• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

What scores do you think Metaphor: ReFantazio will get?

• 55-60%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 61-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Topher

Gold Member
This is some straight click bait right?

You have it backwards.

P4>P5>P3.

P3 pacing is like watching paint dry.

Nah...I'm with him. P3 is still the best. But.....opinions....

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

This is some straight click bait right?

You have it backwards.

P4>P5>P3.

P3 pacing is like watching paint dry.
Yea I would say this is correct. P3 hits for nostalgia and set the precedent. P4 has the best story and characters and P5 was the most aesthetically pleasing and had the best gameplay in the series for sure.

Good story too but pacing was SHITE, P4 clears

P3Fes > P3RE > P4(golden same level here) > P5

i wish there is locking feature like(NO manual command for all party members) on start on P3remake to be authentic challenge for being "remake" of P3

Last edited:
Anybody else just feeling bummed by their business model?
No. I buy the original edition, play it, and move on. I don't even know what P5 "royal" added and will likely never know, because I don't care. The game was a masterpiece as is.

I'll never know or care about the frozen wastes or burning west, or black cat missions, or whatever other DLC and expansions come for any game. They are released months after I have finished the game, so why spend emotional energy on them let alone time and money.

IMHO, spend less time thinking about whether or not to play games, and more time playing.

Finally played a bit. Can we turn of the "click" sound that plays between text boxes when selecting Auto-Play? It really hampers the flow of the dialog. Voice work and music are nice.
Is this a PC sound glitch? Doesn't happen in the PS5 demo. My only beef is that there isn't a long enough pause between lines of dialogue.

Any reviews that criticise the UI ?, because all the animations and flickering lights are seriously straining my eyes after prolonged game sessions in the demo.
Play with a light on? Don't sit so close to the screen? Maybe your contrast is too high? This is an SDR game and most TVs have SDR brightness set far too high. For example, on LG OLED, SDR needs to be at 50% to be in normal range.

bender

What time is it?
Is this a PC sound glitch? Doesn't happen in the PS5 demo. My only beef is that there isn't a long enough pause between lines of dialogue.

I'm playing on PS5. I think the pause is fine it's just that they insert the chime you'd hear from pressing X to continue to using manual progression into the auto option which makes the next audio feel rushed. Listen for it again because it goes: Read dialog from text box -> Chime -> Read dialog from next text box.

I'm playing on PS5. I think the pause is fine it's just that they insert the chime you'd hear from pressing X to continue to using manual progression into the auto option which makes the next audio feel rushed. Listen for it again because it goes: Read dialog from text box -> Chime -> Read dialog from next text box.
For me, the voice audio had almost zero delay between text boxes and it made the dialogue feel fake. I had to leave it on manual. There was no click or chime that I recall with auto. English audio here btw. I'll check tomorrow.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
For me, the voice audio had almost zero delay between text boxes and it made the dialogue feel fake. I had to leave it on manual. There was no click or chime that I recall with auto. English audio here btw.

English too. Try headphones if you can. The zero delay bothered me too, but like I said, I think they are just inserting that confirmation chime where the dead space should be.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Told yall its a 95 mc game.
Just the demo alone it already felt generational
I didn't even cared for the score I played Hashino's past works and big fan of it and playing the demo confirmed my hype, even if this game got 4/10 I would still buy it without second thought.

Caio

Even if it was 80, these numbers would be irrelevant if you like the game enough.
Better it stays at 94% on Meta :D

If you love the genre, you’ll play it no matter what, but hey, it’s always better to have a masterpiece in your hands so you can enjoy it even more. Forgive me for stating the obvious!

saintjules

Gold Member
Better it stays at 94% on Meta :D

If you love the genre, you’ll play it no matter what, but hey, it’s always better to have a masterpiece in your hands so you can enjoy it even more. Forgive me for stating the obvious!

Hah. Well I've seen over the years people go batshit crazy if a MC rating falls by a point or 2. I personally think it's a flawed system 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I want to know how 'progressive' and political it is before jumping in, seeing as they mention this in their review.
I mean, no one knows really. But the demo was already tackling racism. Multiple reviews praised this game for being "idealistic," which is an extremely odd compliment. I seriously doubt anything from this team is woke. The story and lore seems like the best thing in the game from what I saw.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I like the game but to put this as a pro..
  • Slick animations and fluid UI
Is just horribly wrong. The who presentation what someone here aptly called it " visual noise " is completely over the top annoying,

I thought I’d see what resetera had to say about these reviews.

*click thread, newest page*

Persona 3-5 have been consistently homophobic

Catherine also came out twice and both times managed to introduce new transphobic bits.

*close browser*

I didn’t even have to look for this. These were literally the two posts within immediate view.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like the game but to put this as a pro..
  • Slick animations and fluid UI
Is just horribly wrong. The who presentation what someone here aptly called it " visual noise " is completely over the top annoying,
Nope, I highly degree with you on that, I thought the UI looked fantastic especially oil panted character portraits.

It’s subjective, maybe you are not into it but other people are.

Go_Ly_Dow

Only 34 outlets have bothered to review this? Weird as it's barely anything compared to other games. Heck even for Concord more bothered to give it a go.

RSLAEV

I mean, no one knows really. But the demo was already tackling racism. Multiple reviews praised this game for being "idealistic," which is an extremely odd compliment. I seriously doubt anything from this team is woke. The story and lore seems like the best thing in the game from what I saw.
I trust the Japanese team to write a good political story. I don't trust the localization team to bring that story over without injecting their personal politics. I'll happily pick it up if I'm proven wrong but I am definitely waiting to purchase this one.

saintjules

Gold Member
Only 34 outlets have bothered to review this? Weird as it's barely anything compared to other games. Heck even for Concord more bothered to give it a go.

If it's a 100+ hour game that's being claimed, I wouldn't be surprised that people are running late with reviews (if at all).

I trust the Japanese team to write a good political story. I don't trust the localization team to bring that story over without injecting their personal politics. I'll happily pick it up if I'm proven wrong but I am definitely waiting to purchase this one.
I just watched this, and you should too.

To summarize the response to your concern: there is no personal politics in modern translations from large publishers. Any beef you have with changes can be blamed on the marketing department, which itself adapts to the target market.

Top Bottom