• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica fans, is this the year of our content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it happening this year? Will we finally get a new album?

I really love Death Magnetic, but it's been almost 8 fucking years!!

This is a sample with 2 new riffs from the recording studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGEtaRGw7Vw

What do you guys think?

UPDATE

So, this is the year of our content after all.

http://loudwire.com/lars-ulrich-new-...m-done-summer/

“We’re now coming towards the end of the musical creative process,” Ulrich began telling Metal Forces, “and we’re starting to look ahead and the process of how we’re gonna share this record with the universe.” Discussing Metallica’s timeline, he explained, “The month of June is basically when we’re gonna sit down and figure what we’re gonna do with it all; what we’re gonna call it and what’s gonna be on it.”

Get ready, metal heads!!!

UPDATE

Name of the new album: Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Release date: 18 nov 2016

New song and music video: Metallica: Hardwired (Official Music Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

Metallica: Hardwired (Live - Minneapolis, MN - 2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZan1NsiAYs

Disc One

1.Hardwired
2.Atlas, Rise!
3.Now That We’re Dead
4.Moth Into Flame
5.Am I Savage?
6.Halo On Fire

Disc Two

1.Confusion
2.Dream No More
3.ManUNkind
4.Here Comes Revenge
5.Murder One
6.Spit Out The Bone

Disc Three (Deluxe Edition Only)

1.Lords Of Summer
2.Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
3.N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
4.Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
5.Plow (Riff Origins)
6.Sawblade (Riff Origins)
7.RIP (Riff Origins)
8.Lima (Riff Origins)
9.91 (Riff Origins)
10.MTO (Riff Origins)
11.RL72 (Riff Origins)
12.Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
13.CHI (Riff Origins)
14.X Dust (Riff Origins)

Personally I absolutely love the new song, I think it's incredible.

Metallica-hardwired-2-e1471552652180.jpg

Maxim726X

Holy shit it's been 8 years already??

Damn how time flies. Honestly, just release a mean lean machine of an album when it's ready. I want 8 masterful tracks like their golden years, no fluff.

That's probably not what we're going to get after all the time it's been in the oven, though.

strafer

These things take time.

Death Magnetic was a fantastic album, the only thing I didn't like was the production yet again.

I don't see why they can't get the guy who did Black Album, Load and ReLoad, those albums sound fantastic.

And I wonder if this will be their last album or if they will squeeze out another.

But then again, they will probably embark on a 2 year tour and then go back in the studio for 8 years again... nah, it's not going to happen.

Last Album with a farewell tour.

jmdajr

These things take time.

Death Magnetic was a fantastic album, the only thing I didn't like was the production yet again.

I don't see why they can't get the guy who did Black Album, Load and ReLoad, those albums sound fantastic.

And I wonder if this will be their last album or if they will squeeze out another.

But then again, they will probably embark on a 2 year tour and then go back in the studio for 8 years again... nah, it's not going to happen.

Bob Rock? Yeah he was good. And the guy also did St. Anger! Not sure why he didn't step in and say...

"maybe this isn't a good idea."

Crazy that the guitar hero version of Death Magnetic sounds better. No crushed sound levels bullcrap.

There's no chance of this happening, these guys would go insane if they weren't on the road. And it's not like they've been in the studio for the past 8 years, they toured intensively every year since Death Magnetic.

JustinBB7

Jesus Death Magnetic was 8 years ago? Damn. Actually now that I think back that make sense to me. Time really does go fast.

Desmond

Did Lars say that the 5 year gap between St.Anger and DM was too long and they'd rather not do that again? Lol

I wished they'd do a concert in Ireland again. We got one in 2008 and 2009 but none since.

I really hope so. And I really hope they stick with Rick Rubin.

Rick is boss, although Bob Rock almost completely changed their style 2 times. :)

What I'm really hoping for is something like "going back to the origins", a mix of their most heavy stuff from Ride, Master and Justice. Yeah, one can only dream. I really have high hopes though after the latest Maiden album, which is a masterpiece and best since Fear of the Dark.

Lars probably needs to get back in shape. The dude can barely play his old stuff anymore without getting totally winded. I thought Death Magnetic was gonna kill him.

old

As big as a fan as I was after their first 5 or 6 albums, I've moved on.

St. Anger, Death Magnetic, fucking Lulu.... Their best years are behind them.

Dicer

Banned
Quoting myself from the Metal thread...I'd be amazed if Metallica could deliver, let's hope.

Between this and new Anthrax and Slayer not too long ago, 3 of the "big 4" have really put out some solid work, I'm not holding out for Metallica to impress but it's nice to see the old guys still able to crank out some excellent music...

I am loving the new Anthrax, and what I've head from Megadeth so far, it seems like a really solid return to form.

New Anthrax is flat out amazing, a touch of prog and melody out the ass, and from the tracks Megadeth have released they are set to harken back to the hangar 18 days of excellence.

ANTHRAX - Breathing Lightning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXYKpKWHxaI

Megadeth - Dystopia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrV61ATP3Ec

Megasoum

Banned
I can't wait... Hopefully they'll get good production/mixing/mastering this time.

IMO the best sounding album (production wise) is Garage Inc... My favorite Metallica 90s album by far.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Did Lars say that the 5 year gap between St.Anger and DM was too long and they'd rather not do that again? Lol

I wished they'd do a concert in Ireland again. We got one in 2008 and 2009 but none since.

Yes, but they've also learned like a lot of acts that are older that they make much more money touring than releasing new material that large swath largely ignored.

That being said I'm down for a new album.

Chuckl3s

Rick is boss, although Bob Rock almost completely changed their style 2 times. :)

What I'm really hoping for is something like "going back to the origins", a mix of their most heavy stuff from Ride, Master and Justice. Yeah, one can only dream. I really have high hopes though after the latest Maiden album, which is a masterpiece and best since Fear of the Dark.

All Metallica's fans hope that and it never happens. Honestly, I'll be happy with the sound of Load and Reload.

Formless

I like DM. But what I really want is the more semi-prog thrash Metallica we're not likely to get. They're more like a hard rock band with a bit of thrash thrown in nowadays.

Then again they have been playing more intense songs from the 80s on their tours.

strafer

I like DM. But what I really want is the more semi-prog thrash Metallica we're not likely to get. They're more like a hard rock band with a bit of thrash thrown in nowadays.

Then again they have been playing more intense songs from the 80s on their tours.

I would love another Load / ReLoad type album.

Sky Saw

Banned
I would love another Load / ReLoad type album.

Even though I'm not a big fan of those albums, I think they'd be better off going this route. I just don't think Metallica has it in them to make another thrash record. Death Magnetic was an ok attempt but just felt kind of desperate, especially The Day That Never Comes which was an attempt to recapture the greatness of Fade to Black.

I love Metallica but they've been feeding us the "the album is about x% done! We've been writing a ton and we're heading back into the studio in xmonth!" for years now.

Anything they say, unless its "the album is done and mastered," is just words with no meaning at this point.

Death Magnetic was a step in the right direction so I hope they have what it takes to keep going in that direction.

ViciousDS

Banned
Jesus Death Magnetic was 8 years ago? Damn. Actually now that I think back that make sense to me. Time really does go fast.

think about it even more.....it was one of the first DLC's for Guitar Hero 3 if I remember correctly.....GUITAR HERO 3!!!!

TOOL fans have been waiting since 10,000 days.... almost 10 years.. (Released May 2, 2006)

Patience, they won the lawsuit and are now touring with Primus starting this month.

They need to turn down Lars' god damn snare drums.

He's drowning out the rest of the band with that shit.

On St. Anger it sounded like a metal trashcan.

On Death Magnetic it sounded like a hollowed bamboo tree chute.

Why can't he use a normal snare like 90% of all other metal drummers? He needs to work more on technique, not style. I'd rather have Ringo Starr using a 4-piece drum set at this point.

strafer

They need to turn down Lars' god damn snare drums.

He's drowning out the rest of the band with that shit.

On St. Anger it sounded like a metal trashcan.

On Death Magnetic it sounded like a hollowed bamboo tree chute.

Why can't he use a normal snare like 90% of all other metal drummers? He needs to work more on technique, not style. I'd rather have Ringo Starr using a 4-piece drum set at this point.

He needs to use his white drum set again

LarsUlrich1987Tamareklame.jpg

Yeah, I think it will come out this year. And even though I enjoy DM, I hope it doesn't sound too similar.

He needs to use his white drum set again

LarsUlrich1987Tamareklame.jpg

The early 90s black and white kit was the GOAT.

38570_1344215772057_1431124702_770719_6084196_n.jpg

Best snare I've ever heard. I'd love for their next album to be the same as The Black Album, production wise. A near perfect-sounding album imo.

gwailo

Banned
Bob Rock? Yeah he was good. And the guy also did St. Anger! Not sure why he didn't step in and say...

"maybe this isn't a good idea."

Crazy that the guitar hero version of Death Magnetic sounds better. No crushed sound levels bullcrap.

IIRC from watching Some Kind of Monster the record company was basically demanding that they release whatever they had. They were recording for 2 years while they were dealing with finding a new bassist and working around James' rehab schedule.

I think they got rid of Bob Rock because he wanted more money and songwriting credits because he played bass on the record version of St Anger.

I just want them to tour again. Haven't seen them live since 2009. I was gonna go see them in Vegas last year but those plans fell through.

JeTmAn81

I'm always interested to hear more Metallica, though after the one-two punch of St. Anger followed by Death Magnetic my expectations couldn't be lower. Still, there's nothing better than being pleasantly surprised.

Seiniyta

I think either James or Lars at one point said they don't like being in the studio for very long as they feel trapped and are rather on the road. And considering touring is their main revenue source it makes sense.

Death Magnetic was pretty good, especially with the 4 additional songs that were eventually released.

I am absolutely ready! I can't to seem them live as much as possible! I won stage passes to their Lollapalooza show last year, it was the most amazing concert experience of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom