• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica fans, is this the year of our content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear they are broke as fuck after the movie bombed. New album would be good.

They've said they lost money on it and the festival they tried to get going. That's actually why they haven't released an album. They make fuck tons touring, and have said there isn't much money to be made on albums any more. So, they've been touring non-stop to pay for their recent missteps. There were rumors a while back that they were hurting so bad that they were going to sign with a label again, but that clearly never happened, so I'm guessing they weren't as bad off financially as the rumor-mill would have had us believe.

hunchback

They don't need Rick Rubin and they definitely don't need Bob Rock to produce the next album. The smartest choice is Flemming Rasmussen but they won't because Lars would have to step up his drumming.
I just wish they would go back to recording a more traditional way instead of copying and pasting parts into a song.
I still have my tour shirt from the 83-84 tour with Raven. I came home a different teenager. That concert was and still is the most intense I have ever seen them play. They were pretty ferocious during the Damage Inc tour when they opened for Ozzy also.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Might get pushed into early 2017, who knows, but I'm definitely looking forward to it whenever it comes. Mixing aside I liked Death Magnetic so I hope they give it some dynamic range and don't compress the drums. It's hard to tell from that little piece of footage but I'm worried they'll do that again. It's bizarre because the Black Album and earlier had some great range in its original release IIRC.

As for best live song, I've got to nominate Harvester of Sorrow

Metallica- Harvester of Sorrow Seattle '89

Toparaman

Banned
I don't want a new album. It's not going to come close to their '80s work anyway, and if Death Magnetic is any indicator, won't even come close to contemporary thrash from other bands.

What I really want is the release of the full Day on the Green concert from 1985. MTV has it apparently, and I bet Metallica could buy it and release it. We don't have any professionally shot footage of prime-era Metallica live, except for that. Edit: actually that's not true, now that i think of it. but the point is that nothing has been officially released in decent quality.

Pancake Mix

I don't want a new album. It's not going to come close to their '80s work anyway, and if Death Magnetic is any indicator, won't even come close to contemporary thrash from other bands.

What I really want is the release of the full Day on the Green concert from 1985. MTV has it apparently, and I bet Metallica could buy it and release it. We don't have any professionally shot footage of prime-era Metallica live, except for that. Edit: actually that's not true, now that i think of it. but the point is that nothing has been officially released in decent quality.

Metallica is not trying to be straight up contemporary thrash anymore. They lost interest in the scene and just went back to it partially for Death Magnetic. Metallica is a metal band but they were only really a thrash band through MOP and part of AJFA. They never pretended otherwise. Hell, Lars didn't even like the term for some reason, guess he thought it was too narrow and didn't want to associated with groups like Slayer's lyrical excesses even in their earlier days. Shouting "METAL UP YOUR ASS" is one thing, perpetual cheese and trying to out-heavy their angry 18-20-something selves years later is another. That's not Metallica. They weren't going back to thrash full-time ever again and it wouldn't work as well as it did when they were young and part of a growing scene either.

Live Sh*t & Binge's Seattle 1989 footage is professionally shot prime-era Metallica in decent quality. Right at the tail end but it's there and available in decent quality on DVD. That is unless you're anti-AJFA but if you don't like the album for non-mix reasons you might just be in the minority. I'm not alone in considering it to be still prime era.

Shadybiz

Wow 8 years.

The video didn't get me hyped, but obviously that was an extremely small snippet. Interested to see what they have to offer in the end.

Toparaman

Banned
Live Sh*t & Binge's Seattle 1989 footage is professionally shot prime-era Metallica in decent quality. Right at the tail end but it's there and available in decent quality on DVD. That is unless you're anti-AJFA but if you don't like the album for non-mix reasons you might just be in the minority. I'm not alone in considering it to be still prime era.

Nah, I like AJFA a lot. But Live Shit is just sloppy, and you can tell Metallica is starting to get full of themselves. James starts doing those corny vocal flourishes at the end of every lyric, Kirk is given a terrible self-indulgent Little Wing solo, and the whole vibe is a lot more meathead-jock than during the punkier Cliff years. The band just doesn't sound tight anymore.

Listen to some of the live recordings from '85 or '86 (prior to Newstead, that is). They were on fucking fire then: tight, angry, and controlled. There's a Disposable Heroes video from 1985 on youtube that's just awesome. I'd link to it if I could right now, but it's pretty easy to find.

I'm looking forward to whatever they release. I liked Death Magnetic, so I probably wont be disappointed. Although I'm not really that picky when it comes to the music I listen to.

Crazy how a film can bankrupt a band like that if true.

It's true they lost money on the film and Orion Fest like I said earlier. They will never be anywhere near bankrupt, though. The movie supposedly cost around $32 all said and done, and brought in only $8 million worldwide. The Orion Fest lost millions each time, according to James. That's all bad, obviously.

But, doing some googling, they played only 30 shows in 2012, and made about $80 million. In 2014 they played 10 shows and made $30 million. It's pretty hard for things to get too bad when you're making $3-4 million a show.

Them doing bad financially came from two people who wrote a book about them, no real source or thought put into it outside "boy, that movie lost money. Metallica is doomed!". Kirk has said they can't take two years off like they used to do regularly, partially because royalties just aren't what they used to be, and because the Metallica machine employs too many people. The reality is that at some point as they get up there in years and can't be playing as many shows as they used to, they're going to have to downsize their business. But, that's not happening yet. They'll put out a new album, maybe finally put out special editions of their entire catalog like Lars has been talking about for an eternity, and they'll tour and make hundreds of millions. You don't have to worry about Metallica.

EDIT: just realized that 2014 is a mid-year thing, so they presumably made/toured more by the end of the year.

gwailo

Banned
Might get pushed into early 2017, who knows, but I'm definitely looking forward to it whenever it comes. Mixing aside I liked Death Magnetic so I hope they give it some dynamic range and don't compress the drums. It's hard to tell from that little piece of footage but I'm worried they'll do that again. It's bizarre because the Black Album and earlier had some great range in its original release IIRC.

As for best live song, I've got to nominate Harvester of Sorrow

Metallica- Harvester of Sorrow Seattle '89

Mah man. My favorite Metallica song right there. I annoyed so many people in my freshman dorm cranking that

Pancake Mix

Mah man. My favorite Metallica song right there. I annoyed so many people in my freshman dorm cranking that

Yeah man, sounds even better live don't it? There's just something about that atmosphere.

Nah, I like AJFA a lot. But Live Shit is just sloppy, and you can tell Metallica is starting to get full of themselves. James starts doing those corny vocal flourishes at the end of every lyric, Kirk is given a terrible self-indulgent Little Wing solo, and the whole vibe is a lot more meathead-jock than during the punkier Cliff years. The band just doesn't sound tight anymore.

Listen to some of the live recordings from '85 or '86 (prior to Newstead, that is). They were on fucking fire then: tight, angry, and controlled. There's a Disposable Heroes video from 1985 on youtube that's just awesome. I'd link to it if I could right now, but it's pretty easy to find.

Metallica's been giving Kirk long periods to jam solos on-stage for so long now, I would just call that typical Metallica. I think it long predates 1989. Cliff often got to do a similar with the more scripted Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth) in his day also. It was only performed once in full after he died. Not the same thing since it's a tight solo, just playing devil's advocate.

I have seen the Disposable Heroes video pre-MOP, yeah, it's really good.

They were really tight in the beginning with Newsted too though, this was in late '86.

Metallica - Fight Fire With Fire - Canada - 1986

They definitely wanted to change direction by 1989, it's pretty clear. I haven't lost interest in them for it though, they never insisted they were still thrash. Songs like Eye of the Beholder which is not necessarily thrashy but is somewhat technical and has an off-key chorus is probably pushed what pushed them over the edge. They didn't play it after July of 1989, a month before Live Shit Binge And Purge in Seattle. I guess there was the Justice Medley in the early 1990's with part of it perhaps, but that's it. They didn't even play the title track, ...And Justice For All between October 1989 and June 2007 either so they were at the edge of that rope too in August 1989.

Yeah, on second thought I think you're right. It's right on the transition period. Lars was still in the top form for example...for perhaps the last time.

A full release of the Day On The Green performance from 1985 in good quality would be very nice.

I'd be super happy with another Load or Reload. Those had some beautifully written songs on them. St. Anger is the only record of theirs I straight up don't listen to.

They definitely wanted to change direction by 1989, it's pretty clear.

I think Metallica has always been slightly nebulous. I would call Kill 'Em All their only straight up Thrash Metal album.

Lightning and Puppets have a good bit of thrash in them, but they're more just straight forward metal to me.

Justice takes more of a step away from thrash and throws in a bit of prog-rock.

I'd call The Black Album hard rock. There's pretty much no thrash left, and they certainly ran from the prog stuff as fast as they could.

Load and ReLoad are more post-grunge rock. I don't know what else to call them. There's not much out there that sounds like them.

St. Anger is clearly nu-metal.

Death Magnetic is hard rock, with a bit of thrash. Something between Black Album and Puppets, leaning more heavily towards Black.

I think there's an advantage to not getting into them until late into their career like I did. To me it's all Metallica. I can hear the changes, so I get fans being angered by it each time. The shift from Puppets to Justice must have been strange, and then them completely tossing thrash away on Black, and then doing whatever they fuck they did on the Loads. I get it. But, to me there was no change. It was all just there, and it was all Metallica.

I still have my tour shirt from the 83-84 tour with Raven. I came home a different teenager. That concert was and still is the most intense I have ever seen them play. They were pretty ferocious during the Damage Inc tour when they opened for Ozzy also.

Fuck you, and I mean that in the best possible way.:) As I lived in comunist Romania during the 80's there was no chance for me seeing them live in their most ferocious period.

Seiniyta

I think Metallica has always been slightly nebulous. I would call Kill 'Em All their only straight up Thrash Metal album.

Lightning and Puppets have a good bit of thrash in them, but they're more just straight forward metal to me.

Justice takes more of a step away from thrash and throws in a bit of prog-rock.

I'd call The Black Album hard rock. There's pretty much no thrash left, and they certainly ran from the prog stuff as fast as they could.

Load and ReLoad are more post-grunge rock. I don't know what else to call them. There's not much out there that sounds like them.

St. Anger is clearly nu-metal.

Death Magnetic is hard rock, with a bit of thrash. Something between Black Album and Puppets, leaning more heavily towards Black.

I think there's an advantage to not getting into them until late into their career like I did. To me it's all Metallica. I can hear the changes, so I get fans being angered by it each time. The shift from Puppets to Justice must have been strange, and then them completely tossing thrash away on Black, and then doing whatever they fuck they did on the Loads. I get it. But, to me there was no change. It was all just there, and it was all Metallica.

Calling Death Magnetic Hard-Rock is quite the stretch lol. Definitly Metal.

I do feel that doing more black album/ Load-ish stuff would fit James's vocals way more nowadays then a lot of their 80's stuff. Live you can really tell he's straining his voice to make the old stuff work for him.

gimmmick

TOOL fans have been waiting since 10,000 days.... almost 10 years.. (Released May 2, 2006)

The joke years past was every 5 years... We are going on 10 since 10k days released...

Common Maynard, get your shit together and start writing new music for the band that pays your bills.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I really think 'Tallica should leave the metal genre behind and go back to (original material) garage inc. style of music.

And for christ sake get a professional sound mixer / mastering guy to work on this one.

They've said they lost money on it and the festival they tried to get going. That's actually why they haven't released an album. They make fuck tons touring, and have said there isn't much money to be made on albums any more. So, they've been touring non-stop to pay for their recent missteps. There were rumors a while back that they were hurting so bad that they were going to sign with a label again, but that clearly never happened, so I'm guessing they weren't as bad off financially as the rumor-mill would have had us believe.

lol.

They are multimillionaires who tour because its fun and the only thing they really ever learned. Recording an album is actual work, and if you live life like a god in France the last thing you want to do is work. The only way of them doing a record is out of boredom.

They are multimillionaires who tour because its fun and the only thing they really ever learned. Recording an album is actual work, and if you live life like a god in France the last thing you want to do is work. The only way of them doing a record is out of boredom.

Yeah, you probably know better than a member of the band would:
Kirk Hammett said:
The cycles of taking two years off don't exist any more. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice, but not the way it used to be – a cheque every three months.

We've been a live band, we've had to get out there and play, play, play. But nowadays that was the area we wanted to kind of lay back on a little bit, and kind of enjoy our families and things. But, you know, it is what it is, and we can't change that.

Source.

I just wish they would go back to recording a more traditional way instead of copying and pasting parts into a song.
That's my biggest gripe with Metallica these days. Real bands play shit in the studio, not record 2 minutes of material and use the magic of Pro Tools to copy and paste it into a 7 minute "epic".

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah, you probably know better than a member of the band would:

Source.

Kirk Hammett said:
The cycles of taking two years off don't exist any more. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice, but not the way it used to be – a cheque every three months.

We've been a live band, we've had to get out there and play, play, play. But nowadays that was the area we wanted to kind of lay back on a little bit, and kind of enjoy our families and things. But, you know, it is what it is, and we can't change that.

Yeah, a guy who's bandmate is selling paintings for 13,5 mill a pop sure is troubled by lack of royalties or that he is not send a check every three months.

They'll do a record if they want to, if not then they'll tour because they want to. They don't need to make more money, like a lot of actual struggling bands.
Its just a BS reason for Metallica for not having a new record made in eight fucking years.

Ask Dream Theater how they manage constant touring and putting out records every two years lol.

At least bands like Tool are somewhat honest about the lack of new records.

Yeah, a guy who's bandmate is selling paintings for 13,5 mill a pop sure is troubled by lack of royalties or that he is not send a check every three months.

They'll do a record if they want to, if not then they'll tour because they want to. They don't need to make more money, like a lot of actual struggling bands.
Its just a BS reason for Metallica for not having a new record made in eight fucking years.

Ask Dream Theater how they manage constant touring and putting out records every two years lol.

At least bands like Tool are somewhat honest about the lack of new records.

There is a difference between the individuals having money, and the business Metallica needing cash to keep everyone on staff employed without having to use their own money, which isn't a good business strategy.

Then you have to realize that people grow accustomed to however much money they have and the lifestyle it affords them. That's why you have rich people who don't recognize they're rich and people like Eric Clapton who is one of the biggest artists of all time, who has also said he has to keep recording and playing shows to afford his life. And why the people who are always saying "if I only had X more money, I'd finally get ahead!" never get ahead, because once you have that money you quickly get used to it and it's just simply a normal part of your life. If you had $500 more a month, you'd find a way to use it, and then if it went away you wouldn't know what to do.

Bands make money by playing shows these days, not from selling music. It sucks, but it's the way it is for the most part. The difference between Metallica and Dream Theater is that Dream Theater has to play 30 shows to make as much as Metallica does in a single show, and Metallica can keep selling out those shows without putting out new music.

It's the sad state of things that Metallica clearly isn't driven towards new music and are more of a business than a creatively fueled band at this point. But, it is what it is.

Megasoum

Banned
So I've been listening to Iron Maiden almost exclusively for like 4-5 months.

Because of this thread I decided to go back to my MOP/Lightning/Justice/DM/GarageInc playlist.

Man this is sooooo good. Metal AS FUCK.

Engell

I hope they don't fuck the audio quality up on the new album like they did on death magnetic :-(

the difference between the GH3 an retail version is mind boggling, and the GH3 isn't even perfect(still some distortion and clipping in the audio). The audio on the retail release was garbage, pure and simple
https://youtu.be/6Nfqpr3ygSg?t=104

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom