• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica fans, is this the year of our content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

So, this is the year of our content after all.

http://loudwire.com/lars-ulrich-new-metallica-album-done-summer/

“We’re now coming towards the end of the musical creative process,” Ulrich began telling Metal Forces, “and we’re starting to look ahead and the process of how we’re gonna share this record with the universe.” Discussing Metallica’s timeline, he explained, “The month of June is basically when we’re gonna sit down and figure what we’re gonna do with it all; what we’re gonna call it and what’s gonna be on it.”

Get ready, metal heads!!!

hehe one can hope.

Also, Load is celebrating 10 years soon. <3

Zalman

I have been waiting for this for soooo long. This album should've been out years ago.

Better late than never, I guess.

ascii42

hehe one can hope.

Also, Load is celebrating 10 years soon. <3

20 years, you mean.

No one should "celebrate load". It and everything after it are just bad albums, from a once amazing band.

I liked it well enought. Probably would have been better off dropping the three worst songs from it and just putting the only two or three decent songs on Reload onto it. There was no need for two albums.

I was so young and excited when I bought Load. Probably the first album I expected to be released.

Almost 20 years ago. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

“We’re now coming towards the end of the musical creative process,” Ulrich began telling Metal Forces, “and we’re starting to look ahead and the process of how we’re gonna share this record with the universe.” Discussing Metallica’s timeline, he explained, “The month of June is basically when we’re gonna sit down and figure what we’re gonna do with it all; what we’re gonna call it and what’s gonna be on it.”

That's the first I've heard of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning being remaster. Has anybody heard them? Do they sound good? I'd be interested if they were actually redone well.

&#8220;We&#8217;re now coming towards the end of the musical creative process,&#8221; Ulrich began telling Metal Forces, &#8220;and we&#8217;re starting to look ahead and the process of how we&#8217;re gonna share this record with the universe.&#8221; Discussing Metallica&#8217;s timeline, he explained, &#8220;The month of June is basically when we&#8217;re gonna sit down and figure what we&#8217;re gonna do with it all; what we&#8217;re gonna call it and what&#8217;s gonna be on it.&#8221;

Haha, I've been ready since the early 2010s, I'll believe new shit when they set an actual release date. Next time they update us theyll probably say "yeah the album is around 75% done!" and well still be waiting like this:

AnwPvWY.jpg

I love Metallica but I wont believe them until they set a firm date.

shaowebb

ehhhhhh...Saint Anger and Death Magnetic just felt poor in quality. Sounded like they were Metallica for a few lines and then they'd just beat the shit out of the drum rapidfire and do that shitheel indy metal thing of wall of sound. Melodic classic metallica was good because it HAD really complex stuff. Wall of sound just felt like a cheap way to finish a song in the studio.

They aint what they used to be.

gwailo

Banned
The whole remastered albums are on Spotify. They also put the bonus tracks (live, demos, etc) from the box set up on there.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Haha, I've been ready since the early 2010s, I'll believe new shit when they set an actual release date. Next time they update us theyll probably say "yeah the album is around 75% done!" and well still be waiting like this:

http://i.imgur.com/AnwPvWY.jpg [IMG]

I love Metallica but I wont believe them until they set a firm date.[/QUOTE]

Metallica are the GRRM of metal bands.

RangerX

Banned
The whole remastered albums are on Spotify. They also put the bonus tracks (live, demos, etc) from the box set up on there.

Did they remaster Master and Justice? I only see Ride and Kill em all up on spotify. The deluxe remasters are sweet.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/metallica-new-album-fall-2016/

Metallica are inching closer to completing their first studio release since 2008’s Death Magnetic, with a possible release date later this year.

“We’re mixing it now, so hopefully by fall it’ll be out and hitting people’s ears,” James Hetfield said prior to performing the National Anthem at a recent San Jose Sharks hockey game. “We’re super stoked about it. It’s been a long time coming – and, you know, this is what we do. We love playing, and the next album is exactly what it’s supposed to be, so we’re excited about it.”

Finger crossed....

So wish they'd entertain the idea of remixing Justice. And I don't even have to say why, because everybody knows why that's a good idea.

shas'la

Im astonished to see so many knowledgeable and well formed opinions in this thread, Its really nice to see so many people appreciate the nuance of Metallica and their changes without it turning into a petty "METALLICA SUX NOW" shouting match.

FWIW i'm also hoping for a more tempo driven sharper sound, than the crushed stuff we've heard recently ( ha, recently). I dont think it'll happen but i will still be praying for it!

After the next album I wouldn't mind if the do another cover album in between the decade or so between new original music that will follow.

They have done a bunch of pretty good (mostly acoustic) covers since St Anger I wouldnt mind getting studio quality produced versions of + new covers.

Ozzy Osborne's Diary Of A Madman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xVN80gP7Q

Dire Straights' Brothers in Arms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFP9AG0hDtE

That Dio tribute medley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsmaotgFaoY

gwailo

Banned
There are the recordings of the Bridge School Benefit where they do acoustic versions of their songs and covers. I think they are available from their website only.

Man I read they took a HUGE financial hit on the movie. This needs to do well.

Whatever it is.

I think it was the movie and that festival they tried to start. Not exactly wise investments there.

A new album will do OK and will also boost sales of old albums + a new tour will bring in the $$$ but probably wont be as balls to the wall as their last few post album tours. They will be fine!

Huh.

My first concert was Metallica in Dublin 12 years ago. Jeez. That was a while ago. Think I still got a t shirt from it here.

jmdajr

I think it was the movie and that festival they tried to start. Not exactly wise investments there.

A new album will do OK and will also boost sales of old albums + a new tour will bring in the $$$ but probably wont be as balls to the wall as their last few post album tours. They will be fine!

Huh.

My first concert was Metallica in Dublin 12 years ago. Jeez. That was a while ago. Think I still got a t shirt from it here.

Yeah my first convert ever was Metallica. 97 or 97. At the time, it was the greatest day of my life!

gwailo

Banned
I think a lot of the "Metallica is broke" stories got exaggerated for clickbait. They did lose money on the film and Orion festival, but it's not like they all had to sell their cars and houses. They are all still multi multi millionaires and make tons of money doing one off gigs at festivals. For their show coming up here in Minneapolis, they sold out US Bank Stadium (80000+ seats) in 10 minutes. My tickets were $150 each and that's not even on the floor or in a box.

jmdajr

I think a lot of the "Metallica is broke" stories got exaggerated for clickbait. They did lose money on the film and Orion festival, but it's not like they all had to sell their cars and houses. They are all still multi multi millionaires and make tons of money doing one off gigs at festivals. For their show coming up here in Minneapolis, they sold out US Bank Stadium (80000+ seats) in 10 minutes. My tickets were $150 each and that's not even on the floor or in a box.

James sounded pretty pissed off from what I remember. Maybe it's not money they needed, but it was a huge fucking waste that didn't pay off. Might as well given the money to charity.

MrNelson

Banned
I just want them to tour the States again.

My first concert was Metallica in 2009, paid $80 and still consider it my favorite show to this day. Sucks that they haven't come around since then.

Animator

I have been listening to Metallica every day since 1989. Still my favorite band, their riffs are timeless. St Anger was shit but Death Magnetic was good so I have hope for the next album.

Megasoum

Banned
After the next album I wouldn't mind if the do another cover album in between the decade or so between new original music that will follow.

They have done a bunch of pretty good (mostly acoustic) covers since St Anger I wouldnt mind getting studio quality produced versions of + new covers.

Ozzy Osborne's Diary Of A Madman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xVN80gP7Q

Dire Straights' Brothers in Arms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFP9AG0hDtE

That Dio tribute medley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsmaotgFaoY

Oh! I'm a HUGE Metallica AND Dire Straits fan... I had no idea about the Brothers in arms cover. Not bad...

Also I agree about the cover album. IMO Garage Inc is the best album they released in the period between Justice and Death Magnetic. The covers are mostly great and the sound production is reeeeaaallly good. I'm at a point now where I often prefer the Metallica cover to the original version lol. Especially love Breadfan, Merciful fate (not a fan of King Diamond's voice so James version is great), Turn the page, Tuesday's Gone and Whiskey in a jar.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I have a lot of hope for this. I enjoyed Death Magnetic aside from the mix and I think it will be the same here (complete with good songs but a lack of dynamic range).

The tour supporting the new album would also be a great chance to (attempt to) play Eye of the Beholder live again and Fixxxer live for the first time.

gwailo

Banned
James sounded pretty pissed off from what I remember. Maybe it's not money they needed, but it was a huge fucking waste that didn't pay off. Might as well given the money to charity.

Robert was on Chris Jericho's podcast a little while back and he said they knew the concert film would lose money but it was something different they wanted to do. I kind of took that as "it was Lars's idea and I don't want to make waves".

Megasoum

Banned
Lars recorded a podcast for a Swedish radio show. He starts his intro saying that he's in Metallica HQ and they are doing the finishing touches on the new record...

If that's really the case I feel like there's been next to zero PR around it?

I mean they've been saying for a while that "Yeah yeah a new album is coming soon" but compared to Death Magnetic where there was a TON of PR hype and like the Mission Metallica videos every day while they were recording it etc. Weird

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/743224?programid=2071

Lars recorded a podcast for a Swedish radio show. He starts his intro saying that he's in Metallica HQ and they are doing the finishing touches on the new record...

If that's really the case I feel like there's been next to zero PR around it?

I mean they've been saying for a while that "Yeah yeah a new album is coming soon" but compared to Death Magnetic where there was a TON of PR hype and like the Mission Metallica videos every day while they were recording it etc. Weird

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/743224?programid=2071

I'm sure once its sent to masters, they'll be a PR storm about it. We dont even have a name for the album yet. This is why I still am hardpressed to believe that its coming out this fall like they say it is.

I'm guessing we'll get a release date by August and itll come out in December-Feb.

gwailo

Banned
I dunno, it seems like there are stories every day or two on my Facebook feed from sites like Metal Injection, Blabbermouth, Rolling Stone, etc. about the new album.

Most new albums these days have very little hype/PR behind them, at least compared to the 80s/90s, and most of it is done on social media. And like was said above, they probably don't want to say the album's coming out on x date and then have it delayed.

I'm curious if it'll slip to next year so they have more time to hype it up. Lars has clearly left the door open for such a possibility in interviews. It feels crazy that we've seen/heard nearly nothing compared to the production of St. Anger and Death Magnetic where we were constantly getting video and audio clips throughout the making.

jmdajr

Robert was on Chris Jericho's podcast a little while back and he said they knew the concert film would lose money but it was something different they wanted to do. I kind of took that as "it was Lars's idea and I don't want to make waves".

seems fair

Zalman

I believe it will come out this year. The marketing push should start soon. I expect them to play a new song in August.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah maybe PR wasn't the right word... I think I meant more behind the scene stuff. I feellike we had months of behind the scene videos from the studio while they were recording DM.

Anyway, not a big deal... I just can't wait to hear new material.

Yeah maybe PR wasn't the right word... I think I meant more behind the scene stuff. I feellike we had months of behind the scene videos from the studio while they were recording DM.

Anyway, not a big deal... I just can't wait to hear new material.

You and me both. The first album I ever listened to was when I was in kindergarten, it was Ride the Lightning. My brother used to listen to it when we shared a room. I still remember when DM came out I was excited because it seemed Metallica was turning toward a better trajectory after St Anger, and now its about 8 years later :p Need more music and need another tour!

Welp, saw this up on loudwire today, its not confirmed but it looks like the album is slated for Oct 14th.

http://loudwire.com/metallica-new-album-october/

It’s been a long eight years since Metallica released Death Magnetic, which is seen as somewhat of a bounce back from 2003’s St. Anger. According to Bild, Metallica’s 10th studio album could arrive on Oct. 14. However, Universal Music, which distributes Metallica’s music overseas, has not confirmed that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom