• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

adelante

Excellent preview up at CVG: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=238512

...There's a real community here. People squeeze past, hang washing on lines. You'll see a woman chopping and cooking and a man talking with his son. Further along there's a bar, a dining hall, a group sitting around a fire, one of them playing a guitar. You can listen in on all of their conversations, and although they sometimes all bleed into one, with distance and volume not always proportionate, it means the whole place feels alive. There are remnants of Half-Life 2 here and the atmosphere has a Fallout feel, except it's tight and cluttered, and the people feel organic whereas Fallout was sprawling and somewhat static.

Take for example your first venture into the outside world. Moscow is literally a bombsite with broken roads and buildings beyond derelict. You have to negotiate the terrain to find a path to where you need to be and every now and then you'll hear a screech from a mutant somewhere in the distance. You'll instinctively spring to action, take aim and scan your surroundings. Scarier still is when you see a mutant in the distance, or even worse, when you turn a corner in one of the bombed out buildings and almost bump into the back of one. What's special though is that if you're lucky you can get out of there before the mutant turns around to see you. Until then, you can almost observe them and it feels like they'd still be living, breathing and savaging whether you were there or not.

kitch9 said:
Its a TWIMPTB game, I fully expect ATI's finest to be nerfed in some obscure way like the Batman fiasco.

(I really dislike Nvidia ATM....:lol )

wtf? devs can actually nerf their games for certain cards? I have a 5870 and if this is the case i wont buy game on any platform out of spite.

This looks really interesting and the CVG article has me all but sold, however, RFG's ATI support was pretty iffy so the TWIMTBP is making me nervous. Hopefully a few benchmarks find there way into the wild.

MiniDitka

Didn't really know anything about this game but after reading the initial post(nice job on the thread adelante)went to Gamestop and preordered it.

Calantus

I'm definitely buying this, but since i just discovered the game a couple hours ago, i'm not gonna spoil a lot of it for myself. I haven't had a fresh play of any game in a long time, i've always over saturated myself with information about the games i buy. I'm going to swing and see if it's a miss or not.

Honestly I don't think I have seen PC gameplay so far or if I have it wasn't on anything but medium settings. I think STALKER looks absolutely amazing so I would really like to see gameplay of Metro on high settings. Anybody have a link?

I know this might be a stupid question, but does anyone know what the "Premium embossed outer packaging" looks like exactly? All the pics on various sites just show of what appears to be a normal case (just minus the classification logo).

As hyped as I am for this game, I refuse to pay $108Aust for it at EB Games. Zaavi have the normal edition with free Avatar stuff for around $58 Aust, and GAME UK has the LE with the "Premium embossed outer packaging" and promo cards for $73 Aust.

All I am interested in with the LE is the case, but I don't want to pay $15 for a case that turns out to be shit :p

adelante

LovingSteam said:
Honestly I don't think I have seen PC gameplay so far or if I have it wasn't on anything but medium settings. I think STALKER looks absolutely amazing so I would really like to see gameplay of Metro on high settings. Anybody have a link?
The German GamePro preview video is taken off a PC build; game looks pretty sharp in that.

Not sure if this is on high settings but here's a new video interview with the author, Dmitry, and some direct-feed footage of the PC version: http://betaplayer.dailymotion.com/video/xcieru_na-kanapie-metro-2033_videogames

Oops, I should have mentioned that I am referring to the 360 version. I'd love to get it on PC, but there's no chance in hell that my PC will play it, even on low settings. I think if I even attempted to run it on PC, my PC would just burst into flames and melt into a puddle as it screams in pain :lol

timkunedo

dark10x said:
One thing I'm wondering about is gamepad support on the PC. As this is also an X360 game, gamepad support would be a fantastic addition. Without it, the appeal of the PC version shrinks significantly for me. :\

They confirmed on their twitter page that it would have controller support.

kamspy

vocab said:
My $36 newegg copy has been charged on my card. Probably gonna ship out in a day or two.

Holy shit mine too. Let's see if Newegg can provide a similar shipping experience with release day games as Amazon.

Has anyone here every preordered a game from Newegg before?

FrankT

And paid.

kamspy said:
Holy shit mine too. Let's see if Newegg can provide a similar shipping experience with release day games as Amazon.

Has anyone here every preordered a game from Newegg before?

Newegg has been known to ship before release date from time to time.

Volcynika

Stallion Free said:
Newegg just shipped my copy and it's in Kentucky right now (I'm in Connecticut) so I expect it to arrive Monday (damn weekends).

Yeah, mine just shipped to

Ship date 03/11/2010 19:06:09
Estimated delivery 03/16/2010

Now it's heading from Minnesota to Tennessee (I'm in AL), so maybe I might get it Monday! But Tuesday with everyone else is ok too.

dark10x said:
One thing I'm wondering about is gamepad support on the PC. As this is also an X360 game, gamepad support would be a fantastic addition. Without it, the appeal of the PC version shrinks significantly for me. :\

Already confirmed. :D

fuck sucks about the combat being crap. :( I am not one of those atmosphere over gameplay guys so it may be a deal breaker for me. Although their comments about the level design gives me hope. wait for more reviews i guess.

kamspy

WHY HASN'T MY NEWEGG ORDER SHIPPED!!!1

Seriously, if they shipped mine from Kentucky today I'd have it tomorrow!

Ricker

The thing im wondering about the combat...I noticed in most of the Video`s,there`s no crosshair,maybe there`s an option to add a crosshair,to make it easier or something...personnaly I don`t really like no crosshair for aiming...still all the rest seems good enough to overcome the sluggish gunplay,still getting this.

MMaRsu said:
Why dont you read the OP.

I tried and I coulnd't find it.....too much other stuff.

edit: Oh I see it, it's in the picture....I'm at work, trying not to have the pictures draw attention to my screen

and you could have just as easily answered my question, you obviously know.

panda21

if this doesnt come out on steam in the UK then valve had better erect some magazine racks at their HQ so i can come and knock them down :mad:

panda21 said:
if this doesnt come out on steam in the UK then valve had better erect some magazine racks at their HQ so i can come and knock them down :mad:

Why would even consider buying it through Steam anyway? Its a Steamworks title and can be had for as little as £21.50 online, you've got nothing to gain by paying £30 or £35 through Steam.

Top Bottom