for a long time as a whole, and it still really doesn't have an end in sight. maybe it's just a case of kojima productions having bitten off more than they can chew and struggling to keep pace with a tight development schedule.

MormaPope

Banned
I mean "They don't really care about spending money to make money". As in, they';ll discard a last-gen version of the game if it allows more more focused development. Or they'll found an entire studio if it allows for MGO to be efficiently made and supported.

Wouldn't they do that right now or in the past is development efficiency was to be worried about?

Alienous

Wouldn't they do that right now or in the past is development efficiency was to be worried about?

I imagine the Ground Zeroes sales will help their assessment, but cross-gen Metal Gear Solid V seems more and more unlikely as time goes on.

I mean, you could be right in assuming the last-gen versions of the game will ever see release, but I don't expect it to. Well, unless The Phantom Pain comes out within a year, and I think that's even less likely.

Top Bottom