• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica fans, is this the year of our content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
I was listening to Live Shit: Binge & Purge this morning and forgot how fucking amazing that version of Seek and destroy is. That song is really one of the best live song of their catalog.

I know they've been doing the big black balls for a while now... Do they still do audience participation these days? I can't remember when I saw them live in 2010.

It's great to hear James walk around the crowd to make them sing. That version of the song is like 18min because of it lol.

Formless

I took the time to listen to Load the past couple days. If James didn't sing like a parody it would be pretty good. The instrumentation is nice.

gwailo

Banned
They played the whole album at some festivals like Download for the 25th anniversary. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same this time around. They have been playing stuff like Disposable Heroes in live shows lately.

I was listening to Live Shit: Binge & Purge this morning and forgot how fucking amazing that version of Seek and destroy is. That song is really one of the best live song of their catalog.

I know they've been doing the big black balls for a while now... Do they still do audience participation these days? I can't remember when I saw them live in 2010.

It's great to hear James walk around the crowd to make them sing. That version of the song is like 18min because of it lol.

There is still some, but it's pretty limited compared to that era. I saw them on that tour and it was pretty awesome with that song, everyone chanting "die" during Creeping Death, etc. Most of the audience now probably doesn't know about that, James mentioned that wen I saw them back in 2009.

Megasoum

Banned
They played the whole album at some festivals like Download for the 25th anniversary. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same this time around. They have been playing stuff like Disposable Heroes in live shows lately.

There is still some, but it's pretty limited compared to that era. I saw them on that tour and it was pretty awesome with that song, everyone chanting "die" during Creeping Death, etc. Most of the audience now probably doesn't know about that, James mentioned that wen I saw them back in 2009.

Yeah... Man I want to see them live so bad. I'm not a fan of outdoor shows (I hate drunk crowds). They came to Montréal a couple of times in the last couple of years but the last indoor show was in 2010.

I'm seeing Maiden in April (my first time). It would be a fucking amazing year of Met came here too.

Jarlaxle

TOOL fans have been waiting since 10,000 days.... almost 10 years.. (Released May 2, 2006)

You didn't realize that you actually have to wait 10,000 days for the next album. Edit: Jokes already made. Should have finished reading thread before posting.

I'm hopeful for a new Metallica album. I enjoyed Death Magnetic quite a bit even if the production was off. I'd definitely be down for some more Load/ReLoad though.

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973Ydb2B6Tg

full version:

https://vimeo.com/90289512

Kuros

DM was a poor imitation of an attempt to get back to their roots.

James' voice being fucked doesn't help. It's a shame he only started looking after it after he blew his voice out first time in the 90s.

Maddocks

St.Anger is pretty good on my opinion but it does sound better live.

I agree, once you get past the trash can drum, you can hear that Lars is on point with it, even though it sounds bad. But it is just pretty good when if they had more time to polish it, could have been great. It just needed more time to bake.

psychotron

I agree, once you get past the trash can drum, you can hear that Lars is on point with it, even though it sounds bad. But it is just pretty good when if they had more time to polish it, could have been great. It just needed more time to bake.

Someone made a trimmed down version of it and added solo's. It actually sounded pretty damn good, though out of place in some areas.

kavanf1

I've seen Metallica many times but one of the best was the year of the 20th anniversary of Master of Puppets, out of the blue they announced they would play the entire album from start to finish. And they did. It was amazing.

I'm fine with something in the direction of Death Magnetic with better production and maybe slightly shorter songs. It's already been announced that Greg Fidelman is the producer. He was the engineer/mixer for DM. Hopefully he doesn't master it as hot. He did mix Through The Never and it sounded fantastic.

On iTunes they rereleased their catalog to comply with the Mastered for iTunes program (minimal clipping, dynamic range, etc.) which isn't a big deal for their old stuff but it made a definite difference with Death Magnetic and make it easier to listen to.

When they do remaster their catalog I bet they will pay extra attention to Death Magnetic.

Kuros

I'm fine with something in the direction of Death Magnetic with better production and maybe slightly shorter songs. It's already been announced that Greg Fidelman is the producer. He was the engineer/mixer for DM. Hopefully he doesn't master it as hot. He did mix Through The Never and it sounded fantastic.

On iTunes they rereleased their catalog to comply with the Mastered for iTunes program (minimal clipping, dynamic range, etc.) which isn't a big deal for their old stuff but it made a definite difference with Death Magnetic and make it easier to listen to.

When they do remaster their catalog I bet they will pay extra attention to Death Magnetic.

Yes I listen to the Guitar Hero mixed version when I do listen to DM.

DM was brickwalled pre mastering (the guy who mastered it disowned it after getting abuse) So there may not be any hope for the ITunes version.

The Guitar Hero version isn't bricked because they got the pre mixed tracks.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Even if the video is vocals only I can clearly hear the music in my head. I'm here headbanging in silence.

Hahaha, I found myself doing the same. I could hear it all.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Even if the video is vocals only I can clearly hear the music in my head. I'm here headbanging in silence.

Hahaha, I found myself doing the same. I could hear it all.

Yes I listen to the Guitar Hero mixed version when I do listen to DM.

DM was brickwalled pre mastering (the guy who mastered it disowned it after getting abuse) So there may not be any hope for the ITunes version.

The Guitar Hero version isn't bricked because they got the pre mixed tracks.

They did some tweaking for the Mastered for iTunes which came June 2015 and they sound good, I bought them. Guitar Hero/Moderus still sound better but not by much (and I think perhaps I just got used to how that was mixed)

Post from the Steve Hoffman forums.

Reddit thread

Yup, Dystopia is pretty good too, better than Super Collider and Thirteen. Probably better than End Game.

I prefer Death Magnetic over all of these though, but Dave Mustaine has them beat in quantity. The riffs are great in Dystopia sometimes.

SuomiDude

Metallica is still the best band there is. I've been listening to tons of new (including old bands) bands to me, and while I've been introcuded to lots of great stuff, no band still comes close to the greatness of Metallica. Can't wait for the new album.

Kuros

At least Broderik and his horrible calculator solo's are gone from Megadeth.

Was an awful fit for that band.

gamz

Metallica is still the best band there is. I've been listening to tons of new (including old bands) bands to me, and while I've been introcuded to lots of great stuff, no band still comes close to the greatness of Metallica. Can't wait for the new album.

They are one of the best and Rock bands basically don't exist outside of older acts like Metallica. Name a rock band that took the world by storm in the past, what, 10-15 years? It's weird that rock bands are a dying breed. I mean Why?

Sorcerer

I like DM. But what I really want is the more semi-prog thrash Metallica we're not likely to get. They're more like a hard rock band with a bit of thrash thrown in nowadays.

Then again they have been playing more intense songs from the 80s on their tours.

Making me cry.

Give me Thrashtallica

Tired of Rocktallica.

Been listening to Kill and Ride like crazy lately. Fuck, they were so good.

Finally! This is awesome news. Hopefully Cliff's bass is a lot more prominent in the the remasters, and the kicks on MOP and RTL need to be more audible and punchier too. I hope they turn Jason's bass up too because he played like a monster on that album and you can barely hear him.

Basically...make it like The Black Album.

think about it even more.....it was one of the first DLC's for Guitar Hero 3 if I remember correctly.....GUITAR HERO 3!!!!

Patience, they won the lawsuit and are now touring with Primus starting this month.

I know it's late and off topic but that lawsuit wasn't effecting writing. Since 2009 the Tool newsletters have hinted at writing and since at least 2011 they've been playing "snippets".

My point is don't expect an album anytime soon.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Soundwave, melbourne 2013 my friend of misery.

And i got a black beach ball at home :)

Kuros

Finally! This is awesome news. Hopefully Cliff's bass is a lot more prominent in the the remasters, and the kicks on MOP and RTL need to be more audible and punchier too. I hope they turn Jason's bass up too because he played like a monster on that album and you can barely hear him.

Basically...make it like The Black Album.

Turning up the bass would need a full remix. If these are just remasters its a little beyond their scope.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

I am basically alone in really liking the trash can drum. I thought it was a cool creative choice, but I'm not terribly beholden to their traditional sound anyway and am more of a punk guy at heart so that's probably why.

Seiniyta

Making me cry.

Give me Thrashtallica

Tired of Rocktallica.

Been listening to Kill and Ride like crazy lately. Fuck, they were so good.

I'm honestly not sure that with James's voice he has nowadays the old Thrash style really works well with them anymore. I rather them just do whatever they want as long as it sounds good and it suits the voice imo .

And yes, those two remastered tracks in the sampler are great!

So, this is the year of our content after all.

http://loudwire.com/lars-ulrich-new-metallica-album-done-summer/

“We’re now coming towards the end of the musical creative process,” Ulrich began telling Metal Forces, “and we’re starting to look ahead and the process of how we’re gonna share this record with the universe.” Discussing Metallica’s timeline, he explained, “The month of June is basically when we’re gonna sit down and figure what we’re gonna do with it all; what we’re gonna call it and what’s gonna be on it.”

Get ready, metal heads!!!

IvanJ

Banned
Last Metallica album I liked came out in 1988.

I do not expect them to make a good album ever again. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong, but that is highly unlikely.

Piccoro

So, this is the year of our content after all.

http://loudwire.com/lars-ulrich-new-metallica-album-done-summer/

“We’re now coming towards the end of the musical creative process,” Ulrich began telling Metal Forces, “and we’re starting to look ahead and the process of how we’re gonna share this record with the universe.” Discussing Metallica’s timeline, he explained, “The month of June is basically when we’re gonna sit down and figure what we’re gonna do with it all; what we’re gonna call it and what’s gonna be on it.”

Get ready, metal heads!!!

Cool news! Didn't expect a new album so soon. :D

Breads

Banned
I have no faith that they are still driven and inspired by what made their music originally great so I just want another S & M. Same songs but a different/ new arrangement is all I'm askin for.

I haven't liked Metallica since Kill'em All and Ride The Lightening.

Hope it is better than Death Magnetic, and I hope they get someone else to master the fucking audio this time. Also, Cyanide was the only good song on DM or at least the only one I liked.

I've always liked Megadeth and Motorhead way more anyway.

Slythe

As big as a fan as I was after their first 5 or 6 albums, I've moved on.

St. Anger, Death Magnetic, fucking Lulu.... Their best years are behind them.

Feel this way more or less. They were my favorite band through my pre-college years, but I have largely moved on in my musical tastes. I remember anticipating Death Magnetic on the Metallica boards, had a lot of great memories from those days.

When it comes out I'll check it out, but I'm not counting down the days or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom