• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio has sold over 1 million copies worldwide

tmlDan

i expected this to sell fast on day one, not sure how many more it will sell tho - that persona rep is strong

I dont expect it to have legs

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A new JRPG IP potentially having outsold something like Star Wars Outlaws with just day one sales is both wild and awesome.
Outselling likely ffxvi day one both pc and ps5 combined too right?

What about ff7 remake or rebirth?

If that’s the case too then I wonder how square just still can’t see that obviously gamers are fine with turn based combat - just make it mad good.

Sakaguchis new game coming for example would be wonderful it had a budget more than $20. Having square money and visuals but the talent of him or atlus, is a recipe for success.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Outselling likely ffxvi day one both pc and ps5 combined too right?

What about ff7 remake or rebirth?
mark-wahlberg-what-no.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Already? Lol that's nice, SMT V took a while to sell that much.

Hope this turns into a new IP, I'm so much more into fantasy stuff than the highschool stuff of Persona.

Now all I need is an SMT VI announcement and for it to be a return to the cyberpunk style of II and IV. :lollipop_content:

Last edited:
SEGA and XBox are back #HappyDays LOL

To be serious well done SEGA. SEGA output is up there with Capcom's of late. Looking forward to Jet Set Radio 'like old times'

Frugal

Neo Member
Selling faster than Star Wars Outlaws lmao. The game looks great and i'll have to pick it up myself! Happy to see new IPs succeeding!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You and me both. I much prefer IV over V. Something about IV is just magical to me.
I love that game too! For me, it's the setting. Probably my favorite in all videogames, it's just so cool and original.

Hope we get an SMT IV remake some day, fixing the difficulty curve and fully realizing Kaneko's vision of the game's world and story.

TintoConCasera

Stupid AI human party is big part of that, they using wrong skill can screw you over specially with Smirk mechanic.
Haha yeah, that game mechanic was busted. I still remember all the memes about Walter casting Agi during the minotaur bossfight and how that could mean a game over.

But I was referring more to the overall difficulty of the game. Naraku is a great experience but once you reach Tokyo it starts being way too easy. IV: A was much better balanced, too bad the writting of that game sucks imo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Haha yeah, that game mechanic was busted. I still remember all the memes about Walter casting Agi during the minotaur bossfight and how that could mean a game over.

But I was referring more to the overall difficulty of the game. Naraku is a great experience but once you reach Tokyo it starts being way too easy. IV: A was much better balanced, too bad the writting of that game sucks imo.
I agree in that sense SMTV did much better job keeping up the difficulty, especially the Vengeance did smart balancing.

TintoConCasera

I agree in that sense SMTV did much better job keeping up the difficulty, especially the Vengeance did smart balancing.
Yeah... Something must have go wrong with SMT IV's development, but given how well done and well balanced V is, I have great expectations for the next entry.

Just hope we don't have to wait 10 years for it to happen. :goog_relieved:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Atlus and Ryu Ga Gotoku games are becoming mainstream, sonic is back on track, and Sega is reviving their older IPs

maybe the 2020's wont be so shitty after all
It's amazing when you make titles multi-platform they tend to have a better chance of success. .....and build up a fan base for future titles.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
100% owned by SEGA.

To invest this good takes SEGA
More than that.
The 200 new Atlus employees were hired with Sega's money, Atlus is litteraly now within the same building as AM2, RGG Studios, creating exchanges, discussions, all using Sega's infrastructures, probably some tech as well. (Even with a no limit freedom, Atlus couldn't have hired so much people in the last ten years without Sega as an airbag...)

Same shit with Alien Isolation 2, Creative Assembly is currently hiring with Sega's money...

cireza

Oh right, the company that used to release their games several years later in the US, and not translate anything in Europe... when the games were actually released at all.

You can thank SEGA for kicking Atlus in the balls and forcing them into the modern era of releasing games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh right, the company that used to release their games several years later in the US, and not translate anything in Europe... when the games were actually released at all.

You can thank SEGA for kicking Atlus in the balls and forcing them into the modern era of releasing games.
Sure SEGA made release their games at more platforms and much closer to western release date but this is pure Atlus game, when good game comes credit should go to devs not publishers.

It’s like crediting Activision for Sekiro’s success.

Topher

Gold Member
Still here.

Come back when it has sold 4 million as claimed.

Also I was talking about 1 million on PC then forgotten in a month.

These figures are all Platforms and it includes shipped not sold through.

It will be forgotten in a month with total sales numbering 1 million.

Let’s get serious here.

"Total sales" means just PC? And who claimed this game would sell 4 million? I said Persona 5 "eventually sold around 4 million". Never said Metaphor would do that.

Fake

Gold Member
Sega is the reason the idiots at Atlus released this day one on PC.

Is good fo Atlus releasing games on PC, but their sucess have nothing to do with that decission at all.

Atlus make good games, SEGA did two good movies buying and not messing up Atlus after the acquisition. Nothing more.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Is good fo Atlus releasing games on PC, but their sucess have nothing to do with that decission at all.

Atlus make good games, SEGA did two good movies buying and not messing up Atlus after the acquisition. Nothing more.
Sega is the publisher. They're acting like a good publisher. They're getting past games on Gamepass, they're getting it on PC, they're getting simultaneous worldwide releases, they're growing the audience. That's what they should be doing. Sega is doing the same thing with Yakuza and its working for them. Show new audiences the games and make it widely available. They're now getting that Amazon Yakuza show ready, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Persona doing something similar.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sure SEGA made release their games at
It’s like crediting Activision for Sekiro’s success.
Bad example, Sekiro was developped and published by From Software in japan... Activision is for worldwide release.

On the other hand Sega is the reason why Atlus tripled its staff and allowed to fund bigger productions like Metaphor.

Atlus is part of Sega enterprise.
Atlus works in Sega's building with the AMs, RGG...
Atlus uses Sega infrastructures like AM2 or RGG.
Cannot say the same with Activision and From Software...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’d like to thank Sega for single-handedly creating Metaphor (and the Persona series) and saving the JRPG genre. We owe them a debt of gratitude.

IMO it’s time for Sega to make a Dreamcast 2 and make all future Atlus titles exclusive. Metaphor 2 could easily move 6 million this way.

Awesome, but i will wait for a sale. Already have my two ps5 games I am playing (sh2 and astrobot)

Hell I still need to get past Digital Devil Saga, Devil survivor 2, on PS2 (just got the saga) and Persona 5.
Also SMT5v For switch.

I will be getting Y's X as my next game to play as I can play that on the switch. Really hoping this comes to Switch 2.

Top Bottom