• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

rvy

Banned
Hahaha, kinda. There is no version of my position in Japan.

Well, that explains why Konami appears to be completely out of touch.
Lord knows the lengths people have to go to, myself included, to get any updates on new PES datapacks or the contents of patches.

DieH@rd

Banned
From nextgen screenshots thread [all PS4]:

13162814883_5d43fd9345_o.png

13162705685_20c82e7e19_o.png

Care to elaborate on this? I think it looks like it plays great in video.

The camera can be too close in many instances and although it adds to the presentation it can be a bitch when you get spotted, only because the camera was so close to you that you miss the guard standing 5-6 ft away and he is not visible on screen.

That was my first impression at least.

When against the wall if you move the right analogue stick it rotates the camera and does nothing to improve angle but rather snake just runs out the corner and completely putting himself at risk depending on camera angle.

yet R3 is suppose to allow you to peak, it does but you have to be very very careful otherwise he just runs out.

R2 is better option.

Anyone know if you can turn off the button prompts?

In-game options menu, Display Settings:

Subtitle Display
Trial Record Display
Marker Display
Reticle Display
Enemy Presence Display
Damage Direction Display
Action Icon Display
Show Weapon/Item Icons

All options can be toggled on and off. :)

Yoda

So...

I'm driving around stores trying to find some chumps who broke the street date.... anyone else like in NJ and know an outlet who has done this?

JayEH

So what are the chances of this popping up on the PSN store at midnight on the 18th?

The PS3 PSN store pre orders are up so if you pre order there you can download at 12 AM EST. (if you're in US)

No such luck for PS4 store. We'll have to wait until 5PM EST when the store updates most likely :(

In-game options menu, Display Settings:

Subtitle Display
Trial Record Display
Marker Display
Reticle Display
Enemy Presence Display
Damage Direction Display
Action Icon Display
Show Weapon/Item Icons

All options can be toggled on and off. :)
Hmm... can you toggle off X-Rays/Seeing through objects?

Mr. RHC

Big Boss is essentially his US military rank. So he's often referred to that by 'officials' and referred to as Snake by comrades.

He probably never really accepts the title because he doesn't think he's above The Boss, and he doesn't ally with America. So that's why he is "formerly" Big Boss, because that's a code name he abandoned. Until the end of
Peace Walker
... but Kojima's going to Kojima, I suppose.

Yeah, I think I can live with that explanation. Let's see how it unfolds.

Spaghetti

yeah, probably best to take the screens to the spoiler thread until release.

unrelated: really bummed that peace walker hd saves unlock nothing with ground zeroes.

MormaPope

Banned
I have been extremely vocal in other threads about the value of Ground Zeroes, I doubted how much content there would be and the cost for that content. After reading spoilers in the spoiler thread and reading positive consumer impressions, I've decided to dive in and get a digital copy of Ground Zeroes when it launches.

My main reason for purchasing Ground Zeroes is actually to support what Kojima and his team are doing with characterization. Some of the content in Ground Zeroes will surely offend some people, and some people will find Kojima's approach to be brash, but as a consumer I feel I have to support this endeavor based on the attempt itself and outcome.

Plus the 360 digital version is $20, I spent $15 on a copy of Neverdead. Paying $15 for a tiny breakable frisby is a rip off no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, I think I can live with that explanation. Let's see how it unfolds.
This is just speculation but it's feeling a lot to me like the Phantom Pain is going to end up explaining how Big Boss goes from being a branded war criminal to returning to the United States and reclaiming his position as FOXHOUND's Commanding Officer in the timeline.

I suppose to Kojima, it makes more sense if he doesn't really take the Big Boss name until then, as opposed to right now like they hinted before as they can do a full circle thing with MGS3 where he was formally given the title, abandoned the name (and the United States), and then returns to the U.S and reclaims the title. And by continuing calling him Snake again for now, you create a more poignant ending for his arc with him finally ditching the codename once and for all and it being passed over to Solid Snake.

Mr. RHC

This is just speculation but it's feeling a lot to me like the Phantom Pain is going to end up explaining how Big Boss goes from being a branded war criminal to returning to the United States and reclaiming his position as FOXHOUND's Commanding Officer in the timeline.

I suppose to Kojima, it makes more sense if he doesn't really take the Big Boss name until then, as opposed to right now like they hinted before as they can do a full circle thing with MGS3 where he was formally given the title, abandoned the name (and the United States), and then returns to the U.S and reclaims the title. And by continuing calling him Snake again for now, you create a more poignant ending for his arc with him finally ditching the codename once and for all and it being passed over to Solid Snake.

Ah good, this sounds quite reasonable. The "Punished Snake" name leaves me puzzled as well. I mean, it's like "Old Snake", where it was not his real codename but more of a description of his current state. So maybe Snake is indeed more of a reflection of who he is instead of who he wants to be.

Protag

Banned
Anyone have this digital ps3 on an original slim model?

If so is it taxing on the console? Make it run steaming hot, fans in high gear?

Would love to know thanks

So are you guys pretty impressed and satisfied with the PS4 graphics?

Also where the hell are you guys getting the PS4 copy form?? I want it now!!

[citation needed]

seriously though, i've spoiled the game for myself but i've heard nothing about a new trailer.

It's out there, I'd started thinking the description was an invention because none of the leaks showed it. It's basically just bits from the gdc trailer with some new title cards, but I heard rumours of a new trailer online soon, not sure if that's true.

It's out there, I'd started thinking the description was an invention because none of the leaks showed it. It's basically just bits from the gdc trailer with some new title cards, but I heard rumours of a new trailer online soon, not sure if that's true.
I believe they're one and the same. PS4/Xbox One version plays after the credits but is blocked in streams, whereas PS3/360 owners get a download code for it that can't be accessed until the 18th and they advise not to watch it until you've completed the game.

I believe they're one and the same. PS4/Xbox One version plays after the credits but is blocked in streams, whereas PS3/360 owners get a download code for it that can't be accessed until the 18th and they advise not to watch it until you've completed the game.

Ohh, ok. Wow they're really trying to pretend the old trailers haven't revealed things already, lol.
Thanks for explaining.

Alienous

One thing that always bothered me about the Metal Gear canon was (MG1 and MG2 spoilers)
the idea that Big Boss was the leader of FOXHOUND, and of Outer Heaven
. It didn't seem to make much sense, but here's a sequence of events in The Phantom Pain that I think could justify that idea.

- Ground Zeroes happens.
- Ocelot brings Big Boss back to America. There he returns to FOXHOUND, and the 'Diamond Dogs' division of FOXHOUND is born (the logo of Diamond Dogs is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, which is a Hound native to Africa, very similar looking to an American Foxhound).
- This Diamond Dog division is initially comprised of Big Boss and Ocelot. Perhaps other members like Frank Jaegar (who, according to the Metal Gear canon, has to be a member of FOXHOUND).
- Diamond Dogs goes to rescue Kaz. They also track down members like Huey Emmerich (Ground Zeroes mild spoilers)
had to of survived the attack of Mother Base, suspiciously
- This Diamond Dogs division ends up growing under Big Boss and Master Miller's leadership, whilst also technically being a division with FOXHOUND (explaining Miller's association with that unit later on as a Drill Sergeant).
- This 'second' FOXHOUND grows into Outer Heaven, whilst Big Boss also remains officially part of the major FOXHOUND. This would explain, perhaps, Miller's knowledge of Big Boss' actions when you talk to him in MG2.

Spaghetti

It has cool music. That's about it :p
licensed or original?

probably a new trailer for gdc.

i might avoid it though, considering the
the gdc and e3 trailers from last year spoiled most of ground zeroes

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
[citation needed]

seriously though, i've spoiled the game for myself but i've heard nothing about a new trailer.

It's not new in that it's new footage, it's just a recut of stuff we've already seen.

And yeah, sorry about the lack of spoiler marker.

So this whole game is essentially how Big Boss harasses a military base for weeks since you can essentially just keep doing missions that all take place on it and around it for tons of hours?

Smilax

So I'm in the PS3 store right now and I see Ground Zeroes, it costs 19.99 and stuff. Is it just the pre-order or is it the actual game, or is it something really different.

licensed or original?

Not sure. It has an exotic feel to it (the last bits of the music), so it could be tied to Africa. But if it's licensed, then they don't mention the source like Kojima did in the previous trailers. So I hope it's new.

It's more of a teaser. It doesn't last long.

SJRB

Gold Member
So I'm in the PS3 store right now and I see Ground Zeroes, it costs 19.99 and stuff. Is it just the pre-order or is it the actual game, or is it something really different.

The digital version for the PS3 is 19.99. It's the full Ground Zeroes game, exactly the same as the retail versions. Only it's 10 bucks cheaper because KONAMI LOL.

Smilax

The digital version for the PS3 is 19.99. It's the full Ground Zeroes game, exactly the same as the retail versions. Only it's 10 bucks cheaper because KONAMI LOL.

Guess I'll go buy it now. Thank you! I prefer to have all my MGS games digital, yeah I'm weird but no matter how bad it is I just enjoy them.

One thing that always bothered me about the Metal Gear canon was (MG1 and MG2 spoilers)
the idea that Big Boss was the leader of FOXHOUND, and of Outer Heaven
. It didn't seem to make much sense, but here's a sequence of events in The Phantom Pain that I think could justify that idea.

- Ground Zeroes happens.
- Ocelot brings Big Boss back to America. There he returns to FOXHOUND, and the 'Diamond Dogs' division of FOXHOUND is born (the logo of Diamond Dogs is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, which is a Hound native to Africa, very similar looking to an American Foxhound).
- This Diamond Dog division is initially comprised of Big Boss and Ocelot. Perhaps other members like Frank Jaegar (who, according to the Metal Gear canon, has to be a member of FOXHOUND).
- Diamond Dogs goes to rescue Kaz. They also track down members like Huey Emmerich (Ground Zeroes mild spoilers)
had to of survived the attack of Mother Base, suspiciously
- This Diamond Dogs division ends up growing under Big Boss and Master Miller's leadership, whilst also technically being a division with FOXHOUND (explaining Miller's association with that unit later on as a Drill Sergeant).
- This 'second' FOXHOUND grows into Outer Heaven, whilst Big Boss also remains officially part of the major FOXHOUND. This would explain, perhaps, Miller's knowledge of Big Boss' actions when you talk to him in MG2.

Cool theory about the split. The thing that we really need to figure out is what's going on with Diamond Dogs' motivations... we know now (Major Ground Zeroes spoiler)
Skull Face is in fact an enemy of Cipher who disobeyed him by destroying Motherbase, so it is not Zero that is directly responsible for MSF's downfall
, but according to Kaz he pulled in money and recruits just to combat Cipher and get their revenge. Cipher supposedly controls FOXHOUND and the U.S right now, so things don't add up exactly if Diamond Dogs are linked to FOXHOUND.

It could be that Kaz fought Cipher believing they were his enemy, and Ocelot sends Snake to rescue him and clear the air. Then later when it comes to the whole "Cipher sent us to hell, but we're going even deeper..." he means how Kaz's involvement with Cipher is what caused them to lose everyone and now they're going even deeper into their ties with Cipher in order to get their revenge on Skull Face?
Kojima did say that in the trailers he was intentionally doing a little bit of misdirection, and I believe this refers to that recent revelation about
Skull Face
. That said I'm with the people saying the Blood Diamonds will be a form of currency in the game.

So this whole game is essentially how Big Boss harasses a military base for weeks since you can essentially just keep doing missions that all take place on it and around it for tons of hours?
Okay, this made me lose it. LOL.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is it true that pre-ordering GZ on PS3 gives you Peace Walker for free?
Would like to know this, as well, especially if it applies to the digital edition.

Alienous

Not sure. It has an exotic feel to it (the last bits of the music), so it could be tied to Africa. But if it's licensed, then they don't mention the source like Kojima did in the previous trailers. So I hope it's new.

It's more of a teaser. It doesn't last long.

Seemed Deus-Ex'y to me. The music, that is.

It does set up the tone of The Phantom Pain quite well, though.

atr0cious

The side missions are (with 1 very short exception) all around the same length as GZ or a bit shorter. Some of them are very good, particularly the one just underneath GZ. I've found a number of different weapons/vehicles, can't say for sure how many there are.

For the most part it plays more intuitively than any MGS before it, but a couple of bizarre design choices keep it from reaching its potential. For example, while crawling on the ground, touching a wall or other obstacle will sometimes- but far from all the time- cause your character to sit up. It's not like the old mgs games where they squat into cover, either. It seems to happen for no reason, and it's gotten me spotted

Another issue which is probably an extension of this: on the ground, you can aim and strafe, and when you click the left stick ("dash button") on top of this combo you will roll from side to side. A bit more intuitive than it was in mgs4, but once again if you hit a wall it will cause your character to.... GET UP AND START SPRINTING! since you're holding sprint, which is GUARANTEED to get your character spotted by anyone in a 100 yard radius. VERY frustrating to sacrafice your ranking just because the game insisted on making such a nonsensical decision. Bottom line, when the player chooses to crawl they should be locked on the ground until they hit the stance button again. Seems like common sense.

There are others but those are the ones that stuck out most. Cover is extremely stubborn. What the game needs is either a mgs 1-3 system where it's very clear you're in cover and you're fixed in it until you cancel, or an uncharted type system where a button press has the same effect. This tomb raider auto cover thing is just not cutting it. It's stubborn about when you can get into cover, and once you're in, don't even think about moving around. So you want to sidle over to the corner of a wall to peek around the corner? You better be damn careful as you approach that edge, because the game doesn't just cut you off before you expose yourself like every other mgs- you'll get spotted as soon as one polygon passes the corner.

This might not be a big problem if you were able to very slowly move your character like in mgs 3 and 4, but it seems to be, you push the control stick 20% in the direction and nothing happens, push further to 40% and nothing happens, go to 60% and suddenly he just hurls himself forward. There seem to be only 2 speeds - half press and full press, and it's not very fun trying to slowly approach those corners when all I can seem to do is clumsily flick myself around.

There also seem to be a couple of strange bugs (ps3 version). Mostly when you're spotted, you can run away and hide, if they lose sight of you they'll go into search mode within a few minutes. Well sometimes they just keep firing at the place you were spotted. I snuck all the way around the base and watched from far behind their backs as they shot at nothing. Totally concealed. When all of a sudden, they immediately all knew where I was for no reason, and all came slowly running across the base towards my completely obscured location.... that was weird.

In spite of all this I think the engine really shows a lot of potential. You can tell it will really shine in an open-world context. I'm being critical because I want TPP to be as good as it can possibly be. As for story/Sutherland impressions, I will save it until everyone else has the game
Ugh, this sounds so bad. I had enough trouble dealing with him popping to cover, but now he full on stands.

Top Bottom