• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

What scores do you think Metaphor: ReFantazio will get?

• 55-60%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 61-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Reading some reviews makes the game seem like its legit therapy for those with real defeatist type, glass half empty people, like me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ive always had much respect for the Persona series and own a couple of them. Hope this one keeps me glued in. The premise alone is much more intriguing to me than the day to day school fantasy thing.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Holy shit. I'm on the road. Am I seeing that right? 94?

Episode 7 Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC
Xbox scores a huge exclusive.
Bet Sony are regretting their decision not to get this on PS5.
/s

nial

Sorry, but a remake of a 13 year old Sonic game, the 19th Mario Party game, some Dragon Ball thing, and Dragon Age title that is shaping up to be a commercial black hole? Not exactly a blockbuster line up.

There are really not a lot of big AAA games or really GotY contenders releasing this Q4 like we usually see. There are games coming out but it's much slower than usual.
All of which are going to be big sellers, especially Mario Party and Dragon Ball.
Fine, most (or all) of them will not score as good as Metaphor did, but to define it as a 'slow holiday season' you need more than that.
And I'm personally not buying any of these outside of Metaphor and SH2, lol.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Systems wise it's far too similar to my liking. I was hoping this would deviate from the Persona franchise to be something can stand on its own.

It's kinda funny and a bit ironic (most likely intentional) that these new "Personas" are called "Archetypes" and that this games characters themselves fill the archetypes of characters in previous Persona games.
As we all know (right?) the ideas and philosophies in Persona games are inspired by writings of Carl Jung who talked about the notion of archetypes and the collective unconscious.

So I mean
the-interview-james-franco.gif

Well they've built something that's critically acclaimed no matter the IP, loved by their fans, has enabled them to grow their audience massively and so there's no need to destory what works. The results of doing something differently could easily end up delivering less favourable outcomes, as we see in games and the world around us in general.

So Atlus:

Be Yourself Do Your Thing GIF

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
All of which are going to be big sellers, especially Mario Party and Dragon Ball.
Fine, most (or all) of them will not score as good as Metaphor did, but to define it as a 'slow holiday season' you need more than that.
And I'm personally not buying any of these outside of Metaphor and SH2, lol.
It's a lot slower than a usual Q4, mostly just licensed games and franchise stuff like we have every year, but no real blockbusters, and nothing likely to compete directly with Metaphor. I would say the lineup favors Metaphor more than a typical year, which is my point.

Metnut

Long game like this… what’s the vibe on the soundtrack? Is it good like most Atlus games or are we looking at DQ11 again which really hurt that game…

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Good Steam Deck perf review here from RPGSite

After seeing how every location in Metaphor: ReFantazio including optional dungeons look and run on Steam Deck, there are a few areas where performance tanked well below 30fps before patches. These were the opening desert area, the first main hub city, one mid to late game location, and the final dungeon. The final dungeon actually had the worst performance I had seen for Metaphor: ReFantazio on Steam Deck with it dropping below 20fps before the patch. As of the latest patch, that same location runs above 30fps almost throughout with it even hitting 45 and 50fps.

As for the earlier locations I mentioned with performance issues, they barely dipped below 30fps and I didn't see anything below 28fps when checking those locations on older save files and also in New Game Plus.

Had I written my Metaphor: ReFantazio Steam Deck performance review before the newest patch, there would have been a lot of caveats to this recommendation, but things have changed for the better now. My experience has improved quite a bit across the patches pre-release, and Metaphor is getting close to perfect on Steam Deck.

Man, I put down Lost Judgment for Silent Hill 2 Remake because the reception was so good. Now this. I hardly ever buy games full-price.

I will be getting M:RF ASAP, full-price if necessary.

We're being spoiled for great games. Love it!

Ill just post here but I revisited the demo on PC and they have indeed fixed the performance issues completely for me. The desert area which I had like 50 FPS at 100% screen is now at 100+ fps at 150% resolution scale. Didnt notice any stutters either. Not sure if Im day one tho.

Mayar

Maybe it's the other way around?
No, I don't think so, they can draw any number they want there. But why doesn't this increase their sales, and they haven't been able to release a financially successful FF for many years, and each subsequent FF sells worse and worse.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Mask GIF by The Masked Singer

WTH, reviewed way better that I imagined.

I haven't watched reviews, but are their level design better this time around? Was always Atlus' weakness.

MMaRsu

Guess I struck a nerve. My apologies, guess you can't handle criticism of your precious anime game.

Your criticism constitutes to

"they are doing too much of the same of which they are very succesfull and I hate it"

okay you baby

Go tell Rockstar to stop making games as well, because it's too samey for your taste

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

brenobnfm

No, I don't think so, they can draw any number they want there. But why doesn't this increase their sales, and they haven't been able to release a financially successful FF for many years, and each subsequent FF sells worse and worse.

Do you play sales?

Thief1987

Atlus games selling significantly less, so again - maybe it's the other way around?

GHG

Your original take was stupid and you were called out on it, but yet you decided to dig your heels in.

Why? And why not simply praise Atlus for what looks like a job well done here instead of attempting to disparage another developer who has released an equally well regarded game this year?

Mayar

Do you play sales?
No, but in this case it shows a sharp decline and loss of interest in the FF franchise among fans of the series as a whole, which is not good. Well, as a person who is a fan of FF and plays all its parts, I can absolutely clearly say that there is not even close to 90, although it is definitely better than FF16. Although this is a kind of argument, considering that only 13 are worse than FF16...

Bkdk

Is this the best year Japan ever had compared to the western counterparts, from publishers to developers alike it's win after win.

Mayar

Atlus games selling significantly less, so again - maybe it's the other way around?
You know, all you had to do was spend 1 minute and type, say - "Persona 5 sales" into Google. And compare them, say, with sales of FF7R or FF7 or FF16. Before writing that Atlus games are selling poorly =)

brenobnfm

Well, as a person who is a fan of FF and plays all its parts, I can absolutely clearly say that there is not even close to 90
What you say is irrelevant, the game is factually above 90 and the GOTY for many people, they might bad decisions regarding the structure of the remake and the exclusivity situation, but quality is not the reason the game isn't selling.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why? And why not simply praise Atlus for what looks like a job well done here instead of attempting to disparage another developer who has released an equally well regarded game this year?
I agree with this soooo much, I enjoyed both SE and Atlus games this year.....the only difference is Atlus games dont have crazy budget, so they dont need to sale high numbers in order to be successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Your criticism constitutes to

"they are doing too much of the same of which they are very succesfull and I hate it"

okay you baby

Go tell Rockstar to stop making games as well, because it's too samey for your taste
I think if they just straight up called this game Shin Megami Tensei: Metaphor I probably wouldn't take such an issue with it. Yes It's nearly identical to Persona in nearly everything except aesthetic of course. And I can't believe I didn't actually make this connection before but there is a lot of Attack on Titan influence in this game as well. I can see why a lot of anime fans would like this. It's familiar to their tastes.

XXL

Well, we only have the demo to go by. The demo ends just as we get into the real meat of the game. People who have access to the full game have a better idea of how it all comes together.
Sure, but Atlas are pretty fucking consistent and their games are hard to demo.

Persona 5 doesn't even get going until about the 4HR mark. Lol.

Top Bottom