• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio has sold over 1 million copies worldwide

Fake

Gold Member
Sega is the publisher. They're acting like a good publisher. They're getting past games on Gamepass, they're getting it on PC, they're getting simultaneous worldwide releases, they're growing the audience. That's what they should be doing. Sega is doing the same thing with Yakuza and its working for them. Show new audiences the games and make it widely available. They're now getting that Amazon Yakuza show ready, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Persona doing something similar.

But SEGA have nothing to do with Atlus sucess.

Atlus made good games before SEGA dude. They already had a good reputation before. People should stop acting like Atlus is only good now. Atlus was always that good.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
But SEGA have nothing to do with Atlus sucess.

Atlus made good games before SEGA dude. They already had a good reputation before. People should stop acting like Atlus is only good now. Atlus was always that good.
I dont think I commented on the quality of the game. If Sega was actually involved with that I'd expect the releases to be much, much faster and on a much newer engine. I was just talking about things a publisher does to help grow their brands.

I’m really liking this “every Japanese game comes out on PC” era.
Meanwhile, Vanillaware:
You Are Dumb Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Punished Miku

I LOVE their games but their games like Unicorn Overlord make more sense on PC over Xbox.
Why over anything? You repeat this all the time. It doesnt hurt anything putting it on Xbox. I bought the game on Xbox. From what we've heard from Atlus, Vanillaware specifically is the one that doesnt want it on PC for some weird reason. They even had games locked to Wii and Vita so I dont get your obsession with trashing Xbox.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

that word of mouth was from persona 5, idk how you gauge word of mouth? your own personal circle? none of my friends care.
What word of mouth was from Persona 5? Persona 5 had great WoM and it ended up selling 10 million over the years.

Your friends not caring does not mean there is no word of mouth. Check the Steam CCU charts. Check the bestseller and most played lists on PSN and XBL. Check the Amazon charts. Check the user reviews on Steam. Check the Google Trends graph. Check the articles run by every single site for the last week declaring this a GOTY contender.

If you think none of that will translate into sustained interest and sales, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why over anything? You repeat this all the time. It doesnt hurt anything putting it on Xbox. I bought the game on Xbox. From what we've heard from Atlus Vanillaware specifically is the one that doesnt want it on PC for some weird reason.
My point is games like Unicorn Overlord has more audience on PC compare to Xbox. My hope is Vanillaware release their games for every platform but if they were going to choose, they should chosen PC over Xbox.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

My point is games like Unicorn Overlord has more audience on PC compare to Xbox. My hope is Vanillaware release their games for every platform but if they were going to choose, they should chosen PC over Xbox.
Sega puts their games everywhere. Vanillaware is requesting to keep it off PC.

simpatico

Yeah I’m sure the Xbox version is pushing massive numbers and not being outsold 20 to 1 or something.
Pretty sure he means Steam. When those PS5 cases are on a dusty shelf at the flea market, it's still going to be $19.99 on Steam and moving copies every month. Publishers are going to want those legs. Borderlands 2 is barely outside the Top 500 right now and sells thousands of copies every week. I guess the downside to publishers would be people giving a side eye to remaster cash ins like Until Dawn or AC IV.

Fake

Gold Member
People ? Who actually ? Everybody agrees to say that Atlus games were good before and are still good today.

How their releases are managed has totally changed in terms of timing and translations, and this can be witnessed by everybody as well. And this is thanks to SEGA.

You should back to my follow up reply. SEGA is not back by any means. Atlus should be praised for their games.

Or we can agree to disagree sir.

How many copies on Xbox I wonder
Fewer than 10,000 most likely

You can see from the poll in the OT the number of people buying on PS5 and PC vs Xbox

The only reason it has an Xbox version is because of MS moneyhats but I'm not complaining, Sega/Atlus gets free money and the game sells a million anyways

skyfinch

Damn, Series S carrying this game on it's shoulders! It's the best value for the money. Seriously, Microsoft should definitely think about making a Series S Pro. Lure in more developers and exclusive games with value and power.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Still here.

Come back when it has sold 4 million as claimed.

Also I was talking about 1 million on PC then forgotten in a month.

These figures are all Platforms and it includes shipped not sold through.
lmao. Moving the goalposts. I almost love it. If p5 can sell almost 3 mil on steam, Metaphor should be able to clear a mil easily on steam.

Fallout games, usually from a nobody/random normal human that'll have trouble with a single raider to a guy that could John Wick through a entire army of soldiers equipped with highly advanced power armor and energy weapons.

Alphagear

"Total sales" means just PC? And who claimed this game would sell 4 million? I said Persona 5 "eventually sold around 4 million". Never said Metaphor would do that.

Likewise I never said 1 million on ALL Platforms.

My post was on the Steam sales thread.

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Metaphor is 2 disc's on Xbox? Wtf.

Has there been any other 2 disc games on Xbox (or PS5). I don't buy disc's.
Both consoles have a few. PS5 had Forbidden West complete, FF7 rebirth, and (apparently) Baldur's Gate 3. I presume Xbox has far more. I mean, this game is only 41GB according to the PS5 box. Xbox doesn't seem to advertise the game size. I guess it's that PS5 file compression hard at work.

Last edited:
Reactions: XXL

XXL

Both consoles have a few. PS5 had Forbidden West complete, FF7 rebirth, and (apparently) Baldur's Gate 3. I presume Xbox has far more. I mean, this game is only 41GB according to the PS5 box. Xbox doesn't seem to advertise the game size. I guess it's that PS5 file compression hard at work.
Wild. I had no clue. I only buy digital.

More than that.
The 200 new Atlus employees were hired with Sega's money, Atlus is litteraly now within the same building as AM2, RGG Studios, creating exchanges, discussions, all using Sega's infrastructures, probably some tech as well. (Even with a no limit freedom, Atlus couldn't have hired so much people in the last ten years without Sega as an airbag...)

Same shit with Alien Isolation 2, Creative Assembly is currently hiring with Sega's money...
Yep, funny how you don't get the same shit from people when it comes to Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Naughty Dog. Then, all the credit goes to SONY and how they run their studios

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Awesome to see it succeed. There were many doubters who were saying the scores would be low and one guy here (with the Rex avatar) saying this would sell less than Visions of Mana. I thought they would be wrong as the core Atlus fanbase seems to be around 1-2mil going by P3 Reload sales and so 1mil+ for this within a month was an easy prediction. Here's to 2mil and then 3, 4, 5...!

Last edited:
Sega is the publisher. They're acting like a good publisher.

SEGA is also the 'employer' of Atlus and all its staff, which seems lost on some people here. The same ones of course who never point out that SONY is acting like a good publisher for Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch
There's a vast difference between just publishing a game from developing and publishing a game, from your In-House studios.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Metaphor is 2 disc's on Xbox? Wtf.

Has there been any other 2 disc games on Xbox (or PS5). I don't buy disc's.
Another poster mentioned the PS5 state of things, but actually there's quite a few multi-disc releases on Xbox as well (Remnant, 2, this Metaphor ReFantazio release, Baldur's Gate 3, etc.) For example, this Cyberpunk Ultimate Edition that I have in my collection for XSX came on 3 discs, and the Baldur's Gate 3 Deluxe Edition comes on 4 discs.

ViB0zd0.jpeg

xbox.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom