• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio has sold over 1 million copies worldwide

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Today, October 11th, " Metaphor: ReFantazio "Total worldwide sales (packaged version shipped + download version sold) have surpassed 1 million copies!

"Metaphor: ReFantasio" is currently receiving high scores on each platform
on the overseas review aggregation site "Metacritic," with Xbox version receiving 92 points, PlayStation®5 version receiving 93 points, and Windows/Steam version receiving 91 points (as of October 11, 2024). In addition, the game has received wide support from a wide range of people, including winning the Japan Game Awards "Future Division" for two consecutive years in 2023 and 2024, which
is selected annually by public vote .

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Breaking them Atlus sales records on release day. That's what we're talking about!

metaphor-refantazio-atlus.gif

Lambogenie

Still don't get it. It's Atlus so there's bound to be dlc to pad the game (even more) like their other games. Market for everything, as they say!

Little Mac

Gold Member
Loved the demo and put like 20 hours into it playing through it twice. I had to preorder the game. Can’t wait to venture beyond the Goblin dungeon. This is what I wish FFs were like (but with better graphics).

Last edited:

Mayar

Congratulations to Atlus on the successful release of the game. The result is expected, a good game has good sales. And then people will write that the genre of turn-based RPGs is dead... And Square Enix made the right decision by transferring FF to pseudo realtime...

Mayar

Well exclusives makes better quality technically since only focus is one platform. That is why I love console exclusives most of the time. But it is still possible that 80% of the sales are all for PS5.
Atlus has never been particularly exclusive on Sony, in fact, only the Persona series. Much like Atlus kept the Shinmegami Tensei games exclusive to Nintendo. But in the end, all of their games sooner or later became multiplatform.

And yes, Sony most likely provided the bulk of the game's sales anyway, there's no need to guess.

Metnut

Happy to see a great game by Atlus succeed, but not sure dunking on Square makes any sense. Both FF16 and FF7Re sold multiple times this amount for PS5 alone.

Most JRPGs sell majority of sales at launch. I hope this can get into the 3M range very quick.

Happy to see a great game by Atlus succeed, but not sure dunking on Square makes any sense. Both FF16 and FF7Re sold multiple times this amount for PS5 alone.

Most JRPGs sell majority of sales at launch. I hope this can get into the 3M range very quick.
All depends on game's cost and expectations.

Something tells me FF16 or Rebirth had a bigger budget than this game.

For Rebirh all we had was some estimations that it had sold around 2M after a month and a half, and FF16 did 3 mills in a week, this one's at 1 million in some hours, might not be that far from this one, and it even could surpass Rebirth maybe? Not bad for a game called Metaphor Refantazio versus a Final Fantasy lmao, even better if you compare techincal aspects and budgets

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
But people told me that turn based games can't sell...
Launching with 1 million sales wouldn't really be acceptable if you were trying to make a AAA turn based game and not a game based on PS3 tech. The budgets are bigger for modern games, so this isn't really disproving the kind of concerns someone like SQEX has. They make turn based stuff, but they have to keep it lower budget like Triangle Strategy or Octopath Traveler.

Sakura

Launching with 1 million sales wouldn't really be acceptable if you were trying to make a AAA turn based game and not a game based on PS3 tech. The budgets are bigger for modern games, so this isn't really disproving the kind of concerns someone like SQEX has. They make turn based stuff, but they have to keep it lower budget like Triangle Strategy or Octopath Traveler.
Have they released a well received AAA turn based game that didn't sell well though? I don't think their concerns are based in anything real.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Have they released a well received AAA turn based game that didn't sell well though? I don't think their concerns are based in anything real.
I think the last AAA turn based game they made was probably FFX in 2001. I think it would be great to see them try it again, but all I was saying is that this thread's sales data doesn't disprove anything. A AAA game launching at 1 million sales wouldn't be good enough for the cost to make it.

Last edited:
Look at Skyrim/Witcher 3 sales.

Real time has higher potential.

Doesn’t mean turn based will turn a loss. But definitely limits the audiance.

Sakura

I think the last AAA turn based game they made was probably FFX in 2001. I think it would be great to see them try it again, but all I was saying is that this thread's sales data doesn't disprove anything. A AAA game launching at 1 million sales wouldn't be good enough for the cost to make it.
1 million in 1 day for what is obviously a much lower budget game without the FF name value does seem like a pretty good data point showing that turn based games can do well, to me at least. I mean FFXVI only did 3 million in one week right? Sure FFXVI launched on only one console, but with all things considered turn based doesn't really seem to be much of a limiting factor for these kinds of games at least. I think there is merit in SE trying to return to the roots with a new FF game.

Look at Skyrim/Witcher 3 sales.

Real time has higher potential.

Doesn’t mean turn based will turn a loss. But definitely limits the audiance.
Those games didn't sell what they did just because they were real time combat.
You could just as well say not being open world, or not being an RPG, or not having a fantasy setting, etc will limit the audience because look at Skyrim/Witcher sales.

Those games didn't sell what they did just because they were real time combat.
You could just as well say not being open world, or not being an RPG, or not having a fantasy setting, etc will limit the audience because look at Skyrim/Witcher sales.
Something similar like Dragon Age Inquisition released at that time sold less. So that is anecdotal evidence.

But there are a few turn based games from China that seem to have broken into mainstream. I haven’t played them so don’t know how they achieved that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
For persona is a big result, it's still a somehow of a niche brand with a small budget.

But it's proof that a bigger name could do decent numbers even with a turn based combat.

Top Bottom